• Show
Clear All
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

BUG: very short tracks skipped

win7 32bit
    5.61, with very few DrO type 3rd party plugins

basically, if you have a very short audio clip, say 0-2 seconds, and its part of a set (say sharing the same album tag) then it often is skipped when playing that "album" back.

i thought that maybe i had the crossfading feature on, but i don't. if i directly click on the file, it plays fine, but as part of the playlist, it gets skipped.

Egg, can yo please confirm and get this fixed for next release? seems like a high priority bug to me, to have short clips totally ignored within a [scratch] playlist.
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

that would be something that's been going on between the input + output plug-in for years and i've had it happen all the way back to the 2.x days.

decreasing the output buffer to something below the size of the file will usually allow it to play. i think it's been looked into in the past but never a satisfactory fix was created for it that didn't then break other things.

-daz
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• MrSinatra
      Forum King
      • Dec 2004

using a low buffer isn't desirable for obvious reasons.

surely there must be a real solution? perhaps its time they looked into it again. i haven't noticed this problem with other applications.

maybe some kind of logic needs to be employed, to carefully "look after" short duration clips in a playlist, and handle those somewhat differently?
      --

Comment

• MrSinatra
        Forum King
        • Dec 2004

related:

Did you find a bug in Winamp? Can you reproduce it? Let us know, we'll try to fix it as soon as possible!
        --

Comment

• MtPlease
          • Jan 2016

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
          that would be something that's been going on between the input + output plug-in for years and i've had it happen all the way back to the 2.x days.

decreasing the output buffer to something below the size of the file will usually allow it to play. i think it's been looked into in the past but never a satisfactory fix was created for it that didn't then break other things.

-daz
          Hi Daz, I've just come back to using Winamp on my old pc. It's great to be back.

Problem is that I've noticed the same thing as the OP that a bunch of my short clips are being skipped. I don't want to lower the buffer so is there another way around this?

I'm using V5.65 by the way. Thanks.

Comment

• DJ Egg
            Spectral Techorator
            • Jun 2000

1. Only Winamp 5.666+patches is supported
            2. Decrease "buffer-ahead on track change" value in out_ds config

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

Egg, Benski, DrO, etc...

i can't speak to how things work under the hood, but i have to say decreasing buffers, even if it works, seems like a very undesirable solution to me.

i would like to suggest a new option be included, that allows machines with sufficient RAM, to fully load into memory, the next 3 tracks in the playlist. i think that would fix the issue and also provide sufficient coverage for most crossfading scenarios.

possible?

(in addition, such a feature that was "aware" of the upcoming tracks in the playlist, could then make possible two features i have asked for previously, "smart crossfading" and "smart replaygain." smart crossfading is the idea that normally u have crossfading of whatever user duration, UNLESS album tracks are being played in sequential order, and in that case crossfading is temporarily disabled. similarly, smart replaygain enables track gain on everything, unless sequential album tracks are detected, and then in those cases album gain is used instead, on only those tracks).

Do you have a great idea about Winamp? Let us know and maybe your features will be in the next release!

Did you find a bug in Winamp? Can you reproduce it? Let us know, we'll try to fix it as soon as possible!

Do you have a great idea about Winamp? Let us know and maybe your features will be in the next release!
              --

Comment

• Aminifu
                Forum King
                • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
                ... smart crossfading is the idea that normally u have crossfading of whatever user duration, UNLESS album tracks are being played in sequential order, and in that case crossfading is temporarily disabled. ...
                What if the album is just a sequential collection of tracks that you want to crossfade, instead of an album meant to be played as a 'set piece'?
                Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• MrSinatra
                  Forum King
                  • Dec 2004

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                  What if the album is just a sequential collection of tracks that you want to crossfade, instead of an album meant to be played as a 'set piece'?
                  simple, don't use smart crossfading, just use regular crossfading as u do now.
                  --

Comment

• Aminifu
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
                    simple, don't use smart crossfading, just use regular crossfading as u do now.
                    Oh (reading too fast), I thought you were talking about replacing the regular crossfading. Wouldn't it be just as simple to turn off crossfading when it's not wanted, as switching to another kind of crossfading?

Anyway, I'm sure some would find the feature useful.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

Wouldn't it be just as simple to turn off crossfading when it's not wanted, as switching to another kind of crossfading?
                      no.
                      --

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

Does the short file issue occur for mp3s with full file buffering enabled?

Comment

• MrSinatra
                          Forum King
                          • Dec 2004

Does the short file issue occur for mp3s with full file buffering enabled?
                          meaning what exactly? describe the setting, where/what/etc?
                          --

Comment

• Aminifu
                            Forum King
                            • Aug 2011

Winamp is able to read an entire mp3 file into RAM before starting to process it. The setting is on the "General" tab of the Winamp Preferences configuration options for the mp3 input plug-in "in_mp3.dll".

But on second thought, I don't think that will help with the buffering problem. The relevant part of the code must not be able to handle partially filled buffers correctly.

Comment

• HarryMiz
                              • Nov 2016

BUG very short tracks skipped

A minimal working sample without dependencies other than LWJGL that reproduces the issue would be very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X