Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Old 29th July 2016, 04:42   #481
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I saw some legit downloads of this latest version a while back and I was wondering if everything is now good on the 5.1 channel order playback?

Anybody?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:16   #482
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I only have stereo files, sorry. I'm no surround user at all, I only have 2 speakers (and happy with it! )

I only downloaded the new plugin to see whether it works "generally", and it does!

Best regards!
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 22:10   #483
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
I only have stereo files, sorry. I'm no surround user at all, I only have 2 speakers (and happy with it! )

I only downloaded the new plugin to see whether it works "generally", and it does!

Best regards!
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 2nd August 2016, 22:31   #484
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
TT,

maybe if DrO gets out his proposed software, he might include your encoders and some other stuff, if u'd allow it? it would def help spread it.

and actually, maybe Egg would too? of course, if it was Egg, i def think the jtfe disaster shouldn't be repeated, meaning he'd need to have "forever access" to your code.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 01:46   #485
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
TT,

maybe if DrO gets out his proposed software, he might include your encoders and some other stuff, if u'd allow it? it would def help spread it.

and actually, maybe Egg would too? of course, if it was Egg, i def think the jtfe disaster shouldn't be repeated, meaning he'd need to have "forever access" to your code.
Concerning bundling my plugins, I don't like it since I can't see downloads of the bundled software. I understand that it would radicaly increase my visibility and that's the only reason I would consider allowing it. There could also be legal issues that would need to be adressed.

All of my software is closed source (except for a couple of exceptions, mostly example stuff) and would be cumbersome to manage and update even if it were open as I am using a number of non-standard Borland specific C++ language extensions (closer, property, etc...) that are not supported by MSVC.
Old 3rd August 2016, 02:08   #486
MrSinatra
Forum King

all valid. just to be clear i wasn't for or against open sourcing the code, just for spreading it.

in general though, i philosophically like open source, but of course the choice rests solely with the dev, as it should.

(maybe their installers could include a step to separately DL and install your code as part of the install routine? but i doubt either would go for that. or maybe they would share the DL numbers with you? better yet, would be a function in winamp to report statistics on its usage back to the mothership, that could say what users are using, how prefs are set, etc. of course, it would have to be opt out eligible)

--
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:28   #487
kzuse

Just my two cents: I really like the idea of thinktink's Opus support being bundled into the official installer, be it directly included or via download option.

It would really spread the use of Opus, which is an excellent Codec, and it also would be a great thing for Winamp to be able to say that Winamp is "natively" capable of playing this great codec.

Best regards,
Fabian
Old 4th September 2016, 13:30   #488
TimbreWolf

Hi thinktink,

Thanks very much for making this plugin. I've just got it working on .opus files now and much appreciated. It doesn't appear to work with either .ogg or .webm containers but doesn't bother me. I'm assuming that is the issue posted on this thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=3068061

TW
TimbreWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 18:12   #489
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbreWolf View Post
Hi thinktink,

Thanks very much for making this plugin. I've just got it working on .opus files now and much appreciated. It doesn't appear to work with either .ogg or .webm containers but doesn't bother me. I'm assuming that is the issue posted on this thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=3068061

TW
Inside Winamp there are other reader interfaces that use WASABI for reading codecs from common container files like MP4 and others but they aren't documented in the current Winamp SDK. I don't know if I'll be able to find headers for the interfaces but I'll try.
Old 4th September 2016, 18:37   #490
TimbreWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Inside Winamp there are other reader interfaces that use WASABI for reading codecs from common container files like MP4 and others but they aren't documented in the current Winamp SDK. I don't know if I'll be able to find headers for the interfaces but I'll try.
OK, thanks. Like I said, I don't think it's critical as one can easily convert to a .opus. Though not everyone might understand that so would be nice if possible.
Old 5th September 2016, 03:26   #491
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
  • ... has not yet been applied to the encoder.
Version 2.0.4.8e is now available for download.

Changes:
  • Windows/Vorbis channel order remap has now been applied in the encoder version 2.0.3.3.

Since this update only applies to the encoder I didn't change the version number of the input plugin and simply tacked on an "e" (for encoder) to the end of the the installer filename/version string to differentiate it from the previous installer. The input plugin remains unchanged from the previous installer package.

Download
Old 14th September 2016, 11:11   #492
kzuse

Quote:
I've just got it working on .opus files now and much appreciated. It doesn't appear to work with either .ogg or .webm containers
That's not exactly true: it DOES read Opus from Ogg Containers, because that is what .opus files technically are!

Yes, they also can have an .OGG file extension, but the problem is that this extension is "grabbed" by the Ogg/Vorbis input plugin! So either the Vorbis input plugin should be changed to pass through non-Vorbis Ogg files to the Opus plugin, or the other way round.

Regarding the WebM container: that's right, the plugin can't handle this currently, but Opus in WebM is a streaming-only and/or Google/Chrome-only thing, isn't it? I'm not really sure whether support for this is important to the masses...

Best regards,
kzuse

(PS: Will test the new version in a few days...)
Old 14th September 2016, 11:54   #493
TimbreWolf

Quote:
That's not exactly true: it DOES read Opus from Ogg Containers, because that is what .opus files technically are!

Yes, they also can have an .OGG file extension, but the problem is that this extension is "grabbed" by the Ogg/Vorbis input plugin! So either the Vorbis input plugin should be changed to pass through non-Vorbis Ogg files to the Opus plugin, or the other way round.
OK, thanks for the explanation. Although from a user perspective it is perfectly true that the plugin does not currently provide the functionality to play Opus audio in a .ogg container.
If nothing official is likely to happen with Winamp any time soon, then I guess the "other way round" solution is the only option at the moment (i.e. Opus plugin grabs all .ogg files and passes on Vorbis files to the in_Vorbis.dll)?

As an aside, I've just tried an experiment to see what would happen if I renamed a .ogg Opus file to .opus. Trying to open this crashed Winamp. I presume this isn't a surprising result but I have the error log here if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Regarding the WebM container: that's right, the plugin can't handle this currently, but Opus in WebM is a streaming-only and/or Google/Chrome-only thing, isn't it? I'm not really sure whether support for this is important to the masses...
I agree that it seems like a lower priority. Though this issue has already been encountered by another user as noted above. I presume it is mainly encountered via downloads from YouTube and the like.
Old 23rd September 2016, 04:20   #494
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:

As an aside, I've just tried an experiment to see what would happen if I renamed a .ogg Opus file to .opus. Trying to open this crashed Winamp. I presume this isn't a surprising result but I have the error log here if anyone is interested.

Please, both the error log and the offending file.
Old 25th September 2016, 11:43   #495
TimbreWolf

Quote:
Please, both the error log and the offending file.
No problem. Here's the file with the .ogg extension, and here's the error report.

As it is, the file will play OK in VLC but not in Winamp as discussed above. Changing the extension to .opus, it will still play in VLC OK but crashes Winamp and the provided error log. Let me know if you need any more details.
Old 25th September 2016, 19:05   #496
thinktink
Forum King

I found the crash in my plugin, I wasn't checking the return handle from the libopus library's file handling API and was trying to execute libopus API commands on a non-existent file handle: oops. After fixing that I was able to see libopus returning an error code on the call to open the file: -139. In the opusfile headers that code is defined as "/**The first or last granule position of a link failed basic validity checks.*/
#define OP_EBADTIMESTAMP (-139)"

When I saw that I ran the command line Opus tools "opusinfo.exe" and it gave me this:
code:
C:\My Documents\WinampOpus\opus-tools-0.1.8-win32>opusinfo "Muscle and Marrow - Black Hole-y1dsFoB8JFk.opus"
Processing file "Muscle and Marrow - Black Hole-y1dsFoB8JFk.opus"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 1fe6feaa): type opus
Encoded with Lavf57.48.101
User comments section follows...
language=eng
DURATION=00:04:51.821000000
COMPATIBLE_BRANDS=iso6avc1mp41
MAJOR_BRAND=dash
MINOR_VERSION=0
encoder=Lavf57.48.101
WARNING: Samples with negative granpos in stream 1
WARNING: Invalid zero byte packet in stream 1
Opus stream 1:
WARNING: stream 1 has more than one packet of end trimming
Pre-skip: 312
Playback gain: 0 dB
Channels: 2
Original sample rate: 48000Hz
Packet duration: 20.0ms (max), 20.0ms (avg), 20.0ms (min)
Page duration: 580.0ms (max), 271.1ms (avg), 0.0ms (min)
Total data length: 4598702 bytes (overhead: 1.27%)
Playback length: 4m:51.713s
Average bitrate: 126.1 kb/s, w/o overhead: 124.5 kb/s
Logical stream 1 ended

C:\My Documents\WinampOpus\opus-tools-0.1.8-win32>

There is something wrong with the file but it shouldn't be causing Opus libraries to choke completely. It might be because VLC is not using the latest libraries which might be less fault tolerant (on purpose).
Old 25th September 2016, 19:26   #497
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
No problem. Here's the file ...
Here's the audio re-encoded with BogProg Support for Opus encoder.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/neqp2y5766...B8JFk.zip?dl=0
Old 25th September 2016, 19:50   #498
thinktink
Forum King

Version 2.0.5.9 now available for download.

Changes:
  • Fixed crash issue with invalid or malformed files.
Old 15th November 2016, 06:10   #499
j7n

I apologize for the lack of respose for me. The latest version plays 6 channel audio files correctly.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 02:55   #500
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7n View Post
I apologize for the lack of respose for me. The latest version plays 6 channel audio files correctly.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 26th November 2016, 20:16   #501
EriksR

Hi, if you rip an opus file from youtube it doesn't play for me (in Winamp with the plugin) however, it plays fine on other players like media player classic & imports fine to Audacity. I'm not sure if this is fixable and I don't think I'm allowed to upload streamrips here but if you want I could send you an example?
EriksR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 21:35   #502
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksR View Post
Hi, if you rip an opus file from youtube it doesn't play for me (in Winamp with the plugin) however, it plays fine on other players like media player classic & imports fine to Audacity. I'm not sure if this is fixable and I don't think I'm allowed to upload streamrips here but if you want I could send you an example?
I don't know if I can legally support stream rips but, out of shear morbid curiosity, what did you stream rip it with and to what format?
Old 27th November 2016, 02:26   #503
EriksR

https://ba.3dyd.com/home/ This one I tried using for opus, according to MediaInfo it creates such files
Quote:
General
Complete name : C:\example.opus
Format : Ogg
File size : 3.32 MiB
Duration : 3 min
Overall bit rate : 136 kb/s

Audio
Format : Opus
Duration : 3 min
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Compression mode : Lossy
So it seems kinda strange to me that (to my best understanding) it has opus codec, but ogg file format, and opus extension.

But if you take a raw stream (no extension) from the browser, or from https://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php it's a similar story. MPC plays them but winamp not.

Raw stream:
Quote:
General
Complete name : C:\videoplayback
Format : WebM
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 1.70 MiB
Duration : 2 min
Overall bit rate : 116 kb/s
Writing application : google
Writing library : google

Audio
ID : 1
Format : Opus
Codec ID : A_OPUS
Duration : 2 min
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
So... I don't know if you find this useful or is it a fundamental problem with the files I'm trying to play. Btw, the .opus file you uploaded above works fine with your plugin.

edit: I sent you the files if you want to check it out
Old 27th November 2016, 04:49   #504
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksR View Post

edit: I sent you the files if you want to check it out
Yes I do, thank you. According to the description they seem like they should play fine. Won't for sure 'till I poke them with a hex editor.
Old 27th November 2016, 23:01   #505
thinktink
Forum King

The file labeled "Example.opus" has two problems:
  1. It's missing the required vendor field (used to indicate what was used to encode the file).
  2. It has a malformed header that has negative offset samples, which doesn't make sense for audio. libopusfile returned error -139 (bad timestamp)
If memory serves, I've seen these kinds of errors before from the lavf encoder.

The file labeled "videoplayback" is not actually an opus file. The libopusfile libraries do not support opening video files or opus data packaged into anything other than an Ogg Squish container. As I'm using the libopusfile libraries for decoding the audio it won't be compatible. I'm hoping I'll get a response to the thread here to someday resolve this issue.
Old 29th November 2016, 03:41   #506
EriksR

Quote:
The file labeled "Example.opus" has two problems:
  1. It's missing the required vendor field (used to indicate what was used to encode the file).
  2. It has a malformed header that has negative offset samples, which doesn't make sense for audio. libopusfile returned error -139 (bad timestamp)
If memory serves, I've seen these kinds of errors before from the lavf encoder.

The file labeled "videoplayback" is not actually an opus file. The libopusfile libraries do not support opening video files or opus data packaged into anything other than an Ogg Squish container. As I'm using the libopusfile libraries for decoding the audio it won't be compatible. I'm hoping I'll get a response to the thread here to someday resolve this issue.
Very cool of you to poke into these files and make it clear, thank you.
Old 10th February 2017, 21:58   #507
crz.sotona

Hello thinktink.

It seems that your website's domain name has expired less than week ago, making all downloads unavailable, as you forbidden to index download.php in site's robots.txt.

Could you please upload opus input plugin somewhere and/or post it here?

Thanks in advance!
crz.sotona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 18:20   #508
thinktink
Forum King

I ran out of money for the domain/host. Not enough donations (not any at all actually.) I can't afford to put a mirror up. I'm in the middle of another project and I don't know if/when I'll get around to posting them somewhere else.
Old 14th February 2017, 23:27   #509
MrSinatra
Forum King

hey TT,

sorry to hear that, maybe this helps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...sting_services

--
Old 9th March 2017, 03:51   #510
STiSev

Please help!
I need to play opus files and the latest version of this plugin is not hosted anywhere.

Can anyone host a mirror? Pretty pretty please?
STiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 00:40   #511
thinktink
Forum King

Attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BogProgOpus2_0_5_9Setup.zip (1.65 MB, 106 views)
Old 17th March 2017, 00:42   #512
STiSev

Thank you very much for hosting!

EDIT: Looks like it's working... yay!

Winamp is back to 100% shape now.
STiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
opus