Old 12th January 2017, 17:33   #1
BBear

ID3 Tag & FLAC Files: Am I missing something?

Hi guys,

I have successfully used Winamp + Tag&Rename 3.0 + MP3 files for a while now and I thought I understood pretty well how Winamp + MP3s worked...

But recently I started working with FLAC Files and I tried to apply my Metadata process to these FLAC files but I just realized something is not adding up.

Under "Tag & Rename 3.0" I have the choice to edit multiple tags, in different standards (ID3V1 / ID3V2 / WMA / Ogg). The program is straight forward and from that end everything seems normal: I have tags for Artists / Title / Album & Genre

But when I go to Winamp, it is not refreshing/reading these tags. And it is not for every file, but 70% of them. Simply weird.

After some research I even realized it could be ID3V1 & ID3V2 conflicts so I stripped all ID3V1 tags from these files but still Winamp can't seem to pick them up.

I am not sure if I am missing a Winamp setting to "refresh and re-read" tags OR if the issue is with the FLAC files or the program I am using to write these tags.

Could someone shed some light here? Just great I catching this up in the beginning of my new FLAC Library...

Thanks in advance!

BB
BBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 17:51   #2
BBear

Here are some screenshots illustrating what is going on:

ID3V1 stripped from files to avoid reading conflicts:

Clearly tagged files with ID3V2:

Winamp not picking up these tags / not showing information:

Could only find these settings to handle Metadata... Tried different options but no fix:
Old 12th January 2017, 18:27   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Winamp expects flac files to use the Vorbis comments tagging standard. You can use Winamp's tag editor to manually enter metadata tags for this format or a 3rd party tagger like "MP3tag".

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 15:57   #4
BBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Winamp expects flac files to use the Vorbis comments tagging standard. You can use Winamp's tag editor to manually enter metadata tags for this format or a 3rd party tagger like "MP3tag".
Thanks for the reply but this does not help me - to start I won't edit tags manually under Winamp nor get another program.
Old 19th January 2017, 15:58   #5
BBear

For the record I solved the problem: it seems like the Tag&Rename program I was using was too old and somehow creating this conflict. Once updated to the newest release the FLAC tags loaded as expected under Winamp.

BB
Old 19th January 2017, 18:26   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm glad the updated Tag&Rename is working for you. However, it is sometimes necessary to abandon old familiar apps and look for alternatives when they no longer work with other apps you like to use. While it is good practice to use the latest version of all your apps, it is not uncommon for updates in 1 app to create incompatibilities in another.

I've had too abandon apps from time to time. So far, I've been lucky to find alternatives that are as good or better than what I was using.

Good luck in the future.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion