Old 20th March 2017, 15:03   #1841
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
I've been using GoneMAD Music Player for a while, it's perfect aside from a bug that changes my eq preset every time I open it. Worth every penny.
Of all the players I have tried, GoneMAD is far and away the best player on Android. You can do a lot with customization on it. I used to see the equalizer change on restart once in a while but that hasn't happened in some time. If you make sure to hit the save button to save the preset I've had better luck.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 17:45   #1842
motox22a

Winamp still plays 99 percent of mainstream audio formats and it works under Windows 10 just fine...It also works under Linux using Wine just fine...About the only thing that really needs done (Other than those that feel it needs some sort of cosmetic update) is to get it to work on Android...If there was an Android version of WINE then it may be possible to get it in it's current form to run under Android as well since my understanding of Android is it's just Google's customized version of Linux..But I'm not a programmer so I don't know what the real differences are...Since I'm not a smartphone user the Android thing is not big for me...I do have an Android media box and have JETAUDIO PLUS installed on that which actually is quite good...Unfortunately the additional plugins also cost money...I'll probably buy those (eventually)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Winamp was released by Nullsoft in 1997 and sold to AOL 2 years later. It has been over 9 years since the last major update of Winamp's core code. Hardware and software coding techniques and APIs have evolved a great deal since then.

The Winamp desktop app (after 19 years) and many of it's plug-ins only work as well as they do because Microsoft must continue to support legacy code as much as possible.

After 2007, AOL decided not to invest in any more major updates of the desktop app's core code. A relatively brief effort (during 2010 and 2011) was made to port Winamp to other platforms. A major attempt to fix several 'bugs' in the Winamp desktop app's core code was completed in 2013.

Winamp's current owner (sold to Radionomy in 2014) seems to have made the same investment decision related to major upgrades. It appears that any major upgrades (or plug-in support) going forward will depend on hacks by clever 3rd party developers.

I started using Winamp in 1998 and have tried many other apps since then. IMO, it is still the best available app (mainly due to it's support of plug-ins) for playing and managing many digital music formats on the Windows desktop.
motox22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 18:38   #1843
musicf8
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Originally Posted by motox22a View Post
If there was an Android version of WINE then it may be possible to get it in it's current form to run under Android as well since my understanding of Android is it's just Google's customized version of Linux.
There was a demonstration of running wine under android, but in terms of having it run on a phone platform I don't believe it would function that well because winamp was made for a desktop platform.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 20:18   #1844
motox22a

Yes but with the proliferation of Android Media Boxes that would justify it. On a big screen TV using an android media player that's not an issue. (Using a wireless keyboard and mouse that is as that's still the easiest way to maneuver)...
Oh yes...It would need to be able to run on a non-Intel/AMD CPU as well (As I don't think WINE is going to fix that)...

Last edited by motox22a; 20th March 2017 at 21:44.
Old 20th March 2017, 20:37   #1845
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
If you make sure to hit the save button to save the preset I've had better luck.
I have my presets saved the thing is that it changes the eq to the next one on the list or flat without showing the change by changing the current eq name. I have a workaround though, just duplicate your preferred eq and name it in a way that it shows up next on the list. Shame they don't have an iOS app, switched phones and I'm stuck without it

Making a super dope user image for Windows 10 in Photoshop or Illustrator? Make it 448x448 to minimize artifacting from compression.
ReactOS - My Winamp Wishlist - Custom EQ - Playlists missing tracks on Android (Fixed?)
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 13:09   #1846
seyss

hey what are the latest news on WA development?
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 13:40   #1847
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyss View Post
hey what are the latest news on WA development?

Here is the long list of things that have happened since I last posted any development news.....

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 14:34   #1848
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Here is the long list of things that have happened since I last posted any development news.....

Thank you for posting something and being honest.
We know that you are working hard at this and we appreciate it.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 17:21   #1849
thom_horne

Can you not try and get Radionomy to open source Winamp? It's getting clear that if they had ANY plans in the product or getting money from it they aleady would as the original post was around three years ago.
thom_horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 17:26   #1850
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom_horne View Post
Can you not try and get Radionomy to open source Winamp?
again, open source doesn't mean there would be any more development. Though while I could see DrO taking up a lot of it, he is already doing enough even with the source closed.

Radionomy should have reinstated nullsoft prior to AOL shutting it down, because supposedly nullsoft was profitable up until it was shut down, but instead they basically just grabbed the shoutcast code they wanted and stiffed the loyal fans of winamp

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 28th March 2017, 18:39   #1851
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post

Radionomy should have reinstated nullsoft prior to AOL shutting it down, because supposedly nullsoft was profitable up until it was shut down, but instead they basically just grabbed the shoutcast code they wanted and stiffed the loyal fans of winamp
AOL did not shutdown Nullsoft. Nullsoft was the very small company that created Winamp and they shut themselves down many years ago. After Winamp was sold to AOL in 1999, most of the original developers moved on to other things rather than work for AOL. Basically, Nullsoft should now be thought of as a brand name. A lot of the core code still in Winamp is updated or patched code that Nullsoft created and released in 1997.

AOL made money with Winamp mostly thru click-on ads. In the US, some of these ads were in Winamp itself. Most of the ads were on websites that Winamp linked to thru it's online services and on the Winamp home website itself (websites sponsored/hosted directly or indirectly by AOL). Some money was also made thru selling the Winamp Pro version.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 18:52   #1852
musicf8
Major Dude

You are correct, though sometimes I get confused when nullsoft really shutdown because of all the changes that happened in AOL (and I believe it is still reflected in the about screen w/ a copyright).

I guess Nullsoft unofficially ended when JF left in 2004. I dunno, all this crap still confuses me. Should 5.8 ever be released it would be interesting to see the credits because for all I know, the only person that appears left is DJ Egg.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 29th March 2017, 03:01   #1853
seyss

someone should leak the Winamp source
Old 29th March 2017, 05:29   #1854
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
someone should leak the Winamp source
yeah and start lawsuits for other people using said leaked source code.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 29th March 2017, 20:36   #1855
tsunami

Quote:

I would love to see new version of Winamp, who do we have to bribe to let it happen.

Quote:
yeah and start lawsuits for other people using said leaked source code.
isnt the reason why we still haven't seen new version cause "legal" issues certain parties need to deal with, but have been yet? could swore I read that if not for that a beta would been released by now?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 20:58   #1856
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
isnt the reason why we still haven't seen new version cause "legal" issues certain parties need to deal with, but have been yet? could swore I read that if not for that a beta would been released by now?
To quote DJ Egg's Twitter Post
Quote:
Waiting on approval from legal dept & TPTB. If it were up to me, a Winamp 5.8 public beta would've been out months ago

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 30th March 2017, 00:00   #1857
seyss

US can't sue some Russian guy using WA sources amigo
Old 30th March 2017, 00:08   #1858
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
US can't sue some Russian guy using WA sources amigo
Not sure what the US has to do with anything, Vivendi is a french multinational company, and radionomy is based out of belgium, and do you honestly believe that they can't find a way? Huh... guess that's why nobody ever gets busted for using copyrighted material across countries....

Even DrO got a legal letter for just using the winamp name

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 30th March 2017, 09:08   #1859
DJ-Garybaldy

DrO isn't the only one who's had a friendly warning from Radionomy for using the name or distributing old shoutcast/winamp software.

Proud user of RadioDJ FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 20:53   #1860
Ruzaél

Quote:

That's such a bummer. I was wondering though... if there were to be any developers with some free time, can they become involved? I know this isn't an open-source project, but I feel that there has to be at least a couple who are willing to put in some TLC into Winamp and breathe new life into it.

In other words, is Radionomy hiring?
Ruzaél is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 10:41   #1861
manimas

hi guys in winamp
i think something realy necessary for Winamp in windows version is casting audio/video to network device such as TV . i think if this feature added most of previous customer that left over Wp come back soon.
regards
manimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 14:21   #1862
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have just seen the postings #1858 and #1859.

Names are legally protected, and this applies to all products in this world. A friendly warning is definitely much better than if there is suddenly a complaint before court. Especially the music world is full of court processes. And I am coming from the music world...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:51   #1863
olavinto

Businesses must protect their intellectual properties and take at least some form of action if they are violated in some way. Not because they are bad and oppressive, but because they are required by law to do so or they can lose the right to them if they do not.

Sure some take this further than others but so it is with everything. As long as smaller infringements are handled "with a friendly note", it has been handled as it should be.
olavinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:38   #1864
cybersaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzaél View Post
That's such a bummer. I was wondering though... if there were to be any developers with some free time, can they become involved? I know this isn't an open-source project, but I feel that there has to be at least a couple who are willing to put in some TLC into Winamp and breathe new life into it.

In other words, is Radionomy hiring?
From DJ Egg's comments, it seems that the hold-up at this point isn't man-power, it's lagalities. So more developers won't help.

-~cybersaga~-
cybersaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 01:11   #1865
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaga View Post
From DJ Egg's comments, it seems that the hold-up at this point isn't man-power, it's lagalities. So more developers won't help.
Exactly.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 01:24   #1866
musicf8
Major Dude

I don't think it's really legal, I think it's mostly "TPTB". I assume it's the lack of interest in the product on their part. It's not like they really gave a damn about it in the first place. Let's be honest, if they actually cared about the winamp product, then they would have given us something by now, be it a beta program or a damn site update. All I know that they have accomplished and released is taking over shoutcast, updated the shoutcast site, and that's it. They haven't really done **** in regards to winamp or the site.

Now I am not saying that there is no 5.8 beta, or anything, I def trust DJ Eggs word on it all, im just saying that after getting rid of all the developers (tmk) that worked on winamp, it says a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if they just outsourced the beta development and then never really gave it much thought after that.

But these are all opinions and assumptions, mostly because zero information has been released on who is developing it or any changes (besides removal of licensed code) or anything.

/rant

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 9th April 2017, 18:16   #1867
Strange_Jane

You are Missed.

I just finally went through the entire registration process only to say - I WANT MY WINAMP.
I still use it, every day, I mean it really _whips the Llamas ass_...seriously... but it needs bugs updated. I can rarely get it to connect to my computer (staying die-hard with win7, screw Cortana...we didn't get along). Most of the time Winamp just doesn't detect my phone anymore (Samsung Galaxy 5). I can wait hours for it to do so - no luck. So I cannot update my playlists. It randomly loses my playlists and lists no songs in them.

Even with all this it's still #1. Why? It doesn't SHOVE random not-mine songs into the middle of my playlists. It doesn't shove other people's music in my face. I want to listen to what I want to listen to, when, and in what order. That should be simple. Winamp offered that.

All other apps are about shoving new sales of new artists into your face (ears) when you're just trying to go about your day wanting to listen to your playlists. I want my winamp full support and updates back. Winamp will always be Llama Ruler. *much love*
Strange_Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 22:53   #1868
MikaelaArsenault

Any new updates yet?
MikaelaArsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 23:12   #1869
musicf8
Major Dude

No.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 9th April 2017, 23:19   #1870
MikaelaArsenault

Quote:
No.
Well that's just a bummer. I'll just have to either download Winamp somewhere else or just listen to SHOUTcast for the time being.
MikaelaArsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 23:34   #1871
GorillaCat

Check the first page of this thread

Making a super dope user image for Windows 10 in Photoshop or Illustrator? Make it 448x448 to minimize artifacting from compression.
ReactOS - My Winamp Wishlist - Custom EQ - Playlists missing tracks on Android (Fixed?)
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 23:48   #1872
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
Check the first page of this thread
This. Not sure why you would want to download winamp from some random source

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 10th April 2017, 23:53   #1873
dynamicradio

Quote:

Do they not want it released? Sounds like they aren't that invested in winamp
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 09:42   #1874
corvaris

When I got into the http://www.winamp.com/ page I thought "Oh yeah! New version would be released soon". Then redirected to the forums and now... i'm just disappointed
corvaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 07:18   #1875
motox22a

Long Live Win"AMP"!!!

Living happily in Linux/Zorin 12.1 (Ubuntu 16.04LTS)...
Streaming to my bluetooth INFINITY ONE speaker...

Old 28th April 2017, 14:56   #1876
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

On 21st April 2017 he has become 20 (1 week ago).

Winamp... I love him so much...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 17:59   #1877
chros

Quote:
Living happily in Linux/Zorin 12.1 (Ubuntu 16.04LTS)...
Streaming to my bluetooth INFINITY ONE speaker...
As someone mentioned above, I also use Audacious (with classic Winamp skin) on Ubuntu 14.04:
- you can get bit-perfect output with it (like WASAPI exclusive mode on Windows): the sound quality difference is huge! (compared to the shitty Pulse-audio driver)

Winamp 5.581 (DirectSound out) + ClockAmp 2.6 + mp3cue 5.0
MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4358)+GeForceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Plextor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 21:56   #1878
motox22a

I'll give it a try...Does it replace the Pulse Audio Driver? I don't want to default back to ALSA for other stuff. I'm not sure how that would work for my other Audio Applications (including Duplex stuff like Skype) but I'll definitely check it out...I always image with Clonezilla so I can check out new stuff and if it doesn't work out I can quickly reimage...Thanks for pointing this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
As someone mentioned above, I also use Audacious (with classic Winamp skin) on Ubuntu 14.04:
- you can get bit-perfect output with it (like WASAPI exclusive mode on Windows): the sound quality difference is huge! (compared to the shitty Pulse-audio driver)
Old 29th April 2017, 17:29   #1879
chros

Quote:
I'll give it a try...Does it replace the Pulse Audio Driver? I don't want to default back to ALSA for other stuff.
No, you don't have to and we can't get rid of Pusle Audio (it's so integrated) since 14.04 (?).
It's individual application setting, so you can set it in every audio/video player (Audacious, Clementine, SMPlayer, etc.) that supports it.
In Audacious, under Audio output:
- ouput: Alsa
- device: hw:0:HDA, direct hardware acces without samplerate conversion
- mixer: hardware master mixer

With this you'll get bit-perfect audio, means exclusive mode: other device can't access to the audio device until playback goes.

Maybe you can make the same work with Winamp (with WinE (?)), I haven't tried. If you managed to do so, let us know

Winamp 5.581 (DirectSound out) + ClockAmp 2.6 + mp3cue 5.0
MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4358)+GeForceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Plextor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 23:49   #1880
motox22a

Blasphemy...But Mikey likes it!!!

On my desktop PC I had to use HW 2,0 USB as I'm using a USB DAC to play to desktop speakers..

You can stream bluetooth using Audacious by using the PulseAudio Volume Control after starting another audio app (Winamp for example)...Then select your Bluetooth speaker (in PAVC) after establishing a link to it in BLUEMAN...Then once that's working...Close the audio application and open Audacious...Then select PCM Default in Audacious which will fall back to the bluetooth speaker you were just playing...

Glad to see my Winamp NucleoLog Skin works fine and the extra benefit is that the Nucleolog graphic equalizer is used instead of the very basic audio equalizer in Audacious...

Visualisations from Winamp appear to not be supported as I tried copying my Analog Meters visualisation over to the Audacious folder usr/share/Audacious but it's not picked up in the Audacious interface (I tried both in the root directory and also making a profiles folder)...

The audio does seem cleaner than Pulse Audio (especially noticeable when wearing headphones)...

On my Laptop I was able to just use the default HW 0 Direct Hardware without any conversions setting.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion