Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins

Old 26th July 2001, 09:24   #161
wnsknr2k

uhh...i think ill refrain from sayin anything that will ban me, lol. i quite like it here on the forums so i wouldin like to be shut out so soon...lol.
wnsknr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 10:44   #162
rintaro82

hi all, i want to put my 2 cents in on this thread (more like a rope!).
i've been getting slammed by this thing for what seems like weeks. it was hitting my skin feedback account like many of you have stated. i also thought it was '00' boy. i've been getting close to 20 emails a day and i've also been getting 'inbox too full' messages.
i was simply deleting them for the longest time and then decided to try and figure out what it was. i didn't want to download an attachment to even look at it, so i did a websearch for "I send you this file in order to have your advice", part of the email message. i came across a couple sites which told me it was the SirCam.A worm virus. once i found that out and searched for SirCam.A, i finally got some good info.
in a nutshell, this virus attaches itself to your computer in the recycled folder and, as stated by others, emails itself to everyone in your address book. it uses either english or spanish, depending on which language the victim's computer is set up for (i don't know what it does if you're set up for a different language). also, if there's no default email address stored in your registry, it attaches '@prodigy.mx.net" or one of 3 other isp's to the default user name as a return address. it infects a random file in your "my documents" folder and sends this as the attachment (hence the varied size of the email). this virus is also supposed to start deleting files if your computer is still infected sometime in october. an estimated 1 out of 20 people infected have contents of their harddrive wiped out immediately (due to their system clock being set wrong, i've read).
once i found out what it was and basically how it worked, i started replying to the senders. in summary, i tell them "you have the sircam.a virus. go to this website for info and removal instructions". i include a link to symantec's website with the info i found. i also tell them to avoid strange attachments in the future. my hope is that if enough people remove it and tell their friends, this thing might vanish (kinda naive thinking, but hey, i'm a dreamer).
basically, i wanted to sum up all of the pertinent from this thread. most of it has been said, but not all in one post. i hope this helps someone!

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...oval.tool.html
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...4633%2C00.html
http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa071801a.htm
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virus...=TROJ_SIRCAM.A
rintaro82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 10:48   #163
Duk
Major Dude

I could think of one or two things that would get me banned. Hmmmm ... wheels turning. Of course, far worse than getting banned from the forums would be upseting a pal.

Yeah, the thread is just like the virus ... big, bigger, biggest and growing.

On topic. I think why so many skinners seem to be getting hit (mind you I am/was getting the crapola in multiple unrelated boxes as well) is perhaps because ... just a thot, not sure of this ... the virus looks thru the cache of browsers to harvest e-mails as well. Lotsa people visit here every day ... lotsa people who are likely infected. Either that or one of our many friends lurking out there signed us all up.
Duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 11:38   #164
Mr. Bojanglez
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Bojanglez Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bojanglez Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bojanglez
hmmm

i could end this thread by making an advertisment..people get their threads locked like that without getting banned...
Mr. Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 11:47   #165
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Re: hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bojanglez
i could end this thread by making an advertisment..people get their threads locked like that without getting banned...

Depends what you advertise......
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 12:33   #166
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
how about posting a link to the goatse guy pic....would that lock the thread without getting me banned?
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 16:07   #167
cyana
total eclipsed
(Major Dude)

'satura tota nostra est'

Vere, fortunatu'st ! Amicus meus, quid est causa tuam saturationem ?

BTW, shouldn't it read 'satura tota nostra sunt' (plural) ?
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2001, 18:02   #168
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
Quote:
Originally posted by Duk

On topic. I think why so many skinners seem to be getting hit (mind you I am/was getting the crapola in multiple unrelated boxes as well) is perhaps because ... just a thot, not sure of this ... the virus looks thru the cache of browsers to harvest e-mails as well. Lotsa people visit here every day ... lotsa people who are likely infected. Either that or one of our many friends lurking out there signed us all up.
you are absolutely right about that.
The virus also collects every e-mailaddres it finds in the cache and on websites people visit. So every time someone comes to see some skins, it collects large amounts of addresses, it also checks other e-mails in your inbox and collects there aswell. So is I would have clicked the file, i would infect more than 2000 people. since I search in the skins/plugins category's and I'm recieving a newsletter send to more than 1000 people at once, (so I have all their addresses)

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins