Old 25th December 2010, 06:07   #1
eliment

Newbie Question about switching Shoutcast Server Providers....

Ok I had My stream hosted by this one company for 3 months now but their customer service has been rather slow for me. I have to wait 2 days for a reply to an email and email is the only way listed on there site to contact them. Soooo I did some research and found another Company to go with that has better everything but my question is this..If listeners have my stream bookmarked in their player (whether Winamp o whatever) will that be affected..or will they have to rebookmark everything..and also all the directories Im listed in (besides shoutcast) will I have to edit my listings for the new stream?

Im thinking yes I have to edit all the directories im listed in and my listeners will have to rebookmark my stream...BUT I JUST WANT TO BE SURE...

sorry for the newbie question though..but i put alot of work into my station in the 3 months i been up and running and would hate to lose any listener over a switch in service..
eliment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 07:31   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Im thinking yes I have to edit all the directories im listed in and my listeners will have to rebookmark my stream...BUT I JUST WANT TO BE SURE...
you are right

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 01:28   #3
ServerRoom

Every time you switch providers, you'll end up on a different server, which means new IP address or server name. You will have to edit everything. The best thing to do is to let your listeners know in advance.
ServerRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 18:26   #4
eliment

Man thats a bummer cuz even though I only been up for 3 months I put so much work in to get listed in directories and to get listeners...

I got another question though how do I relay my stream..i want to have one stream at 128kbps and one at maybe 64kbps or 96 kbps for my listeners on mobile phones and slower connections...how do I relay my 128 kbps stream to my lower bitrate stream so both streams are streaming the same thing..? I have a centova cast control panel and im thinking I use the "Relaying" tab under the "Configure Server" option and just put the higher stream ip and port number where it says streamserver and port.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:10   #5
jaromanda
Forum King

use sc_trans to transcode ... or if you're streaming from shoutcast DSP, set up multiple streams, one for each format

"relay" relay's the stream AS IS, no transcoding

Old 27th December 2010, 01:17   #6
eliment

Ok thats what I though for going live but how about if I am on AutoDj cuz we only have 1 show on the station that we do live once a week and the rest is autodj'd
Old 27th December 2010, 01:24   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

do you use sc_trans v2 for autodj?

Old 27th December 2010, 01:26   #8
eliment

naw auto d/j is in the centova cast control panel on my shoutcast server I just upload the music to the server and it automatically shuffles and plays the songs
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support