Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 23rd March 2010, 16:15   #561
TheSaw

Send a message via Yahoo to TheSaw
Well this release is still crashing for me ... maybe it's the 5.57 Winamp? I wanted to download the beta, but the password changed for the beta site I think, it doesn't allow me in.

I've tried compiling your branch, but I have some directory mixups (I think?) I copied the SDK to the ..\sdk directory, but now i get this:

error C2065: 'GenWin7ShellLangGUID' : undeclared identifier
error C2065: 'GEN_INIT_FAILURE' : undeclared identifier

Where are these declared? I didn't have much time to look into it more, but it sure looks nice... I mean the changes

Winamp integration plug-in with Windows 7

If you like this plug-in, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake to work more on it?

TheSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:53   #562
DrO

i'll sort out newer versions of gen.h & lang.h later tonight. will be interesting to find out what's causing the crash for you especially seeing as it's your "baby" as such

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:36   #563
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
thesaw check you email since benski emailed the new password

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
robdog2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:41   #564
TheSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i'll sort out newer versions of gen.h & lang.h later tonight. will be interesting to find out what's causing the crash for you especially seeing as it's your "baby" as such

-daz
Well it's generating an error dump, I just don't know where to find it.... But as soon as I can compile your 1.14 I'll debug it :P

If you like this plug-in, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake to work more on it?

Old 23rd March 2010, 20:46   #565
DrO

i've added a few files to the branch\dro\sdk folder which just need to be popped over the existing sdk folder contents & fixed an issue with my altered getToolTip(..) function.

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 07:52   #566
TheSaw

Same issue here... firstly the #include "../playlist/api_playlists.h" is not right, at least for me, I changed that, and then I get those previously mentioned errors. Where are those declared?

Old 24th March 2010, 07:56   #567
DrO

they're declared in the modified files i put in the sdk folder in the branch and just need to overwrite the versions in the proper sdk folder. it's all designed to work on the following folder layout:

<Winamp Development Folder>
<Winamp Development Folder>\sdk
<Winamp Development Folder>\gen_win7shell (no additional gen_win7shell subfolder)
<Winamp Development Folder>\sdk\playlist
<Winamp Development Folder>\sdk\Wasabi

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 08:20   #568
TheSaw

Okay, well I included that lang.h, and it works now O.o

Anyways, this is where it crashes:
INI_DIR=(wchar_t*)SendMessage(wnd,WM_WA_IPC,0,IPC_GETINIDIRECTORYW);

The weird thing is I just noticed I have the 5.58 Winamp... maybe it's an older version? (I don't have access to the newer ones I think)

Also, the pre-5.58 versions only use the non-unicode version of the path, right?

Old 24th March 2010, 08:34   #569
DrO

does sound like you've got an older beta version installed if it's crashing on that call (if you don't have the current login details then pm) - if it's not supported then it should be returning 1 to indicate an unimplemented ipc.

correct, any public client installs will use the existing IPC_GETINIDIRECTORY which is converted to a unicode string but due to how winamp.exe creates the path there shouldn't be any issues with this (is how it was dealing with things in some places in the client itself before adding IPC_GETINIDIRECTORYW to the current beta client where it now uses the unicode functions inplace of the ansi ones).

considering the ansi path version has been in use since the 2.9x clients and i've not seen any reports of failures with the handling of getting the settings files/paths other than with plug-ins not using the IPC_GETINIDIRECTORY (and related) api's or assuming everything is stored in the winamp program or plugin's folder (that one still bugs me that some plug-in devs refuse to use the correct api's just so they have less to code/manage to keep things compatible with winamp-clones) then there's really no reason to be fretting about such things. if the path failed then people wouldn't be complaining about issues with just this plug-in as most of winamp would fail/be reset to it's default values.

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 08:42   #570
TheSaw

I've installed the new beta, which supports it, so it's all okay.
Well I don't know what did I do wrong, but I did it the same way before over-complicating it, and users were complaining about the path, but only those with unicode Windows usernames

I'll go poke this around a bit see how it works.

Old 24th March 2010, 08:49   #571
DrO

that's a relief it's ok now as it hadn't really occurred that you'd be using an older beta client hence just the version check instead of a proper error handler as it shouldn't be an issue on a publically released client (famous last words).

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 09:08   #572
TheSaw

Yeah so far it works nice, every aspect of it. I've checked the .lng file you included, I think the best approach is to convert the already existing ones into the new ones; the original translator might be hard to find now I will do that slowly. So now the plug-in will have the same language as the Winamp, or will the user select the language for it?

Anything else?

Old 24th March 2010, 09:13   #573
DrO

i've got a tool which will do the transfer of the old language files to the lng format so that can be sorted out easily (was a good thing i'd started on an ini->lng generator for my own plug-ins ). as for using the language, it requires the new lng file being in the currently selected language pack or in a sub-folder related to the language for 5.57x installs.

i've been toying with the idea of making a mini tool (or using some features in the newer lng_generator i'm working on) to add a lng file to a language pack which could be used with the installer but not sure who has the installer script (as i believe pawel made the script but haven't seen a copy of it in cvs but i can always talk with him about tweaking things in some form).

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 09:30   #574
TheSaw

I'll upload the script, but as you said, he made it, I don't really mess around with it!

Old 24th March 2010, 09:33   #575
DrO

rightio, i'll be pestering pawel then which makes a change as it's normally the other way round (as he's pointed out most of the little issues with the change in the language file used with one more issue to fix from last night).

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 09:35   #576
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
@Atti, Dro
Polish language file gen_win7shell.lng is ready. Works very well with newest dro builds.
About installer. Just tell me what you both want - I will implement it.
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 09:38   #577
TheSaw

Thx PepeSoft and thx DrO (feel free to make any changes, I'm off for a bit)
Installer script and all files are on the svn.

Old 24th March 2010, 12:29   #578
Pawel

Atti, may I have access to SVN? (to change files, in this case, installer)
-Pawel
Old 24th March 2010, 14:57   #579
osmosis
Major Dude

So I guess I'm stuck with Test 1 until we see Public Betas.
Glad to see things are still trucking along though!
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 15:33   #580
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
So I guess I'm stuck with Test 1 until we see Public Betas.
are you saying that Test 5 still crashes for you? or am i missing something...

-daz
Old 24th March 2010, 17:33   #581
TheSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeSoft View Post
Atti, may I have access to SVN? (to change files, in this case, installer)
-Pawel
You got them.

Old 24th March 2010, 20:18   #582
robdog2004
Major Dude

dro
does this plugin use the ntdll.dll in win7
i am trying to find out why winamp keeps crashing when i shut the program down
it tries to send the report to bug@winamp.com but it says email address not aloud
any help appreciated

thanks rob

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 24th March 2010, 21:06   #583
TheSaw

Just in case, do you have either the final 5.57, or the latest 5.58 beta?

Old 24th March 2010, 22:24   #584
robdog2004
Major Dude

thesaw
it was causing problems on either version
only the beta tries to contact support

thing was it crashed at random times

thanks rob

Old 24th March 2010, 23:16   #585
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
are you saying that Test 5 still crashes for you? or am i missing something...

-daz
Ah sorry, thought the crashes hadn't been resolved so didn't try. Test 5 doesn't crash for me and doesn't seem to have any new issues that I can see. Old list still applies of course
Old 25th March 2010, 10:12   #586
DrO

osmosis: doh, had thought i'd been obvious with the version notes about crash fixes, etc nvm

yeah i need to look at the list of other things you've mentioned though the mouse stuff is going to be tricky as i don't have a usb mouse & no ps/2 ports on my Win7 laptop (annoyingly).

robdog: ntdll.dll is part of the OS as the layer in which api calls in programs eventually go through to do things though this plug-in isn't directly calling things in ntdll.dll but is going to be related to an issue in a higher level api being used.

i've still to look at the crash dump you've provided on the betalist. you say that it happens on closing of Winamp - you're not using the mouse volume hooking feature (as if something else on the system isn't playing nicely then it's possible for that to cause a crash like that) ?

-daz
Old 25th March 2010, 11:43   #587
DrO

throwing this out as a thought...

what are people's views about having the config dialog for this plug-in changed over to being an integrated preferences page under the general preferences page (possibly titled 'Win7 Taskbar' or something like that).

there are 2 downside to this change:
1 - there's then no ok|apply|cancel buttons for the settings though Winamp's settings are generally updated on-the-fly so it would be more consistant with things.
2 - it requires more changes to the dialog/language file though as only the polish language file has been updated to the newer format (at the moment) this is less of an issue i'd hope.

anyway, just a thought as the other thought i've had (along with some more work on the reported issues) is to change how the recent/frequent aspects are handled to use the information provided by the media library history (if present) though i've still to work out the plausibility of doing that.

-daz
Old 25th March 2010, 12:43   #588
TheSaw

Well if you really want to create a better integration, lots of code should be rewritten, like settings, version control, translations, GUI, etc ... Wonder if it would be easier to just start from scratch and create everything :/

Old 25th March 2010, 14:49   #589
robdog2004
Major Dude

daz
sent you a email explaining the problem with a little more detail

thanks rob

Old 26th March 2010, 12:31   #590
DrO

TheSaw: was just a thought really as it's easier to get to the preferences if integrated (especially when testing different options all of the time) but as it was just a thought it seemed best to see what users want as well. however it wouldn't be that much code change to get it working i think (famous last words, heh)

osmosis:
Quote:
- Mousewheel volume functionality over the taskbar remains inconsistent (works while config is open and when running fresh instance but then cuts out once prefs is closed or menus are clicked into).
I've found a way to use my mouse over vnc (disabling the mirror driver allows Aero to appear correctly) and i'm seeing anything weird though maybe there's something else interfering with things on your install (is the only thing i can think off when you say it fails when going to other menus). will have to see if there's a better way to debug the issue on your machine somehow.

Quote:
- Changing the background from Album Art (my default) to Transparent seems to affect font size?
not seeing this at all when changing the display settings, background settings, even with using different fonts with the tests. it can 'appear' to be different at times but when checking via screenshots it is correct (unless i'm missing something else).

Quote:
- The taskbar tooltip in Windows 7 Basic theme doesn't have enough space to draw the selected thumbnail buttons (old bug). My truncation bug is affecting this for sure, but if there's any easy way to detect basic theme maybe the "Remove window title" option should be greyed out as off since removing it entirely definitely causes the problem. Looks like no more than 4 can be selected in Basic theme as well.
i've reworked the remove title option so it should now work better with the basic theme (will add 5 spaces per button added to the title text to fool things) which will be testable in the next test release (probably later today i'll put that out).

-daz
Old 26th March 2010, 13:08   #591
TheSaw

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the integration, was just wondering ...

Old 26th March 2010, 13:19   #592
Pawel

If you want to know my opinion, I would integrate it with Winamp, to work and look like other winamp components. Heh, dont know how much work it is... but maybe it is worth to do it.
Waiting for new build
-Pawel
Old 26th March 2010, 13:50   #593
DrO

1.14 Test 6
  • Localisation fixes
  • Attempt to fix the player control buttons being clipped/disappearing when no taskbar title is displayed
  • Added restart prompt when the player control buttons are altered
Download v1.14 Test 6 (extract the file into your Winamp\plugins directory).

re: Prefs Integration
As no one has said no so i'll look to moving it over to an integrated format in a later test build then

-daz
Old 26th March 2010, 14:22   #594
homes32

I personally would like the preferences integrated if it isn't too much of a bother.

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 14:45   #595
Pawel

Here is a polish language file, for Win 7 Taskbar Integration plugin (1.14 build 6).
-Pawel
Attached Files
File Type: 7z gen_win7shell.7z (4.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 26th March 2010, 22:33   #596
TheSaw

Okay DrO, go ahead Just say if you need any help You know Winamp so much better than I do, so just do it how you think it fits it better...

Old 6th April 2010, 19:13   #597
osmosis
Major Dude

I know things are still in the thick of testing but I had a thought regarding the scrolling of long artist name/album/title strings. Any chance it could be changed to behave more like Winamp's own title scrolling, with pauses at either end and reverse scrolling instead of continuous?
Old 6th April 2010, 19:34   #598
DrO

i'm going to act like i have no idea what you're talking about as i didn't know this one did scrolling text? also there's a few different methods of title scrolling used depending on the skin type used

have you tried the newest test version to see if it resolves the taskbar text issue you reported?

-daz
Old 7th April 2010, 02:06   #599
robdog2004
Major Dude

for right now daz the feature os wants isnt implemented
what he/she is talking about is how the title scrolls in the modern skins in the song ticker
and they want to know if you can implement it into the taskbar plugin

thanks rob

Old 7th April 2010, 17:38   #600
osmosis
Major Dude

He. Thanks rob, and you're right; song ticker-esque scrolling was both the words and functionality I was looking for.

Daz, text will scroll if it exceeds the bounds of the thumbnail box unless %d% is specified for the line, but it's just one continuous scroll. I was hoping for the back-and-forth scrolling the song ticker does in Bento and Modern.

As for the text issue, removing all but very little thumbnail text and adding 7 buttons seems to keep all of them on screen, so possibly a success there if this was a problem previously. My issue was more with Windows 7 Basic theme and the buttons cuttoff, however, and this does still occur. With 7 buttons it still clips to 2 when in Basic theme.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion