Old 23rd December 2010, 15:56   #1
eliment

Getting Listed in the Windows Media Player Directory????

Ok after analyzing my streams traffic being listed in the Shoutcast Directory has been absolutely the best for traffic to my stream. So I started looking into other directories to get listed in to see if they would have a positive impact on traffic. I found the method to get listed in Itunes which I already did (**fingers crossed**) but for the life of me can't find any info on getting listed in WIndows Media Player or Real Media Player directories. Im more interested in Windows Media Player because the amount of stations with the same genre as me is very limited so I will have less competition on there. So my question is does anyone know how to get listed in Windows Media Player's Directory? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
eliment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:30   #2
Greg_E
Major Dude

#1 encode stream to WMA

#2 use a windows media server or silverlight

As far as anyone has ever found they will not take Shoutcast streams.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 02:17   #3
eliment

Wow...thats depressing... thanks for the Info
Old 24th December 2010, 06:55   #4
ServerRoom

Perhaps you can broadcast in both formats, SHOUTcast and Windows Media and you'd be listed in both directories.
ServerRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 12:45   #5
Architect

How do you get added to the iTunes directory?
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 16:04   #6
eliment

@Architect - I found this and Tried it..

http://forum.internet-radio.org.uk/f...nes-radio.html

Hopefully it works....All I Gotta do now is just wait and see if they accept my Station

@ServerRoom - I dont even know HOW or WHAT TYPE of host I would need to Broadcast in WMA..but I am looking for an answer..Do you know how?
Old 12th February 2011, 12:06   #7
eliment

Just and Update your stream doesnt need to be WMA..and your server doesnt need to be a windows media server... Microsoft has a bunch of hoops to jump thru though to get listed in their Directory (you have to sign a contract and your .asx file has to be done according to their guidelines also you have to link to them from your site and your logo has to be high quality 300x300 pic) but for me it was well worth it..it gives my station more credibility and I noticed a slight increase in traffic to my stream..

http://www.windowsmedia.com/radioui/...&culture=en-us

page 3 you will see my station TM101 Radio..and my server is Shoutcast and my stream is 128kbps .MP3 (btw they wont accept a stream under 128kbps)

BTW this is the same directory on WIndows Media player which pretty much is on every PC with windows nowadays..

It was a hassle and took about 1 month but it was well worth it..anyone thats interested in getting listed just llmk and i will share the details..
Old 12th February 2011, 17:54   #8
oshay1069

please post your findings eliment...trying to list on windows media is driving me nutz!
oshay1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:55   #9
eliment

LOL..i was getting ready to do a whole write up on it but i found this thread about it...

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324819

its a great ebook to read and on page 17 it tells you how to get listed on Windows Media Player..btw this way in this ebook is way easier then the what i went thru..
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
listed, windows media player