Old 8th May 2016, 19:54   #1
Worez

Support for WavPack tags

I would like to suggest adding the ability to edit tags of WavPack files in Winamp

Or at least putting one extra info WavPack File Info Box: a path to the current .WV file

[Or is this something that depends on a player [.DLL] within Winamp? I Have WavPack Player 2.4 (x86) by Conifer Software]
Worez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 05:37   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

WavPack uses the same ID3 tagging scheme that the mp3 format uses. The Winamp File Info tag viewer/editor should allow you to see and edit tags in wavpack files. Maybe you need the wavpack input plug-in (in_wv.dll v2.8.1) that was distributed with the Winamp Essentials Pack (which is no longer available due to other codecs it contained that the new Winamp owner does not have the license to distribute).

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by attaching the wavpack plug-in below. If this is against the rules a forum moderator will delete it. You should be able to find a safe version on the internet.

in_wv.zip

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 10:56   #3
Worez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
WavPack uses the same ID3 tagging scheme that the mp3 format uses. The Winamp File Info tag viewer/editor should allow you to see and edit tags in wavpack files. Maybe you need the wavpack input plug-in (in_wv.dll v2.8.1) that was distributed with the Winamp Essentials Pack

[...]
This does the trick. Now my WV files look in Winamp like MP3s and FLACs

So are [in theory] all those plugins in Winamp Essential Pack better than what I have right now? I think at some point I did run onto this WEP and implemented plugins from it. But I must had some old version of Essentials or simply didn't replaced existing plugins [and just added the new / missing ones]

Back in the days, what was the official last release of Winamp Essential Pack? And were they some fan / commnity made ones after that?
Old 9th May 2016, 21:06   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm glad that plug-in worked for you. There are very few wavpack users posting on this site. We have to stick together.

The WEP contained items that were not included in the Winamp installation packages. The developers at the time recommended them as enhancements for Winamp. I don't remember what was the last WEP released and I never used all of the WEP components. AOL paid the license fees for some of the components in the WEP. Radionomy is not paying these fees, so it can not legally provide the WEP in countries were the fees are required.

If you decide to look for and download the WEP, be very careful. There are a lot of crooks on the internet.

I can't speak to whether what you have is 'better' or not because I don't know what versions of stuff you have. You could use the Winamp Info Tool (http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/infotool/) to make an extended report of your installation and attach the zip file containing this report to a post. It is a stand-alone app that you just download and run. Due to a false-positive, some AV apps prevent the download and/or running of the Info Tool. If you run into this problem, you could temporarily disable your AV. The Info Tool is safe and recommended by the Winamp developers for providing details about Winamp installations.

Old 12th May 2016, 16:08   #5
Worez

Quote:
[...]
If you decide to look for and download the WEP, be very careful. There are a lot of crooks on the internet.
[...]
That's what I suspected

Quote:
I can't speak to whether what you have is 'better' or not because I don't know what versions of stuff you have. You could use the Winamp Info Tool (http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/infotool/) to make an extended report of your installation
[...]
I generated the extended report and run a search through it, but didn't find for example a "wawpack", "wv", "Conifer" or even "plugin" in it?

In what section of the report should I for list of my plugins?
Old 12th May 2016, 17:29   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

If you used v5.0.3.5030 of the Winamp Info Tool, then attach the zip file containing the report to a post.

If you used v5.1.0.5042, it has some bugs and Koopa will be providing a new update in a few days.

If you made a html version of the report (recommended), then it should display in your browser after you extract it from the zip file and double-click on it. There is an index at the top that lets you select and jump to any section in the report. Depending on what's in your installation, the report could be very long.

Old 12th May 2016, 18:31   #7
Worez

Quote:
[...]
If you used v5.1.0.5042, it has some bugs and Koopa will be providing a new update in a few days.
[...]
Yeah, 5042 here

So I will get bck to this in a couple of days
Old 12th May 2016, 19:51   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

In the meantime, you can use this link (http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.php) to another user's report to see what it looks like.

Old 30th May 2016, 19:17   #9
Worez

There is still this Build 5042 available from download

So I will check for a new one in a couple of days
Old 31st May 2016, 00:31   #10
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just use that Winamp info tool build, except of some minor glitches in html code for winamp backup files listing,it is just working fine.

Only wavpack decoder from EP is compatible with latest Winamp features, I may provide the decoder on my website since Ep is dead.

People shouldnt download any essentiall packs from anywhere, most of them are fake or contain maleware.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:01   #11
Worez

I have successfully used Winamp Info Tool 5.2.0 (Build 5074). But there is way too much personal info it those reports for me to fell comfortable in posting them around the web

The HTML version says I have "WavPack Decoder" in "in_wv.dl" version "2.8.1; because you gave it to me

So once again, what is this for? To see if I have WEP elements in never versions? How are you gonna check that out? You want to compare my list with yours, which will be created on the basis of [your] updated Winamp?
Old 3rd October 2016, 22:10   #12
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worez View Post
But there is way too much personal info it those reports for me
Yeah used Winamp plugins, Windows version and Winamp related config is very personal...

If you don't want to use it fine.

We use it to see config issues, plugin versions and 3rd party plugins
Old 4th October 2016, 16:25   #13
Worez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Yeah used Winamp plugins, Windows version and Winamp related config is very personal...

If you don't want to use it fine.

We use it to see config issues, plugin versions and 3rd party plugins
Country, language, machine name, user name; resolution of screen, refresh rate, name of processor etc.

I am not a security expert, but I know that you can be easily identified by things like that. And I do not like being added to some databases. You never know who is going to use that kind of info and for what. And that's not some Big Brother mumbling- that is the reality

Show me fonts installed on your system and I'll bet there are few persons on the planet, that has the exact same configuration; if any
Old 4th October 2016, 19:02   #14
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

machine name, resolution of screen, refresh rate, name of processor

--> is not part of the info report

All info are related to Winamp and the related config files.

You can even hide your user name in the report and disable the optional dxdiag report.

We also delete attached reports if a user asks for it, once a mod has seen the report.

It is just a slap in the face for people, who waste their freetime with tech support and provide such stuff and people moan.

Quote:
Show me fonts installed on your system and I'll bet there are few persons on the planet, that has the exact same configuration; if any
The fonts are used for the visual appearance of the gui, nobody except of you is seeing it.

and true, many others may share the same config like you, but don't expect that anybody will guess what your config looks like.
Old 4th October 2016, 21:12   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Worez,

For a time, WEP releases (containing safe but unofficial components) were made to match with official Winamp releases. You asked last May if the plug-ins in the last WEP are better than those you already have. Without knowing what you already have, it is impossible to provide a meaningful answer to that question. Some of the WEP components worked with components in an official Winamp release (that matched the WEP release) to improve their performance or add new features that were not in that official release. Over time, some things in the WEP releases were removed and programmed into components in the official Winamp releases. I suggested you post a Winamp Info Report since it is the fastest way to gain the information needed to correctly answer your question.

The report does contain more than what is needed to answer your specific question. This is because the report is a general overall tool used to help diagnose problems some people have when using Winamp. Certain combinations of plug-ins and/or settings (that may have been made on purpose or changed by accident) can have unintended consequences. In a few cases, Winamp relies on components that are part of a default Windows OS installation (which may not be present) that are also reported on.

Since you think the Winamp Info Report may be used by others to identify you for some malicious purpose, you can use the report to answer your question yourself. The html version of the report identifies which plug-ins are officially part of Winamp and which are 3rd party. You can use the web to research each plug-in to determine the latest versions and discover if any bad interactions have been reported. This could take some time depending on your current general and specific knowledge of Winamp and what each plug-in does. However, doing some research on your own will also enable you to ask specific questions (about what you do or do not find) instead of the open ended one you asked.

Old 4th October 2016, 22:06   #16
Worez

Quote:
machine name, resolution of screen, refresh rate, name of processor
--> is not part of the info report
Those are in that TXT file

If it is the HTML file that is needed for evaluation, then I can remove sensitive info from it

Quote:
[...]
It is just a slap in the face for people, who waste their freetime with tech support and provide such stuff and people moan.
Well I'm sorry if I offend you

But being careless on the Internet is not my modus operandi. And checking first what kind of info one is suppose to reveal on-line is a common sense approach in my opinion

Quote:
The fonts are used for the visual appearance of the gui, nobody except of you is seeing it.
[...]
I think that from now on you will stand corrected: http://browserspy.dk

Quote:
[...]
Since you think the Winamp Info Report may be used by others to identify you for some malicious purpose,
...by some future bots gathering info from the Internet in even more sinister and efficient way than they are able to do it now

Quote:
you can use the report to answer your question yourself.
Well, if I had a report of a experienced-up-to-date-Winamp-user, then I could compare report with that one; and see if I have some outdated plugins. Could that aforementioned http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.php serve as a good enough comparison?

Or maybe there is a such a list in form of FAQ somewhere here on this forum?

Or is it having the latest ones not automatically guaranteeing the best performance?
Old 5th October 2016, 16:47   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worez View Post

Well, if I had a report of a experienced-up-to-date-Winamp-user, then I could compare report with that one; and see if I have some outdated plugins. Could that aforementioned http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.php serve as a good enough comparison?

Or maybe there is a such a list in form of FAQ somewhere here on this forum?

Or is it having the latest ones not automatically guaranteeing the best performance?
Unofficial 3rd party plug-ins (like the wavpack decoder plug-in) should only be used to add features that you need that are not supported by the official Winamp components. Comparing someone else's Info Report to yours would only be relevant if that person uses Winamp the same way you do and has the same needs. The report I provided the link to was only offered to provide a general example of what a report looks like and the kind of info it may contain.

I don't know of a guide or list of FAQ on this forum that will provide the general info you seek on the discontinued WEP. The new owners of Winamp will not provide any official information on discontinued products provided before they bought Winamp. This forum is mostly used by Winamp users trying to help other Winamp users. You may be able to find some old info that may or may not be applicable to the current Winamp release.

Winamp and 3rd party plug-in upgrades do include some bug fixes, but sometimes the new components conflict with 1 or more older plug-ins that are being used to address particular needs or they introduce new bugs. So there is no guarantee that using the latest of everything will lead to the best results.

Old 5th October 2016, 17:57   #18
Worez

Quote:
Unofficial 3rd party plug-ins (like the wavpack decoder plug-in) should only be used to add features that you need that are not supported by the official Winamp components. Comparing someone else's Info Report to yours would only be relevant if that person uses Winamp the same way you do and has the same needs.
[...]
So there is no guarantee that using the latest of everything will lead to the best results.
So unless I need something or a new issue arises [like in the case of WavPack] I shouldn't bother and just use what I have

Thank you for the info
Old 21st November 2016, 08:17   #19
rosan663

Free Word Password Recovery

The attached experimental plugin installs as a Winamp 5 System Component. It hooks the Album Art API and shrinks all of the album art down to the same size as the selected album art file, which is currently not selectable and defaults to an internally stored "Winamp" image, which is 150x150 px. The selected album art file also serves as replacement art where none exists for a track.

Theoretically, it should stop the SHOUTcast stream hiccups with Album Art.
Free Word Password Recovery
Word Netword Password Recovery
Office 2007 Password Recovery
rosan663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
.wv, tags, wavpack