Old 1st November 2011, 13:51   #1
jns1985

Thumbs down Winamp is Overkill for Shoutcast Users

I'm a huge of fan of the Shoutcast network of radio stations and play stations very frequently. I've tried a number of android streamers including Winamp, Xiia Live, Retro Radio, etc. I've had good experiences with Winamp in streaming Shoutcast stations, however the app gives users much more than just Shoutcast. For some users that have music stored on their devices, that's a good thing. For others like me that only use the app for streaming, it's not such a good thing. Not to mention, it appears to make the app much more of a resource hog than it should be.

When running on my Droid Incredible, the app usually occupies some 40-50 megs of memory. This a huge amount of resources to occupy for users only streaming radio. How about creating a separate, lightweight player which is focused entirely on Shoutcast? IPhone users have this type of app and it works wonderfully from demos I've seen. If nothing else, how about porting the Shoutcast IPhone app over to android? For the time being I'll be switching to Xiia Live as it offers a focused Shoutcast solution with more station management options than Winamp.

I'd definitely be willing to switch back if this type of app can be offered!
jns1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
android, shoutcast