Old 20th March 2014, 00:48   #1
sankt

Mate Desktop

Anyone using Mate Deskop for Unix and Unix like operating systems ?

Your thoughts or comments on how well it's coming along to reaching the old Gnome 2.xx look and feel.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 21:47   #2
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

nah, I prefer xfce. Most systems I use are old

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 21:51   #3
sankt

Mate Desktop is actually very easy on system resource use. A whole lot better than Gnome 3 or god forbid Kde.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 20th April 2014, 04:16   #4
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Wow unix talking

+1 xfce4

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 04:24   #5
sankt

I gave up on Windows many moons ago and have not looked back. The annoyance of malware alone is enough to drive you to drink

The only negative thing I have to say about pure unix - is the folks over on the OpenBsd side need to loosen up. Too many idiots seething from self righteousness. However, that being said - they do have a lot more driver support than FreeBsd.

The one bad thing about Linux is the community is fractured between Debian and Redhat. The only standard is the kernel - after that - its a free for all.

Old 20th April 2014, 04:29   #6
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankt View Post
I gave up on Windows many moons ago and have not looked back. The annoyance of malware alone is enough to drive you to drink

The only negative thing I have to say about pure unix - is the folks over on the OpenBsd side need to loosen up. Too many idiots seething from self righteousness. However, that being said - they do have a lot more driver support than FreeBsd.

The one bad thing about Linux is the community is fractured between Debian and Redhat. The only standard is the kernel - after that - its a free for all.
I see some slackware people there and Linux Mint growing...
you should try ArchLinux some day

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:19   #7
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

MATE is basically GNOME2, so it gets points in my book. When I ran CentOS and Mint for a while, I used MATE.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 07:16   #8
Satuim

I use Windows mostly. But I did use some older Ubuntu installations. It was very simple!

MATE gets instant from me as it is very simple, very customisable and very stable!
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 16:03   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I prefer XFCE these days. Switched around the time of GNOME 3 and have kept using it since.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 20:19   #10
sankt

Im from the old Gnome 2 school, it was easy - simple and clutter free.

Gnome 3 is unacceptable to me, it reminds me a lot of KDE. To much extra crap to deal with.

Mate is progressing very nicely with a good support for most Linux distributions.

I really wish they would keep the BSD packages of Mate relatively current.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions