Old 4th July 2005, 14:27   #121
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

I think it would be a good idea not to include a "InstallShield" skin at all.
Old 5th July 2005, 02:59   #122
dandaman32

Love the graphics, ZmAn3. Could you post PSD or PNG? (to allow for transparency)

Quote:
"Did you contact the company behind InstallShield to make sure that what you are doing is legal? I think it is likely that this design is copyrighted." -Joost Verburg
Does InstallShield have a left info panel?
Does InstallShield have a skin platform that changes the skin with one line of code?
Does InstallShield have a 100KB overhead?

Of course, the answer to all of those is no. The ExperienceUI was created to make NSIS look similar InstallShield, not to duplicate it. Besides, who would want NSIS to look exactly like InstallShield anyway? NSIS coupled with the ExperienceUI is provided as an alternative to InstallShield.

Here is one example:
KDE (the K Desktop Environment; free; http://www.kde.org) is a graphical environvent for Linux, just like Windows 95 is a graphical interface for DOS. KDE has a "widget style" called Redmond. The skin looks exactly like the Windows 95/98/ME/2000 visual style. Have the rascals of Redmond taken any legal action against the KDE project? Obviously not. And Microsoft almost certainly knows about KDE.

Quote:
"should place some screenshots on that website too" -yathosho
Still working on it. Have been on vacation for the last week or two, so I have not worked on the ExperienceUI a lot. Also busy writing stuff for Aha-Soft

-dandaman32
Old 5th July 2005, 12:33   #123
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

Quote:
Originally posted by dandaman32
[B]Does InstallShield have a left info panel?
Does InstallShield have a skin platform that changes the skin with one line of code?
Does InstallShield have a 100KB overhead?
It is not relevant whether it provides additional features or has technical differences. "Features" are not copyrighted, but graphics are. Whenever you're using any graphics designed by InstallShield, it is probably not legal.

That's why I think it's better to include only custom designed skins.
Old 5th July 2005, 13:31   #124
saivert
Banned

Splash gfx

I created a nice splash graphic based on one of the images made by ZmAn3:
Old 5th July 2005, 13:32   #125
saivert
Banned

Disregard Previous post

Sorry. Had to quote the filename when uploading. Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nsis-splash-orange.jpg (8.1 KB, 556 views)
Old 5th July 2005, 16:29   #126
dandaman32

The next release will replace the old graphics with ZmAn3's new ones. The Left Branding image is the only one that I am concerned about, because the other two images (header/bottom) are my own.

ZmAn3, if you wish you can send me a pm with your full name in it, otherwise just your screen name will be in the acknowledgments section. I still need your images in a PNG (Portable Network Graphics), TGA (Targa) or PSD (Photoshop) format in order to use them in a skin other than "Windows XP", as it looks like I will be unable to apply the transparency myself.

-dandaman32
Old 5th July 2005, 19:19   #127
dandaman32

Patching system update available:

http://www.freewebtown.com/dandaman3...atchUpdate.exe

This update will be included in version 1.08.

Also: New update wizard (attached) - Required in order to update to ExperienceUI 1.08 automatically

-dandaman32
Attached Files
File Type: zip updater.zip (57.4 KB, 257 views)
Old 5th July 2005, 19:40   #128
ZmAn3

screen name is fine.
here you go

www.emeraldcpu.com/nsisgfx/nsisgfx.zip
Old 5th July 2005, 19:51   #129
ZmAn3

Heres a couple MUI header images based on those if anyone wants them.

Old 9th July 2005, 19:43   #130
dandaman32

Love those pix, thanks ZmAn3!

-dandaman32
Old 11th July 2005, 05:41   #131
saivert
Banned

What about making a NSIS for MSI platform. You code using NSIS language but end up with a fully-featured Windows Installer after compilation. Would only require rewriting the NSIS compiler to be a processor for NSIS in order to build the MSI database. And then create stub exe/dll files for the functionality in NSIS that is NOT present in Windows Installer service.
Old 11th July 2005, 12:15   #132
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

It would of cource be a great feature to allow users to choose between the NSIS VM and NSIS-based MSI engine.

It is however not a simple thing, so unless someone wants to help the NSIS developers to add such a feature, I think other things (64-bit and Unicode support etc.) have priority.
Old 11th July 2005, 23:13   #133
dandaman32

Unhappy NSIS and MSI don't mix

Quote:
originally posted by saivert
What about making a NSIS for MSI platform.
NSIS was made to combat the slow Windows Installer platform, not to embrace it! Why should NSIS use the MSI system when its own VM platform it faster and smaller? Also MSI is Windoze only (duh) while the NSIS VM can be easily ported to Linux.

Quote:
originally posted by Joost Verburg
I think other things (64-bit and Unicode support etc.) have priority.
64-bit support would definitely be a good feature. I have not yet moved up to 64 bit, but many have.

Of course dual core CPUs have just hit the market big time, and a lot of gamers/speed lovers have already adopted it. By the time Longhorn hits the shelves, all mid-grade PCs will have at least 2 cores, so eventually dual core will be a must.

Still another nice feature would be Linux ports and such, as Linux (read: Linspire) is spreading like Firefox did.

-dandaman32
Old 12th July 2005, 04:44   #134
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

About the systray bug: I have windows millenium edition and I have seen this problem with coolplayer coolplayer.sourceforge.net when it crashes and it disappears if you hover your mouse over it.
Old 16th July 2005, 20:05   #135
saivert
Banned

@dandaman32:
Okay. I drop the thoughts about NSIS and MSI then!!!
But: Microsoft only stamps Windows XP Logo on software which is distributed using the Windows Installer system. So I guess logo certification isn't such a big deal for NSIS users??

How would you utilize dual processing power in NSIS? Put the workload of decompressing the files on one core and the installer logic on the other? Will it make installation that much faster?

@JasonFriday13:
When an spplication crashes the Taskbar isn't notified about it and thus can't remove any icons. When you interact with the taskbar notification icon for a no longer exisitin application the taskbar will know the application no longer exist as the window handle of the application is no longer valid.
Old 17th July 2005, 00:29   #136
onad

Lightbulb

If you need to adhere to some strange corporate standards and use MSI, there is a what to do and still sneakly use NSIS:

1) Create a minimal MSI script, brrr...

2)Create an MSI extention
http://codeproject.com/tips/msicustomaction.asp

3)
Wrap your finised NSIS .EXE in a resource in the DLL
Extract the resuorcedata and run NSIS, in the end delete te temp file and close MSI, done...

Boss happy since you use MSI, you happy since you still use NSIS

There are as always more ways, but this is a start for the persistent ones,.

Better to convince your boss, if you have one, MSI is not always handy...

"Just do it"
Old 17th July 2005, 14:00   #137
saivert
Banned

Sounds nice. I think I want to make such a MSI wrapper...
Old 18th July 2005, 00:23   #138
onad

Ha saivert, you are realy a Major Dude, let's see who is first with the MSI crap I have to make my DLL in Delphi since I'm not a C guy anymore since my Amiga time.

"Just do it"
Old 18th July 2005, 04:57   #139
Dead_Overlord

Broken Links

The download links in http://experienceui.95mb.com/contact.htm is all broken!

Help me download this nice UI, OK?

Old 18th July 2005, 23:52   #140
saivert
Banned

MSI crap Compo

So we have a competition going? I did not expect that. OKay. Sounds fun.... I have MS VIsual Studio .NET 2003 with latest Platform SDK installed, so I consider this a head start. I have already downloaded the sample from CodeProject and compiled it successfully. All I need now is a way to get the binary data from the installer database, then write it out.

Is all parts of the MSI database compressed ?? I see some MSI installers just use CAB archive and someone made using "InstallShield for Windows Installer" can't be extracted at all using a standard CAB extractor.
Old 19th July 2005, 15:25   #141
Dead_Overlord

Please Help-me

Hi!

Firt all the links in the page http://experienceui.95mb.com/ are broken and is unable to download ExperienceUI.

I have found a webpage (http://guerin45.free.fr/UltraModernUI/), this is the page of an UI named UltraModernUI, this UI is based on ExperienceUI, this page has working links and i have downloaded it, it have a lot of bugs, but is realy great!

What is the problem here... Where is the location to download the most recent release of this nice look UI?

Thanks to all developers, this is a great project!

Thanks to all NSIS Fans!

Old 19th July 2005, 18:47   #142
DrO

http://www.freewebtown.com/dandaman3...1.07/Setup.exe is the direct link to 1.07 and the site works fine here. looks like you connection or something may be a bit flakey

-daz
Old 19th July 2005, 19:08   #143
Superpat

Hello,

I am the developper of UltraModernUI, I have just release a new plugin for NSIS named skinned button which allows to skin the buttons. It's based on the wansis plgin of saivert

You will find on this French forum a topic relating to it with some screenshots.

The topic:
http://www.winampfr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9312

The plugin:
http://guerin45.free.fr/UltraModernU...dButton1.0.exe

Old 20th July 2005, 15:29   #144
saivert
Banned

Great! Finally my wansis plug-in comes to use elsewhere as well. Just use the source code all you want, but give credit where credit is due (and YES I see you did that).

Hopefully, this experienceUI thing will get popular soon. At least within certain corporations who think full-screen installers are golden.
Old 20th July 2005, 16:58   #145
rsegal

Quote:
Originally posted by onad
If you need to adhere to some strange corporate standards and use MSI, there is a what to do and still sneakly use NSIS:

1) Create a minimal MSI script, brrr...

2)Create an MSI extention
http://codeproject.com/tips/msicustomaction.asp

3)
Wrap your finised NSIS .EXE in a resource in the DLL
Extract the resuorcedata and run NSIS, in the end delete te temp file and close MSI, done...

Boss happy since you use MSI, you happy since you still use NSIS

There are as always more ways, but this is a start for the persistent ones,.

Better to convince your boss, if you have one, MSI is not always handy...
As well what you could do here is create your NSIS installer then create a MSI package containing that NSIS installer using WiX http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix/
Old 20th July 2005, 22:46   #146
saivert
Banned

Nice! I will try both WiX and the CustomAction DLL. And love to test the SkinnedButtons plug-in. Thank you so much!
Old 20th July 2005, 22:55   #147
ZmAn3

super pats installer is not full screen i belive
plus you can change to his UI with one line of code which is nice.

DRO where is your skin plugin ??
Old 20th July 2005, 23:00   #148
DrO

i've given up on the project and there's no point in finding the code when wansis has virtually the same effect as my initials builds did. also my efforts have to go elsewhere (since i don't have all the freetime like the young people/students around)

-daz
Old 20th July 2005, 23:06   #149
saivert
Banned

@DrO: Hi DrO!! So you did work on a skinning plug-in for NSIS?? What plans did you have for yours?

-nxs
Old 21st July 2005, 22:19   #150
ddod

Old 25th July 2005, 20:42   #151
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

The UltraModernUI (http://guerin45.free.fr/UltraModernUI/) concept looks promising. Maybe you guys can work together on this project instead of creating similar things separately.

One thing I really like about the UltraModernUI is that it keeps the original MUI settings. I've learned from user feedback that compatibility is a very important thing (people using the NSIS 2 betas really didn't like the fact that they had to update scripts when the MUI setting system was still under development).

Now we have the standard of MUI settings, I think it would be a very good thing to keep these as a core for even more fancy UIs and add new ones whenever required (like the UMUI settings of the UltraModernUI).

I would also recommend the authors of ExperienceUI and UltraModernUI to work together on a set of custom designed skins. Using copyrighted artwork like those of InstallShield will be a problem when the NSIS developers may decide to include a UI in the NSIS package and could also get your end-users into trouble.
Old 25th July 2005, 23:41   #152
SuperPat

Hello,

I am the developper of UltraModern UI.

I decided to launch the UltraModernUI project mainly because ExperienceUI did not take again the original macros and defines and because I think that it is easier to take again an already functional architecture rather than to rewrite all.
And also because I had had this idea, few years ago, and that at that time, my knowledge in NSIS was insufficient.

In this connection, I search somebody who could make an another skin near the installshield but different. Skins which we could share between our two projects.

Old 26th July 2005, 00:00   #153
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

It is indeed a very good idea to keep using the same setting standards, that is in my opinion the most important thing when creating a new UI.

Maybe you can contact the author of ExperienceUI to see whether you can work on a single UI toghether. You are both doing something nearly identical so merging the projects would save a lot of time and effort.
Old 26th July 2005, 04:13   #154
saivert
Banned

Yes, but ExperienceUI does not follow the same macro system that ModernUI uses. So UltraModern UI author should convince ExperienceUI author to rewrite ExperienceUI to use same macro as ModernUI. Everybody should follow the macro system that our almighty Joost Verburg designed. Do it and do it now!!
Old 15th August 2005, 23:02   #155
dandaman32

ExperienceUI 1.08 is ready...[edit] and macro system is still the same.

Will rewrite macros/defines for 1.09 or 1.1, depending if I skip 1.09 or not, see below.

I am considering skipping 1.09 or making it a non-public beta of 1.1. If I do make 1.09 a non-public beta, e-mail me, I will accept first four testers. When the first four testers have been accepted, I will announce on this thread.

Anyway, grab 1.08 here:
http://experienceui.95mb.com/downloads.htm

-dandaman32

Last edited by dandaman32; 16th August 2005 at 01:48.
Old 16th August 2005, 01:11   #156
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

Yes, I agree. I have used the modern UI for my interface (InstallSpider UI for NSIS) and slightly changed the internal workings so that my UI operates with different bitmaps. I didn't need the header bitmap or the wizard bitmap, this has been replaced as branding image. The interface also looks different.
Old 16th August 2005, 01:20   #157
DrO

heh, first time i've looked at this for a while and just noticed you seem to be using my helpbutton plugin and despite the debate over the ui previously in this thread the overall working of the installer is pretty slick as things go i think (i'm pretty amazed in that it's all done by nsis and that's even from looking at the nsis and code for this one )

-daz
Old 26th August 2005, 01:02   #158
dandaman32

Website change:
http://xpui.sourceforge.net (seriously!) since 95mb sucks anyway...

Site features development roadmap now, and 1.09 will not exist, 1.1 milestone 1 will be a nonpublic alpha.

-dandaman32

ExperienceUI for NSIS | Latest project: Enano CMS
Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.
Old 26th August 2005, 02:30   #159
dandaman32

just a teaser here...

Here's a demo setup with running the (for now) unreleased Bryce M1 with wansis. This shows the ExperienceUI's ability to remove all of its internal skinning support to allow 3rd-party skinning plugins. The script I used is included, just for those of you that get to test Bryce M1.

Speaking of which, the first four e-mails I get requesting permission to beta-test will get an activation key and an encryption key to unlock the new ExperienceUI alpha.

This little puppy uses WAnsis and ZmAn3's Forum theme. I also did some of my own images for the bottom panels and such.

Sorry I couldn't attach this in a ZIP, only 7z compressed it <100KB, so you'll need 7-zip.

Hope this sample keeps y'all busy!
-dandaman32
Attached Files
File Type: 7z wansis.7z (93.5 KB, 214 views)
Old 28th August 2005, 01:33   #160
dandaman32

Codename "Bryce" M1 is available! Because 1.1M1 is non-public, you will need to e-mail me. The first four people I get emails from will receive activation keys, so anyone can help test the ExperienceUI version 1.1.

Please note that if you don't get a reply in 3 days, you're out. I will post to the forum here as soon as the fourth tester is enlisted.

The WAnsis teaser installer I posted yesterday is included with this distro, and it has several updates. Also there is some primitive documentation, to get you started. If you are not too experienced with the XPUI, I recommend that you back up the text.htm file before installing this.

Once you have received a confirmation e-mail, you may use this link to download M1.

For security (which I normally stink at) the installer will require an activation key and a decryption key. The activation key is time sensitive (it works for 2 days) and the encryption key (made with DcryptDll) is used to unlock XPUI.nsh and MUIConvert.nsh.

-Dan
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion