Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th May 2014, 21:06   #281
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Well, I probably shouldn't say that I release a minor update in two days, when I'm not able to do it, hehe.

I have a problem with compiling the Backup Tool with the button plug-in we use, so the Help button on bottom doesn't work.

I need to figure out, if it's related to the latest NSIS Unicode fork, or if there is something wrong with my NSIS install in general.

So I'm sorry if someone was expecting an updated version.

But there is also a plus side, I've successfully implemented zip support in BT, it just needs tons of GUI changes to complete it (add an option to enable/disable it, make that the restore page accepts zip files etc) this will need some more time.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 20:36   #282
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
I've almost implemented zip support into the Backup page (that required a lot of code changes)

It's currently working pretty good, instead of backing up all files to the user defined backup dir, the tool will save all backup files to a fixed backup dir in the user temp folder. It will zip the folder and then copy the zip file to the user specified backup dir.

This will hopefully allow you to have multiple backup files with dates etc.

I still have some issues with the GUI.

Once I've finished the backup page I must work on the restoration page, which will be even more tricky.

So it will take a lot of time, until you see a public test version.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 06:09   #283
Samfishing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Back up tool

Morning all, could anybody share any light on why my back up tool doesnt seem to be working properly any more... i have two identical note books which i keep my winamp music etc on... i normally put new music on both of them... then create new playlists etc on one of the note books and then use the back up tool which i save to my memory stick and then use this on the other note book using the restore. it used to work fine creating a an exact copy on the second note book but even though it seems to be working ok it doesnt copy the new playlists across... any ideas would be greatfully received!
thanks for your time Sam.
Samfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 17:55   #284
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Can you upload the Winamp_Backup_Tool.log file please? The file is stored in the same dir like your Winamp settings.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 13:24   #285
Samfishing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Hi Koopa,
sorry not been on for a few days... im not very good at finding logs etc... but i will have a look later. i have used the back up tool many times on both netbooks without fail.... having said that i put all my music collection on to a larger laptop the other week put winamp on then used the back up tool to restore from my memory stick... it found the playlists and put them down the left hand side as normal... but if you opened one it would just cycle through all the songs as though it couldnt find them.... i think i know the problem... on my netbook all music is stored in the D drive but the laptop only has a C drive... would it be just a case of chnging the first letter so that it searches that drive?

i will have a look for the file a bit later..
Thanks for your time Sam.
Samfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 22:22   #286
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
I have noticed the wish, to port the Winamp Info Tool code for better Winamp detection back to BT.

I just want to point out, why this is a bit more complicated, than people would expect:

1. Winamp Backup Tool ist using a standard NSIS function to get the Winamp install path from the registry. Winamp Info Tool was already using a more flexible, more robust function, I wrote several months ago.

2. The install path variable is used in many parts of the backup tool. So it must be careful updated

3. The code to detect the multi user path ( where most of the Winamp settings are saved) is based on the install path as well and needs a rewrite.

4. All of the checks (if Winamp is installed, if Winamp is too old) etc needs a rewrite as well.

I hope I made the point, that this isn't a thing, which can be quickly done. But it's on top of my todo list.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 10:21   #287
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Winamp Backup Tool v2.0 Alpha 5 available

LINK REMOVED

WARNING: Do not use this for regualr backups, use latest final version instead!!

Quote:
2.0 Alpha 5:

- fixed invalid ini handling, if the Winamp_Backup_Tool.inicouldn't be created
- fixed a bug, that the Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file entries were not correctly written, if the 'Winamp Backup Tool' settings folder wasn't present
- fixed a bug that the tool wrongly created a Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file in Winamp's config path
- [Installer] fixed that the installer fails to write the config data, if the 'Winamp Backup Tool' dir wasn't present on the system

2.0 Alpha 4:

- made that the zip file will be directly created in the user specified backup dir (should speed up things)
- made tool extracts 7za.exe to the user temp folder, if it wasn't found in the install dir
- moved Paths and Finish page code to separate scripts

2.0 Alpha 3:

- added zip compression functionality for backups:
* made that files will be backed up to a "WinampBackupTemp" folder in the user temp dir
* made that the tool will zip compress the files from within the "WinampBackupTemp" folder
* made that the tool will will move the backup zip file to the user backup dir path
* made that the tool will clean up the temp folder
- [Installer] added install/uninstall support of 7za.exe
- [Installer] made that installer will write the Backup Tool install path to the Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file (used to get the path of 7za.exe)

2.0 Alpha 2:

- changed location of the Winamp_Backup_Tool.log file to "APPDATA\Winamp Backup Tool"
- fixed a bug in select Winamp folder dialog which would allow to pass an invalid folder
- fixed a bug, that the Winamp_Info_Tool_Update.ini wasn't downloaded to the correct directory
- fixed wrong paths in the Update check code
- updated the Winamp Info Tool function to get the default reports dir

2.0 Alpha 1:

- replaced the NSIS standard function to get the Winamp install path, with a flexible, more robust function
- vastly improved the Winamp detection code, if the Uninstall registry entry couldn't be found:
* made that the tools looks for winamp.exe in the same dir where it's running from
* made that tool searches for Winamp.exe in the default program folder
* added the ability to enter the Winamp installation path manually, if Winamp couldn't be found on the system via other methods
* made that Winamp install directory is stored in Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini
* added a file check if the Winamp Install path provided by Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini is valid
- changed location of the Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini settings to "APPDATA\Winamp Backup Tool"
- changed location of the temporary Winamp_Info_Tool_Update.ini to "APPDATA\Winamp Backup Tool"
- changed default location of the backup files to "APPDATA\Winamp Backup Tool\Backups"
- made tool writes own exe path to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini
- removed the Help button, because of an incopmatibility with the related Plug-in and latest NSIS
Spent a few hours to port the Info tool stuff back. Now lets start the long 2.0 period.

The first important thing, is that the changes in this alpha build will be tested, before I enable other features.

Known issues:

- Restoration mode doesn't work (zip functionality wasn't added yet)
- only the English language file is fully working
- Backup Tool currently does not import your old settings file (will be added later)
- Backup Tool does not import your old backup files (will be implemented later)


Things which need testing:

- Winamp detection stuff ( the same things like for the new Info Tool version: Link)
- Backup functionality in general


Enjoy.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 18:38   #288
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Hi Koopa,

The backup tool is getting some 'pub' today on gHacks website (link below).

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/30/backup-restore-winamp/

I'll be testing v2.0 Alpha1 in a few days.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 10:43   #289
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Just released a second alpha to address the first issues.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 23:12   #290
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Alpha 3 is available and finally introduces zip support.

Note, that the restoration mode doesn't work. I need much more time to implement zip support for that mode. (the GUI needs a lot of changes)

The most important thing is, that you test (along with the things from the previous alphas, which need testing too) if the zip stuff does work, so here is a small checklist of things which need testing:

1. Test if the backup mode will create a zip file in your backup dir
2. Check if all backed up files are present in the zip file
3. Test if the tool does clean up the temp folder correctly
4. Check for issues in the user interface (are the checkboxes in finish page still working etc)

I will add some more information to that posting when I got some sleep.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:14   #291
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Aminifu, since nobody seems to have any interest to test it, I really hope, that you find some time.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 02:28   #292
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Hi Koopa,

I tried version 2.0.0.1542 Alpha 3! and it failed to backup anything. During it's installation I didn't see anything about "7za.exe", but it was installed. The "Winamp Backup Tool" folder was created and .ini. and .log files were created. Both files (edited to remove my name) are in the attached zip file.

I have a backup integrity file in my users/appdata/roaming folder. Does it need to be removed to test this version?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Backup_Files.zip (19.5 KB, 207 views)

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 10:17   #293
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Thanks.

The log file says that all files where backed up to the temp folder like expected. I noticed, that your Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file does not contain the BT install path (BTInstallDir=). That path is needed to get the path of 7za.exe (yeah i need to add some handling if the file isn't present etc).

So your issue is related to the zip stuff.

Could you:

1. Run the installer and install the tool again (the installer should install 7za.exe: Link), could verify if the file is present in your BT installation dir?

2. Check if your Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file does contain a BTInstallDir= entry?

3. Check if you can find the backup files in a 'WinampBackupTemp' folder in your TEMP dir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I have a backup integrity file in my users/appdata/roaming folder. Does it need to be removed to test this version?
Nope, that file is used for restoration mode only.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 14:49   #294
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Hi Koopa,

As I said before, the "7za.exe" file was installed. The problem is that the backup tool install path entry is not written to the "Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini" file. After I added the "BTInstallDir=" entry and value, the backup worked. The archive file, simply called "Backups" (without an extension), was created and placed in the "Winamp Backup Tool" folder in my users/appdata/roaming folder.

There is another entry in the tool's config file called "ExeDir=". Why not use that to get the tool's path instead of a separate entry? It does have the path and the tool's executable name as the value, so the entry's name is kinda misleading.

The temp files created by the tool were cleaned up and it appears (from checking the log file) that all of these temp files and folders were put in the archive. So, other than the issue with writing the "BTInstallDir" entry, everything else intended for Alpha 3 works.

I know the tool is intended to backup official Winamp files and some popular 3rd party files, but other 3rd party data files are left out. The user then has to add these files to the archive or back them up separately. I think it would be better to backup all files in the users/appdata/roaming/winamp folder and it's subfolders. It is understandable that 3rd party files not written to these locations would not be handled, since the tool has no way to know where they are.

Selecting everything in the official Winamp data folders would also make the tool's task easier, in that it won't have to look for and verify individual files. On the other hand, this would prevent the log file from being used as a troubleshooting tool to indicate what is missing. Backing up everything and indicating which files are official, or recognized 3rd party, may be overly complicated.

I also had a couple official Winamp files that were not backed up. I assume this is because these files are, or soon will be, obsolete (e.g. Winamp_Essentials_Pack.ini and jscfg.ini).

My configuration also has some duplicate files from when official locations were changed over time and the files in the old locations were not cleaned up automatically. One of these days, I need to clean up that stuff myself, once I determine which are the old and new locations. For example, I have a couple of the same milkdrop config files (with the same timestamps from 2009) in the Winamp/plugins and Winamp/plugins/milkdrop2 folders.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:00   #295
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi Koopa,

As I said before, the "7za.exe" file was installed. The problem is that the backup tool install path entry is not written to the "Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini" file.
Weird, the installer will force write it. I will double check it.

Quote:
The archive file, simply called "Backups" (without an extension), was created and placed in the "Winamp Backup Tool" folder in my users/appdata/roaming folder.
There is something wrong, it will write a Winamp_Backup_xx-xx-xxxx.zip file with the current date.

Quote:
There is another entry in the tool's config file called "ExeDir=". Why not use that to get the tool's path instead of a separate entry? It does have the path and the tool's executable name as the value, so the entry's name is kinda misleading.
Because the InstallPath used in the installer isn't used in the tool. The ExeDir is directly written via the tool, while the BTInstallDir comes from the installer (the tool cannot know, where it was installed too).

Quote:
, everything else intended for Alpha 3 works.
It doesn't work, if it hasn't created a a Winamp_Backup_02-08-2014.zip file.

Quote:
I know the tool is intended to backup official Winamp files and some popular 3rd party files, but other 3rd party data files are left out. The user then has to add these files to the archive or back them up separately. I think it would be better to backup all files in the users/appdata/roaming/winamp folder and it's subfolders. It is understandable that 3rd party files not written to these locations would not be handled, since the tool has no way to know where they are.
Which starts the discussion about the usefulness of the tool again. I can only backup things which were added. The tool handles any stuff very sensitive and restores it to the correct locations. A simple copy of the appdata folder only works, if you have only stuff which is saved there, most 3rd party plug-ins still save in the program folder, the registry etc.

Quote:
Selecting everything in the official Winamp data folders would also make the tool's task easier, in that it won't have to look for and verify individual files.
If we just copy the whole appdata\winamp folder, you can use a simple batch file and don't need any tool. That was one of the main ideas, let the user decide what should be backed up and what not.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:14   #296
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Released Alpha 4, which will improve some internal handling.

Note that Restoration mode is still totally borked.

Quote:
My configuration also has some duplicate files from when official locations were changed over time and the files in the old locations were not cleaned up automatically.
Make a complete backup, delete your winamp folders and restore your backup, then you could get rid of these old files.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:28   #297
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
It doesn't work, if it hasn't created a a Winamp_Backup_02-08-2014.zip file.
Ok, I didn't know how the archive is supposed to be named. Guess you got a little more work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Which starts the discussion about the usefulness of the tool again. I can only backup things which were added. The tool handles any stuff very sensitive and restores it to the correct locations. A simple copy of the appdata folder only works, if you have only stuff which is saved there, most 3rd party plug-ins still save in the program folder, the registry etc.
That's understandable. I mostly use 3rd party stuff that has been updated for Win 7 compatibility (mostly by personally begging the original dev to do so). I do have a couple that save their config files in the Winamp program plugins folder.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
If we just copy the whole appdata\winamp folder, you can use a simple batch file and don't need any tool. That was one of the main ideas, let the user decide what should be backed up and what not.
I meant everything in the folders selected, but I get your point. Funny, I was using a batch file to backup everything before I discovered your tool. It is not hard for me to manually add the few things in my configuration that the tool doesn't pick up. This tool is very useful for making full and incremental backups (much better than a bunch of batch files).

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:30   #298
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Please try it with Alpha 4 again. If this still doesn't create a normal named zip file, we must figure out why it doesn't
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:46   #299
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
I tried version 2.0.0.1548. The "BTInstallDir=" entry is still not written to the config file, but the backup worked anyway almost. The first time I ran it (after installation) for a complete backup (after deleting everything from Alpha 3) only some files were backed up. Running it again backed up everything it's designed to detect.

The archive is named correctly and placed in a subfolder called "Backups".

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:50   #300
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I tried version 2.0.0.1548. The "BTInstallDir=" entry is still not written to the config file, but the backup worked anyway almost. The first time I ran it for a complete backup (after deleting everything from Alpha 3) only some files were backed up. Running it again backed up everything it's designed to detect.

The archive is named correctly.
Yeah i still must look at the installer code, maybe I remove it from the installer totally and simply extract it to the temp folder (which is currently does, if the file couldn't be found in the install folder).

What do you mean with 'only some files were backed up'? Has the tool ignored files, which should have backed up? Is it because you used settings from previous mode (so expected behavior if some thing were unchecked) or did it fail even when all things were checked in the selection page? If so can you send me your log file and tell me for which files it failed?

Additionally are you able to test the Winamp detection stuff (same tests like for Winamp Info Tool)?

Would be also interesting, if you change the backup dir, if things are still working ok.

I'm really sorry for all the work, but it seems, that you are and will be the only tester.

Once these things are working like they should I can start work on restoration mode, the horrible part...
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 16:13   #301
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
What do you mean with 'only some files were backed up'? Has the tool ignored files, which should have backed up? Is it because you used settings from previous mode (so expected behavior if some thing were unchecked) or did it fail even when all things were checked in the selection page? If so can you send me your log file and tell me for which files it failed?
Sorry I didn't save the log from the 1st run. I can delete everything and try to recreate what I saw. Basically, the folders were created in the archive, but the ones I checked were empty. The root folder only had the integrity, Pro_reg, and backup tool config files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Additionally are you able to test the Winamp detection stuff (same tests like for Winamp Info Tool)?
Do you mean remove the Winamp uninstall entry from the registry and test the other stuff related to Winamp in a non-default location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Would be also interesting, if you change the backup dir, if things are still working ok.

I'm really sorry for all the work, but it seems, that you are and will be the only tester.

Once these things are working like they should I can start work on restoration mode, the horrible part...
I'm happy to help out, but I'm running out of time today (need to get some sleep before going to work). I will get back on it first thing tomorrow.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 16:19   #302
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Sorry I didn't save the log from the 1st run. I can delete everything and try to recreate what I saw. Basically, the folders were created in the archive, but the ones I checked were empty. The root folder only had the integrity, Pro_reg, and backup tool config files.
Yeah, i really hope this won't happen again.

Quote:
Do you mean remove the Winamp uninstall entry from the registry and test the other stuff related to Winamp in a non-default location?
Yup, the same tests like for IT.

Quote:
I'm happy to help out, but I'm running out of time today (need to get some sleep before going to work). I will get back on it first thing tomorrow.
No porblem thanks for testing, I'm looking forward to your tests tomorow.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 17:01   #303
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Hi Koopa,

This is what I'm seeing.

The 1st time the tool is ran after a clean installation it appears to not check for the Winamp folder location. The "WinampDir=" entry is not written to the config file and the backup fails to find any files to backup. This is with the the Winamp uninstall registry entry in place and Winamp in it's default location.

The 2nd time the tool is ran, it does write the "WinampDir=" and value entry to the config file in the "Winamp Backup Tool" folder. The backup proceeds normally. During the 2nd run, another "Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini" file is also written to the users/appdata/roaming/winamp folder. This config file only has the "Options" section with the "Version=" and value entry in it.

I can PM you the 1st and 2nd run files, if you want to see them (saves me editing to remove my real name from them).

When the Winamp uninstall registry entry is removed and Winamp is in it's default location, BT finds it automatically on the 2nd run (after another clean install and the 1st run) and the backup proceeds normally.

When the Winamp uninstall registry entry is removed, and Winamp is not in it's default location, BT presents the message about it not finding Winamp and offers the option to quit or enter Winamp's location. Choosing "Yes" to continue presents a dialog that lets you search and enter the folder where Winamp is located. At this point BT fails to continue, it simply enters a loop returning to the message and lets you repeat the process or quit.

Instead of reinstalling Winamp, I just changed the program folder's name. Do I need to actually reinstall Winamp to a different location to get this part to work? I didn't test this part with IT because I saw that Pawel had already did it.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 17:22   #304
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Hi, thanks for testing-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi Koopa,
The 1st time the tool is ran after a clean installation it appears to not check for the Winamp folder location. The "WinampDir=" entry is not written to the config file and the backup fails to find any files to backup.
That's weird, since the tool runs into a loop if it doesn't have a valid Winamp dir. Will check this again. Weird is that it only failed for you on first run.

Quote:
During the 2nd run, another "Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini" file is also written to the users/appdata/roaming/winamp folder. This config file only has the "Options" section with the "Version=" and value entry in it.
I found the reason for this bug and fixed it, thanks.

Quote:
I can PM you the 1st and 2nd run files, if you want to see them (saves me editing to remove my real name from them).
Yes, please.

Quote:
When the Winamp uninstall registry entry is removed and Winamp is in it's default location, BT finds it automatically on the 2nd run (after another clean install and the 1st run) and the backup proceeds normally.
So this fails on first run as well?

Quote:
When the Winamp uninstall registry entry is removed, and Winamp is not in it's default location, BT presents the message about it not finding Winamp and offers the option to quit or enter Winamp's location. Choosing "Yes" to continue presents a dialog that lets you search and enter the folder where Winamp is located. At this point BT fails to continue, it simply enters a loop returning to the message and lets you repeat the process or quit.
What exactly fails? If you enter a valid path it still loops the the whole checks again?
It is wanted, that it presents the folder selection dialog as long, as you don't have any valid entry, that loop is wanted. The user can abort it via 'No' in the message box.

So basically, it works like this:

A. On start, the tool reads the WinampDir from the Winamp Backup_Tool.ini file and performs a file check, if winamp.exe is present (done via a verify function). If the path is valid and winamp.exe was found, it will run the tool. If the path wasn't valid it will go through:

1. it searches for the registry uninstall string, if that is valid it goes back to A. and calls the verify function again
2. If the reg key wasn't valid, it searches for winamp.exe in the dir where it's running from or in the default program folder, if one of them is valid, it goes back to A. and calls the verify function again
3. If the other methods failed, it will present you the folder selection dialog. If you enter an invalid path it will run from step 1-3 again until you have entered a valid path (can be aborted by the user anytime). So it will open the dialog again and again until you enter a path with a present winamp.exe. If you have entered a valid path, it will go to A. and calls the path verify function again.

In any case, the tool will never let you pass an invalid path.

Quote:
Instead of reinstalling Winamp, I just changed the program folder's name. Do I need to actually reinstall Winamp to a different location to get this part to work? I didn't test this part with IT because I saw that Pawel had already did it.
If you have removed the reg key, you can simply rename winamp.exe to winamp2.exe. The tool does a file check with the path it got, so no winamp.exe in the path will force it to do the checks again.

Now to figure out why you have so many problems with the ini entries.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 17:39   #305
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
What exactly fails? If you enter a valid path it still loops the the whole checks again?
It is wanted, that it presents the folder selection dialog as long, as you don't have any valid entry, that loop is wanted. The user can abort it via 'No' in the message box.


If you have removed the reg key, you can simply rename winamp.exe to winamp2.exe. The tool does a file check with the path it got, so no winamp.exe in the path will force it to do the checks again.
Yes the reg key is still removed. All I did was change the installed program folder's name from "Winamp" to "1Winamp". This 'new' location has the winamp.exe file in it. Maybe you need to let the dialog select winamp.exe and not just the folder (or there's an extra separator or lack of one between the path and filename).

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 17:49   #306
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Yes the reg key is still removed. All I did was change the installed program folder's name from "Winamp" to "1Winamp". This 'new' location has the winamp.exe file in it. Maybe you need to let the dialog select winamp.exe and not just the folder.
Nope, take a look at my edited posting above.

Independent of the path, it will always perform a winamp.exe presence check again. You should never be able to use an invalid path.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:11   #307
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
I'm not able to attach a zip file to a PM. I think I was able to do that before the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
So basically, it works like this:

A. On start, the tool reads the WinampDir from the Winamp Backup_Tool.ini file and performs a file check, if winamp.exe is present (done via a verify function). If the path is valid and winamp.exe was found, it will run the tool. If the path wasn't valid it will go through:
I don't know what else to say. For me, on the initial run there isn't a BT config file. BT creates one without a WinampDir entry, runs thru all the normal dialogs (I selected custom mode and complete settings), and creates a virtually empty archive. The next time around (with a valid reg key) it writes the WinampDir entry and creates a proper archive.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:16   #308
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
I hope this makes it more easy to understand:



Aminifu: Will check the first run scenario.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:18   #309
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I'm not able to attach a zip file to a PM. I think I was able to do that before the sale.
its not been possible to do that pre or post sale.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:24   #310
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Thanks for the flowchart. What happens if there is no config file (and no WinampDir entry)? Looks to me like it just skips to running the tool or finds a valid path but fails to update the config file before running the tool.

If I attach my zip file to a post, can you grab it and then delete it?

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:28   #311
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Thanks for the flowchart. What happens if there is no config file (and no WinampDir entry)? Looks to me like it just skips to running the tool.

If I attach my zip file to a post, can you grab it and then delete it?
No config dir:

The check on top of the image will be performed, it cannot read the path, so the path is empty, it will perform a winamp file check with an empty path, if it fails (it will for sure) it will do what you can see on the image. (I must look why it does fail for you)

Yeah attach it, I will delete it then.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:33   #312
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Attached are the BT files from the 1st and 2nd runs.

[Edit > Koopa] Got it thanks

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:37   #313
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
its not been possible to do that pre or post sale.
Ok, must have been another forum site.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:39   #314
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Ok Koopa. It's bed time again. I'll check back tomorrow.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 20:02   #315
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Thanks for your long test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
- Installer creates "Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini" file on system drive (C:\)
Reproduced.
Quote:
2. Backup Tool first run
- Backup Tool interface using english (should be Polish, like in installer)
Language stuff is unimportant in alpha stage, will be finalized for in Beta stage.

Quote:
3. Close the tool. Open it again. It creates "Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini" file in
Winamp configuration directory: C:\Users\Pawel\AppData\Roaming\Winamp
Already fixed internal after Aminifu's report.

Quote:
Result: Finding Winamp Installation Directory Failed.
There is some problem with Winamp Directory Path from manual DialogBox. It runs in loop - should Break and just open BT.
Seeing some weirdness here now too, will try to locate it.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 20:16   #316
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Winamp Backup Tool v2.0 Alpha 5 available

LINK REMOVED

WARNING: Do not use this for regualr backups, use latest final version instead!!

2.0 Alpha 5:

- fixed invalid ini handling, if the Winamp_Backup_Tool.inicouldn't be created
- fixed a bug, that the Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file entries were not correctly written, if the 'Winamp Backup Tool' settings folder wasn't present
- fixed a bug that the tool wrongly created a Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file in Winamp's config path
- [Installer] fixed that the installer fails to write the config data, if the 'Winamp Backup Tool' dir wasn't present on the system

Spent a few hours to port the Info tool stuff back. Now lets start the long 2.0 period.

The first important thing, is that the changes in this alpha build will be tested, before I enable other features.

Known issues:

- Restoration mode doesn't work (zip functionality wasn't added yet)
- only the English language file is fully working
- Backup Tool currently does not import your old settings file (will be added later)
- Backup Tool does not import your old backup files (will be implemented later)


Things which need testing:

- Winamp detection stuff ( the same things like for the new Info Tool version: Link)
- Backup functionality in general


Enjoy.

-Chris
Just released Alpha 5, which hopefully will fix most of the many issues, which were reported.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 20:26   #317
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Alpha 5 works fine for me. All issues I reported for Alpha 4 has gone. It is fixed.
[Config files are created in proper folder, backup works (zip), BT can find correct path to installaed winamp, even if registry entry is broken]
-Pawel
Many thanks for the time you spent for testing.

I am glad that stuff is working now, will wait for Aminifu's feedback before I enable more features.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 14:52   #318
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
@Pawel,

Thank you for testing. I think Koopa was not quite believing what I reported for Alpha 4 with Win 7.

How did you sniff out the 3rd config file in the root of drive C? I had one there too, same as the single entry file written to the users\appdata\roaming\winamp folder.

@Koopa,

Alpha 5 works perfectly for me also, including changing the backup dir.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 16:04   #319
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
@Pawel,

Thank you for testing. I think Koopa was not quite believing what I reported for Alpha 4 with Win 7.

How did you sniff out the 3rd config file in the root of drive C? I had one there too, same as the single entry file written to the users\appdata\roaming\winamp folder.

@Koopa,

Alpha 5 works perfectly for me also, including changing the backup dir.
Thanks for confirmation.

I've successfully implemented zip support for restoration mode already. All required GUI changes were done.

I'm currently fighting with 3 issues, once I've fixed them, I will release a newer build (probably Beta) within the next few days.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 16:17   #320
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,578
Sorry, BT Alpha 5 has 1 flaw. The zipped IT reports are not included in the reports BT backs up.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump