Old 16th January 2017, 12:06   #1761
Psykoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
There are many clones. After many years of being dissatisfied with running Winamp via WINE, I gave up and started using Audacious. It's a bit 90's but I like it! :

http://audacious-media-player.org/

Don't be fooled by the GTK interface option. There is a Winamp Classic GUI.

Clementine is my second choice:

https://www.clementine-player.org/

thx will give it a try.

this is how it should look. this is winamp running in wine( not perfect but it runs) now i can listen to hardcoreradio.nl like the olddays
Psykoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 05:00   #1762
bgd

While I do wish that there would have been an Android version of Winamp, this developmental hiatus for Winamp has had absolutely no effect on my Winamp usage on any of my past or present Windows machines.

I have faithfully relied on Winamp as my primary music player for a full 20 years now (how time flies!) and have during all this time never ever faced any real issue with it, whether bug-related or performance-related. I have yet to try it out on Windows 10 (I'll leave that for my next laptop in line) but it runs as smooth as ever on my current Windows 8.1 laptop...

Feature-wise, there's really not much I could wish for that's not already there - I even prefer the default theme over all those fancy-looking custom ones. Granted, the equalizer is pretty basic but ever since 2001 I've been using an analog-style DSP plugin called "iZotope Ozone for Winamp" which I still to this day find to be the single best sound-enhancing feature I've seen in any music player. That's really the only Winamp plugin I've ever needed, all the rest comes with Winamp itself by default.

So, bottom line, if you're a Windows user I'm not sure that you necessarily would even need any updates for as long as the latest Winamp release (version 5.666) is able to run on the latest Windows release. My only reason for checking into this website and forum now after all these years was in order to see whether there was perhaps any Android version in the plans. Of course, it's somewhat of a bummer that there isn't any ongoing development and thus no Android version. But nothing will change on my Windows machines, I'll still be using Winamp on them for many many more years to come...
bgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 06:33   #1763
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
bgd, agreed... not sure why everyone is so anxious about a new version when now it works just fine.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 1/5/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 15:42   #1764
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Again I say: Nobody can force me to uninstall Winamp and to install another media player. As an adult I can make my own decisions what I want to have on my own computers.

My Winamps on my PC and notebook both work fine, and of course Winamp will be needed also for the future on Techno Parties and other Live Events. Also now Winamp is used for creating new music-videos for YouTube.

For me the Llama is not dead, the Llama is still alive. I myself believe, that the Llama will not die.

BTW, on 21st April 2017 we will have the 20th B-Day...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 04:02   #1765
cukls

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
bgd, agreed... not sure why everyone is so anxious about a new version when now it works just fine.
I've been rocking whatever the last version for so long, no issues! But now that I've gone to 5.666, Winamp won't recognize my android phone when I plug it in. I'm using another app for that until I figure out if it's something I did wrong, or it's just Winamp. Otherwise, I agree, Winamp is definitely MY music player, and has been as long as I've had a computer!

I also can't figure out how to queue up music anymore.... now that I think about it, 5.666 was just a disaster for me! I better find an older version to install.
cukls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:40   #1766
tapi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd View Post
I have faithfully relied on Winamp as my primary music player for a full 20 years now (how time flies!) and have during all this time never ever faced any real issue with it, whether bug-related or performance-related. I have yet to try it out on Windows 10 (I'll leave that for my next laptop in line) but it runs as smooth as ever on my current Windows 8.1 laptop...
I'm using Winamp 5.666 on Windows 10 and it's running good!
tapi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:47   #1767
tapi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
Again I say: Nobody can force me to uninstall Winamp and to install another media player. As an adult I can make my own decisions what I want to have on my own computers.

My Winamps on my PC and notebook both work fine, and of course Winamp will be needed also for the future on Techno Parties and other Live Events. Also now Winamp is used for creating new music-videos for YouTube.

For me the Llama is not dead, the Llama is still alive. I myself believe, that the Llama will not die.

I like that too when no one can take my Winamp away from me.

It would be sad if Llama dies. Let's hope not.

Hmm...big B-Day coming...are we going to get big hard present then? :P
Old 18th January 2017, 11:56   #1768
tapi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukls View Post
I've been rocking whatever the last version for so long, no issues! But now that I've gone to 5.666, Winamp won't recognize my android phone when I plug it in. I'm using another app for that until I figure out if it's something I did wrong, or it's just Winamp. Otherwise, I agree, Winamp is definitely MY music player, and has been as long as I've had a computer!

I also can't figure out how to queue up music anymore.... now that I think about it, 5.666 was just a disaster for me! I better find an older version to install.
You have the newest version in use?
It's Winamp 5.666 Build 3516.
Old 18th January 2017, 13:29   #1769
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

For Winamp 5.666 Build 3516 You need the in_mp3.dll from the previous build (Build 3512), which You can get from here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

Then Winamp should work.

I myself remember the previous Milkdrop Versions of the previous Winamp Versions. I did all my edits on my PC with Milkdrop 2.25c (it exists only in the newer Winamp Versions). And I am very satisfied with my edits which work also on my notebook.

Old 21st January 2017, 05:54   #1770
GorillaCat

Aparently we're waiting for radionomy's legal department to do stuff before the beta comes out. https://twitter.com/ed_rich/status/817065613411713025

ReactOS - My Winamp Wishlist - Custom EQ - Playlists missing tracks on Android (Fixed?)
I swear, this is the last time I change my avatar, maybe.
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 15:11   #1771
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
For Winamp 5.666 Build 3516 You need the in_mp3.dll from the previous build (Build 3512), which You can get from here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

Then Winamp should work.

You can use the patched installer of the current Winamp version to update your installation. It contains this dll file and a few other updates. Download links for the patched installer are listed in post #2 of this thread.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 23:53   #1772
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
Aparently we're waiting for radionomy's legal department to do stuff before the beta comes out. https://twitter.com/ed_rich/status/817065613411713025
Oh god... Considering how slow radionomy has been... and legal departments take forever... ugh...

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:03   #1773
Psykoen

Quote:
While I do wish that there would have been an Android version of Winamp, this developmental hiatus for Winamp has had absolutely no effect on my Winamp usage on any of my past or present Windows machines.

Feature-wise, there's really not much I could wish for that's not already there - I even prefer the default theme over all those fancy-looking custom ones. Granted, the equalizer is pretty basic but ever since 2001 I've been using an analog-style DSP plugin called "iZotope Ozone for Winamp" which I still to this day find to be the single best sound-enhancing feature I've seen in any music player. That's really the only Winamp plugin I've ever needed, all the rest comes with Winamp itself by default.

So, bottom line, if you're a Windows user I'm not sure that you necessarily would even need any updates for as long as the latest Winamp release (version 5.666) is able to run on the latest Windows release. My only reason for checking into this website and forum now after all these years was in order to see whether there was perhaps any Android version in the plans. Of course, it's somewhat of a bummer that there isn't any ongoing development and thus no Android version. But nothing will change on my Windows machines, I'll still be using Winamp on them for many many more years to come...
if you go to download page there is a apk for android
Psykoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 17:23   #1774
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

I'm also a contented, long time, Winamp user (over 17 years) on a Windows desktop computer. The current patched version runs great on Windows 10. I never tried Windows 8 or 8.1.

I also used the free version of the "iZotope Ozone for Winamp" plug-in for several years, until I discovered it prevented the winamp.exe process from shutting down when Winamp was closed. All the visible Winamp windows closed, but the Windows' task manager showed that hidden inactive winamp.exe processes were still loaded. Restarting Winamp would take longer and the task manager showed that 2 or more winamp.exe processes were loaded. So, whenever I shutdown Winamp, I had to use the task manager to shutdown any winamp.exe processes that were still loaded. I was using Windows 7 at the time.

I could not determine if it was the Ozone plug-in alone causing this or it's useage in combination with other 3rd party plug-ins I'm using, and/or if the Winamp version (that was current at that time) had anything to do with this. It may have been related to the restrictions Windows placed on writing to certain folders and the registry that started with Windows Vista. The old Ozone plug-in wanted to refresh it's registry entries when it was shutdown. Anyway, I now use the free version of the "Stereo Tool" DSP plug-in (http://www.stereotool.com/). It comes the closest to matching Ozone's performance, imo. However, it does cause Winamp to use significantly more of the CPU (from peaks around 3% to over 20%).

I intend to keep using Winamp for as long as possible. I've been monitoring the developmental progress of DrO's (former Winamp master developer) unofficial updates, which are still in the beta stage (https://getwacup.com/). Recently, the current Winamp owners have been trying to hinder DrO's work (forcing him to use a different website), possibly trying to prevent a fork of the Winamp app from occurring.

Unfortunately, it appears that any update of an official or unofficial Android version will not happen any time soon.

Old 25th January 2017, 16:42   #1775
skribb

Quote:

Cool, I've never heard of Izotope before - gonna tryit out. I've always used OctiMax and Volume Logic (stacked). They are the best sound enhancers/DSPs for Winamp i've found.

Volume Logic is the successor to OctiMax but OM is a DSP and VL is a general plugin so they can be used in tandem. They're both by Plantronics (IIRC it was a small swedish developer who made the algorithm and was acquired by Plantroincs) but stopped being supported in 2010 or something.
skribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 01:42   #1776
tapi0

Talking about plugins...Do you know good one for surround?
I have 2 front speakers and 2+1 rear speaker.
Like to make that rear speakers sub to work with Winamp.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:42   #1777
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapi0 View Post
i've played with a few in the past, but tbh I believe using the soundcard settings if you have a sound card that handles all your channels

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 26th January 2017, 14:29   #1778
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapi0 View Post
I use "WinampMatrixMixer" (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win...ixer_0_9_163d/). It is an output plug-in that directs it's output to another Winamp output plug-in. I use the Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.64 (out_ds.dll).

WinampMatrixMixer lets you reconfigure the 2 channels (stereo) or single channel (mono) coming from your source files into up to 6 channels for output to your sound device (front left, center, front right, rear/side left, rear/side right, and subwoofer). The matrix (based on AC3Filter) can configure itself automatically or you can set it up manually to fine tune how much of the source file channels (1 or both) gets sent to each of the desired output channels.

Here is a link to info on the matrix and how it can be configured (http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/AC3Filter_Help).

Old 27th January 2017, 03:13   #1779
tapi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I use "WinampMatrixMixer" (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win...ixer_0_9_163d/). It is an output plug-in that directs it's output to another Winamp output plug-in. I use the Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.64 (out_ds.dll).

WinampMatrixMixer lets you reconfigure the 2 channels (stereo) or single channel (mono) coming from your source files into up to 6 channels for output to your sound device (front left, center, front right, rear/side left, rear/side right, and subwoofer). The matrix (based on AC3Filter) can configure itself automatically or you can set it up manually to fine tune how much of the source file channels (1 or both) gets sent to each of the desired output channels.

Here is a link to info on the matrix and how it can be configured (http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/AC3Filter_Help).
Thanks! That one did the trick.
Now my surround system is working with winamp too.
Old 27th January 2017, 22:19   #1780
xmuzack

Kind of not related to this thread, but from time to time I'll download another music player, try out their skins and always get frustrated they can't do what Winamp does. The latest being Musicbee to try it's Milkdrop support. I always end up uninstalling those and happily fire up my Winamp. The latest version 5.666 is as good as new to me still. I can wait patently for the new and improved Winamp.
xmuzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 04:20   #1781
kadir

winamp download

thank you ..
kadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 13:24   #1782
dynamicradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
This does sound slightly concerning. I'm hoping the legal side is basically ensuring all AOL stuff has been removed which I suppose would make sense. I hope it's not Radionomy trying to cause issues. Many have been concerned that Radionomy didn't really want Winamp but had to purchase it in order to get hold of the SHOUTcast technologies and have had no interest in continuing Winamp's development. However I'm optimistic that this year could be the year of the lama.
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 09:17   #1783
hellomynameistim

Winamp Pro

Where can I buy Winamp Pro?
hellomynameistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 11:28   #1784
charbonnier

Quote:

I still use winamp... I don't find anything better ! Sorry for autotag, by the way I use Picard when I need
charbonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 14:24   #1785
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

"Autotag" can bring unwanted results. I had used it once and then never again.

The software Mp3tag is very useful, and I can tag a whole album very quickly. Of course the track numbers and the titles should be left individual for each song while other tags can be changed for all songs. And I myself download the album artwork manually in Firefox, from SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Discogs etc.

The CDs can be ripped with Goldwave or with EAC, and the second one is for free.

Old 1st February 2017, 14:42   #1786
cybersaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomynameistim View Post
Where can I buy Winamp Pro?
You can't right now. Why do you ask?

-~cybersaga~-
cybersaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 23:11   #1787
spam23

Location: Chorley, Lancashire, England, UK, Europe, Earth, (3rd rock from the sun)
Send a message via ICQ to spam23 Send a message via Yahoo to spam23
I'm using 'Dopamine' at the moment until something happens with Winamp. Not the drug, the music player. It feels a lot like a newer version of Winamp. I highly suggest giving it a try.

My signature isn't very good
spam23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 13:09   #1788
dianakean

I am still using winamp too, I always play Benalla radio on it and listen to a lot of music. The best software. Old is gold.
dianakean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 08:34   #1789
liza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianakean View Post
I am still using winamp too, I always play Benalla radio on it and listen to a lot of music. The best software. Old is gold.
Thanks for sharing this, i just might try this out. Sounds like a genuine review, so hey..why not!
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 01:48   #1790
bgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykoen View Post
if you go to download page there is a apk for android
Thanks! I somehow missed that link...

Quote:

Making Youtube music videos with Winamp? Wow, I actually never thought of that. I'll have to try that out myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I also used the free version of the "iZotope Ozone for Winamp" plug-in for several years, until I discovered it prevented the winamp.exe process from shutting down when Winamp was closed. All the visible Winamp windows closed, but the Windows' task manager showed that hidden inactive winamp.exe processes were still loaded. Restarting Winamp would take longer and the task manager showed that 2 or more winamp.exe processes were loaded. So, whenever I shutdown Winamp, I had to use the task manager to shutdown any winamp.exe processes that were still loaded. I was using Windows 7 at the time.

I could not determine if it was the Ozone plug-in alone causing this or it's useage in combination with other 3rd party plug-ins I'm using, and/or if the Winamp version (that was current at that time) had anything to do with this. It may have been related to the restrictions Windows placed on writing to certain folders and the registry that started with Windows Vista. The old Ozone plug-in wanted to refresh it's registry entries when it was shutdown. Anyway, I now use the free version of the "Stereo Tool" DSP plug-in (http://www.stereotool.com/). It comes the closest to matching Ozone's performance, imo. However, it does cause Winamp to use significantly more of the CPU (from peaks around 3% to over 20%).
I use the full version of the Ozone plug-in and I've never experienced these issues. It could very well be a conflict with another plugin (I basically only use the Ozone plugin) - either that or the free version behaves differently from the registered version on startup/shutdown. I'll go and try that other plugin you've listed just for the heck of it, to see out of curiosity how it stacks up against iZotope Ozone (it would take a lot for me to change though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skribb View Post
Cool, I've never heard of Izotope before - gonna tryit out. I've always used OctiMax and Volume Logic (stacked). They are the best sound enhancers/DSPs for Winamp i've found.

Volume Logic is the successor to OctiMax but OM is a DSP and VL is a general plugin so they can be used in tandem. They're both by Plantronics (IIRC it was a small swedish developer who made the algorithm and was acquired by Plantroincs) but stopped being supported in 2010 or something.
iZotope Ozone for Winamp (its full name) is definitely worth a try! It's not your average plugin, it emulates an analog amplifier. You'll either love the concept or you'll hate it but, either way, the resulting sound output is top-notch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmuzack View Post
Kind of not related to this thread, but from time to time I'll download another music player, try out their skins and always get frustrated they can't do what Winamp does. The latest being Musicbee to try it's Milkdrop support. I always end up uninstalling those and happily fire up my Winamp. The latest version 5.666 is as good as new to me still. I can wait patently for the new and improved Winamp.
That's pretty much my story as well. I did occasionally (especially early on) habitually try out other alternative music players, thinking that I would eventually find something even better since that was the case for all other types of programs, but I always ended up returning to Winamp. As I mentioned earlier, I'm now in my 20th year of using it and it's the only program that has stuck with me for all these years - everything else I've pretty much changed and upgraded beyond recognition by this point.
bgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 13:36   #1791
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam23 View Post
I'm using 'Dopamine' at the moment until something happens with Winamp. Not the drug, the music player. It feels a lot like a newer version of Winamp. I highly suggest giving it a try.
Just gave it try and I really like the look and feel of it and the flexibility with organizing the music. It doesn't seem to have gapless playback or replaygain so I can't see myself switching to it though. It definitely has potential.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 14:07   #1792
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

About the Winamp-Milkdrop-Videos on YouTube, I have very much music-playlists with these music-videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sternen...bine/playlists

Of course You need also a screenrecorder, Fraps, Camtasia, Hypercam or MAGIX Video 17 Deluxe Premium (or another version number), although MAGIX records with the double speed and I have to play the song twice. I had bought MAGIX on the old-fashioned way, for the other screenrecorders online-banking is required, and I still don't make online-banking. There is also a tutorial in the forums how to turn off the flickering, if Milkdrop should run on the desktop.

@ bgd , maybe we will see us on YouTube...

Old 7th February 2017, 15:21   #1793
CthulhuSaves

There are music players other than Winamp?

Nah, don't care...

CthulhuSaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 18:02   #1794
ksenit13

hi

thanks!!!
ksenit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 04:22   #1795
tapi0

I use Winamp only to listen streams and mp3's from my HD's but it's the best for that IMO.
Old 10th February 2017, 15:20   #1796
llandyw

Send a message via AIM to llandyw Send a message via Yahoo to llandyw
A couple bits of interest.

Someone mentioned in a previous post that they are dismayed that Winamp was never produced for Android.

Well, I have had Winamp for Android quite some time now. It certainly isn't full featured, and is somewhat cumbersome to use, but it is (or was) available. Since I got it a long time ago, it still shows up in the list. However, I don't know if those who don't already have it can still get it. Anyway, the link to it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ullsoft.winamp

The other item.

The patent on MP3 has expired. While code from specific individuals and companies may still be copyrighted, new code can be developed by anyone now that the patent is no longer in effect.

That means Winamp can still play mp3s without having to pay a licensing fee to a patent holder. Still have to write the playback code, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. I know someone who wrote code for it just this past weekend in order to use MP3 with the games she develops.
llandyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 16:08   #1797
musicf8

Wait... Winamp is still in the play store? I thought they removed it...

Anyway, anyone who is a fan of Winamp should know that there was a winamp for android. Should they ever create a winamp app for android worth using imo, then i'd gladly use it as my primary player.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 11th February 2017, 03:01   #1798
llandyw

Send a message via AIM to llandyw Send a message via Yahoo to llandyw
It's there, but as I said, it might be available only to those who downloaded it before it was removed. That's how I got the link was by going there from the icon given to me when I looked at the My Apps list.
llandyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 14:07   #1799
twc

RemoteControl for Winamp
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eControl&hl=nl
twc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 11:34   #1800
tapi0

Nice to know about but atleast I don't need that.
Good if there is someone in need.

BTW. You should have remove that language prefix from the URL...we are not all from netherlands you know. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....RemoteControl
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion