Old 12th October 2007, 07:27   #1
Biggncoo

How can I remove duplicate songs from my library?

Winamp V5.5
Windows XP

I am switching from Itunes to Winamp and I loaded all my media, but I some duplicates. In Itunes there is a feature called find duplicate songs, and I could delete them. How can I do that in winamp???

When I right click in the library there is a remove > remove dead files or physically remove from library.

Thank you.
Biggncoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 12:48   #2
Brian P

In the playlist, click the [-] minus button, then Remove -> Remove duplicate files.

Edit: On second thought, I re-read your post and realize you meant remove from your media library. I don't think Winamp does that yet, but someone else may know of a way.
Brian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 16:53   #3
IndieRockSteve

Is there a way to just have Winamp *list* the duplicate entries? I have "duplicates" because i have "duplicate" files (ie they may not actually be the exact same file, just the same track by the same artist from different sources). I'd like to see what duplicates it finds then be able to choose which ones to delete the physical files of.

thanks!
IndieRockSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2007, 16:29   #4
LeadFoot

I really hesitate to make this recommendation, but the Godfather is still the best way I've found. (organized tab, find duplicates). It will show you all the details (bitrate, tag info, etc.) giving you all you should need to see if you think it is accurate. (http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/)

However, TGF hasn't seen a new final release in something like two years, and it is starting to puke on FLAC files that MP3TAG has no problems with (nor winamp or foobar or...anything else.) It is still the most powerful tagger out there, but it is definitely in need of an update.
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 13:37   #5
IndieRockSteve

yea, I've been using TGF for tagging for a loooong time, haven't thought about trying it's find duplicates though. Thanks for the idea!
IndieRockSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 04:39   #6
gfody

Bump!
Duplicates in media library is causing me some pain. I want to consolidate multiple disparate music collections from my LAN. I can't do this now because of all the overlap.
gfody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 04:06   #7
ScrollSoul

Deleting from the Library

I got tired of the problems with realplayer & so I installed Winamp on Monday. I had no problems with deleting songs & artist from the library. I'm not sure how to exactly explain what I do but I'll give it a go.

When I double-click "Audio" under "Local Media" a window
opens to the right listing all the artist & tracks.

That Window is divided with another box on the right for Albums. Then below that is an empty box that is separated by a gray divider line.

I move my mouse cursor on the divider line and a double arrow appears. I move the arrow up and underneath a full length box appears that has the labels:

Artist, Album, track#, Title, genre, & so on.

I scroll down to the artist or song I want to delete. I click on it and it becomes highlighted. I right-click on the highlighted song and at the bottom of the dialogue box it has a button "Remove from Library".

I clicked on that button and the song or artist is then gone.

I moved the window backdown so I could see the original window.

You will see that the song or artist is still listed on that window. But if you close Winamp completely and reopen it, you will find that the song or artist has been removed.

I hope the description was clear enough to understand. By the way, I'm using Winamp Modern that has the blue screen.
ScrollSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 17:22   #8
philipr

the only way i can work out is to remove all entries from the media lib and rescan everything. Whilst it takes a bit of time to do this it is easy enough if all you music is under one place such as my music. Obviously more of a pain if iin multiple locations.
To clear media lib you go to options, preferences, media library, local media and click the clear media library button. Then just go back to add media and re add all you music / media.
philipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 18:53   #9
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Clearing the music library unfortunately also removes al the rating and last play date information.

80GB 5.5 generation Video iPod

4GB and 8GB gen 2 Nano's with ****+

Winamp 5.52 Pro ; ml_iPod 3.05
kaatinthehaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 14:53   #10
TimurArmin

I'm also experiencing similar problem in my windows XP based PC. Thankfully whatever suggestions I get from here will be helpful to recover such problem nicely.
TimurArmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 16:40   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
those posts are from 2008 and earlier.

look at this:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=346808

there's physical files that are dupes, and then separately dupes in the ML DB which are just erroneous entries that need removed. i do "remove missing files" in the watch folders option, and i also remove missing files from the bottom left library button as well.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 17:30   #12
Xennex

For what it's worth,

MediaMonkey had a media library entry in Music -> Files to Edit -> Duplicate Titles.

It will list all files that have the same title. If you then choose "Show art with details" from the dropdown icon, you will usually have a convenient way of seeing the dupes (if the Album tag is the same for all files).
Xennex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 18:21   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
thx, but what i am looking for mainly is audio fingerprint analysis. there's things out there, but i have yet to get serious on this.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 18:30   #14
Xennex

I know, but TimirArmin asked for regular dupes scans, and MediaMonkey hadn't been mentioned yet.
Xennex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:47   #15
kertison

Re: How can I remove duplicate songs from my library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggncoo View Post
Winamp V5.5
Windows XP

I am switching from Itunes to Winamp and I loaded all my media, but I some duplicates. In Itunes there is a feature called find duplicate songs, and I could delete them. How can I do that in winamp???

When I right click in the library there is a remove > remove dead files or physically remove from library.

Thank you.
You can physically remove those duplicate files from your library as per the given direction but it's quite embarrassing.I'll recommend "Duplicate Files Deleter" to use for hassle free solutions.

Thanks.
kertison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:43   #16
mike1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipr View Post
the only way i can work out is to remove all entries from the media lib and rescan everything. Whilst it takes a bit of time to do this it is easy enough if all you music is under one place such as my music. Obviously more of a pain if iin multiple locations.
To clear media lib you go to options, preferences, media library, local media and click the clear media library button. Then just go back to add media and re add all you music / media.
Many thanks kertison : have been struggling for several hours after accidentally loading everything twice! But can't find the 'Dup....deleter' button, so used the Options route.
mike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 14:29   #17
gabrielowen

Try this software "Duplicate Files Deleter" from which you can remove duplicate files from your hard disk.
gabrielowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 02:52   #18
deback

Solution for Deleting Duplicate Files

Delete the *.m3u file in the current folder, and the duplicates will disappear. Winamp loads the playlist in the current folder, in addition to the files you're adding.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 06:36   #19
kamila rodrigo

remove duplicate files

my dear

use "Duplicate Files Deleter" for remove duplicate files

thanks
kamila rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 14:11   #20
alwleedk

Duplicate Files Deleter software is the best.
alwleedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:58   #21
adi

I never knew i could delete duplicate files too :/
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:12   #22
tina rodrigo

Thank you very much to put your query in winamp forum. If it's only on your playlist then gor to playlist select the file and press delete, it will certainly solve your problem. Or it occures becouse of duplicate files on your pc drive then please use Duplicate Files Deleter, it is very simple to use. But make it sure to keep the important files in back up.
Thanks, Everybody for your valuable times.

Last edited by tina rodrigo; 23rd August 2016 at 06:13. Reason: I did something wrong
tina rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 13:05   #23
Anouk

Bump:

I'm also having the same problem. Whenever I update my music library, I get multiple duplicate tracks within Winamp. I've look at the duplicatefile deleter software but that doesn't seem to be any good for removing duplicates specifically from within Winamp.
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 17:56   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk View Post
Bump:

I'm also having the same problem. Whenever I update my music library, I get multiple duplicate tracks within Winamp. I've look at the duplicatefile deleter software but that doesn't seem to be any good for removing duplicates specifically from within Winamp.
There are 2 types of duplicate entries (real and 'ghost') possible within Winamp's playlist editor. Duplicates in the library are 'ghost' entries that point to files that are no longer in the same locations (folders) they were in when they were first added to the library or playlist editor. Winamp refers to these files as missing or dead. There are several ways to remove these missing or dead file entries in the library. Real or 'ghost' duplicates in the playlist editor can be removed by using context menu commands in the playlist editor window/panel.

The fastest way to remove 'ghost' entries in the library is to use a context menu command in the library window/panel (Audio) that lists all of your music files. Right click on any file in the listing and select the "Remove... - Remove all dead files" command. You may need to use the "Select all" context menu command first.

Alternatively, to make Winamp automatically remove missing (or dead) library file entries in the future, select the applicable Winamp Preferences. Open the Winamp Preferences window (by pressing the Ctrl and P keyboards keys at the same time when Winamp is the active window). Look in the column on the left-hand side for the "Media Library" heading (you may need to scroll down to it). Under this heading select the "Local Library" sub-heading, then select the "Watch Folders" tab that appears on the right-hand side of the Winamp Preferences window. Use this tab to add the root folder for the folders containing your music files (or all the root folders, if you have more than 1). Then select the "Automatically remove missing files" option in the group of watch folders options. Click the "Rescan now" button and close the Winamp Preferences window when the scan is finished.

At the bottom of the Playlist Editor window/panel there are 4 control buttons on the left-hand side. Right click on the button that is second from the left and select the "Remove... - Remove Duplicate Entries" command to remove any real duplicate entries from the listing. Or select the "Remove... - Remove missing files from playlist" command to remove any missing (or dead) file entries from the listing.

Winamp uses several context menus for controlling functions and features. Explore, right click everywhere and on everything in the Winamp windows/panels to see what is available. There are keyboard shortcuts for many of these commands. Just be sure the applicable window/panel is active before using them.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 18th January 2017 at 18:58.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 22:06   #25
Anouk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
There are 2 types of duplicate entries (real and 'ghost') possible within Winamp's playlist editor. Duplicates in the library are 'ghost' entries that point to files that are no longer in the same locations (folders) they were in when they were first added to the library or playlist editor. Winamp refers to these files as missing or dead. There are several ways to remove these missing or dead file entries in the library. Real or 'ghost' duplicates in the playlist editor can be removed by using context menu commands in the playlist editor window/panel.

The fastest way to remove 'ghost' entries in the library is to use a context menu command in the library window/panel (Audio) that lists all of your music files. Right click on any file in the listing and select the "Remove... - Remove all dead files" command. You may need to use the "Select all" context menu command first.

Alternatively, to make Winamp automatically remove missing (or dead) library file entries in the future, select the applicable Winamp Preferences. Open the Winamp Preferences window (by pressing the Ctrl and P keyboards keys at the same time when Winamp is the active window). Look in the column on the left-hand side for the "Media Library" heading (you may need to scroll down to it). Under this heading select the "Local Library" sub-heading, then select the "Watch Folders" tab that appears on the right-hand side of the Winamp Preferences window. Use this tab to add the root folder for the folders containing your music files (or all the root folders, if you have more than 1). Then select the "Automatically remove missing files" option in the group of watch folders options. Click the "Rescan now" button and close the Winamp Preferences window when the scan is finished.

At the bottom of the Playlist Editor window/panel there are 4 control buttons on the left-hand side. Right click on the button that is second from the left and select the "Remove... - Remove Duplicate Entries" command to remove any real duplicate entries from the listing. Or select the "Remove... - Remove missing files from playlist" command to remove any missing (or dead) file entries from the listing.

Winamp uses several context menus for controlling functions and features. Explore, right click everywhere and on everything in the Winamp windows/panels to see what is available. There are keyboard shortcuts for many of these commands. Just be sure the applicable window/panel is active before using them.
Hmmm. These are not ghost files. These are actual duplicates. I tried importing the entire media library (duplicates n all) into a playlist and hitting remove duplicate entries when the entire list was highlighted - but that didn't do anything. Short of physically removing them one by one, I can't see what else to do.
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 23:10   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk View Post
Hmmm. These are not ghost files. These are actual duplicates. I tried importing the entire media library (duplicates n all) into a playlist and hitting remove duplicate entries when the entire list was highlighted - but that didn't do anything. Short of physically removing them one by one, I can't see what else to do.
The only way to have real duplicates listed in the media library is to have the same files in more than 1 folder. So, if that is the case, then the only way to keep them from being listed is to physically delete the copies. Then use the Watch Folders options as I described.

Old 20th January 2017, 04:28   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

If you want to keep backup copies of files and not have them listed in the library, move them to folders that are not in the Watched Folders list.

Old 20th January 2017, 16:11   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

To keep files in non-watched folders, that are played by Winamp, from being added to the media library, be sure the "Automatically add played files" option on the Watched Folders tab is disabled.

After adding new files (non-duplicates) to any of the watched folders, return to the Watched Folders tab and click the "Rescan now" button to update the media library. If you rather have new files added to any of the watched folders be automatically added to the media library, select 1 or both of the rescan options on the Watch Folders tab.

A file's location is one of the things Winamp uses to identify it. The same files in more than 1 watched location are treated as different files instead of copies (duplicates). Winamp has no way of knowing which 1 of the copies to list, so it lists them all.

If you are seeing files in the same locations being listed more than once in the media library then your library database must be corrupted in some way. You can use the "Clear Library..." button at the bottom of the Local Library - Options tab to delete the library database. It will be recreated the next time your watch folders are scanned (manually or automatically).

Last edited by Aminifu; 20th January 2017 at 17:24.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:11   #29
Locutery

To clear up Android data , you can use eraser tool to completely delete unwanted data on Android phone,this erase tool is enable ueser to delete videos, messages, contacts and photos notices, etcetera. from Android ,also , which is the best method to free up space on Android phone ,
Locutery is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion