Old 21st November 2013, 13:55   #1
xFaultx

Is there even an alternative?

Man I'm really upset about the most recent news, I'm at a cross roads. Im trying to decide whether to stick it out with Winamp, or move on. The problem is, I have searched, and I literally cannot find an alternative, even to give it a try. Here are the things I need out of a music player:

-Can play DRM / protected WMA files, such as those from rhapsody
-Can be controlled by an android application
-Gracenote or playlist generating support
-Custom skins
-Not too heavy cpu wise

Really, there isnt even an alternative that I could try. All of them seem incapable of one of the above (especially playing drm wma files).

I really how winamp goes open source, and we get a good dev community behind it
xFaultx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 14:54   #2
Xaser

Why do you want an alternative. It's not like Winamp is suddenly going to stop working on 20.12 so don#t worry.
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 15:11   #3
xFaultx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaser View Post
Why do you want an alternative. It's not like Winamp is suddenly going to stop working on 20.12 so don#t worry.
Im just worried the community might fade and support will fall off if it doesnt go open source. Mainly I worry about it becoming stale
Old 21st November 2013, 17:19   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
It's not like Winamp is suddenly going to stop working on 20.12 so don#t worry.
It sort of depends what "associated services" means. If the YP stays up. If shoutcast.com stays up.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 21:29   #5
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFaultx View Post
Mainly I worry about it becoming stale
seriously?

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:32   #6
xFaultx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
seriously?
I use winamp for a lot of things beyond personal listening. I actually do a lot of DJing through Winamp. Lets say in 2 years the android remote does not work for w/e the latest version of android is. If I cant play my files and control them remotely, this will cause a lot of issues. If support falls off, and becomes outdated, Im worried I may be left without something to work with
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:52   #7
wernerml

It's like Firefox...

probably even if there was an alternative, I would stick with Winamp like a maniac...
it's like Firefox, even with Chrome and other crap running/opening much faster, the community/inumerous-plugins of Firefox will always be bigger!

I would only start using another player if at least 10 years of plugins were being made (fanatically, like it has been done for winamp...)

So, to complete my post: I'm also really sad that it's dying...
wernerml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:44   #8
xFaultx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerml View Post
probably even if there was an alternative, I would stick with Winamp like a maniac...
it's like Firefox, even with Chrome and other crap running/opening much faster, the community/inumerous-plugins of Firefox will always be bigger!

I would only start using another player if at least 10 years of plugins were being made (fanatically, like it has been done for winamp...)

So, to complete my post: I'm also really sad that it's dying...
Side note, if you run a 64 bit system, you should check out Waterfox. Its essentially firefox, but 64 bit. Still keep all your addons!
Old 25th November 2013, 00:24   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Lets say in 2 years the android remote does not work for w/e the latest version of android is. ... etc
It's only the "Spaghetti" around here that plays DJ's anymore. Not much interest really. You can sing no wait.

I'm feeling like Winamp is an old friend I don't talk to much anymore and who didn't return my calls. Or maybe an old friend I did talk to and we just found out we didn't have that much in common anymore. It's been so long since my old friend Winamp has had a soul, he needs to move aside for younger men.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions