Old 11th January 2005, 18:44   #1
bbb_uk

No video (sound ok) when playing back MPG2 videos

WinAmp 5.08 Clean Install - using 'Standard' installation
WinXP Pro SP2, AMD 2800+, 512MB RAM

The problem:-

Whenever I use WinAmp to playback any videos encoded to SVCD & DVD spec (according to TMPGEnc Plus) the video is either blank or only the first frame is displayed BUT the soundtrack is ok and continues to play normally except for video prob.

If I encode a video (again using TMPGEnc) to VCD, or try playing back anything that was done in any other video format (avi, etc) then there are no probs at all.

As it plays back videos encoded to VCD spec and no other specification (concerning MPEG video anyhow) I'm assuming that it is just MPEG 2 videos it has problems with - not MPEG 1 encoded videos.

I have done several tests including re-encoding a video to different formats (VCD, SVCD & DVD, etc) and it does only appear to have problems with anything encoded in MPEG 2 format.

WinAmp tells me it using DShow to decode the video which is why I suspect DShow is either buggy or DShow has a compatability issue with something else installed on my system.

When using any other media player (PowerDVD, WMP v10, the older Media Player 6.4, etc) there are no problems - just when using WinAmp

If applicable, the only other software I have installed that may have installed a codec are Nero v6, PowerDVD v5 and DVD Movie Creator v3.

I have tried removing all the above, etc but WinAmp still has problems playing MPEG2 encoded streams. WMP & Media Player 6.4 have under the different tests I've done, used the PowerDVD MPEG decoder and the Nero MPEG decoder with no problems.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11th January 2005, 19:03   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Sticky: No pictures when playing Videos / Internet TV
Old 11th January 2005, 19:59   #3
bbb_uk

gaekwad2,

I had already visited that post and it didn't work so I assumed this was a different problems as I know its just MPEG2 encoded videos I can't play - all other videos play fine.

Just thought of some other software that may have add their own video codec, they are: RealPlayer, QuickTime v6 & Indeo video codec.

I've assumed that DShow is WinAmp's built-in codec in which case is there anyway of making it use another appropriate video codec as they seem to work (WMP uses them with no prob)?

If necessary, below is further info about DirectX and video driver:-

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Card name: Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: Rage128 PRO (AGP 4X)
DAC type: Internal DAC (350Mhz)
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (16 bit) (100Hz)
Driver Name: ati2dvaa.dll
Driver Version: 6.13.3279.0000 (English)

Thanks again for any help on this.
Old 11th January 2005, 20:15   #4
gaekwad2
Foorum King

DShow is using the same installed DirectShow filters as WiMP.

Now in my experience some of those don't seem to work with Winamp, which is why I posted links to alternative ones.

You could also try Stinky's MPEG2 codec (I never tried it since I'm perfectly happy with Gabest's).
Old 12th January 2005, 12:15   #5
bbb_uk

gaekwad2,

Prob sorted. Thanks for that.

I must have missed the specific post when I was scanning through it.

I didn't need to try Stinky's codec as the ones quoted in your other link worked.

Thanks again.
Old 19th January 2005, 17:26   #6
Oscar Spong

Re: No video (sound ok) when playing back MPG2 videos

Quote:
Originally posted by bbb_uk
WinAmp 5.08 Clean Install - using 'Standard' installation
WinXP Pro SP2, AMD 2800+, 512MB RAM

The problem:-

Whenever I use WinAmp to playback any videos encoded to SVCD & DVD spec (according to TMPGEnc Plus) the video is either blank or only the first frame is displayed BUT the soundtrack is ok and continues to play normally except for video prob........
........I have tried removing all the above, etc but WinAmp still has problems playing MPEG2 encoded streams. WMP & Media Player 6.4 have under the different tests I've done, used the PowerDVD MPEG decoder and the Nero MPEG decoder with no problems.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks
See my post:19-01-2005 "two Winamp Bugs"
Regards,
Oscar Spong
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports