Old 6th September 2004, 12:10   #1
sukerman

Fast F / Rewind duration

Hi All,

I'm using Winamp as part of a dictation + transcription system, and I need users to be able to skip forward and back on the recordings. The default skip of 5 seconds is too large to be useful, I need to be able to change this to 1 second. Is there any way I can change this or am I going to need to get the my hands dirty with the source and build a custom version? If this is necessary I am happy to commision somebody to build this custom version for me.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Steve
sukerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 13:42   #2
DrO

As you've found the default is fixed at 5 seconds but a plugin should be able to sort this out for you by overriding the standard Winamp processing to allow for a customised value.

I'll have a look at a test plugin to see how well this will work tonight (since i want to have a decent a-b repeater plugin as well since i'm personally not keen on the current ones)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 01:37   #3
DrO

Repeater v0.1
  • Allows for customising of the fast forward and rewind amount
  • Size is changed from right click menu on back and forward buttons
get v0.1

sukerman: hopefully this fits what you need

-daz

Update:
Scroll down for v0.2
Old 9th September 2004, 17:12   #4
sukerman

Bingo

Thanks a lot !! Works a treat.

Was just about to download the SDK and
waste a load of time.

Really Appreciated,

Cheers,

S.
sukerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 18:20   #5
DrO

cool

-daz
Old 21st September 2004, 07:26   #6
Carno

Haha, this is one of those features that I didn't know I'd use until you made it. What I like is longer intervals of ff/rew so skipping ahead 10 seconds is perfect. However as I try it I'm unable to put a checkmark next to 10 seconds on the fwd button. I tested it on several different classic skins including the base skin. That tiny bug is insignificant--9 secs is just as good. DrO, if I haven't said it before, I appreciate it.

Best,
Carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 07:37   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Hmmm. I missed this thread till now, when you just posted, Carno.
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
Repeater v0.1
  • Allows for customising of the fast forward and rewind amount
  • Size is changed from right click menu on back and forward buttons
get v0.1
Great work once AGAIN, DrO! And once again, with nothing more than a moment's notice.

DrO is the Magical Genie of Winamp plugins / enhancement!!
Ask once and your wish is granted!!

Forums member: "Hello. Can somebody make this or do that for Winamp?"
DrO: "Hmmm. I don't see why not."

DrO: "Your wish has been granted!"

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 08:08   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Carno
Haha, this is one of those features that I didn't know I'd use until you made it. What I like is longer intervals of ff/rew so skipping ahead 10 seconds is perfect. However as I try it I'm unable to put a checkmark next to 10 seconds on the fwd button. I tested it on several different classic skins including the base skin. That tiny bug is insignificant--9 secs is just as good. DrO, if I haven't said it before, I appreciate it.

Best,
how did i manage not to notice that i'll put up a 0.1a build later on to fix this

Nunzio390: hehe, is good to see the genie back around here again

-daz
Old 21st September 2004, 08:17   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Yeah Darren...
I haven't used the Magical Genie for awhile. But it's always been held in reserve for you.

Hmmm.. Methinks I'll go now and edit the Winamp section of the main page at my site to include the Genie under the accreditation I already have for you there.
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 01:29   #10
DrO

Repeater v0.2
  • Fixed menus so all options now work
  • Added a custom entry (set in the config dialog)
  • Tweaked the menu strings slightly
  • Added option to 'Continue jump into next/prev track' (only works for next track at the moment)
  • Few other code tweaks
get v0.2

-daz
Old 22nd September 2004, 13:12   #11
Carno

Thank ye, sir.

/edit/ This is pretty cool. 3 secs rewind is just right for "did I hear a rip error" and 30 secs ff is just right for "let's skip to the chorus".

Last edited by Carno; 22nd September 2004 at 14:18.
Carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 13:41   #12
DrO

that's alright, them bugsies need to be killed anyway

-daz
Old 20th October 2004, 18:24   #13
Stratyon

Hmmm I was thinking about this one...
Would it be possible to add a menu option to the forward/backward buttons to crossfade into the next/previous track either in this plugin or a separate one?
It would only crossfade then (for instance if you alt-click the buttons) and not affect normal winamp playback. I'd like a feature like that anyway
Stratyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2004, 15:53   #14
jyeee

Send a message via ICQ to jyeee Send a message via AIM to jyeee
Wicked cool!

As a suggested feature, maybe you could make it so that a different amount of seeking is done with a SHIFT+Arrow.

For instance:
- R_Arrow seeks forward 2 seconds (as already implemented)
- SHIFT+R_Arrow seeks forward 30 seconds
jyeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 22:05   #15
lo0p

It isn't working for me

Had v5.03 of winamp, didn't work.
Installed latest version, still didn't work.
Uninstalled winamp and reinstalled latest version of winamp lite, still doesn't work.

Is there anything special I need to do to get this plugin to work? I can see the plugin in the "general purpose" section and can configure it, but the rw and ff still comes in 5 second intervals. Thanks in advance.
lo0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 22:13   #16
DrO

i can't see why it wouldn't be working. does it show up in the general plugin list in the preferences, also are there extra menus on the previous and next buttons.

probably more i should ask but i can't think of anything at the moment

-daz
Old 29th December 2004, 22:20   #17
lo0p

Thanks for the fast reply!

Didn't notice those extra menus. Just set the rr and ff to 1 second each through those menus and now it works great. Not sure if its a bug but setting them up through the menu in the "general purpose" section didn't work for me. Doesn't really matter as long as it works, one way or another. Thanks again!
lo0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 22:10   #18
siebe83
Forum King

I'm doing some transcription work at the moment: just wanted to say this plugin has been of great help, thanks

I was a little confused with the config at first as well. With this plugin you can customize the seeking time, so I thought setting 'Custom times' in config at two secs would do the trick.
Maybe a short line in the config like 'select the seeking time by right-clicking the rw/ff button' or something like that would be nice.

Damnit, why can I never thank someone without adding criticism

/hopes no-one will kill him for bumping a two years old thread

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 22:14   #19
DrO

heh, i really need to sort out the preferences since i have a feeling the duration boxes on it aren't working correctly (well mine is showing 0 for both at the moment though the menu part is fine). will have to see what i can do this weekend to at least maybe bump this straight upto a 1.0 release

-daz
Old 7th December 2006, 22:17   #20
siebe83
Forum King

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that...
Indeed those boxes are behaving a bit odd: clicking the down arrow increases the time, and the up arrow decreases it. Apart from that they seem to work ok here.

Old 10th December 2006, 16:20   #21
DrO

new build

i couldn't get the up/down parts to work incorrectly but i never tried it with the pre-changed build (0.3alpha5 i think it was) so i'm not sure. anyhoo, have a 1.0 at last

-daz
Old 10th December 2006, 18:57   #22
siebe83
Forum King

Cheers!

Nice, a fast seek mode. I don't think I'll use that specific feature myself, but I noticed some things...

In config the three top radio buttons conflict with the two radio buttons below.

The delay times do not always have the effect you expect (i.e. slower/faster seeking). It looks like the custom delays only work when they're both set to the same time?

Finally, it would be nice if the rewinding/forwarding mode is automatically ended when you stop the track (such that when you start another track it doesn't immediately resume seeking).
And maybe it's an idea to also stop the seek automatically when you uncheck 'Use on Rewind/FF'. At a certain point I had a 'hanging' rewinding seek (i.e. I couldn't find out how to get it to stop seeking) and it took me a while to find out I had to re-enable the FSM option to be able to stop it, heh.

Old 10th December 2006, 19:19   #23
DrO

#1: yup, need to fix that (bit sloppy on my side that)
#2: i'd have to double check things
#3: it shouldn't be continuing the fast seeking when it hits the next track i don't think (it didn't my end) but i'll double-check that as well since i'd gotten little feedback on that mode when it was added in last year (other than it doesn't do what i want, heh - since holding down the buttons was the requested activation for the mode but that's just not viable with the messages i can trap)
#4: pretty easy to do

i'll have a look into the changes over the next few days (depends on how heavy things at work are as to when in the week i'll be able to do the update)

-daz
Old 10th December 2006, 19:59   #24
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
i'd gotten little feedback on that mode when it was added in last year
Little confused here...
Are you saying there were any public builds between the 0.2 version above and the current 1.0 version?
Since 0.2 was the most recent I could find, and there's no fast seek mode in that version...

Quote:
i'll have a look into the changes over the next few days (depends on how heavy things at work are as to when in the week i'll be able to do the update)
No hurry

Btw, I just noticed that when 'Continue the jump into next / previous track' is checkmarked, for me it jumps to the same track instead. I.e. if I seek across the beginning of the track I end up at the end of the same track instead of at the end of the previous one...

(small thingy: while you're at it maybe also change the menu entry 'fast scan mode' to 'fast seek mode' (when right-clicking Prev/Next button), just for consistency )

Old 10th December 2006, 20:05   #25
DrO

this will provide the answer about my versioning comments

Quote:
Btw, I just noticed that when 'Continue the jump into next / previous track' is checkmarked, for me it jumps to the same track instead. I.e. if I seek across the beginning of the track I end up at the end of the same track instead of at the end of the previous one...
which way were you seeking?

yeah, the text can be changed

-daz
Old 10th December 2006, 20:12   #26
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
this will provide the answer about my versioning comments
Ah, I see!
Quote:
which way were you seeking?
Either way:
to the left and I end up at the end of the same track; to the right and I end up at the beginning of the same track.

I do not have manual playlist advance enabled.

Old 4th April 2007, 17:14   #27
nowotny

Hello.

I was looking for the solution for my problem:

1. I'd like to be able to use global hotkeys (CTRL+ALT+LEFT/RIGHT) to do a small (10 seconds) jump backwards/forwards.
2. I'd like to be able to use global hotkeys (CTRL+ALT+UP/DOWN) to do a big (60 seconds) jump backwards/forwards.

I managed to achieve the first point by using Repeater to extend the default 5 second forward/backward jump and assigning the global hotkeys to Playback:Forward/Rewind actions.

Now I'm looking on how to achieve the second point. Could Repeater be extended to support small/big jumps? Could it add custom actions to global hotkeys?
nowotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 22:03   #28
benny2007

Hi,

what nowotny is writing before, is exactly what i am looking for.

Is that existing, help would be great...

benny
benny2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 01:31   #29
rick7

The Repeater plug-in is what I'm looking for in listening to podcasts; thanks a million to DrO. Because of this plug-in, I'm gravitating more and more to Winamp (haven't used iTunes in a week now!).

Has there been discussion of enhancing Repeater so that it adds new 'jumper' keys; e.g. Ctrl-Arrow or Shift-Arrow could move a different amount forward/backward than Arrow? For instance, RightArrow = 10 seconds forward, Ctrl-RightArrow = 60 seconds, etc?

[edit> JonnyMac] Post moved from another thread. This the discussion thread for the Repeater plug-in.
rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 14:40   #30
DrO

i don't think it has been discussed before doing that though the ctrl/shift+arrow actions are already used for other winamp actions from what i remember. is something i can look into but cannot say when i'll be able to find the time as i'm commited to other projects at the current time.

have added this to my current todo list for checking out so will see what happens....

-daz
Old 21st November 2008, 16:48   #31
rick7

OK, daz -- whenever you can take a look at it it would be MUCH appreciated. Just any additional pair of keys that could be programmed to do Rewind/FF separately from the Left and Right arrow keys.

Your work here is very much appreciated.

-- a long-time iTunes user liking Winamp more and more
rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:00   #32
zoobiewa

Send a message via AIM to zoobiewa
I cannot seem to find the plugin on your website. I've searched every page for "repeater" but I can't seem to see it. You have links to v0.1 and v0.2 directly, here, but nothing further.
zoobiewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:38   #33
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
0.2 would be the last version of it.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:01   #34
JonnyMac

Repeater 1.0.7, get it while supplies last.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:24   #35
zoobiewa

Send a message via AIM to zoobiewa
Nice. Thanks. You mean 1.0.1, right? That's what is on the page.
zoobiewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 04:07   #36
chotto

guess development's stopped on this. anyway, thanks for the plugin. no idea why winamp won't even allow us to customize in options how many secs to FF/RW. seems like a necessary feature, if the winamp gods would only notice.
chotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 19:31   #37
DrO

if there's been no need to update the plugin due to it working correctly then there's no need for me to do further development or are you trying to say there's a bug in the plugin?

-daz
Old 24th January 2011, 02:02   #38
nastajus

Isn't working, don't know why

This isn't working for me, with the latest 1.1 version here. I don't know why.

I'm using version 5.581. Just whatever I downloaded a little while ago, I've been ignoring the prompt to update to 5.6 or whatever.

Perhaps I'm just using it wrong. I've set the time to 20 seconds, then I close the plugin, then I try hitting left or right arrow keys and nothing new happens. It's already after restarting. I've tried using the mouse to click the skinned buttons too, still 5 seconds. And I've tried all the versions linked on this page, too. I'm lost.

But here's a twist, which may or may not be the cause of my problem, but I highly doubt it : I'm using a French translated version of Winamp, from http://todae.fr/ I have no idea if this is the Winamp team here likes or doesn't like it, it's just something I went and installed in my computer for whatever reason. But I still highly doubt an interface language change should affect anything underneath, considering my other plugins work fine. They have a forum there, I could ask, but I believe I should be asking here.

Any ideas???

Lost,

Ian
nastajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 01:17   #39
JonnyMac

Right click on the RR [ |< ] and FF [ >| ] buttons, respectively select Rewind by... and Fast Froward by... then select Custom from the list.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 17:59   #40
degenerate

So can anyone upload the Repeater plugin to mega/mediafire? Latest version preferred so it works with winamp 5.5+

All the links on the web are broken and nobody seems to be hosting it online. For a reminder of what this plugin does, here's the archived webpage:
http://web.archive.org/web/201012230.../repeater.html
degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion