Old 25th April 2008, 15:32   #1
Winampist

"Metadata" / tag completion / wrong VBR displaying

Hi,

it took me some time to try finding solutions for my problems myself and it took more time to try finding answers in one of these forums. I didn't find any, so this is probably my last chance to get help ..

1. "Metadata". (Winamp 5.x)
I simply don't want this. And particularly, I don't want to have click TWICE for each file to see the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags - or actually, click THRICE, to get away from the "metadata" to ID3v1 and then ID3v2. Is there any possibility to get the display of Winamp 2.x? (Compare the following picture)
http://www.ringwraith.de/images/zZ/ID3v1+2.JPG

2. Tag completion. (Winamp 5.x + 2.x)
This seems to be a feature of each version that also features ID3v2. As you may guess, I don't perceive anything positive about this, it annoys the hell out of me. I'll give an example for a song title:

Quote:
ID3v1: Dayvan Cowboy (Odd Nosdam Remi
ID3v2: [none]

Filename: Boards of Canada - 06 - Dayvan Cowboy (Odd Nosdam Remix)
So, what Winamp does now is to complete the title in the playlist ("Dayvan Cowboy (Odd Nosdam Remix)"). Note: only for the playlist, the ID3v1 stays as wrong as it is. Result for someone that uses last.fm like me (and many others, I guess): the wrong title gets scrobbled - and you don't even notice it because Winamp disguises the mistagging! (And this looks twice as bad with incomplete band names!)
The mistagging continues when the MP3 is transferred to your iPod (or any other MP3 player) or you send the MP3 to someone else and so on ..
This is even worse when there is neither a ID3v2 or ID3v1 tag; in case of last.fm, songs won't get scrobbled at all, but you won't notice because in your Winamp playlist the songs appear to be well-tagged ..

3. Wrong VBR displaying (Winamp 2.x)
You see that I actually downloaded the newest Winamp version. One of the main reasons for this was an error that occured even in the latest Winamp 2-version, Winamp 2.95: sometimes MP3s, which are encoded with variable bit rate, are likely to produce errors in the display of length and bitrate. It's a bit hard to explain the issue, but I try .. normally, MP3s with VBR encoding are displayed with the known varying bitrates while being played (=128, 192, 256, 320, 32, 64 and so on). In only a few cases it happens that the display appears like this: 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ....
Doesn't sound dramatic, but this display error causes also a highly corrupted display of song length. For example, a song that is actually 3:00 minutes long, turns out to dure only 2:30 minutes or even 6:00 minutes (for Winamp!); in the first case, you forward to a passage right before the end (like "real" 2:50 minutes) and the song is abruptly stopped, because the "irreal" 2:30 minutes are already over; or, in the latter case, you want to play the "real" second 30 but get to an earlier point because of the "irreal" song length, induced by corrupted VBR encoding ..
The good news on this: the files work normally on Winamp 5. But how could I dare using it when the issues 1 and 2 derange my MP3 collection?

I know that there are certain Plug-Ins and stuff for Winamp 5, so I really hope that at least the issues 1 & 2 can be solved - otherwise I would miss using this software after nearly 10 years ..

Regards & Thanks in advance
Winampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 17:14   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

1. What do you mean? ID3v1 and ID3v2 are both forms of "metadata". Metadata is just another term for tags.
Editing the fields in the Basic Info tab will update both the ID3v1 and v2 tags, so there's no need to click on those tabs anyway.

2. That behaviour is depicted by the follwoing settings:

Winamp -> Prefs -> Titles -> Advanced Title Formatting:
Change your ATF string to taste. More help here:
http://media.winamp.com/main/help/50/atf/atf.htm

Winamp -> Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media:
Options tab -> Use Library title information for Playlist Item Formatting

Watch Folders tab -> Configure button: Set to taste, eg. checkmark "No guessing"

3. Old versions are not supported (not that the leaked v2.95 ever was anyway).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion