Old 1st January 2017, 19:34   #1
omegaluke

mkv problem

I have a few videos formatted as mkv. They have all played great before, but today when I went to play one, it first played super fast, with no sound, then when tried again it doesn't play at all, just jumps to the next item on my play list.

If someone could tell me first off, what information you need to have in order to assist me, and second of all what could be causing this problem, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you

Luke
omegaluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 19:46   #2
omegaluke

oops its seems its not all mkv just these 2. the ones that work are showing up as mkv:A_AAC, V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

the ones who dont play right are
MKV: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
MKV: V_MS/VFW/fourcc
Old 1st January 2017, 20:39   #3
ryerman
Major Dude

Maybe these will help:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=155680#mkv
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....11#post2959611

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 21:10   #4
omegaluke

I checked all the settings and they match exactly what was on those pages.
Still some mkv will play and others wont.
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:15   #5
PeterK.
Quinto Black CT Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaluke View Post
Please remember that mkv is not a file format but a container. Setting up Winamp to Play mkv will probably not work properly since not every mkv container includes video and audio streams which were created using exactly the same codec.

The same problem applies to playback of mp4 files.
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 19:58   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaluke View Post
I checked all the settings and they match exactly what was on those pages.
The information ryerman linked to describe alternate ways to get video playback working in Winamp when the official Winamp decoders don't work. So what exactly are you doing?

You also indicated in post #2 above that the files that don't work have video content, but no audio content. What are you using to determine the formats used in your video files? I suggest you use MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) to query your files, if you're using something else. It will tell you the video and audio formats that are being used in the files and which decoders are needed to play them. Sometimes video files have the wrong file extension applied to them which causes Winamp to use the wrong decoders. In other words, maybe some of your mkv files are not really mkv files.

Have you tried playing the files that don't work in Winamp in VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html)? If they play in VLC (which uses it's own built-in decoders and doesn't just depend on the file extension to determine which decoders to use) and you are using the DirectShow work-around in Winamp, then you probably do not have the necessary DirectShow splitters and/or decoders installed and/or properly configured in Windows. If they don't play in VLC, they probably have been corrupted in some way, especially if the files that work contain the same video and audio formats as the files that don't.

Winamp can be setup to play all the videos that VLC can play, but it can be a lot of work to install and configure the required DirectShow splitters and decoders in Windows and ensure the proper file extensions are being used. It can be fairly simple when older common video formats and mono or stereo audio formats are used. It gets complicated when new video formats and/or multi-channel audio formats are used.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 3rd January 2017 at 21:15.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 04:52   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi omegaluke,

I forgot to mention another possibility. Some of your video files may be secured by a digital rights management (DRM) scheme. Software needed to play DRM secured files is usually not free. Here is a link to some info on DRM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 20:53   #8
omegaluke

ok here is the mediainfo for one of the videos (the one that is giving me the most problems).
Attached Files
File Type: txt vid.txt (6.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 10th January 2017, 15:37   #9
PeterK.
Quinto Black CT Developer

The video codec used here is not up-to-date anymore, this might be the issue why you cannot play this particular video file anymore.

Download HandBrake and encode the source file once again using the H.264 (or even H.265) video compression.

PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 01:51   #10
omegaluke

ok reconverted it with handbrake as recommended, and the audio now plays but no video.....while other videos converted with handbrake using the same method work....guess those files must have been damaged or something. Thank you all for the help.
Old 17th March 2017, 09:30   #11
Sunderlandgreen

mkv problem

MKV files no sound issue can often occurred. When in that condition, the first thing you can do is to check whether you have carelessly mute the player, if not, then open your player to adjust audio settings to check "Enable audio" option.
Sunderlandgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support