Old 11th September 2011, 12:53   #1
djpax

File sorting

Hi, does anyone know how I can sort the files in the library to my likings? I want to sort artists' albums by the year they were published, i.e. I would ike to have all my AC DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc etc albums listed by their publication year rather than alphabetically. Thanks.
djpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 20:33   #2
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

In the album list (by default on the right), hit the 'year' button

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:52   #3
djpax

Thank you for your reply. It's not working. When I hit the year button it sorts everything by the year not just by a single artist albums. I suspect Winamp can only sort files by one criteria at time. So I can only sort either by artist or by album or by year but not by all together (in case you know some competitors mediamonkey and mediacenter allow you to sort that way). Am I right? I hope to be wrong cos I want to use Winamp as my library manager (altough it seems to be quite rigid as a file manager). Thanks.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:15   #4
DrO

there's a long thread asking for what you want in the wishlist forum (which never guarantees being considered for any inclusion / development) and to my knowledge nothing is likely to change in that behaviour (though i'd like to be shown to be wrong).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 22:26   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

So, I new pair of really great boots is out of the question?
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:43   #6
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

What am I missing here? See attachment, it seems to work fine for me?

I selected Audio and hit the 'Albums' button, sorting by the total amount of albums from that artist.
I selected Dream Theater and hit the 'Year' button in the right window. The albums are now sorted by the year they were published. In the window below I see every track on that album.

If I want to see more artists, I can use CTRL to select more artists, or just select All (NUM artists)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ML.png
Views:	73
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	49142  

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:46   #7
DrO

WotL: it's cumulative sorting which is wanted, like how Explorer does it so sort by A and then by B which Winamp doesn't do - it just does sort by A.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 16:52   #8
djpax

Thank you everybody for your interventions. It is cumulative sorting I am after (although I didn't have any idea that that's how is called) and I have been confirmed it's not an option (and probably will never be). Regards.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions