Old 28th January 2011, 22:24   #1
glebonator

Please implement exit button

I'm now sure why, possibly due to Apple backgrounds, but a lot of programs don't provide a dedicated 'exit' option, winamp being one of them. Why is that? All the good and stable Android programs, like Slacker do it.

Please provide this for WinAmp, because pausing a stream and pressing home (or back a lot of times) is NOT quitting.

(and no, i don't mean 'hide your process in the background', exit should really exit, if i wanted to background something i'd press home)

p.s. also +1 to car mode with big buttons, radio stations etc...
glebonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 23:22   #2
Greg_E
Major Dude

If you go to the "home" Winamp screen and push the setting button you will find an exit choice, but this is the only screen it can be found on so you always need to go back to home to exit. I'll try to upload an image from my Archos in a minute.

That said it still shows Winamp in the background so maybe it doesn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb-20110130-182128.png
Views:	125
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	48435  

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 19:18   #3
glebonator

Yeah, I felt really dumb when I discovered (like 10 minutes after posting this) that there actually is an exit button... would be interesting to find out what the remaining background process actually does. Thanks!
glebonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 20:56   #4
CODY21

yea, there is an Exit button -- just wish it would actually STOP the entire WinAmp Task. It just leaves it running in the background for whatever reason. Even when I "KILL" the task, it wants to start up again ... WHY ????? Please allow us to control which APP we want to eat up our memory.
CODY21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:14   #5
Greg_E
Major Dude

Apparently this is an Android issue. Android loads all apps at boot and sticks them in the background. Even after you kill them they eventually get started again. There are some apps in the market that say they let you choose the apps to load at start up, but all the free versions require services that I don't want to give them so I haven't tried any of these yet. Since the platform is becoming very popular and the virus writers are starting to look at the possibilities, I've started to really pay attention to what things an app wants to be able to use. GPS, network, phone, storage, and recorder all on the same file utility generally mean they are either spying on you, or stealing stuff from you. One of the latest is an audio recording app that listens to your phone calls and records things that might be credit card numbers and passwords. Since it was an audio recording app you wouldn't think twice about letting it have access to storage and the audio structure, but it sort slides the other stuff past because few people actually read and think about the services that an app wants to use. Time to get smarter or become infected.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android