Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 30th January 2015, 14:57   #41
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi pbelkner,

Does version 0.4.0 include a possible fix for my issue?

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 15:33   #42
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Does version 0.4.0 include a possible fix for my issue?
No. If you get an error reading "format not supported" it means that the format is not supported. Sorry.
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:58   #43
TheWalruss

Just a curious question. The WASAPI mode is supposedly better than the old one for number of technical reasons, but will I actually hear any difference? When I just listen to music in absolutely normal way, is there any reason I would want to use it?

I tried the plugin, and immeditaly noticed all other sound sources stopped working. That's weird, because TeamSpeak has the WASAPI option as well, and when I use it, I can listen to music without problems. Is this normal?

I also randomly tried the different options, and when I selected shared instead of exclusive, I get an error message "S_FALSE: "yasapi_player.c" (134). when I try to play a song, and then Winamp crashes.
TheWalruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 07:17   #44
Raj_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalruss View Post
Just a curious question. The WASAPI mode is supposedly better than the old one for number of technical reasons, but will I actually hear any difference? When I just listen to music in absolutely normal way, is there any reason I would want to use it?

I tried the plugin, and immeditaly noticed all other sound sources stopped working. That's weird, because TeamSpeak has the WASAPI option as well, and when I use it, I can listen to music without problems. Is this normal?

I also randomly tried the different options, and when I selected shared instead of exclusive, I get an error message "S_FALSE: "yasapi_player.c" (134). when I try to play a song, and then Winamp crashes.
This might help:. It is a guide to the other WASAPI plugin Maiko

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588677/a-sh...w-maiko-wasapi

Essentially, WASAPI routes the music without mixing it before reaching the speakers. You get the music as it is with no fancy sampling around. This works best with music encoded at high bit rates and great quality. It is also because of the music is not sampled, you would not get sound from other sources, but one (YASAPI output). This is by design.

Hope this helps. Anyone wants to add? You are welcome

@pbelkner

Sorry I plugged in a guide to Maiko's plugin. I could not find any other guide to illustrate. I use your plugin since launch now so count me as your fan. Keep the work on the plugin

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 14:01   #45
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_09 View Post
Sorry I plugged in a guide to Maiko's plugin.
That's fine with me. YASAPI and MAIKO are complementary to each other. YASAPI focuses on exclusive mode and MAIKO on shared mode (and indeed, on my side it crashes in exclusive mode).
Old 4th February 2015, 14:34   #46
pbelkner

Quote:
I tried the plugin, and immeditaly noticed all other sound sources stopped working.
That's the expected behavior in exclusive mode. Hence exclusive ...

It should not happen in shared mode.
Quote:
That's weird, because TeamSpeak has the WASAPI option as well, and when I use it, I can listen to music without problems. Is this normal?
Possibly that's shared mode.

Quote:
That's the flip side of shared mode: It only plays the sample rate you've configured in Windows: Control Panel -> Sound.

You shouldn't have this problem with exclusive mode. If some sample rate is not supported in exclusive mode (e.g. 22.050) you should get AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT.
Old 4th February 2015, 14:52   #47
TheWalruss

Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation.
That makes the plugin basically useless though, because I'd like to be able to listen to music while playing games for example, and talking to people on TS.
TheWalruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 14:57   #48
pbelkner

Quote:
That makes the plugin basically useless though
You should add for you because out_ds is all you need.
Old 14th February 2015, 05:16   #49
pbelkner

v0.5.0

What's new?
  • Utilization of the IAudioClock interface instead of the GetTickCount() or the timeGetTime() functions for reporting the elapsed time to Winamp.
  • Option for controlling whether "written time" should be calculated.

Relevant links:
Old 26th February 2015, 18:22   #50
Digiti

I tried this plugin on my Windows 64 bit with SA stereotool dsp but I do not get any sound at all. The spectrum analyzer display is also erratic and the scrolling of the musical selection is accelerated for some reason.
Digiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 04:34   #51
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti View Post
I tried this plugin on my Windows 64 bit with SA stereotool dsp but I do not get any sound at all. The spectrum analyzer display is also erratic and the scrolling of the musical selection is accelerated for some reason.
I'm on Vista 64 myself. I just installed Stereo Tool 7.60 (http://www.stereotool.com/download/) and it works fine.

Have you tried the YASPI plugin without any DSP?
Old 27th February 2015, 10:21   #52
Digiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbelkner View Post
I'm on Vista 64 myself. I just installed Stereo Tool 7.60 (http://www.stereotool.com/download/) and it works fine.

Have you tried the YASPI plugin without any DSP?

Yes with the same result
Digiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:43   #53
KaiStone

The bug of S_FALSE and AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT maybe a barrier to me.

Iam using Windows 10 and an USB Sound Card. I was using Maiko WASAPI since Windows 8.1, it works well until Windows 10. Sound sometimes freezes and the only way to get it back is unplug the USB cable then plug it again. It happens every 1 or 2 hours.

I see that your plugin works better to me. Of course Exclusive settings are poor (compair to Maiko's), but I always use Shared Mode so your plugin is almost perfect without the bug above.

What gonna happen if I have a lot of songs with various bitrate? I believe that almost people in here, who using your plugin do have.

And when I was deep in a sweet melody, the error popup appears interrupting my moment, I have to close error reporting windows, go to sound settings -> device settings -> change my default format -> open Winamp again -> choose next song??? And if I was lucky, I will remember to change it again before next song plays, cause next song is stored at another sampling. Bad story.

I know it is not a bug, it's what you called "by design" but I did not see any output methods requires me to change sound sampling matching song's sampling. You should have better solution for this.
KaiStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:18   #54
Tohno_Neil

Sorry,there is BUG:

(hp g4-1060tx laptop,i5-2410M CPU @2.3GHz,4G RAM,win7_x64,Winamp 5.666)

1.Too hard to use, high delay.

2.Not support 24bit.

Where going to my love?
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 17:23   #55
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiStone View Post
The bug of S_FALSE and AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT maybe a barrier to me.

Iam using Windows 10 and an USB Sound Card. I was using Maiko WASAPI since Windows 8.1, it works well until Windows 10. Sound sometimes freezes and the only way to get it back is unplug the USB cable then plug it again. It happens every 1 or 2 hours.

I see that your plugin works better to me. Of course Exclusive settings are poor (compair to Maiko's), but I always use Shared Mode so your plugin is almost perfect without the bug above.
It's not a bug at all. It's just how WASAPI works in non-exclusive mode: It uses the sample rate from the system settings. If your audio source has a sample frequency different from the system setting you end up with the above errors.

In such a case Maiko silently does sample rate conversion (SRC). But why using WASPI in conjunction with SRC and not DS? SRC is exactly what DS adds to the bill. WASAPI + SRC = DS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiStone View Post
What gonna happen if I have a lot of songs with various bitrate?
Bitrate doesn't matter. I assume you mean sample frequency.

If WASAPI of your sound card supports all of you're frequencies you may use WASAPI in exclusive mode. That's where YASAPI is designed for. Otherwise YASAPI is not for you, just use DS!
Old 6th September 2015, 17:32   #56
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
Sorry,there is BUG:

(hp g4-1060tx laptop,i5-2410M CPU @2.3GHz,4G RAM,win7_x64,Winamp 5.666)

1.Too hard to use, high delay.

2.Not support 24bit.
Indeed it support's 24 bit. Possibly the WASPI of your sound card doesn't support 24 bit. Or you are in non-exclusive/shared mode, then WASAPI (not YASAPI) uses the system settings.

YASAPI doesn't silently perform any digital sound processing (DSP, e.g. SRC or conversion from 24 to 16 bit). If you try to route any format via YASPI to the WASPI of your sound card which is not supported by the WASAPI of your sound card it will fail. In such a case YASAPI is simply not for you. WASAPI + DSP = DS, cf. above! Simply use DS!
Old 7th September 2015, 09:05   #57
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
WASAPI + DSP = DS
Get it,now I do not use dsp,
But,play music use YASAPI delay too high(It make Prolonged sound /high-pitched sounds),on start/seek and track change.

Now I can use shared mode play 24bit format,but delay also too high.

Where going to my love?
Old 7th September 2015, 13:32   #58
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
Now I can use shared mode play 24bit format,but delay also too high.
You should "play" with the buffer sizes from the preferences, i.e. reduce them as much as possible.
Old 8th September 2015, 04:42   #59
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
You should "play" with the buffer sizes from the preferences, i.e. reduce them as much as possible.
reduce buffer sizes or add buffer sizes?

get more delay,no ues,sorry.

Where going to my love?
Old 28th September 2015, 09:54   #60
chapiz

Quote:
What's new?
  • Utilization of the IAudioClock interface instead of the GetTickCount() or the timeGetTime() functions for reporting the elapsed time to Winamp.
  • Option for controlling whether "written time" should be calculated.

Relevant links:
thanks for the info.
chapiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 11:35   #61
chros

Hi Peter!

I have just found your plugin, thanks for your work!

1. I got this error when I try to use: shared+push mode: S_FALSE: "yasapi_player.c" (140). (sampling rate is matched in Sound in Control panel, 44.1KHZ) I'm not using any dsp plugin.
Exclusive mode is working fine.

Winamp 5.581, yasapi 0.5, Win8.1 x64, hdmi out to Yamaha RX-A830.

Thanks
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 04:28   #62
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Hi Peter!

I have just found your plugin, thanks for your work!

1. I got this error when I try to use: shared+push mode: S_FALSE: "yasapi_player.c" (140). (sampling rate is matched in Sound in Control panel, 44.1KHZ) I'm not using any dsp plugin.
Exclusive mode is working fine.

Winamp 5.581, yasapi 0.5, Win8.1 x64, hdmi out to Yamaha RX-A830.

Thanks
Not each mode is supported by each DAC. You've find out which one is supported by yours (if any at all), and that's what you've obviously already have

EDIT: "yasapi_player.c" (140) is a call to IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported().

Last edited by pbelkner; 2nd October 2015 at 05:53.
Old 2nd October 2015, 16:06   #63
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
YASAPI doesn't silently perform any digital sound processing (DSP, e.g. SRC or conversion from 24 to 16 bit). If you try to route any format via YASPI to the WASPI of your sound card which is not supported by the WASAPI of your sound card it will fail. In such a case YASAPI is simply not for you. WASAPI + DSP = DS, cf. above! Simply use DS!
Why not use AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_AUTOCONVERTPCM?
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 07:50   #64
pbelkner

v0.6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benski View Post
Why not use AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_AUTOCONVERTPCM?
Because I didn't know ...

Unfortunately I'm on Vista and my SDK doesn't define this flag in it's "audiosessiontypes.h". To circumvent this I can define it myself, of course, following https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx.

What about AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_SRC_DEFAULT_QUALITY which is mentioned at the bottom under "Community Additions"? This is not even mentioned in the above official documentation.

Anyway, I've created a new release adding the AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_AUTOCONVERTPCM flag when in shared mode:Please note that I'm unable to test it because I'm on Vista which seems not to support it.
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:19   #65
pbelkner

v0.6.1

Corrected a silly bug in testing for share mode.
Old 5th October 2015, 12:43   #66
Raj_09

Hello Pbelkner,

I tried using the 0.50 version on my new Acer laptop - with Realtek. Sadly it would not work and I felt pretty sad as the plugin was working on my previous HP laptop. Well, I gave your 0.61 version a try tonight and it WORKED! Pure orgasm for the ears!! Many thanks from a very happy audiophile. Keep up the good work!!. Appreciated !!

Old 5th October 2015, 13:04   #67
Raj_09

actually I figured out that it was the sse2 version that would not work previously. The normal version works perfect. My config is a Core I7 4720HQ @ 2.6ghz on Windows 10. Well I will be using the "normal version" with Winamp.

Old 6th October 2015, 19:14   #68
chros

Quote:
Not each mode is supported by each DAC. You've find out which one is supported by yours (if any at all), and that's what you've obviously already have

EDIT: "yasapi_player.c" (140) is a call to IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported().
Thanks for the new version! Unfortunately it has the same behaivour. (with both normal and sse version)
I don't understand this part: "Not each mode is supported by each DAC."
Only Exclusive+Push is working, not shared mode at all. But the old Maiko is working for me in shared mode.

If you need some additional info/test, just tell me
Thank you!

EDIT: I have found out what the problem was with the shared mode (Maiko plugin helped me, I remembered that it upconverted the audio to 5.1 channels):
- you have to set to stereo (2 channel) the speaker configuration!!!
- and the output to: 16 bit, 44100Hz (otherwise I got back the line 140 error message, is this a bug in 0.6.1)

My setup is: laptop -> hdmi -> av receiver -> hdmi -> tv
I'm using MPC-HC (latest nightly also have an internal wasapi renderer) for videos, movies , and I set it to use exclusive mode (it required to bitsreaming the supported format to the receiver), so a 2 channel source can be upconverted to 5.1 by putting AC3filter at the end of the directshow chain (outputs 5.1 pcm).

So the setup seems to be perfect in this way! Thank you for this awesome plugin!

Bug (?): all the modes are working except for Exclusive+Pull (I'm using Shared+Push now) (I'm using the sse version)

Feature request (if you are in the mood):
- create a select box where we can choose the device to playback with, e.g. SytemDefault, device1, device2.... (you can check the source code of MPC-HC, how did they implemented it)
- proper upsampling and downsampling in shared mode
- create a checkbox called "Allow audio channel up/downmixing" (which would change the channels to the system speaker configuration)

(Funny part is that I came here from the linux world: in Ubuntu the same problem exists. The main audio driver is ALSA and there's a userspace daemon called PulseAudio which is a mixer layer on top of that, and unfortunately it ruins the audio quality the same way as the builtin Windows mixer does. It turned out that couple of audio (Audacoius, Clementine, etc)and video player (Smplayer, etc) can output audio directly to the ALSA device, so it can use exclusive or shared mode of the audio device. The result is the same as in Windows: more dynamic sound!
And Google Chrome browser also has an "--enable-exclusive-audio" command-line switch! )

Thanks again!

Last edited by chros; 6th October 2015 at 21:10.
Old 11th October 2015, 16:19   #69
Winamp Today

Hi Peter
Your plugin works fine in exclusive mode, but when I tick 24bit in Winamp or play any file below 44KHz, YASAPI fails.
Because of the limitation, I can't play any low quality station & I have to change API.
Also, I only want to play in "bit-exact" mode.

4 Years old notebook, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, everything is updated to latest version.
Winamp Today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 04:59   #70
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winamp Today View Post
Hi Peter
Your plugin works fine in exclusive mode, but when I tick 24bit in Winamp or play any file below 44KHz, YASAPI fails.
Because of the limitation, I can't play any low quality station & I have to change API.
Also, I only want to play in "bit-exact" mode.

4 Years old notebook, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, everything is updated to latest version.
It's always the same answer: It's not a bug, it's a limitation of your WASAPI. The plug-in just tries to route the signal to the sound device via WASAPI, in particular it deploys no re-sampler. In your case you need to deploy the re-sampler yourself. Or you could use the famous FFSoX input plug-in
Old 13th October 2015, 14:22   #71
djnforce9

No Sound for me

Decided to give your plugin a try since Maiko's output may crash Winamp when changing songs. However, I can't get any sound out of YASAPI from my DAC whereas everything including exclusive mode works fine with Maiko's plugin. This goes for all settings Shared/Exclusive with push/pull.

Perhaps the wrong sound device is being used by the plugin? I see nowhere to select a sound device.
djnforce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 18:22   #72
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnforce9 View Post
Perhaps the wrong sound device is being used by the plugin? I see nowhere to select a sound device.
In order to get some idea about what's going on you should deploy the debug version and post the trace.
Old 14th October 2015, 15:32   #73
chros

Quote:
The plugin is using the default sound device of the OS, no device selection is available for now. You can try out whether this is the issue by selecting what you need in Sound of Control Panel. Then try out Exclusive-push first.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:58   #74
djnforce9

Quote:
In order to get some idea about what's going on you should deploy the debug version and post the trace.
Mind providing me with a link to the debug version? I was only able to find the regular one on the project's page. Also, what exactly do you need me to provide? Does this plugin generate a log file somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
The plugin is using the default sound device of the OS, no device selection is available for now. You can try out whether this is the issue by selecting what you need in Sound of Control Panel. Then try out Exclusive-push first.
I did that but still no go. Either no output or Winamp crashes completely.
Old 20th October 2015, 15:36   #75
pbelkner

Quote:
Mind providing me with a link to the debug version?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/out-....1.7z/download

Please note the "d" at the end of "out_yasapid".

EDIT:
Quote:
Does this plugin generate a log file somewhere?
In the configuration, you should disable "Hide Console". Then a debug window appears providing the trace.

Last edited by pbelkner; 20th October 2015 at 17:09.
Old 21st October 2015, 20:12   #76
djnforce9

Did that

Ok, ran the plugin with the debug window open and got this the moment I went to play something:

- Running in exclusive push mode.

code:
init
architecture: 0
options: "C:\Winamp\Plugins\out_yasapid.ini"
share mode: EXCLUSIVE
startegy: push
ring size: 4.0
ring filled: 2.5
shared size: 1.0
critical section created
waitable timer created
device enumerator created
device created
init successful
setvolume
volume: 1.00
open
bufferlenms: -1
video: 0
initializing for push mode
audio client activated
device format: WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE, channels: 2, rate: 192000, bps: 32, KSD
ATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT, SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT
AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT
Error format not supported (channels: 2, rate: 44100, bps: 24): "yasapi_player.c
" (147).
Error creating player: "out_yasapi.c" (130).

Old 22nd October 2015, 05:06   #77
pbelkner

There you have it, your WASAPI device doesn't support the requested format:
Quote:
device format: WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE, channels: 2, rate: 192000, bps: 32, KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT, SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT
Error format not supported (channels: 2, rate: 44100, bps: 24): "yasapi_player.c" (147).
You try to send
channels: 2, rate: 192000, bps: 32, KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT
Your WASAPI devicde says that this is not supported. The closest match from your WASAPI device is
channels: 2, rate: 44100, bps: 24 (integer)
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:46   #78
djnforce9

Makes sense but how come I get playback with MAIKO's WASAPI plugin (as I have the same settings for that too)? My DAC is capable of 32bit, 192Khz playback (I have it set as such in Windows "Speaker Properties").

EDIT: Any way the plugin can re-sample the media so that it's compatible (like what Audacity does it you change the project's sampling rate)? It'd be neat to play virtually anything that way without worrying about the source sample rate and bit depths.

Last edited by djnforce9; 23rd October 2015 at 16:09.
Old 24th October 2015, 06:40   #79
pbelkner

Quote:
device format: WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE, channels: 2, rate: 192000, bps: 32, KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT, SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT
Error format not supported (channels: 2, rate: 44100, bps: 24): "yasapi_player.c" (147).
Error creating player: "out_yasapi.c" (130).[/code]
Unfortunately I've misinterpreted the trace. The trace really says that you send
channels: 2, rate: 44100, bps: 24
That is what WA typically does.

On the other hand
channels: 2, rate: 192000, bps: 32, KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT
says that your WASAPI device internally uses this particular format.

From that we may conclude that your WASAPI device uses float 32 instead of some integer format. Can you confirm that?

Quote:
Any way the plugin can re-sample the media so that it's compatible
If you can confirm the above I can try something.
Old 26th October 2015, 06:09   #80
pbelkner

v0.7.0

Quote:
What's new?
  • Support for multiple devices.
  • Configuration options per device.
  • Various fixes.

Note: Prior configuration for the default device may be lost. Please re-configure.

Relevant links:
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion