Old 21st January 2005, 22:25   #1
ryankarins

Winamp crashing

I have been a user of Winamp software for a long time and have had minimal problems. Lately though, Winamp has been crashing whenever I close it, which was only mildly annoying since Winamp still worked. Then today I downloaded and installed a plugin that allows Winamp to play .flac files. After the install completed Winamp crashed, and now it has decided to crash on startup rather than at close, making it impossible to use now. I have tried reinstalling the current version to run in modern and in classic mode and keep getting the same results - WINAMP NOW CRASHES ON STARTUP.

I admit that my computer isn't the best out there. It's almost 5 years old with a Pentium III/650, 384 MB of RAM, currently 6.45 GB free on my C drive and about 45 GB free on my other newer hard drive, and I still run Windows 98 SE because I just haven't gotten around to upgrading to XP yet.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem (besides getting a new computer), I'd love to hear it. Overall, Winamp 5 has been great until the past few months - had the features of 3 and the stability of 2, but this new problem is just terrible - considering that I've been building my music library around Winamp because Real Player and Music Match annoy me, and iTunes doesn't work on anything before Windows 2000. I sincerely hope that there's a solution out there for this problem because I would really hate to see Winamp (and its kick-ass MilkDrop visualizations) leave my computer.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.
ryankarins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 22:06   #2
siebe83
Forum King

When you reinstalled, did you follow the instructions lined out in the clean install procedure? You might want to give that a try.

If you want, you could copy your Winamp folder to another location first, for backup purposes (so you could for instance just copy the Plugins/ml folder back to have your old Media Library database back). But try it clean first.

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 08:09   #3
ryankarins

Thanks for the help and the link. Cleaning everything out and reinstalling from scratch is just what I needed. Sorry about being impatient and not finding the post you linked for me - been having a lot of little annoying computer problems, and when the music goes I tend to get a bit pissed off. Anyway, thanks again for the advice. :-)
ryankarins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 09:20   #4
xLambx

I'm assuming you didn't hit the "Crash" button?

-Lamb
xLambx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 09:34   #5
siebe83
Forum King

You're welcome and happy listening!

(Don't mind this xLambx person; he's quite annoying)

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support