Old 23rd October 2007, 13:31   #1
RealRaven

Winamp 5.5 Installer destroyed Winamp

I am using Winamp for about 7 years now, started with version 2. I have done the last couple of updates, today I decided to download 5.5 and install over 5.35. I was hoping to keep my play count and library etc. like this, as previous versions installed over with no problems.

After installation tried to start but I got an error "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close.". I closed down all other apps, tried again, same problem. tried to get Task Manager or Process Explorer up, they wouldn't start. Rebooted the machine, tried the new version again, same error message. Installed 5.5 again this time without the Bento Skin. Same behavior. So I tried to revert to 5.35 by installing the old version over the new one now I get: the winamp player window shows but after 3 seconds the same error. So I can not use Winamp anymore. I have visual themes disabled on Winamp (using Windowblind ver 6). Other software running in background: SQL Server 2000, SQL server 2005. 2 soundcards, one on board (recent ASUS Mobo, Athlon XP 64 dual core) which is only used for windows sounds; the other one M-Audio Delta 1010 (for music).

Is there a "safe mode" that I can activate? Or any other way I can get Winamp back? Itunes sucks it won't let me use my good sound card without changing the system soundcard.

thanks in advance,
Axel
RealRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:14   #2
RealRaven

More experimenting, could not leave that one alone. Here's how I fixed it. After reading the thread about clean install I did the following. (If you try the same remember YMMV, I am not responsible if you shoot down your system with this :-)

1. made sure there was no Application Settings for Winamp, so everything is in Program Files\Winamp sub folders, = old school.
2. deleted the contents of the winamp\plugins folder
3. installed winamp 5.35 - works, but ask for media files. clicked cancel.
4. installed latest version 5.5
5. renamed the sub folder "ml" (my guess is it contains the media library) and restored the old ml folder
=> everything is back to normal. No need to re-add my Cd collection. Its a bit of a pity that it is not easy to tell which plugins are core components and which are added a separate tool for this would be nice.
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:28   #3
RealRaven

since it is such a complex application a splash / log window that shows which components are currently loading might be even more helpful. Cubase VST has something like this - its invaluable for finding out if a VST plugin is bringing the whole application down. just a thought...
Old 25th October 2007, 11:58   #4
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

does have an optional splash, but i like the idea of the splash having a progress bar, that'd be nice.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 12:21   #5
RealRaven

Yea progress bar + "loading DLL xxx..." would be nice. I have splash disabled, a key combination to force it while loading might be handy.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports