Cool Guy.
(Forum King)

Me too.

I'm gettin sick of this.

...a blatant person.
BullGawD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2001, 20:27   #122
mrsbladez

Nope cappy, it's not her (yeah that would be very weird if it was, lol) but I feel bad for whoever that is My friend spent an entire day geting rid of the virus and notifying people not to open the attachment if they got the one with the virus. Her PC is still not working right.

Btw, a tip for Outlook and Eudora users, delete your address book. It won't prevent you from getting infected if you open an attachment, but your email won't be able to send out personal info or forward the virus.
mrsbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2001, 22:04   #123
Duk
Major Dude

I'm so far beyond tired of this, I think I've reached a catatonic state. If this is coming from 'skin fans' who have me in their address book, then I must be more famous than I thot. Sheesh! My yahoo box (both of them) crash every other hour with 45+ e-mails. Yahoo is threatening to delete my account. ::sigh::

On a slightly different note (not really), I downloaded and installed the trial of McAfee yesterday with the updated sig ... heh ... and it wasn't even recognizing the file attachments to my e-mails had a worm in them. Sheesh! What the hell good is that? At least yahoo's online Norton scan can see it. I hate that I can't use Outlook anymore, but then oh well. What the hell. Was bound to happen sooner or later. I guess I will have to go cable soon so I have quicker access to my e-mail. Oh yeah. That's the idea. Then instead of virus problems, I'll be adding hacker problems to the list. MJ, I am gonna write you a note and then fold it into a paper airplane. When the Trades pick up, I'll send it sailing. Tell me when it arrives please. Perhaps a message in a bottle would be better. Yawn!
Duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2001, 01:47   #124
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
its origination ....

Well, although it seems its only running its course through the skinning community truth is its everywhere. Loads of people and servers are getting this thing. We just happen to be more involved because, of our tie ins to so many users. Basically, anyone you have ever received an email from regarding your skin will likely be sending you a personal copy of the virus on their system etc etc...and it will keep going that way until they get it fixed either on their system or their server.

-Joe

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2001, 01:56   #125
cyana
total eclipsed
(Major Dude)

meanwhile, I got +1000 of those virus mails
I started to answer and notify the sender that she/he has been infected by a virus - it's a hell of work but there is no other way to stop this madness

the Southern Pinwheel Project
A conversation with our universe
googlism note of the week: cyana is going to be the last thing you ever see
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2001, 02:18   #126
wnsknr2k

well now, at least im not the only one receiving spam around here. in the past hour, i received 23 e-mails all with the same message. what a nusance! looks like ive got to update my virus scan.
wnsknr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2001, 03:01   #127
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Here is a suggestion...

Sumbit an email to your pop provider asking them inact a security policy over their server, that will auto delete any message with the following attachment exisiting att00*.txt

This will get ride of all the message before sending it out, I do believe that this will stop the process before it has a chance to meet the clients it needs to in order to breed to other machines.

1001skins |
Old 24th July 2001, 10:58   #128
macaroon
Major Dude

CYANA
>meanwhile, I got +1000 of those virus mails
>I started to answer and notify the sender that she/he has >been infected by a virus - it's a hell of work but there >is no other way to stop this madness

Over 1000!! Man alive! i thought my 176ish was bad enough.
I also note that Symantic have upped the number of infections from 50-999 (yesterday) to over 1000 (today). It seems Cyana, that you are fairly high up on this pyramid of procreation.

I have just finally got through to customer services at my ISP and awaiting more info after they look though the headers. I have also contacted symantic for their advice as to stop this virus spreading.

However, that may come to nothing....

I think you may be right in contacting the senders. These people maybe unaware they they are carrying the virus and passing it on. I think it's time that they were told.

What a joy to behold this is.

Winamp 5 updates Spilt_Milk
macaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2001, 11:07   #129
Duk
Major Dude

Anyone know if it's possible to set in preferences somewhere to block ALL incoming mail with attachments? That would solve it for me. No one I know ever sends me attachments anyhoo ... at least not on my yahoo addys. Garetjax? Any clues?
Old 24th July 2001, 23:27   #130
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Hmmmm, the mail's definately increased while I was gone (new carpet installation). But Norton's finally recognizing the attachment's infected. Which I knew myself, so now it's just taking longer to click through the anti-virus screens than just delete the e-mails.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2001, 23:42   #131
Duk
Major Dude

I have successfully put a stop to it. Finally!

Spamguard is delivering all the crapola straight to my trash bin now ... don't even gotta look at it.
Old 25th July 2001, 10:50   #132
macaroon
Major Dude

Well, ladies and gentlemen it seems that the best thing you can do in these virus infested times is this:
Be Vigilante and Delete it!

It seems there is no way to filter out attacments with my mail program

My ISP can't filter out attachments. Welll they can but that will affect *everyone*

Being on hold for over an hour you do NOT want to listen to any classical music, no matter soothing it may seem.

Anti Viri peeps just as Symantic are inundated with everyone all asking the same questions.

Cut and paste headers for over an hour! -oh it's okay we already have enough now, thanks. GRRRRRR

But no one knows how to stop it. Be patient.Just let nature take its course. Sounds like a cure for constipation

Maybe I should stop my isp fee and get cut off.

Mmmmm..Does Nullsoft take winamp skins via snail mail?

Winamp 5 updates Spilt_Milk
macaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2001, 10:58   #133
Duk
Major Dude

Me likes yahoo more and more every day. Just added that stupid "I send you this ..." dumbass line to my body filters and I never even get bothered by this junk ... well, every once in a while I get some mailbox limit warnings from yahoo, but that be it. I even added the espanol filter. I feel much better now. That spamguard is better than asprin.

I do feel for the poor mail servers worldwide tho. No doubt this mess is causing a major headache to the superior beings far beyond what we are feeling.
Old 25th July 2001, 11:19   #134
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

its really bad guys/gals...really really bad...

My Friend works for prodigy.net their pop servers are hammering right now...

They do and are fixing it...but, time!

And they hate the fact that someone is using an overseas supposedly email drop-off point...

prodigy.mx.net

1001skins |
Old 25th July 2001, 11:27   #135
Wildfire

Is it only happening to skinners cus I keep getting them too.
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2001, 11:31   #136
mrsbladez

Ok, I give.. What the hell does this say????? I'm guessing it has something to do with a server and one of their clients sending out the virus but I'll be damned if I can make sense of it. I've tried 4 online translators including Babelfish and it comes out gibberish and un translated. I thought it was spanish.. then tried Italian.. no good. Anyone have a clue????

A T E N Ç Ã O

Nosso sistema de segurança encontrou um vírus no e-mail enviado para
você vindo de "luizlopesjuiz@curitibaonline.com.br"
Por questões de segurança o e-mail original foi apagado.

Esse serviço foi desenvolvido para melhor segurança de nossos
usuários!

Equipe Curitiba on Line

Old 25th July 2001, 11:37   #137
Duk
Major Dude

It says, "Attention! I have no life, so I send you this stuff to makes me happy. It complete my day. Have fun. Duk is the hottest man walking the planet. I want to meet him and love him madly all the rest of the days of my life."

Heh. Sorry. Looks like a cross between Italian and gibberish to me, Mrs B.

Take that back. It's Portuguese. Just close enuff to Italian and Spanish to mess ya up. Here ya go ...

Quote:
ATTENTION
Our system of security found a virus in the email sent for you come of
" luizlopesjuiz@curitibaonlinecom.br " For security guard questions
the original email was extinguished. This job was developed for
better security of our users! Curitiba team on Line.
been getting these to from Korea of all places. Odd.
Old 25th July 2001, 11:42   #138
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duk
Duk is the hottest man walking the planet. I want to meet him and love him madly all the rest of the days of my life."

For sure the work of one fucked up individual in that case
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2001, 11:48   #139
Duk
Major Dude

Ah my fans ... my crazy luvable fans.
Old 25th July 2001, 11:55   #140
mrsbladez

Whew ! Thx Duk.. never tried portugese on the translators

Would rather it said your version though lol.

(just kidding hubby, :smooch: love of my life and man who pays my cable bill, hehe )

Ok so he doesn't read this but ya never know
Old 25th July 2001, 12:02   #141
Duk
Major Dude

Whew! A sexy man hubby type person that pays the cable bill?! Now that must be the life. Think you could have him talk my lovely wife inta doing the same for simple ol' me? My powers of persuasion seem to elude her. Odd ... wonder why? lol

Damn dialups. I'm done with the virus thingy. Bring on the hackers and firewalls! Wheee!
Old 25th July 2001, 12:08   #142
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duk
Think you could have him talk my lovely wife inta doing the same for simple ol' me? My powers of persuasion seem to elude her. Odd ... wonder why? lol
'Cos she's a sensiable person , too damd good for you , I'll take her off your hands if you like, give her a good home with a normal kind of fella
Old 25th July 2001, 12:12   #143
Duk
Major Dude

I'll bet you would you dirty ol' man! Whatz da matter, harem not big enuff already?
Old 25th July 2001, 12:14   #144
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duk
I'll bet you would you dirty ol' man! Whatz da matter, harem not big enuff already?
Always looking for new recruits
Old 25th July 2001, 12:17   #145
Duk
Major Dude

And on THAT note, I'll bid you good night as afternoon for you turns to wee early morn for me. Let's see if I can conjure up a few ass whippin' dreams. Yeah, I'll getcha good!
Old 25th July 2001, 12:19   #146
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duk
And on THAT note, I'll bid you good night as afternoon for you turns to wee early morn for me. Let's see if I can conjure up a few ass whippin' dreams. Yeah, I'll getcha good!
Yeah get to bed and keep that lovely lady warm, before I come over and do it for you

See you in the next sun phase bro
Old 25th July 2001, 12:44   #147
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

on the note of the virus spreading....check this out.

Check this:
20 Recieve Virus
1 Open and Send
20K File Size

40 Receive virus
2 Open and Send
40k File size

80 Recieve Virus
4 Open and Send
60k File Size

320 Receive virus
16 Open and Send
80k File Size

640 Receive virus
32 Open Recieve
100k File Size

1280 Receive virus
64 Open and Send
120k File Size

1300 Receive Virus
128 Open and Send
140k File Size

-Several Generations Later-

640,000 Users Receive the Virus
32,000 Open and Send
1.1 MB File Size

1.2 Million Users Receive the virus
64,000 Open and Send
2.2 MB File Size

1001skins |
Old 26th July 2001, 01:19   #148
cyana
total eclipsed
(Major Dude)

something that amazed me is - I have around 20 email accounts, however only the one that I use here at winamp receives those virus mails. Has anyone a similar experience ? Actually, it started when my anti mad dog skin was published. Yup macaroon, I'm receiving 200-300 virus emails/per day at the moment. Fortunatly I have cable and so I'm online the whole time so all I need todo is to delete them from time to time. None of the persons from whom I get the mails I can remember ever having received an email before. So I'm really wondering how this virus engine gets the email addresses. Also, I'm experiencing an increase of the attachment file size - sometimes up to 1MB !!!!

Another thing - persons I know who are not in touch with winamp at all did not receive any virus emails. So this makes me suspicious that the virus intentionally has been fed with email addresses from here and maybe from forums similar like winamp.
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 06:02   #149
Dawnlyn

Just a thought...

I have received at least 39 of these in all 4 languages... I'll bet it's MAD DOG!
Dawnlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 06:37   #150
Mr. Bojanglez
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Bojanglez Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bojanglez Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bojanglez
hmm

what if mad dog came back as madder dog...bigger and madder?
Mr. Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 06:44   #151
Dawnlyn

It makes sense though doesn't it?

All of Mad Dog's posts are now removed from all of my skins... make sense that it's made him a little more pissy
Old 26th July 2001, 07:38   #152
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Re: It makes sense though doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawnlyn
All of Mad Dog's posts are now removed from all of my skins...
Let's not jump to conclusions. First of all it does take a certain amount of smarts to write a worm script. It seems to me that somebody who can type only "00" does not have that. Second, the worm started to spread long before Kyle removed the Mad Dog ratings.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 07:56   #153
Mr. Bojanglez
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Bojanglez Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bojanglez Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bojanglez
hmmm

i thought that 00 thing mad dog did was a bot..there is no way he could of typed that many zeros..
Mr. Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 07:57   #154
Dawnlyn

Oh well.. it was a thought!

I did not start getting the "worm" emails until Kyle removed the posts. Oh well.. it was a thought!
Old 26th July 2001, 08:14   #155
wnsknr2k

Quote:
Originally posted by cyana
something that amazed me is - I have around 20 email accounts, however only the one that I use here at winamp receives those virus mails.
i read what you said cyana and i begin to wonder why the addresses related to winamp are being bombed. it has to be someone that got pretty POed when something went wrong with him/her here. this leaves me with these questions: could this person send this worm into the site and if so, can the staff do something to remidy the situation?
Old 26th July 2001, 08:45   #156
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Mad dog related, heh,now there's a chuckle, how conceited are we to think were the only one getting them cos we made skins heh, FYI, I have had this virus in just about every mail box I have, skins, the one i use for "mod" duties, even my desktop mail box at work has been bombarded by them over the last couple of days

We is just all victims of chance.

On a lighter note, I wish I'd never created this thread lol, look at size of the damd thing
Old 26th July 2001, 08:58   #157
wnsknr2k

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
On a lighter note, I wish I'd never created this thread lol, look at size of the damd thing
i see what you mean...lol.
Old 26th July 2001, 09:02   #158
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by wnsknr2k
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
i see what you mean...lol.

I know, 5 pages is wayyyyy to long, people won't stop posting in it , ooops
Old 26th July 2001, 09:08   #159
wnsknr2k

who knew itd be such a popular topic? i didnt! did you?
Old 26th July 2001, 09:16   #160
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

NO LOL,

Say something really outrageously controversial so I can lock the damd thing and be done with it LOL , course I'd have to ban you as well, your choice really lol
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins