Old 13th December 2015, 02:19   #1
dave1977nj

2 Years Today With No Update For Winamp!

It's been 2 years today 12/12/2015 now without a update for Winamp.

Radionomy... you need to start working on Winamp!
dave1977nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 05:29   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

For playing audio files, the patched version of 5.666.3516 (with a few new 3rd party plug-ins) is still working just fine for me.

Victhor has released a great new skin (http://victhor.deviantart.com/art/KO...reen-577329475). It has plenty of eye candy and new ways to use Winamp's basic features to manage and interact with your files. Makes it seem like a new player.

A few people on other websites claim to have seen a beta of the next version. If true, then the Radionomy devs are working on the Winamp update.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 13:44   #3
Tohno_Neil

It's time to consider use POWERFUL x64 bit BaiduMusic player,ha ha ha

↑ it's a joke. :-P

Where going to my love?
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 14:03   #4
Tohno_Neil

Radionomy,wait for what ? Then spring has come,happy new year.

Where going to my love?
Old 14th December 2015, 17:51   #5
Koogle

Some updates just aren't worth having...

I mean look at the shit Microsuck have been doing to windows.. 8, 8.1, 10 ... total shit.

What about Mozilla.. those retards have been lobotomizing Firefox into total shit in the last 5years, and still they think the goal should be making it more like that pile of shit chrome.

Really can't see Winamp updates being any better, just glad it still works the best thing about winamp is the plugins, medialibrary and the modern skin system that got extended by cpro.

...Radionomy got winamp for the shoutcast userbase.... if they wanted it to suceed they would have worked on putting the website back and having a centralized place for community to continue making plugins, skins etc.

They seemed pretty fucking clueless as to what to do with a windows application. They probably want to to turn it into some sort of mobile phone cloud sharing shite.

My signature was just too damn good to be seen here..
Koogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 23:31   #6
Vercalos

Feel free to skip this post; I'm not active on the forums and likely to repeat a lot of what has already been posted before.

Frankly I have no idea what Radionomy is going to do, but their entire service smacks of incompetence. Their website has a decent, if basic, aesthetic, but whoever did the coding for their website should be replaced with someone who has a better idea what they're doing. I tried searching for several artists on the site, and quite a few of them return:
"Sorry, an unknown error occured while processing your request."
Which basically means no results were found, which includes popular artists such as John Newman

For artists the site does recognize, it links to additional reading information, but the language seems to be random, PSY, for some reason, links to a French article rather than an English one, and Radiohead's link doesn't display properly within the website..

The fact that they bought Winamp and let it lie fallow bothers me most. Winamp is my favorite music player for PC, and I think we, the users, would have been better off if AOL had released the source-code and made it open source.
Vercalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 19:44   #7
seyss

Radionomy ruined Winamp development.
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 03:47   #8
dave1977nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
For playing audio files, the patched version of 5.666.3516 (with a few new 3rd party plug-ins) is still working just fine for me.

Victhor has released a great new skin (http://victhor.deviantart.com/art/KO...reen-577329475). It has plenty of eye candy and new ways to use Winamp's basic features to manage and interact with your files. Makes it seem like a new player.

A few people on other websites claim to have seen a beta of the next version. If true, then the Radionomy devs are working on the Winamp update.
Where can i get the patch for this?
dave1977nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 04:23   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

If you're asking about the latest patched version of Winamp, see link below.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-winamp/

Old 23rd February 2016, 10:17   #10
Andalando

Glad to get the latest update here and the link too. Hope this will help to get the latest version of winamp.
Andalando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:29   #11
wxrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercalos View Post
Feel free to skip this post; I'm not active on the forums and likely to repeat a lot of what has already been posted before.

Frankly I have no idea what Radionomy is going to do, but their entire service smacks of incompetence. Their website has a decent, if basic, aesthetic, but whoever did the coding for their website should be replaced with someone who has a better idea what they're doing. I tried searching for several artists on the site, and quite a few of them return:
"Sorry, an unknown error occured while processing your request."
Which basically means no results were found, which includes popular artists such as John Newman

For artists the site does recognize, it links to additional reading information, but the language seems to be random, PSY, for some reason, links to a French article rather than an English one, and Radiohead's link doesn't display properly within the website..

The fact that they bought Winamp and let it lie fallow bothers me most. Winamp is my favorite music player for PC, and I think we, the users, would have been better off if AOL had released the source-code and made it open source.
I have to say i agree with this. I don't see this company doing anything good in the long run. I guess we are lucky it still works. Kind of sucks that they are just letting it sit there. Just why did they buy it i guess it was to add shoutcast to their service which was crappy.
wxrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 02:46   #12
Canary

Is going OpenSource like VLC an option?
Canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 07:28   #13
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary View Post
That depends on Radionomy... so I personally doubt they would. Even then, there's no guarantee it would continue

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 1/5/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 09:52   #14
Andalando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary View Post
Yeah VLC is really fantastic and this can be used always on any device.
Andalando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 07:56   #15
Tohno_Neil

winamp ≠ best

Where going to my love?
Old 26th February 2016, 16:55   #16
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
winamp ≠ best
best is subjective. Though imo Winamp sucks in regards to video

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 1st March 2016, 15:27   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

At least Winamp can play the most .wmv-files. If a .wmv-file cannot be played by Winamp, then it also cannot be played by IrfanView.

I have a few buggy .wmv-files, made with a buggy update of a video-converter by Hamstersoft, which I uninstalled later. Only Windows Media Player can play them.

The most .wmv-files had been made with Windows Movie Maker, before I used also MAGIX Video Deluxe 17 Premium. And after Winamp had come onto my PC the first time, they got their first plays directly in Winamp, before they came to YouTube...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 15:59   #18
wxrance

So i just got an email from Radionomy today saying will 2016 is here and we got great news. We just release a brand new app. So for 2 years this is what they were working on for 2016. The only reason they bought Winamp was for the Shoutcast radio stations. They are not going to do anything about Winamp. They have a bigger library of radio stations and that's all they care about. Its not a Winamp app.
wxrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:45   #19
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxrance View Post
So i just got an email from Radionomy today saying will 2016 is here and we got great news. We just release a brand new app. So for 2 years this is what they were working on for 2016. The only reason they bought Winamp was for the Shoutcast radio stations. They are not going to do anything about Winamp. They have a bigger library of radio stations and that's all they care about. Its not a Winamp app.
They should then spin off winamp to a separate company. Nullsoft was profitable tmk before AOL shut them down.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 1st March 2016, 17:46   #20
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
before I used also MAGIX Video Deluxe 17 Premium
OMG Magix... that takes me back... Makes me wanna load up my copy of Magix Music Maker 2000 and create some beats haha

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 2nd March 2016, 15:25   #21
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Maybe we will see us in YouTube some day...

The Deluxe Premium Version of MAGIX Video has also a built-in screenrecorder, and after I had put the Milkdrop Visualizer onto the desktop, I had recorded it. But I had to play a song twice to get the recording in the full length. I know, there are also Fraps, Camtasia, Hypercam, but MAGIX can be bought directly in a real store without online-banking.

For Windows 7 this single post is very important:
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=17

My Winamps on my PC & notebook still work. I love the Milkdrop Visualizer of Winamp very much, and I have customized it more and more. Now it is very perfect for enjoying the music. I have added very much skins, presets, textures etc., and the software folder Winamp has 1.36/1.39 GB now...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 16:38   #22
Tohno_Neil

Any news?

Where going to my love?
Old 4th March 2016, 17:02   #23
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
Any news?
yes

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 5th March 2016, 19:06   #24
mellowlandings

Much as it pains me, I'm inclined to agree. Being a long-time Winamp fan, it's heartbreaking to watch a great media player grow stagnant. The overall questionon that being: Why would Radionomy, after fighting as hard as they did to save it from extinction, just let it lay dormant? It's been two years...surely somebdy could have done SOMETHING in that time!

I really think Radionomy bit off more than they could chew with this. If I'm wrong, then somebody prove it.
mellowlandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 19:49   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I'm pretty sure I already explained everything via the links in the first post of the News thread...

We could release a public 5.8 beta right now....
Though there would be no CD Burning, no Gracenote (cddb, autotag, playlist generator, etc) replacement, and no Queuing features
(Q / Alt+click, enhanced J dialog, and all other features provided by JTFE).

We could probably get away with one or two of those things, but I'm not sure about all three.
Sure, there's currently no working Gracenote features in 5.666 either....
But what I don't want is another Winamp3 type situation with tons of "where's this? where's that? you suck!" type of complaints.

This is what HAS been done so far:

1. Replaced Fraunhofer MP3 Decoder with a top quality open source decoder (details to come later).

2. Replaced Fraunhofer AAC decoder with native Windows decoder (Media Foundation)

3. Replaced H.264 & MPEG-4 Part-2 video decoders with native Windows decoders
(we were looking at using OpenH264 but it has limitations and doesn't currently support High Profile)

4. Replaced Sonic CD playback & ripping engine with native Windows API

5. Removed DRM support from Windows Media Decoder (WMA/WMV/ASF)

6. Removed MP3 and HE-AAC encoders from the installer (these will now need to be downloaded separately)
Note: We were planning on also writing a new AAC-LC-only encoder based off Media Foundation...

7. A plethora of new features, bug fixes, updates & optimizations.... and there are many many of these !!!

1-6 makes Winamp legal, and also means that we don't have to pay anyone for licenses/patents/etc (like AOL were doing previously), and we can release it as 100% freeware again (i.e. no more Pro version - the free version will be fully functional)

Note that the Media Foundation decoders are Windows Vista and higher, so there'll be no native support for those formats on WinXP (though it will still install on XP sp3, and relevant plugins/decoders from 5.666 will still work)

So.... current team....as I explained in the News thread.....

From Jan 2014 to Sep 2014 it was just DrO and me.
From Sep 2014-Aug 2015 = nobody. We had to work on SHOUTcast 2.4.x+ instead.
No working SHOUTcast monetization meant no revenue meant no Winamp.
From ~Sep 2015 onwards... no more DrO :-(
DrO removed his JTFE plugin from the code base and distribution.
The team is now made up of me, plus a few other former Winamp coders who already have another full-time job.
We are doing the best we can, the others are doing it in whatever spare time they can find.

As also previously explained, DrO committed a lot of code between Jan-Sep 2014, most of which was awesome, but some of it was unfinished and made v5.8 unstable when switching skins and when dealing with metadata, amongst other issues. So we decided to roll everything back to ~Feb 2014 and started recommitting / cherry-picking code.
We're now almost back to where we were before. There's now no crashes like before, and we have a pretty stable build.... except, unlike how there has been for the past ~13 years, there's now no Queue / JTFE features :-(

Of course, we could've all just stepped aside and let Radionomy take over with new devs who weren't familiar with any of the Winamp code (unlike the rest of us who've got between ~8-16 years experience), and maybe there'd be a new Winamp version out by now. Would it look and be anything at all like the current Winamp that we all know and love, with all the same great features? Who knows? Though my guess would be 'probably not'.

But let's also not forget that without Radionomy, we would not be here right now. So praises be to them!

I'm very sorry that it's taking so long. We're doing the best we can... and we're getting there... slowly but surely.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 20:47   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
great update Egg, and while it may be redundant, posts like these once a month or so are imo, a great idea! you and Benski are the greatest!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 21:06   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg and Benski et al,

i just wanted to point you to EAC, Exact Audio Ripper, for a few ideas:

1. check out how it gets album art. i think it does a targeted websearch, and gives the user a few cool ways to sort the results. the plus of this is you shouldn't need to pay anyone to give users access to album art.

try ripping a CD with EAC v1.1, you'll dig it.

2. check out how it does metadata. its a plugin based system. so, if you want freedb results, you use that plugin. or, if you want cuetoolsDB results, you use that plugin. both DBs are free for you to distribute/access as far as i know. pick the plugin easily on the fly right in the main UI for ripping.

with a plugin system, you could add MB later if you want, and if any one goes down, the user can still use something else.

3. accuraterip. this lack keeps audiophiles from using your software, and you WANT fanatics! it should be pretty easy to implement this.

also:

4. please be careful to make sure, that regardless of what metadata source you use, you allow the user to pick what fields/frames are included or not, so MB and similar don't spam a bunch of nonsense into the tags. thx!

ps. go with 5.7 or 5.9

why? idk, but 5.8 feels weak.

--
Old 6th March 2016, 00:57   #28
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
ps. go with 5.7 or 5.9

why? idk, but 5.8 feels weak.
5.7 already had a beta before the AOL shut down. I think 5.8 is fine, gives enough room for improvements before 6.0 if that ever comes.

Actually with all the changes, it might make more sense to call it 6.0.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 6th March 2016, 01:06   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

i know, i was a beta tester. but i still think 5.8 sounds weak.

--
Old 6th March 2016, 03:15   #30
j.digity

Long time listener, first time caller. I was using Groove music tonight and frankly, it sucked. A lot. It sucked a lot. It was a steaming pile of lama dung and I'm being nice I think.

I've used Winamp since the mid 90's and it will always have a place in my heart as a low footprint always works never crashes media player that stuck to it's roots.

Glad to hear from the dev's. When you come I'll welcome you with open arms. Best media player ever.
j.digity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 13:52   #31
talon1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
We could release a public 5.8 beta right now....
Though there would be no CD Burning, no Gracenote (cddb, autotag, playlist generator, etc) replacement, and no Queuing features
(Q / Alt+click, enhanced J dialog, and all other features provided by JTFE).

We could probably get away with one or two of those things, but I'm not sure about all three.
Winamp CD Burning was nice, but most people already found replacements?
Gracenote is already been gone for a while, so we dont need to wait for that specifically.

Now Queuing is needed for Bars, parties, amateur DJ, just a nice feature overall.(I use mouse3 to queue)
So that for me personally is the highest priority, and then i'll be sure to start using the beta. (just found out there IS a beta)
talon1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 15:38   #32
pbelkner

Quote:
This is what HAS been done so far:
Great news!

What about the announced WASAPI output (Benski doesn't answer to my PM)?
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 16:22   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@MrSinatra
It'll be 5.8, for now....
Not sure if the Gracenote replacement stuff will be in the beta, maybe album art downloader... we shall see...

@talon1212
Yes, agreed. We could've got away with no cd burning and gracenote, but not with no JTFE features on top of all that.
JTFE provided loads of features.... Queuing, Queue Manager, Enhanced/Skinned J dialog, Custom File Type icons, Custom Explorer context menus, Enqueue & Play (from Explorer), Highlight missing files, ML > Send To > Add to queue / show in playlist, Remove duplicate playlist entries, Prevent playlist from scrolling the current item into view, and so much more.
From a dev point of view, it's a nightmare scenario, tbh :-(

@pbelkner
Yes, the new out_wasapi and in_mod are still in (those would come under #7 in my above post).
Sorry to hear that benski didn't reply to your pm. I'll remind him when I get the chance.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 18:57   #34
pbelkner

Quote:
I'll remind him when I get the chance.
It's not necessary to bother Benski. I've decided to stall development of "out_yasapi" anyway.
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 18:58   #35
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Egg and friends: Thanks for not giving up. I truly have a lot of respect for you guys and would like to say it once more. Keep up the good work.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 19:56   #36
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg,

why not make a stripped down JTFE?

it did do a lot, but only a few abilities were core/must have. put in the Q feature and release. then get feedback as to what other specific JTFE abilities you need to add back in next. u don't need to build rome all at once to release the beta imo. (and i really don't think burning matters much)

--
Old 9th March 2016, 18:21   #37
winampfan1

I'm glad you are supporting H.264 and rewriting your own decoder. Are you planning on adding in Unified Streaming support to it? Most streaming is moving off of shoutcast and onto this new platform. Most notably the BBC (example stream for BBC World Service)

It started as a dual licensed h264 webserver module, so h.264 is great. The problem comes in that it streams stuff out as "Live or on-demand video or audio streaming to HLS, HDS, Smooth, progressive and DASH" which I guess some of these would at minimum need to be supported.

If you are having trouble, youtube-dl supports HLS & DASH and some more, and is both open source and more importantly Public Domain. "youtube-dl is released into the public domain by the copyright holders."
winampfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 18:30   #38
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
it did do a lot, but only a few abilities were core/must have.)
And this is fact for the majority of users because you said so?

Without JTFE Winamp lacks:

- a Playlist queue feature
- a skinnable jump to file window
- ability to queue files from the jump to file window
- icon library support (the 2.x based playlist/file icon support in Winamp sucks ass)
- customizable shell options
- highlighting of missing files

for me all of the above things are essential
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 20:46   #39
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post

for me all of the above things are essential
Ditto, and the same for the other stuff it provides!

Old 9th March 2016, 21:50   #40
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
And this is fact for the majority of users because you said so?
Too bad there's no usage statistics on how essential it is to winamp users as a whole. For me personally, in the past I usually de-selected it when installing winamp because I never really used JTF.

Though, most of the reason why I install it now is because "why not", but I doubt I really utilize it.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion