rockouthippie
Banned

Tacos, an inflatable air mattress and tickets to Florida.. That'd about do it
Old 1st May 2012, 04:52   #3402
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I have a queen-sized mattress similar to yours that I bought last June. I have had to patch it two different occasions (a couple tiny slow-leak pinholes each time, patches are included, used Goop instead of their glue), but otherwise the mattress has been ok. It has been used probably 40-50 nights. I bought it so I could pack my regular bed for moving without paying for a hotel room, but then used it all summer in a tent, and again a few times during this school year when having company. If you sleep more than one person on it, you have to really love that person though; you'll fall into each other since there aren't any individual springs to prevent that. If you and the other person are "spooners", you'll be fine. Air naturally slowly leaks out of rubber, but not enough to cause a problem in a single night; you'll have to re-pressurize each night before you go to bed. Overall, I found it to be a pretty good investment. Every night slept on it is a lot of money saved that would have been spent on a hotel room. 10 nights = around $1,000.00 saved!

Last bought, among other things, sour cream & onion flavored Pringles. I haven't had that stuff in years, so I got some. Good stuff.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:05   #3403
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a Coleman brand one that's been bashed around pretty good, but it's never leaked. They are a little sturdier than average. I had one Daisy ate when she was a puppy, then I bought another brand which sucked. Then I bought another Coleman.
Old 1st May 2012, 16:49   #3404
firstworknow

Last week, I bought a laptop. The type is Sony. I very like when using.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:37   #3405
rockouthippie
Banned

15 lbs bentonite clay. I've been having a good case of old man guts, and a tablespoon (yuck...tastes like pottery slip) of Bentonite with 8 oz water creates a negative charge and draws impurities out of your digestive tract and blood stream. A little caution is advised because it also takes nutrients out of your body, but you take a multivitamin (not within 2 hours of taking Bentonite) and don't use it for more than 3 or 4 days at a whack.

It's also good for cosmetic mask. Zap zits and itchy spots.

Recommended by Gandhi. No kidding.

I haven't done any Bentonite in about a year, but it always fixes me up if I'm feeling a little toxic.
Old 12th May 2012, 17:57   #3406
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^never tried bentonite, but I have used pink noise in college when trying to sleep among noisy people around me. Works like a charm.

Coleman makes reasonably good outfitter stuff. A good amount of my summer camping gear is from them; and a lot of it is older than me. Included are a couple sleeping bags, a very large tent, a pair of "Coleman fuel" lanterns, battery lantern, mess and cook kits, a 2-burner stove that takes the same fuel, coolers, outdoor chairs, and a long list of smaller stuff.

Last bought were a couple books from thriftbooks (a penny each plus shipping through amazon), a lot of tanks of gasoline for a long trip I had to take, and a pile of groceries.

Old 12th May 2012, 20:14   #3407
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a couple of Coleman lamps, but I only use them for catching crayfish. Battery fluorescent for camping.

I don't know if you have crayfish where you are...

If you wait until it gets dark, place a couple of Coleman lamps full blast about 10 feet from the bank of a creek where you know crayfish are. The crayfish will crawl up the bank to the lamp. They like light. Then you just pick up the big ones. Bring a bucket. You'll need it. No need to mess with bait and nets. Bait and nets aren't nearly as effective.

Now this guy made a really cute video with his son, but does not know how to clean a crayfish. Yuk if you leave the guts in.

If you look at the shell on the end of the tail on a cooked cf. Grab the three center fins, snap em' back and pull. All the guts come out of the tail. Most people don't know this and it makes the crawdads taste like shit. That's because it is shit
Old 12th May 2012, 21:52   #3408
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Crayfish are quite common at/near my camp in PA, in the pond and stream just a few feet from the tent and fire pit, but they're hard to find when it comes to ones big enough to make a half-decent meal. The funny thing is, the environment looks perfect for crayfish of all sizes. On the other hand, I get bluegill fish that look much bigger than normal, and make for quite nice meals (plus they're super easy to catch, whereas the big bass in the pond are hard to catch). I'm guessing there are crayfish here in Southern WV, but I haven't seen them yet. One of these days I'll try your lantern trick at either or both places.

The battery lantern (fluorescent) takes 2 6-volt block batteries, or 8 D-cell batteries in the block converters. That lantern isn't very bright, and for some reason, doesn't last long. Add that to the insane price of those batteries, and it makes for a good dust-collector in the attic. The only thing good about it is that it's omnidirectional, cool (unlike fuel lanterns), and doesn't put out toxic fumes, meaning it works inside the tent better than a flashlight. These days I don't use it much though; I just run a garage trouble light with a cfl bulb hanging from the top of the tent inside, with an extension cord running out to the truck. That setup can run all night without really doing much to the pickup's battery, which recharges the next time I drive it. You need to remember to unplug it if someone wants to drive to a restroom in the middle of the night though. I almost forgot that one night and nearly tore the tent down.

Here's the battery lantern, a pic from a long time ago (both pets there are dead now). That's an old canvas Coleman tent (8x12 I think) from 1968 - parents got it then; tent also dead now as of around 2002.

This is the newer 7x14x6 tent; I think I bought it in '04. I had a little Eureka tent between the two big Coleman tents, but Eureka tents can't stand up to the sun's UV rays for very long - they start to get brittle and rip just by touching them the wrong way, so I went back to Coleman. I'll hopefully be back to that camp by early to mid June.

Old 13th May 2012, 04:52   #3409
rockouthippie
Banned

I like smaller tents to sleep in. A 3 person Alpine one is just about right. It needs good vents. I'll take 2... one for gear and a tarp to stand under outside if it's raining.

It's also good because little tents can be secured better and don't blow away. Plus it's 5 minutes to put up.

I found out alpine tents were more comfortable to sleep in when I was broke and bought the cheapest tent I could find. And it didn't blow away.... even on sand... just bury it... And it was warm. And I didn't wake up with dew all over me.

And a dog is enough to help keep the chill off....
Old 13th May 2012, 08:11   #3410
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Those larger tents stood up to the strongest windstorms each summer without problems, so far at least. If bugs get too aggressive or if it's raining, it's nice to have some room in there to do stuff. I like to stand up and not hit the roof. Also, considering I spend the whole summer, not just a couple nights, I need a lot of room for a lot of junk, most of which I want to access in one place. Setup for one person is slightly more difficult but is still less than 10 minutes, for two people less than 5 if you've done it before. I pretty much always have a bunch of people around, all of which will help if they know they're getting hot dogs later, so that's not an issue. We've had the newer tent out on the beach on some New England off-road tours where the ocean winds can be pretty strong, but with all the shit we throw in there, it would tear long before it would move.

I get condensation whether I use a small tent or large one, depending on the weather, if I sleep on the ground or on a mat. A strip of plastic under the mat will solve it (most mats come with one), but it needs to be hung out to dry each day. With a cot or air mattress, that's no longer an issue.

My current dog isn't trustworthy in the tent like the last dog - too crazy if he hears an unusual sound and would likely rip everything up. He stays outside or in the truck bed under the cap. I think he's one of those paranoid schizophrenic types, very different from all the other dogs I've had.

Last bought - even more gasoline. I had another prom gig and was running low again on the way home. I was lucky to find a place that was open.

Old 13th May 2012, 10:14   #3411
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ For Ted

Old 13th May 2012, 10:44   #3412
rockouthippie
Banned

Northwest Oregon has crazy weather. Beach camping can be a little nuts. Anything that can act like a sail does. If you can hide in the dunes, you got a shot at not blowing away.

If I was gonna camp all summer, I'd probably come up with a cheapo camp trailer. This one went for $3500. That's kinda high. It's a 64 Aloha like the one I had. It's got a stove.. a gas lamp and an icebox. All the 1964 amenities A modern air mattress does wonders... Anyhow... bulletproof and cheap... I loved mine.

You can tow these with a 6 cylinder car and not need trailer brakes.

Eh.. give me the dorky little trailer I can tow with a car and not be 20 feet wide.... I had more fun with this thing. Sometimes less is more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aloha_trailer.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	49658  

Last edited by rockouthippie; 13th May 2012 at 12:00.
Old 13th May 2012, 15:17   #3413
fc*uk

boxes, boxes, and more boxes!

This is for the birds....
Old 13th May 2012, 16:52   #3414
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

That trailer is quite nice, but if I parted money to go the trailer route, I would step up to one with a bathroom. Renee drives to a restroom, which is quite a bumpy ride, not fun when you have to go. For some reason I still get through the night without ever needing to go, and even if I did, being a guy, a nice fat tree is good enough, with a baby-wipe to wash hands. The trailer would need considerable off-road-suspension-articulation abilities to get back there. Indeed small would be better because something longer would be more likely to scrape. There are a lot of roots, stumps, ruts, and a small rocky creek crossing. During long dry spells, I can get a less-capable vehicle back there if I'm extra careful.

@ fc*uk - you moving?

@ widdy - exactly. He'll jump around and put his paws up to look out the screens and usually won't stop until he figures out what the sound is. He seems to act relaxed if I toss him in the truck or if everyone is still awake.

Old 13th May 2012, 17:42   #3415
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
@ fc*uk - you moving?
Sure am.

In my best Jar-Jar voice: Messuh so excited to be moving for the fourth time in a calendar year!
Old 13th May 2012, 19:59   #3416
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

8 times since 2000, and a remote chance it could happen again this summer (probably won't though). If I could recapture the money spent on all that, I could probably buy a pretty luxurious camp trailer if I wanted. The moving trucks get bigger each time; next time we might not be able to do it all ourselves.

For some reason, Imageshack removed the option to put "thumnail for forums" on. Now I'm spamming you with big pics which for some reason are all blurry with the resize. Sorry about that. These were all from my most recent move, and don't even include most of the furniture.

I feel your pain. It's an ordeal, and no mater how much you secure things, there's always scuffing of furniture and other setbacks.

Old 13th May 2012, 20:17   #3417
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Renee drives to a restroom
This is where you hand her a shovel and tell her to dig a latrine. No?

I had an 18' trailer. You gotta pump the blue stuff. It had a shower, but that means you're hauling a lot more water. You need a V8 truck. Trailer brakes are necessary. You need 2 propane tanks, not one. You're burning quite a bit more gas hauling the extra 1000 lbs. You're a lot wider too, so you've got truck mirrors knocking people off the sidewalk. Forget dragging one up a log road. You'd pull it apart.

Price probably isn't an issue. You probably could get a late 70's or 80's camp trailer in good shape for a couple grand.

This little trailer... almost no maintenance.. that's a plus in my book. But yeah... if you had a woman around, you'd probably do it different.

The thing about that Aloha.... hook it up... check the tires... we're done. Getting the bigger one moving was a half day project.
Old 13th May 2012, 21:29   #3418
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
This is where you hand her a shovel and tell her to dig a latrine. No?
Lol, yes. I honestly considered this option. I have friends that are local to the area that could have it dug for a low price. I didn't want to deal with the stench or chemicals, and Renee didn't like the idea either.

Old 13th May 2012, 22:57   #3419
fc*uk

We are well beyond the point of being able to do this ourselves.

This move, this very final fourth move was supposed to be gravy. The future employer of my wife was supposed to pickup the tab and pay to have everything boxed, packed, and shipped.

And they were ...

Until the estimator came out and estimated that it was going to cost $11,000 to git her done. The moving budget is $6,000. We don't have the extra cash to make up the difference...
Old 14th May 2012, 00:58   #3420
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

yard sale, beg/borrow, etc. This last move for us was estimated between around $7-10K from professional movers (not including vehicles), but I got it done in less than 4. It would have been a lot more had I decided to move big stuff - tractors/accessories, boats, woodshop, larger garage stuff, trailers, lawn/garden stuff, etc. but I still leave all that in PA until I find something more permanent.

Move what you can to storage if necessary, and move the essentials on the $6K budget. Your wife has a big job coming up. She can afford the extra 5 in a matter of a few checks down the road if what I think is happening.

Also, shop around. You notice that each quote will be wildly different from the next if it's anything like what I experienced. A little back and forth haggling can shave off literally thousands.

PODS? They take time but are pretty trouble free.

Old 14th May 2012, 02:13   #3421
fc*uk

Well ... lots in there Ted!

I guess first, we don't plan on coming back to michigan to live; ever. So, it's all gotta come with us.

You are right about what is going on. You are also right that within a few paychecks this is a moot point. However, the problem is getting there.

Due to personal issues surrounding this entire past year, which are far too long an involved to get into fully, we've got very little liquid assets anymore and are up to our limit in credit.

Never thought to haggle with them. Will give that a shot.

Have you used PODS before? We got one when we were moving out of our house. However, and I think we set something up wrong, we were told by POD that for them to deliver it from Detroit to where we are going is going to cost about $3k. WTF? Again, because of the 6k moving budget, that pod cost is now on us.
Old 14th May 2012, 03:22   #3422
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The thing with PODS is that you can fill it and store it for a lot less money than it takes to move it, and then when you get the money, call them up and schedule for it to be moved.

I have yet to move myself with them, but I've helped some friends that used them. They were pretty happy, except that they do take their time a bit. You need to be patient with them, but overall they're alright. The only reason I never went with them is that I was able to use rental trucks for less money, and that my current location isn't served by them. Fuel is a mofo these days, so yeah, delivering that far will be expensive, but if it's stuff that can wait, then store it in MI. With them, you don't have to go back to retrieve your stuff; you can just call them and have them deliver when you get the money.

Old 14th May 2012, 10:18   #3423
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
Sure am.

In my best Jar-Jar voice: Messuh so excited to be moving for the fourth time in a calendar year!
Ok! You've gone off the Reservation
But, PACK is a four letter word....
Old 15th May 2012, 22:08   #3424
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
40 rounds 7.62x54r Brown Bear ammo
100 rounds 9mm ammo
100 rounds .22LR Super Colibri ammo
Surplus M91/30 Mosin-Nagant

Then Mosin and its ammo for my step Dad's birthday.

And a new microwave. Old one conked out.

Old 15th May 2012, 22:24   #3425
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Ok! You've gone off the Reservation
But, PACK is a four letter word....
Way off Widdy. This just gets to you this many times in such a short span.

Im using plenty of four letter words right about now; sadly PACK has yet to make the list
Old 15th May 2012, 22:27   #3426
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

hmmm... ammo... microwave...

No wonder the old one doesn't work anymore. I'm surprised you lived to tell about it.

Old 15th May 2012, 22:29   #3427
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaHa *sick*
Old 16th May 2012, 08:45   #3428
rockouthippie
Banned

I dunno about camper bathrooms. You could pee harder than the shower, and the toilet is kinda a lot of trouble.

Even when I did have a bathroom, I'd often use the campground one. It was kinda handy if I wasn't in a developed campground, which in Oregon, isn't very often. There isn't much free camping here... probably none officially...
Old 17th May 2012, 14:18   #3429
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
last thing i bought:
a qpad heaton, got sick of the mouse's finicky-ness with cloth mousepads and having to wash them to restore consistent tracking, with how long the damn shipping took i have to wonder just how much it costs to ship something from pluto anyway, but other than that can't complain.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:19   #3430
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Yesterday I have bought a micro-SDHC-card 32 GB and foldable headphones, Sennheiser PX-100 II in Black (I have tested them today at my Workstation-PC, they are okay and I can use them, if I have to be outside more often now).
The planned portable player will come on 29th May into the electronic shop, and I don't want to use these in-earphones, because I hate in-earphones.
I will come back to this thread in the next days...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Old 17th May 2012, 22:32   #3431
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
last thing i bought:
a qpad heaton, got sick of the mouse's finicky-ness with cloth mousepads and having to wash them to restore consistent tracking, with how long the damn shipping took i have to wonder just how much it costs to ship something from pluto anyway, but other than that can't complain.
I hated trackballs, but I decided to use one for a couple months, forcing myself to learn to use one. Hurt different parts of my hands.... Uhh... I've gotten deadly, deadly with a trackball. It isn't as fatiguing as a mouse once you get used to it either.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Track.../dp/B00005NIMJ

This is my trackball that I paid $29.99 for. I can recommend the design. Uhhh... I don't think it's worth $280..... but I've never used any other trackball for comparison. I like that trackball.

I like no mouse pad.

If I was going to replace it today, I think I'd use this wireless one mainly because of how far left the trackball is. I have big hands and my wrist is flat on the desk with everything fitting just right. Strafing with your thumb is fun in fps games... so is sniping... You just gotta get the hang of it...

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/iguana-micro_2206_10236869

Ones that are more centered... I'd have to let you know after a month...

I have the trackball, a wacom tablet, a mouse and a gamepad hooked up, so I'm pretty well set on pointing devices. I don't use the mouse much, except on my pants... for coarse pointing.
Old 1st June 2012, 03:27   #3432
AmandaM

The last time I went to shopping store I bought a laptop table
Old 2nd June 2012, 01:35   #3433
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today I had to buy a new telephone for my mother at "Media Markt", because her old telephone (10 years old) was not okay anymore (the others can hear me, but I cannot hear the others). I have to bring it to her appartement tomorrow (before she will come home on Tuesday). A working telephone is very important for old people...
"Conrad" should have the portable player since 29th May, but they didn't have it. And they told me, I should wait 1-2 months longer or many months (until I'm old and grey?), but maybe they cannot order it for us people in Berlin. Okay, "Conrad" had its chance, but "Media Markt" has earned its money from me now...
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:50   #3434
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

So, you got your mom what she needed. Great! She's your mom....and you take care of her, that's a good thing. Is Media Markt like our Best Buy?
http://www.bestbuy.com/
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:42   #3435
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

We have some other shops in Germany.
This is Conrad:
http://www.conrad.de/ce/
And this is Media Markt:
http://www.mediamarkt.de/
My mother is since 3rd May in the hospital, after she had fallen at home and broken her arm. After the OP she got some rehabilitation. She wants to come home, of course, because she doesn't like hospitals. Somebody will come 3 times per day into her home, but I have to take care the first nights.
PS, on Your link I have clicked "continue in english" (I cannot speak Spanish). Yes, Best Buy looks similiar...

Last edited by Sabine Klare; 2nd June 2012 at 14:30.
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:42   #3436
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I don't speak Spanish, either!
(Link her is in English, why, I dunno...) Glad your mom is on the mend.
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:03   #3437
fc*uk

bueno si te hablo en espanol todo la veces como you vas a entender?

edit:

and with that I will say that full immersion is the bast and fastest way to pickup a second language.

edit 2:

wow. google translate turned that into a train wreck.

re: If I speak to you in Spanish all the time, how will you understand?
Old 2nd June 2012, 20:56   #3438
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I woulda' used Bablefish or the other Bable. And do you speak Spanish? Cool.
Oh From Bablefish:
si te hablo en espanol todo la veces como you vas a entender?
well if you speak in Spanish all the times as you are you going to understand? (English)
They took your beuno...why? I don't know.
Old 2nd June 2012, 23:36   #3439
fc*uk

I speak spanish decent enough to manage ...

Had to do a few transfers for the company I work for to Mexico. Let's say I had to find a way to pick it up... Writing is still somewhat of a challenge.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:41   #3440
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

In the school I had English, French and Latin. In my childhood and youth there was no internet and Google Translator. I have played a little bit with the Google Translator now, and I have translated a text from German to Russian...

Ich werde in der kommenden Woche für ein paar Tage nicht an meinem Computer sein können...

Я буду на следующей неделе в течение нескольких дней не может быть на моем компьютере ...

(I wanted to say: "In the following week I cannot be at my computer for some days")

I have to be a little bit funny now, although I will have much stress in the following week, and then I cannot be online, because no one neighbour in the same house seems to have a computer (yesterday I have discovered, there is no WLAN near the appartement of my mother). I can use my notebook (bought last October) and my very new portable player (bought 2 days ago) there only offline...
Last November I went through 16 languages on my "Workstation PC" (bought August 2009). It was very interesting for me, because many words and textes are similiar. I could read 11 of the 16 languages, but I wasn't able to read 5 of them, and I was not the only one...
Have a nice Sunday and a good new week, greetings again
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions