Old 26th August 2007, 16:02   #1
ulillillia

GameBridge Genesis display distortions

For about 6 months now, I've had this issue and I'm out of ideas what could be the problem. First, to best explain, I'll post a screenshot:

View 720x480 screenshot

This is the original Bubsy for the Genesis. Note the distortions. Every system I've tried works (NES, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Gamecube, and a VCR) except the Genesis. All systems, even the Genesis, works fine on two different TV's. These are various things I've tried:

1. Hooking the Genesis cable into another RF adapter that I know for sure works. No change occurred, even with 2 of them.
2. Obtaining an official RF adapter rather than the one I had. No change occurred.
3. Tried different games (Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Bubsy, Crue Ball, and a Magic School Bus game). All get the exact same effect in the same way.
4. Tried setting the channel to 4 instead of 3. I still get the exact same thing.
5. Reinstalling the driver and software (with a reboot after uninstalling then another after installing). There are no newer drivers available so it can't be updated. This didn't help either.
6. I tried fiddling with the connection to move it around to see if I can get better connectivity, but all this alters is the amount of static I get.
7. I searched Google to see if others were having this and it seems like I'm the only one with this issue.

Looking at the screenshot, if you're not familiar with the game (and likely the level (level 11)), you'd have a hard time making out what things are. You could probably make out the score, but not enemies, the land, even your own character. Normally, when on my TV, I can get from the low area near the water to this near the top in about 10 to 15 seconds. Playing with the distortions takes well over a minute due to having to pause the game to see what things are. I got the screenshot through first playing it on my TV, then, when I got here, switched the RF cable from the TV to GameBridge 1410 then recorded a video. I took one of the stills. I've tried just about everything that I could think of and have run out of options. I do not want to use an emulator due to the legal issues I've seen with them. I mainly just want to record videos of oddities I do (as I've uploaded many of these to YouTube with another being processed while I typed this).

Edit: I forgot to mention that the audio is just fine. It sounds different solely because different speakers are used than that of my TV.

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
ulillillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 22:46   #2
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

It could be that the console is on its way out.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 08:21   #3
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Bad connection between the cartridges and the console? I would try cleaning out the cartridge slot if I were you.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 02:18   #4
ulillillia

I forgot about this thread on these forums.... According to what I've learned, it comes down to standardizations. Back in the days the Genesis was commonly known, like before Windows 95, video game consoles didn't have standardized output systems. TVs and things can compensate for this but things like GameBridge appear to follow more strict rules and due to this nonstandardization, GameBridge isn't able to compensate for it and thus causes the distortions. The NES is also like this, but the video isn't distorted, rather, it's about 2/3 as bright (white, FFFFFF, shows up as AAAAAA and sky blue, 4080FF, appears as 2B55AA). The games are completely playable on the NES, but not on the Genesis due to the distortions. If only I can find my SNES, I could try that out. I haven't seen it in years by now....

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
ulillillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center