Old 21st June 2020, 03:03   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
New computer guts, need video editor

Most of my last computer lasted 12 years, and the hardware is still mostly capable. Working from home got me impatient with video rendering speeds though. Everything else I do on computers was still pretty good on the old setup though.

The computer is now:

Old stuff still being used:

Cooler Master Stacker 810 case (still from 12 years ago; it lacks USB3 and has too many USB2 for new motherboard)
Corsair TX 750 power supply (original from 12 years ago died but warranty got me a new one before it was 5 years old, still using that one.
Samsung 850 Evo SSD (500GB) for booting and programs

Several mechanical HDDs (1TB, 1.5TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 4TB(hybrid), 8TB)
ASUS DVD/LightScribe burner
Other DVD burner (not sure what brand)
All-in-one card reader

New stuff:
ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (x570 chipset) link

AMD Ryzen 3900x (12 core, 24 thread, 3.8-4.6GHz, included decent cooler) link

G.Skill 64GB DDR4 3600 RAM (2 x 32GB) link

EVGA RTX 2060 video card (6GB GDDR6) link
Powered USB hub (since case will be hidden and I need USB stuff handy) link
Wired remote computer power button (since the tower will be in a hard to access place) link
USB extension cord for the powered USB hub link
Pioneer external Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner/player (w/carry case and software) link

Maybe later I'll post about the retired components because I'd like to get a case and power supply for them to build a secondary computer for them since it's all still pretty good stuff. I now need a good video editor for this system. It is running Windows 10. OpenShot fails to align audio with video too much and all the workarounds/fixes end up failing and wasting massive amounts of time. Adobe is too expensive and you never stop paying since it's subscription based. For now I'm using PowerPoint as a workaround video editor since work paid for it, but using it as a video editor is very time consuming because it's not really meant to be one and you're always doing workarounds to make things work. Anyone have an affordable suggestion for a video editor? Any comments on the new computer? I'm hoping to someday do some Virtual Reality work on it.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2020, 19:00   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

I seldom use my computer for video editing and only for minor stuff (like splitting or combining), never anything major.

Hopefully the reviews on this website (https://www.ghacks.net/?s=video+editing) will help you find what you want.

Serious video editing puts a heavy load on the GPU and CPU components (from what I've read). If you can do so, you may benefit from returning either or both of the new ones you have and getting a more powerful GPU and/or CPU (like the RTX 2080 and Ryzen 9 3950X).

BTW:
I've ordered the Pioneer external Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner/player you listed. How do you like it so far? Do you need to connect to 2 USB ports? I only have USB 2.0 ports. Do you think I should get the AC adapter? Maybe it's time for me to upgrade my equipment.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 21st June 2020 at 20:48.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2020, 08:05   #3
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Ted, you are having the PM.

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2020, 21:21   #4
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

@ OaQM: Thank you. I replied. If you didn't receive the reply, please let me know here and I'll try resending.

@ Aminifu: I would absolutely love the 3950X and RTX 2080 but sadly at my income it's too much of a stretch since I have some other unexpected financial attacks that have been happening recently. I wouldn't have even bought the motherboard I did if there were another lower priced x570 available at the time. There was a global x570 shortage and I didn't want anything other than x570 in an effort to be more "future proof".

As far as video editing goes, I've used Microsoft Photos Video Editor in addition to Power Point for some work, but I'm hoping to do better soon. The current setup with the 3900x and RTX 2060 seems like it's quite sufficient for the job. Previewing/seeking/3D transitions, and filters all seem to be smooth when editing, even at 4K, although I don't really do much in 4K since most of my viewers are in 1080p. Render time is tolerable, especially when I can just do it in the background while working on other tasks. Having a lot of threads in the processor makes it so that you don't notice any slowdown when there's a render in the background, plus, I think it drops the priority a bit to allow what you're working on to stay at top speed. Either way, it's an enormous relief compared to editing video on the older core2quad 2.83 GHz processor that I was using before.

On the subject of the older computer - I only really need a power supply unit and maybe a case to make it work again. And I'll just steal a HDD from the stack in the newer computer. Outside of video editing (and gaming, which I don't really do), it's still perfectly good hardware. I even have an extra Windows 10 Professional product key I can use for it. I'm hoping to put it together in the coming weeks. I could just dangle the components from the ceiling in the garage in front along with an old box fan and use it there. That would be rather entertaining.

Finally, the external Pioneer optical Blu Ray drive seems good, but all I have done with it so far is have my family watch a couple movies. The purchase I made came packaged with a decent carrying case that would fit nicely in a laptop bag and a product key for PowerDVD and the CyberLink Power2Go 8 software including burning apps and some other stuff that I haven't explored yet.

To answer your questions: the player uses one USB port, and I have been using a 3.0 powered USB hub to connect it since I hid the tower behind a giant piece of furniture and I don't have access to the case without moving furniture. If you want, you can get USB 3 via PCIe expansion card for a reasonable price. My old Dell many years ago had only USB 1.1 and I used a PCI to USB 2.0 card to speed up file transfers to a portable hard drive. I loved that cheap upgrade, and what I'm suggesting could buy time on an older machine to go to USB 3 on a 2-only machine.

I don't see how the Pioneer drive could connect to two ports; the wire that comes with it only connects to one. It's white whereas all other components are black. That's odd. The drive has a 5V power input if you need extra power. From what I understand there are faster burners out there but they are either internal for the extra power or are external with supplemental power cords.

I like this drive so far, although I've only had my wife and kid watch Blu-Rays on it so far. There is an Amazon review from user GIVE Reviews that seems pretty helpful although long, and I'll post it here if you're wanting to know more:

I was skeptical in purchasing this product because it was expensive (I purchased it May 17, 2017 for $99), and I had a bad previous experience with an external DVD read/write product with terrible results. Then, I purchased this product and plugged it into my laptop (I used both USB plus; one 2.0 & one 3.0), and it worked like a charm. When it spins up, you have to put the external player on a flat surface. The first time I tried it mine was not on a flat surface and it started to make a vibrating noise. Then I made sure it was on a flat surface and it worked wonderfully. I burned a DVD without a problem; I have not yet tried to burn a BluRay. [update] I have now burned 50 gb BluRay disk and it works flawlessly (read caution for tablets with 1 USB port below).

Pros:
- Works seamlessly with computer
- Spins quietly (no louder than an internal drive) - again, make sure it is on a very flat surface
- Flip top allows easy inserting and ejecting media - I love this
- Very small footprint - it's as small as it can get
- Sleek design - it helps that it looks nice next to the computer (i.e., not an eye-sore)
- Cord is long enough to reach to the computer's USB ports
Cons:
- It does take two USB slots - one 2.0 & one 3.0 slot (it needs the 2.0 for more power, but I think it is possible to run off of just the 3.0 slot)
- Surface Pro 3 does need a powered USB hub to supply power to the unit. If I use a non-powered USB hub, it has issues recognizing the drive. Surface Pro 3 only has one USB port. You might need to use a powered USB hub if you plug it into a tablet with one USB port.

I am so happy with this purchase. I have been looking a long time for an external CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player. I purchased this at $99. I got it when the getting was good because I now see the price went up. It is a lot of money for an external writer; however, if you decide to buy it, all I can say is that you will NOT be disappointed in its performance. It was definitely worth the money I paid. I highly recommend this product!

IMPORTANT IF YOU USE WITH Surface Pro 3 [10/29/2017 update]

-THE PROBLEM: I bought this to eventually use it for an external CD/DVD/Blu-Ray to be used with my Surface Pro 3 (Win10 pro). I already used it with my laptop with no issues, but the Surface Pro 3 only has one USB slot and this requires two slots. I have read other reviews that this player can function with one USB cable plugged in and the only downside is that there will be some performance issues (i.e., two USB cables provide more power thus gives better performance). I can say with certainty that this is NOT the case. I plugged the one USB cable into my SP3 and the drive connected and disconnected multiple times within seconds to then finally be disconnected (i.e., unrecognizable by the OS). Furthermore, it rendered my SP3 unable to recognize the player when plugging it in "the right way" (see THE SOLUTION). This is important because I forgot to take a restore point thereby making my only alternative was to reset my Surface Pro 3 to factory defaults, which fixed the problem - but not good that I needed to do that to fix the problem. I also tried plugging in a unpowered USB hub so that I could plug in both USB cables into the hub and then plug the hub into my SP3. That also did not work - meaning the Surface Pro 3 did not have enough USB power from the one port to power both cable connections - also not good (this was done with my Surface Pro 3 plugged in).

-THE SOLUTION: Here is what works for me when using this player with the Surface Pro 3. I purchased a powered USB hub (listed below). I now plug this player into the powered hub, turn on the power to the hub thereby powering the player, THEN plug the hub into the Surface Pro 3. Works every time. I can hot swap the powered USB hub or anything plugged into the hub using this configuration as long as the Hub has power. In other words, the power to the USB hub is acting like a power plug to this drive.

Below is the Amazon product and link that I used to power the Pioneer Portable Drive. Make sure to power the USB hub on FIRST before either connecting the Drive to the Hub or the Hub to the computer (i.e., DO NOT connect the drive to the computer before powering the Hub).

Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra-Slim Portable Data Hub with 12W Power Adapter for Macbook, Mac Pro / mini, iMac, XPS, Surface Pro, Notebook PCs and More $16.99 (as of 3/7/18)

Lastly, I don't know if this issue exists with other devices that only have one USB port, but I would image it would be a possibility. At a minimum, if you power Pioneer BDR-XD05B 6x Slim Portable drive with a powered USB hub, you should not have any issues, and you should be assured to gain the maximum performance from this drive. Always make sure the Hub is powered before connecting the drive to the Hub or the Hub to the computer, and you should not have any issues.

Now, if you ask me if all this is worth it? Oh yea. I am now burning 45 gb backups from my SSD drive. The Blu-Ray drive functions like a charm. I have burned 4 Blu-Ray disks with no issues. TIP: I zip all my files up using 7zip with no compression (takes about 10 min) and then burn one 45 gb file to the Blu-Ray disk. It takes about 1.5 - 2 hours hours to burn 45 gb. Not bad for 45 gb (that's the equivalent of burning 10 DVDs). SIDENOTE: a 50 gb double layer only gives you 45.1 gb of usable disk space.

Old 1st July 2020, 07:08   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi swingdjted,

Thank you for the info on the Pioneer Blu Ray drives. In my rush to learn more about the drive, I downloaded the manual and it described coming with a special cable that allows connecting the drive to 1 or 2 USB ports. The review you posted seems to be talking about a drive with that cable.

I ordered a BDR-XD05B drive (the same as described in your link) but got a BDR-XD07B. It came early last week with the normal cable for connecting to 1 USB port. I have not tried burning anything yet, but it works fine playing CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays connected via my 2.0 USB port, so I don't think I will need an external power supply. Even so, 2 days ago, I ordered a Rosewill RC-508 PCI-E X1 express card with 4 USB 3.0 ports from Newegg. It was on sale for $11.00. I would post a link but it is now sold out. This should let the burning run faster (when I get around to that). Also writes to a 2TB external harddrive I have will finish sooner. I use the external harddrive to store music, movies and tv shows. Playback is fine connected to a 2.0 USB port, but writing to the drive takes longer than it would via a 3.0 USB port.

I totally understand trying to get the best computer equipment you can when funds are limited. I console myself with the knowledge that no matter what I buy now, 8 to 10 months later something better will be available for around the same or less money. In the long run, I can't win, so it's best to stick to a reasonable budget.

Old 1st July 2020, 22:02   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

There are so many ways to make a seemingly old, slow computer much faster without replacing it if you're not using software/games that are on dependent on the whole machine for high-spec hardware.

A simple USB upgrade like what you are doing does wonders for very little money. I remember when I did the 1.1 to 2.0 job and how much difference it made, and I imagine it's as noticeable from 2 to 3 now, although since I just recently made that upgrade with the recent regutting of the computer, I haven't done any large file transfers over USB 3 yet. In other words I'm just as new to USB 3 on this box as you.

Another big upgrade for an affordable price that I do for people is just a SSD with a fresh operating system install, even if it's just the same OS as before. SSDs are sooooo much faster than spinning hard drives so long as there's SATA connectivity. That also allows the older HDD to be used for mass storage. The fresh install of the operating system usually removes any bloat and other garbage that has accumulated over the years, especially for people that aren't aware of just how much stuff accumulates and taxes the hardware.

Back in the day, it was RAM. The low-RAM machines were always using the HDD as virtual RAM, making it far slower than it would be with an extra pair of sticks, and a cheap RAM upgrade would speed things up.

When these kinds of things failed, it was usually the issue with the processor, which usually meant a whole new machine since sockets changed too often.

Or, you could just have the person learn the very basics of Linux, since there are very light and hardware friendly versions out there that are reasonably easy to learn, such as "lubuntu" which I sometimes play with on ancient boxes.

Now it seems that most programs (or I guess I have to call them "apps" now) can run on dozen-year-old machines without issue and if not, just a small upgrade like those mentioned above. There's a lot of Core2Duo and older boxes out there still doing video chat, Office, web browsing, media playback, and other business/work applications out there and with the right upkeep, they're fine. I only felt the need to upgrade due to the video editing issues I was having. It's also nice to have a fresh, fast box now that I am working at home. Fewer hardware concerns mean better uninterrupted focus on work.

Old 1st July 2020, 22:49   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

I agree with everything in the above post. I got a SSD a couple years ago. It's the only thing in my system that's less than 10 years old. The SSD is so much faster than the harddrive it replaced, even connected to a SATA 2.0 port.

I'm 69 and I remember in my thirties and forties replacing stuff every year or 2. Thank God that is no longer necessary for acceptable performance with every app I currently use. I still call them programs too.

So yeah, I expect the USB upgrade to give my system at least 5 more years of life.

Old 2nd July 2020, 17:54   #8
old and quite mad
Major Dude

en route

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions