Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 20th June 2013, 14:37   #321
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Two very different worlds, which have some overlap but meant for different tasks.
yup
So that leaves one question.... Does the Info Tool have a Safe Mode?

(I am running away now before someone starts throwing rotten tomatoes at me.... )
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 14:39   #322
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
the point of the report and it's asterisk is to distinguish official vs 3rd party.

Winamp's safe mode is something that is unrelated to the needs of the tool and should not be factored in when making an official list (it just happens that most of what is deemed official happens to run in safe mode).
OK. And once the definition of "official" is made, nobody has to make the list. The list makes itself.
The point of my post was that the "official list" is not the same as the "safe list".
The tool and its users will use that fact, or not.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 15:05   #323
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
So that leaves one question.... Does the Info Tool have a Safe Mode?
No, and I'll buy rotten tomatoes now this is safe.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:39   #324
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

4.2 Beta is available:

Quote:
4.2 Beta:

- tool will now update/refresh all Winamp related infos when you click on a tab (General, Playlist & Playback tab currently)
- added detection of Winamp Volume value in % to 'Playback' tab
- added detection of Winamp Balance value (center, left & right value in %) to 'Playback' tab
- added detection of Preamp Value in db to 'Playback' tab
- added a button to run Internet Explorer
- moved Internet Explorer infos in 'General Information' tab directly under DirectX information to follow report style
- removed 'Registered File Extensions' from 'Playback' tab
- updated English, PortugueseBR, Polish & German language files to v2.3
- fixed 'Exit settings without saving' hasn't set the correct settings if the user made changes and decided to drop them
- fixed that pressing 'Restore default settings' prevents the 'Open Report Directory' button to work correctly
- fixed that 'Open Report Directory' button failed if the path was changed and the user directly returned to the prefs
- fixed that the tool prevents Windows from shutting down correctly if it is still running
- [GUI, HTML/TXT Generator] added an info if Internet Explorer is not installed/active on the system
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added version number detection for 'Installed Winamp System Components'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added version number detection for 'Installed DLL Files in Winamps Root dir'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] made that all first party 'Installed DLL Files in Winamps Root dir' are marked with a *
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection for playback buffer settings in ms
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection for Preamp value in db (Many many thanks to Paweł)
- [HTML/TXT Generator] made vis preset statistics are only shown, if listing of presets was enabled
- [HTML/TXT Generator] minor visual tweaks
- [HTML Generator] added plugin name detection for Pacemaker DSP plugin
- [TXT Generator] fixed several visual glitches with empty spaces if individual files are not present on the system
Because of the amount of changes, I decided to make this a public beta first.

Most important change is, that the tabs now refresh the information on click. So if you're running the tool and make some Winamp changes, the tool will be able to catch the changes when you click on the tab. It's working for 'General Information' , 'Playlist Settings' & 'Playback Settings' tab. 'Directories' tab will be finished for final.

I also plan a global 'refresh' icon sooner or later. I'm really happy with that feature, it makes my pseudo tab code even more flexible.

Note that not all language files have been updated yet.

-Chris
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:46   #325
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
great work. so I guess the volume detection also detects mute? (since mute is 0%)

so file extensions are no longer reported at all?

I think Ryerman has a good point. things should be clearly defined:

Official = * = only those plugins that come with the full installer. the SC DSP is an exception, and since its not in the installer, should get its own unique symbol imo. (I assume it doesn't load in safe mode btw, but idk).

Safe = # = Safe plugins are inherently also official, but are the only ones that safe mode loads.

3rd party = = anything else should not be marked.

imo, the EP is 3rd party.

EDIT: ps Koopa, you have 2 dead links in your sig, in_zip and yar matey.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:53   #326
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

1. Winamp has no Mute function, the integrated Mute button does nothing more than setting the Volume to 0.

2. File extensions are still reported, I have just removed them from the 'Playback Settings' tab in the prefs, to get more room for really playback specific stuff. They also don't fit under that tab. If you would do a simple report, you had already seen that they are still listed.

3. I already made my point clear related to the *

4. Yeah I guess my whole signature needs an update.

-Chris
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:51   #327
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
@Koopa:

I created lately a report, but nowhere i find a legend what which symbols (*) mean.

I think the tool is great, but the reports (at least HTML) need a legend for the symbols...

So like

* - default installer included components

etc...
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:48   #328
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

Concerning the 4.2.0 beta 3514:

Adding the space between the component name and the "(*)" helps with clarity a little in the extended TXT version, but adding the line spacing between components in the 'system components' and 'root dll files' sections really helps.

Adding a legend explaining "(*)", per OlexijL's point, wouldn't hurt.

I just noticed that making a HTML version deletes the TXT version of an extended report and vice-versa. I don't know your reasons for this (missed it, if explained earlier in the thread), but it is not necessary, imo.

On my system GP changes are not picked up until the GP dialog is closed. Changing sections does not cause changes in a prior section to be picked up. This is counter intuitive since Winamp does not require the DP dialog to be closed to act on changes (except, of course, those that require a restart), imo.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:57   #329
DrO

the settings thing is because the info tool can only read what is in the saved versions of the config files, whereas settings on the prefs in Winamp can be propagated without the need for saving to the ini file (which will then happen on closing). it's just one of the fun limitations from being an external program (though even native plug-ins would have issues with this at times as well).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:58   #330
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I just noticed that making a HTML version deletes the TXT version of an extended report and vice-versa. I don't know your reasons for this (missed it, if explained earlier in the thread), but it is not necessary, imo.
That's by design, the option says 'Delete old reports, when creating new reports'. Yeah it could be txt and html specific, but not sure if this would make sense.

Quote:
On my system GP changes are not picked up until the GP dialog is closed. Changing sections does not cause changes in a prior section to be picked up. This is counter intuitive since Winamp does not require the DP dialog to be closed to act on changes (except, of course, those that require a restart), imo.
So does it fail in general and no General Information will be updated? Have you switched to any other tab and back to test it?

[Edit] Ah just saw DrO's posting, yeah all Winamp prefs are written on close only to the ini file, so the tool only can catch what is written to the ini file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlexijL View Post
@Koopa:

I created lately a report, but nowhere i find a legend what which symbols (*) mean.

I think the tool is great, but the reports (at least HTML) need a legend for the symbols...

So like

* - default installer included components

etc...
Maybe for HTML in an upcoming release, for TXT I won't add it for sure, because of the limitations.
Old 23rd June 2013, 19:02   #331
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
the settings thing is because the info tool can only read what is in the saved versions of the config files, whereas settings on the prefs in Winamp can be propagated without the need for saving to the ini file (which will then happen on closing). it's just one of the fun limitations from being an external program (though even native plug-ins would have issues with this at times as well).
Thanks, DrO. That makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
That's by design, the option says 'Delete old reports, when creating new reports'. Yeah it could be txt and html specific, but not sure if this would make sense.
Ah, I need to take a trip through the tool's preferences. I've not done that in a while. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 8th July 2013, 06:51   #332
MarkRH

Well, I installed Winamp 5.64 Pro and downloaded the 4.2 Beta of this. Here's my new HTML output: http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.shtml

Since it's integrated with my Website's design, I did have to edit the output to make it work. Looks like that TipTop.dll has no version, which it doesn't when checking it in Windows so I guess it's working as it should in that case. Hmm.. wonder if there's an updated version of that plug-in somewhere?
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 07:10   #333
DrO

the tip top plug-in doesn't have a version resource so its correct as is (and probably won't get one from me officially either - not like its hard to add one to a dll with a esource editor if needed).

what is strange and is the vp8.w5s only showing 3 parts of the version (will have to check if that's an issue with our build system).
Old 8th July 2013, 07:33   #334
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Yeah that's what the file provides:

vp6.w5s:

"5.6.4.3418"

vp8.w5s:

"5, 6, 4, 0"
Old 8th July 2013, 07:51   #335
DrO

found and fixed the issue in the build system for that component.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:44   #336
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

I recently disabled a number of components in my normal configuration while trying to track down an issue with JTFE and I noticed a couple of things in the 4.2.0 Beta version.

In the general info section, it says I'm currently using a visualization when none are installed (as is correctly stated in the installed visualizations section). This is probably due to winamp.ini maintaining info for the last one used instead of the current status, so maybe you should change the wording to "Last used" instead of "Currently used" until that update issue is fixed in winamp.ini.

It also indicates that "gen_jumpex.dll" is official, but this plug-in is blocked when running in Safe Mode. As long as Safe Mode is blocking this plug-in, listing it as official is technically incorrect, imo. I seem to remember some unresolved discussion about this.

Old 12th July 2013, 17:54   #337
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
In the general info section, it says I'm currently using a visualization when none are installed (as is correctly stated in the installed visualizations section). This is probably due to winamp.ini maintaining info for the last one used instead of the current status, so maybe you should change the wording to "Last used" instead of "Currently used" until that update issue is fixed in winamp.ini.
That's more a Winamp glitch than an Info Tool glitch. Your configuration file still holds the entry of the currently used Output, Visualization and DSP Plugins.

Winamp doesn't check, if the files are still present and really should clean up the ini file.

Though, I will add some additional checks to fix these issues from my side.

Thanks for the report.

Quote:
It also indicates that "gen_jumpex.dll" is official, but this plug-in is blocked when running in Safe Mode. As long as Safe Mode is blocking this plug-in, listing it as official is technically incorrect, imo. I seem to remember some unresolved discussion about this.
There is already a long discussion in this thread.

Official is anything, which is directly shipped in Nullsoft products. This fits gen_jumpex.dll and dsp_sc.dll.

What Nullsoft does with their safe mode, is their thing, safe mode also disables any language pack, even if it's 'official'. But labeling the files as 3rd party is wrong.

As you can see in the official Winamp Bug Report threads, gen_jumpex.dll is listed as official plugin there too.

Sorry, but this won't change, gen_jumpex.dll will be detected as official.

People who run Winamp in safe mode, generally don't need to create an info report (except for some infos about the playback, playlist settings).

I already made my point about this clear and DrO agreed.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:58   #338
DrO

Quote:
That's more a Winamp glitch than an Info Tool glitch. Your configuration file still holds the entry of the currently used Output, Visualization and DSP Plugins.

Winamp doesn't check, if the files are still present and really should clean up the ini file.
we don't clean them up as we do checks on loading and is so it allows for the restoring of things back to as they were when you remove them for testing and restore back afterwards.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:59   #339
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
we don't clean them up as we do checks on loading and is so it allows for the restoring of things back to as they were when you remove them for testing and restore back afterwards.
That sounds valid, but since I'll fix this from my end, it doesn't matter.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:01   #340
DrO

just wanted to clarify things
Old 12th July 2013, 18:06   #341
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Me too.

But your explanation makes sense, wasn't aware that Winamp already does checks on start for the presence. So the winamp.ini entries are no dead ini file entries as i thought.

Adding an additional check from my end is really no big deal, so best is Aminifu, if you leave your current configuration as is now until I can provide you a test build.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:11   #342
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa and DrO,

Thank you for the quick replies and clarifying things.

Old 14th July 2013, 00:21   #343
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Aminifu:

This should do it:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/137..._Info_Tool.exe

Will check for the presence of Vis-, Dsp-, Output-, Encoder- Plugin & Skin & Language Pack if the files are registered in winamp.ini/gen_ml.ini, but not present on the system, the GUI/Reports now will say 'None'.

I may add this for the currently used File Icon Library, Language Pack, Skin and Encoder as well. (Tray Icon Pack code already has such check iicr, but need to check the code for this first)

[Edit] Done, Tray Icon and File Type Icon library code already had the check.

Build 3518 is now available from the first posting.
Old 14th July 2013, 14:11   #344
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

Thanks for the fast turn-around. Build 3518 does fix things up, so that the current status of things is reported correctly.

Old 19th July 2013, 08:56   #345
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

A couple users recently has issues related to Windows Internet Explorer. Some users don't know that Winamp uses the IE engine to support some of it's features, even when IE is not set as the OS's default browser.

The Info Tool already reports the version of IE detected. Would it be easy to also report if IE is enabled and what level it's Internet Zone security level is set at? If not, don't worry about it. The user can be asked to provide this info when needed.

Some of Winamp's input decoders also use some of the Microsoft components associated with Windows Media Player. Would it be easy to report if WMP is installed?

Old 19th July 2013, 11:19   #346
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It already shows if IE was disabled/uninstalled.

I will look at the Internet Zone thing.

For WMP, adding detection would be simple but I think it's better to list the Windows media Components instead. Will check this.
Old 19th July 2013, 11:41   #347
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
For WMP, adding detection would be simple but I think it's better to list the Windows media Components instead. Will check this.
I agree, but was hoping to keep things simple for you, assuming the media components would be installed if WMP was installed.

Anyway, thanx for agreeing to look into it and the IE security level thing.

Old 19th July 2013, 13:29   #348
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Careful... you are heading into a can of worms. Next someone will ask to add the list of codecs installed that affect video playback...

The feature I would like added is a rating of the IQ of the User based on the content of their Documents Folder divided by their Musical Tastes multiplied by the volume of Pr0n on the PC. We need to know if we are dealing with an ID-10T user or an "Expert". Many issues are PEBCAK related as this will narrow things down.

Okay, I am joking around Darn fine tool now which will soon be jumping up and fixing Winamp automatically. I remember the last time I tried to help trace a "Why does the music only come out of one channel?" question. This time it was so much faster to do thanks to your report.

One little item I noticed. Did you see VIPer's bug report included a link to one of your reports? (I will PM you the link)

I don't know what is different about that URL but on my Win7 PC only IE can render it. Both Firefox and Opera just show me raw HTML source code. Maybe unicode related as there is Russian text within the report. See PM for more details.
Old 19th July 2013, 16:48   #349
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Just spotted typing errors in the report.

1\ The DATE at the top is in broken US format. dd/mm/yyyy is more standard. I thought you also had it like this in Germany? ISO now suggests yyyy-mm-dd. Maybe worth pulling up the local OS standard according to Windows? I notice this is done for the language as I spotted a German report the other day.

1b\ If I am being truly pedantic... the time stamp used above does not mention the GMT offset. As we have world wide reports the time should probably say the offset. (Again, these settings are available in the OS time calls)

2\ "Vizualization" is not a word. Toooooo many z's. Compare your section title "Installed Winamp Vizualization Plug-ins" with the plugin "Nullsoft Advanced Visualizations Studio (AVS)". (I notice elsewhere you seem to stick to the correct number of z's)
Old 19th July 2013, 17:03   #350
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Careful... you are heading into a can of worms. Next someone will ask to add the list of codecs installed that affect video playback...
I gave the same advise a few weeks back.

I thought my requests were appropriate because they relate to some basic Winamp functionality. It is totally up to Koopa. The tool is great as it is (and the official video decoders are listed if installed).

Old 19th July 2013, 17:19   #351
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Aminifu: You're on that other side of the pond with those weird spellings... "US English".

Are any of these correct? As all these words are in the report but don't exist in proper English.

Vizualization - appears twice (should be Visualization)
Center - centre (See Speaker Balance)
Prefered Source - should be Preferred Source (See ReplayGain Support)

(I'm ignoring Plug-in names like "Analyzer" as I realise that kind of text comes from the plug-in)

(Proof reading while cooking dinner...)

Last edited by Batter Pudding; 19th July 2013 at 17:37. Reason: Edited to remove daft observation...
Old 19th July 2013, 18:00   #352
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Batter Pudding,

Your 1st and 3rd examples would be correct for proper US English. The second could be either way. But you're asking someone who didn't get high grades in English. Each year I had a teacher with a different pov about what was proper. I would conform to one and then be wrong for the next.

Anyway, as long as the meaning is clear, the spelling is not critical (unless it is a command string or argument or component name), imo

Too bad, you removed your daft observation, I was gonna have a little fun with that. As a coder, you should not have made that mistake.

Old 19th July 2013, 20:41   #353
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

1. The problem is, that / is not allowed in the file name, so I decided to go this route.
Otherwise file name and report header wouldn't fit.
German is using dd.mm.yyyy, like Windows is already using.

1b. Yeah could show which time zone it is using etc, but would it really be worth? The main idea is just, that you can see when the report was created. What format is used, is up to the translators. They can do whatever they want with the strings.

You could provide a en-UK language file and form it like you want, I would add it. :P

2. The correct American English word would be 'Visualization', so only 1 'z' at the end. US people loves the letter z more than the British do.
I will look for the typo and fix it.

Edit: fixed the vis typos for en-US.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:22   #354
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

4.2 Beta (Build 3568) is now available.

I've completely rewritten and simplified the Plugin Name detection code. Creating reports should be a little bit faster, the code is now shared between all components in the tool and I can easily add name detection for other plugins.

There is also an updated Turkish language file and name detection for some more 3rd party plugins was added.
Old 24th July 2013, 22:56   #355
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Hate to nit pick over obvious spelling errors, but since the door was opened ...

In the previous build and this one (3568), on the line for "Currently Used Language Pack:", my report says "None2" instead of "None".

Old 24th July 2013, 23:26   #356
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Must be a bug then and not a typo, is it HTML or TXT or both?

[Edit]Found it, was a bug in the language pack detection code. Thanks for reporting it.

Build 3570 is now available.
Old 25th July 2013, 15:11   #357
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Didn't see this reply... wasn't ignoring you...
Quote:
1. The problem is, that / is not allowed in the file name, so I decided to go this route.
Otherwise file name and report header wouldn't fit.
German is using dd.mm.yyyy, like Windows is already using.
I didn't meant the date in the filename. I meant the date in the first few lines of the report. IMHO it would make sense to make it match the filename. It is only them odd guys on the other side of the pond who shuffle the date into a weird order.

If I was going to talk about the date of the filename, then I'd be chasing for the ISO standard of 2013.07.25 so that the files can alpha-sort correctly.

But that would be going too far... you shouldn't have to deal with my OCD of these things. I have some kind of Proof Reading Sickness...

Quote:
You could provide a en-UK language file and form it like you want, I would add it. :P
If you can point at a language file, I'll make you a en-GB one. English is the stuff we speak. None of that weird Americanization and butchering of our language. English, of course, is part German anyway...

I bet Austrians and the Swiss don't dare mess with the German language when they borrow it.

(Yeah - I am joking for any USAinarians who may be reading this )

I'll happily do a quick language file for you. Only a small selection of words they can't spell over there. I know DrO has one for Winamp - so makes sense to follow into the Info tool and keep it consistent. (I'll check, but I think it is a ENG-GB language file and not ENG-UK)

Quote:
2. The correct American English word would be 'Visualization', so only 1 'z' at the end. US people loves the letter z more than the British do.
I will look for the typo and fix it.
I zee that haz been fixed in the latest beta releaze.
Old 25th July 2013, 15:57   #358
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
If I was going to talk about the date of the filename, then I'd be chasing for the ISO standard of 2013.07.25 so that the files can alpha-sort correctly.

But that would be going too far... you shouldn't have to deal with my OCD of these things. I have some kind of Proof Reading Sickness...
Do it in your en-GB file. You can grab the file from the first posting in this thread. Upload your language file here.

Quote:
I bet Austrians and the Swiss don't dare mess with the German language when they borrow it.
Yeah, crazy is, they understand German always, but for Germans it's hard (or nearly impossible) to understand them sometimes, hehe

Quote:
I zee that haz been fixed in the latest beta releaze.
lol
Old 25th July 2013, 16:32   #359
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Very good... Now I have "Gegenwärtig genutztes Sprachpaket: Winamp-DE-DE.wlz" instead of "Gegenwärtig genutztes Sprachpaket: Winamp-DE-DE.wlz2"...

This is my newest .txt-file... http://www.mediafire.com/download/no...25.07.2013.txt and for me it is very mortifying, that the people in the service shop have set up the wrong user-name after replacing the harddrive and reinstalling Windows. I am "Sabine Klare" and not "Sabine Klane", of course...

Keep up Your good work!...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 16:49   #360
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Re: Translation of this US English to British English. There will only be a few dozen lines that are actually different to the US version.

Do I assume that you have written your program in German, so every line has to be swapped out with an English one?

Or is the program in US English?

If the latter, does this translation file need to be 100% complete? OR is it simpler if I just include the half dozen lines that are different in British English?
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
html report, installed winamp version, plugin list, txt report, winamp build number, winamp info report