Old 23rd April 2006, 14:25   #1
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

libvp62 - taking vp62 open

hello,

You may have wondered, "how do I get the good quality at low bitrates that vp6 has, on other platforms?" Well, someone has reverse engineered it, and posted the code, and got it taken down via DMCA notice, and ON2 claimed the code was stolen, but now their lawyers are saying it wasn't actually stolen and are trying to misuse the DMCA...

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108936&page=3

Choice pages: 6 on, where rarewares hosts the file and gets a lawyery note, and people try to decypher it, and how on2 is wrong.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108936&page=6

Oh, I love it! Hopefully the holes found will be great enough that on2 doesn't have a leg to stand on, but only time will tell. I'm hoping dearly for vp6.2 for mac. Dearly.

edit: Looks like I'm not going to get my wish.

edit again: looks like it was reverse engineered java applets without any clickwrap "agreements" so it's technically a legal RE

Originally posted by yeshuawatso :
...get Nullsoft to [accept] new moderators? ... election? ... If Inedible Bulk is the candidate, then I give my vote.

Last edited by Inedible Bulk; 23rd April 2006 at 14:42.
Inedible Bulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 09:11   #2
Daijoubu

MPC now decode VP62
Doesn't demux NSV though, but FLV is working nicely

I think ffdshow and even ffmpeg are adding support for it
Daijoubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 10:08   #3
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

I read about that Daijoubu, but it only works on windows, I want vp6 on mac

I like this quote and hope sankt reads it , it's re on2 repeating that they open sourced vp3 so they're not that bad:

Quote:
they have been spending that credit big time the moment they started calling lawyers on to people instead of doing the right thing. to keep repeatedly bemoaning this 1 thing they did as if that makes them some kind of saint to OSS and should therefore not be required to provide any evidence is rubbish. releasing VP3 source code did nothing for OSS because not only had it stopped making money it was easily surpassed in quality.

...get Nullsoft to [accept] new moderators? ... election? ... If Inedible Bulk is the candidate, then I give my vote.
Old 28th April 2006, 23:12   #4
Daijoubu

Well, you can always use mplayer and the win32 vfw dll
Works fine under linux
Old 29th April 2006, 06:54   #5
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Daijoubu
Well, you can always use mplayer and the win32 vfw dll
Works fine under linux
I will pay you back for the macintosh you purchase (as long as it is not a new intel machintosh or an intel mac of any sort) if you are able to use an x86 compiled binary on a ppc based machine. You may think you can skirt around this by installing linux on the mac, which is possible, but then again this is still linux compiled for PPC not X86 and the fact that the DLL exists in no PPC form, you're still not going to be able to run it.

And running a virtual x86 processor in QEMU (although it won't play vp6 videos at more than 1f/m) or VirtualPC is cheating.

(this was mentioned once in the infamously retarded MovieCodec forums, and they're still not comprehending it)

Old 29th April 2006, 10:17   #6
Daijoubu

Forgot about the arch being different
You can perhaps try the java player?
It should be still somewhere on the net

Until someone finish adding it to ffmpeg
Old 29th April 2006, 13:52   #7
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Forgot about the arch being different
You can perhaps try the java player?
It should be still somewhere on the net

Until someone finish adding it to ffmpeg
They're probably not going to add it to ffmpeg before they're sure they won't get sued by on2. Just because someone hacked their java and relesed the source for decoding flash video not nsv as you so sillily say when you reccomend me use their java player doesn't mean that on2's not going to come out flailing about the thing first.

Old 29th April 2006, 14:48   #8
slavas
Major Dude

edit: i should read more carefully or forum should allow deleteposts while nobody've replied
slavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 10:19   #9
Daijoubu

Inedible Bulk: You only said "I want vp6 on mac", you didn't state under which container
But yeah I know, this is the NSV forum blablabla...

Last time I checked, they wanted to re-use code from the vp3 decoder
Now I wonder what's going on the devel mailing list after On2 said thier position on the matter

Btw, I'm just trying to be helpful, what's with this negative attitude toward me since the last 2 posts? You're almost calling me names, why do you seem so pissed off?
And everyone make mistakes

What I don't get is that winamp only runs on windows, why are you complaining here with your mac in the first place?

How about YOU use all the openly-avalaible code and make a patch to mplayer?
It can already demux nsv streams (can't yet seek though) and decode the audio fine (AAC, HE-AAC [add format 0x50434141 under AAC in codecs.conf], MP3)

Anyway...
Old 30th April 2006, 11:25   #10
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Daijoubu: I'm not the only one who wants VP6 on mac, and I'm not planning on making a patch to mplayer for vp6 when the guy who wrote the original 'vp6 decoding source code' is currently liable to be sued, and the person hosting it is already receiving threats of such nature. I'm not a fan of lawsuits!

If x264 in NSV gets off the ground (and gets in the default winamp package), then there will be no worries about this, because x264 IS open source and is supposedly better than vp6. In our local x264 thread, crazies compare megabit quality streams of vp6 and x264 against each other, which have no bearing on reality as the highest quality vp6 station I've seen is 500kbps (and most are less than that). If x264 proves to be of similar or better quality at low bitrates (which is what vp6 excels at), then it is a moot point.

I have a negative attitude because I am being told inaccurate solutions, such as a flash video decoder in java (which is very quaint for the situation, considering we're in an nsv forum), or use a binary file compiled for x86 (this is mentioned in other threads, one i will link again), or even wait for a patch that may never come due to the chance the code really was stolen from on2, and thus cannot be used.

Either way, it is starting to look bleak, and thus I'm a bit sad about the false hope I had.

Old 30th April 2006, 16:59   #11
Daijoubu

Well if it's just your own personal use, I don't see why not
And, do you live in the US?

Personally, I tried x264 at lower bitrate and it was rather nice but that codec is too cuting edge and bogus...
Old 1st May 2006, 03:34   #12
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Well if it's just your own personal use, I don't see why not
And, do you live in the US?

Personally, I tried x264 at lower bitrate and it was rather nice but that codec is too cuting edge and bogus...
what lower bitrate and why is it 'bogus'? if it works better and is free and isn't insanely difficult to install (this is the most important i believe) at the same or similar bitrates, i would suggest everyone switch to it (or half and half it with vp6, the x264 one having an audio based intro file mentioning IF YOU CANT SEE VIDEO VISIT WWW.INTERNETSITE.COM/x264 AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OTHERWISE ENJOY THE KWALITY

Old 2nd May 2006, 06:11   #13
Daijoubu

I mean, it's like always CVS/daily snapshot, too wip
Is there a "stable" branch? I don't like the idea of encoding bunch of videos to find out sometime after that the old code had flaws and now videos encode 200% (well ok, I'm exagerating ) better
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video