Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Old 24th May 2000, 22:10   #1
AndyB

Send a message via ICQ to AndyB
I keep getting this error on my linux server:
yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (Connection refused)

I checked the FAQ, and it says:
"This typically means your server is not visible from
the Internet. The usual cause is that you're located behind a firewall.."

ETC, Well I don't get why, I can connect to the stream from any other connection (I've tried on different networks, etc) but yp still seems to kick me out like this.
I'm on BT internet in the UK, which does block ports under 1024, but I use default 8000 so its not that (and i wouldn't get connections to the stream if it were that)

Ideas? Suggestions? :-)
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2000, 23:19   #2
Mr.Gone

I've been getting the same error, which didn't occur prior to sunday (I'd first set up my server on friday evening/saturday morning, and at that time it was talking to yp.shoutcast.com without any problems). I'm currently running 98SE's Internet Connection Sharing service, which could be causing the problem.. but it's confusing that this problem wouldn't have existed the first time I ran the server. I'm connected via @Home cable, btw.
Old 24th May 2000, 23:24   #3
Mr.Gone

Whoops.. The error message I'm receiving isn't exactly the same as this. Instead of 'Connection Refused' on the second line, I'm getting 'Connection Timed Out'.
Old 24th May 2000, 23:43   #4
AndyB

Hmm, it is over the last few days I found it.
But I killed off all the stream processes on the linux box, and restarted them (and restarted winamp on my desktop) and it seemed to cure it.
Maybe another bug??
Old 25th May 2000, 04:44   #5
Upyeronson

Strange too! I've tried to ping yp.shoutcast.com:80 and I get a timeout error. I'm hearing that it's Shoutcast blocking out all the Icecast streams. I have icecast and I'm wondering...if everyone else who's having problems are Icecast streamers!
Old 25th May 2000, 08:28   #6
JJ Stone

I've been using SHOUTcast 1.1.0 for win32 on an NT Server almost a year now without a problem. All of a sudden starting about Sunday or Monday, I'm getting the EXACT same error. Only way to get around it was to upgrade to the 1.6.0RC2 version of the server. They must have made some change that locked out the older servers. Kinda sucks because 1.6.0RC2 is giving me a lot more problems, but at least it lists in the directory.

JJ Stone
jjstone@netrockradio.com
Old 25th May 2000, 09:38   #7
Jay
Moderator Alumni

It's the new security feature I am sure, that's when Tom added it.

KXRM www.shoutclub.com
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2000, 09:50   #8
AndyB

I wondered about the new security coming in, mainly after the past couple of days some idiot was attacking the system and putting their supposed stream at the top of the shoutcast listings.

But, I am using the latest version, so it still must have this problem at times.
However doing the kill, etc solved it this time.
Old 26th May 2000, 00:58   #9
ojms

Send a message via AIM to ojms
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndyB:
I keep getting this error on my linux server:
yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (Connection refused)

I checked the FAQ, and it says:
"This typically means your server is not visible from
the Internet. The usual cause is that you're located behind a firewall.."

ETC, Well I don't get why, I can connect to the stream from any other connection (I've tried on different networks, etc) but yp still seems to kick me out like this.
I'm on BT internet in the UK, which does block ports under 1024, but I use default 8000 so its not that (and i wouldn't get connections to the stream if it were that)

Ideas? Suggestions? :-)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
for give me if I'm wrong but how are you viewing this webpage, http is sent on port 80 so if BT blocks it then you can't post messages here.

It's probably that you aren't connected to the net at the time.

ojms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2000, 09:55   #10
AndyB

I hate to tell you this but I am a system administrator at an ISP, so I know when a machine is connected and when it is not :-)
They simply put an ignore rule for the usual ports under that range, 80 for http, 25, smtp, etc.
Old 26th May 2000, 23:04   #11
AndyB

Found more info, this problem is when your machine uses spoofed IP addresses.
What this means, is my machine is connected to my isp's firewall server with one IP address. [e.g. 62.6.75.182]
That ip address then passes through to the outside internet, on a different ip address (but still reserved for only me to use)
[e.g. 212.140.88.214]

The shoutcast software picks up on my INTERNAL ip address [62.6.75.182] and since this is not open to the outside world it cannot connect, and so gives our friendly:
"yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (Connection refused)"

Now, as Nullsoft rightly says the firewall needs to allow port 8000 and 8001, and if i tell somebody my OUTSIDE IP address it works fine, its just when yp trys to autodetect it, it fails.

I'm working on finding a way round it, but I think it will be more down to changing the source to account for this form of firewall/proxying.

Anyone from shoutcast/nullsoft wanna help/give info on this?
Old 29th May 2000, 01:30   #12
PauloAlto

Send a message via ICQ to PauloAlto
I've been having exactly the same problem, also using BTFreeInternet...
Its a big problem - what's the point in broadcasting if noone knows where to tune in?!
We really need help from Shoutcast, has anyone contacted them about this??
PauloAlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2000, 08:10   #13
peppert
UID 0

It's all in the online docs under troubleshooting. Obviously if yp can't reach your host then people from the Internet can't either. You need to map the SAME port on your NAT/firewall/whatever to forward to the internal address of the shoutcast server on the port you run shoutcast on.

-T
peppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2000, 16:06   #14
AndyB

Okay, i've been through the FAQ's and documentation and set everything I could, so I contacted BT, who gave this reply:

"Dear Mr Brown,

Many thanks for your email regarding your problems using shoutcast software.

BT Internet do not block any ports, including 8000. The modem sharing
programs which you mention in your email are used localy - on users
computers, rather than on BT Internets servers.

I would recommend you ask a variety of different people to connect to your
server, if they all receive the same ''Connection Refused'' error please get
back to us and we will investigate further.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us."

VERY usefull

No further forward then, so its not being blocked by my ISP, its not being blocked/masked by my linux box, as otherwise it would do the SAME on my other dial-up connections.

Go figure

andy@acomm-hosting.co.uk http://shoutcast.acomm-hosting.co.uk
Old 30th May 2000, 09:01   #15
Deth Hermit

Send a message via ICQ to Deth Hermit
Well, both my roommate and I have this same issue. I remember in a previous version of SHOUTcast our server addresses were not correct on the SHOUTcast site due to the firewall our ISP has setup. I thought that the new version was supposed to circumvent that issue.

DH
Deth Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2000, 09:06   #16
Deth Hermit

Send a message via ICQ to Deth Hermit
BTW, I am getting the (connection refused) error, not one of the others mentioned in this thread.

And this is my system information:

Windows 98 SE
Winamp v2.62
SHOUTcast Server v1.60rc2/win32
SHOUTcast Source for Winamp v1.10 (dsp_sc.dll)
NetShow Tools (latest version available from SHOUTcast.com download pages)

DH
Deth Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2000, 13:41   #17
Rinibin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.Gone:
Whoops.. The error message I'm receiving isn't exactly the same as this. Instead of 'Connection Refused' on the second line, I'm getting 'Connection Timed Out'. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... I'm also using internet sharing and I'm getting the same error... Grrr... Plus I don't have a firewall, so I don't get why it isn't working...

Old 1st June 2000, 19:28   #18
Jaap

Well, I also get the extended error, but only on my 2nd pc (the one not 'directly' connected to the internet). I have windows 2k installed and I'm using the 'Internet Sharing' option so I can use the internet on both of the computers. So, I think my 1st pc (directly connected) is blocking ports including the 8000 and 8001. So:

*** Does anyone have an idea on how to OPEN these ports??? ***

It should be possible, since I control my internal network myself. BTW: I'm using windows 98 on the 2nd pc.
Old 1st June 2000, 20:10   #19
AndyB

Unfortunately Jaap I don't think this is possible because of how Micro$oft made its internet sharing. Basically it will ONLY do browser proxying.
You need to use some other software such as Wingate to map ports in the way you'd need.
Or why not install the shoutcast server on your 1st pc, and then use the second to broadcast to the first. This doesn't need any firewall settings, as it just uses your regular lan.

Hope that helps.

Andy@linuxnetworking.co.uk http://www.linuxnetworking.co.uk http://shoutcast.acomm-hosting.co.uk
Old 4th June 2000, 12:43   #20
Rinibin

&gt;&gt;Or why not install the shoutcast server on your 1st pc, and then use the second to broadcast to the first. This doesn't need any firewall settings, as it just uses your regular lan.

That's exactly what I did and it doesn't make a difference.
I guess I'm doing something wrong. I'm using a live365 server now and in fact it does work, but I'd prefer running my own server. Bleh.
Old 4th June 2000, 16:54   #21
ojms

Send a message via AIM to ojms
AndyB,

If you log on to your linux box as root you need to set it up so that you can use ports under 1024. The normal setup is that it blocks any ports under 1024 unless this is changed (for security purposes) (I spelt that wrong didn't I??)

------------------
Oliver Stirling
ojms@bigfoot.com
ojms.co.uk
ojms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2000, 19:44   #22
AndyB

This is not the problem unfortunately, as my linux box allows connections on ports below the 1024 range (telnet [23]works fine, so does http [80])
Remember, the problem ONLY happens when i'm connected up with BT internet, and not my other provider (redhotant), which proves that its NOT my machine/configuration thats at fault.

However, I have been speaking to BT, and whilst their solution doesn't help me, it might help somebody else, so here is what they said:

BT SUPPORT: "
The problem may be with the proxy settings your computer is using.

You will need to take a look at your proxy settings and make sure they are
disabled.

To check and amend the proxy settings, please carry out the following:-

-Click Start / Settings / Control Panel
-Double Click Internet Options
-Select the Connections tab
-Click the button labelled LAN Settings(at the bottom right)
-Un-tick the white box ''Use a proxy server'' (if it is checked)
-Click OK
-Highlight the BT Internet (If there is more than one you will have to
follow the below steps for each BT Internet connection)
-Click the button labelled Settings
-Un-tick the white box ''Use a proxy server''
-Click Ok, and Ok again
-Close the Control Panel window and try again"

------------------
Andy
andy@acomm-hosting.co.uk
http://shoutcast.acomm-hosting.co.uk
Old 16th June 2000, 17:30   #23
andrewxmp

HOLD ON HERE!!
I'm having this same problem with the "connection timed out". Maybe its just me, but take a look through these responses. Many of them are using windows internet sharing program.....so am I and i get the same error. I get the same error and i'm on the host machine, but i would like to know if all of you have tried setting up shoutcast on both the host and client machines. I've only tried it on the host machine so far but, as soon as i'm dun writing this, im going to go try it on the client machine, and then i'm going to try uninstalling the sharing program... If this works, i'll send a reply back but for now....
If you do get this, please e-mail me at andrewxmp@aol.com
thanx
Old 16th June 2000, 17:53   #24
andrewxmp

ok, i'm SURE that the culprit is the windows internet sharing, at least for the "connectin timed out" message. disable it and shoutcast wers, that simple. you can't go online though..hehe but....if anyone can find a way to fix this and still allow the use of the sharing software, i would LOVE to hear about it..so please post a reply or e mAIL me at andrewxmp@aol.com
Old 16th June 2000, 19:35   #25
CityHunter

Y'know, all this "connection refused" stuff with firewalls has me wondering... I don't have a firewall, but I DO have *two* NIC's in the PC... one directly to the outside, and the other with an internal IP back into a network (my way of bypassing a firewall - jumper around it temporarily). It's like paying HELL to get yp.shoutcast.com to recognize it.... I winder if this is part of the connection?

Of course, it STILL doesn't explain why my song titles won't output like they're supposed to!!!
Ray, Anime OldSchool http://24.221.67.52:8000

Well, forget what I said ... I just tried disabling the NIC back into the private network and rebooting, but Shoutcast still gives a NAK and a 404 error when it restarts. This combination of errors sucks severely!!

[This message has been edited by CityHunter (edited June 16, 2000).]
CityHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2000, 02:14   #26
rgoertzen

I'm having a similar problem. Using a cable modem. Running one host and two stations sharing the connection with windows 98se sharing connection. Both the stations can listen to the mp3's but no outside my network can. Anybody figured this out yet?
Old 29th August 2000, 11:08   #27
oh2sly

I am with Big Pond cable in australia and since they implememted their new cache service the other week I have been getting the "connection refused" I get an IP listed in my server log though that when you dns it comes up as the Victorian proxy that I run through. Does your error when using BT list an IP? and if so where does it go?

On the same note, I would like to say that Big Pond suck for not helping me at all with this problem and informing me that I was breaking my connection agreement by "running a server".
Old 29th August 2000, 12:08   #28
DJ_Splash

Send a message via ICQ to DJ_Splash
I get these in my logs (as previously discussed)

&lt;08/29/00@02:17:07&gt; [dest: 205.188.245.32] starting stream (UID: 13090)
&lt;08/29/00@02:17:08&gt; [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
&lt;08/29/00@02:17:08&gt; [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (404)
&lt;08/29/00@02:17:09&gt; [dest: 205.188.245.32] connection closed (1 seconds) (UID: 13090)

It then after +/- 3/4 hrs changes to this
&lt;08/29/00@11:00:18&gt; [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com touched!

which is great.

1. I am not behind a firewall
2. I have a proper IP address
3. I have a fast link to the internet

? any ideas? must be with the shoutcast server or the yellow pages.
DJ_Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2000, 13:18   #29
hankskorea

yeh i got that message, too
but there is no problem in broadcasting
if you guys don't wanna see that message, Just change like this

PublicServer=NEVER

I don't know this is right
but i can't see that message anymore ^^

hankskorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2000, 19:51   #30
mdevinc

Send a message via ICQ to mdevinc
Anybody ever think it's something SC did to their config?

------------------
Mike Devincentis
Vice President/CTO
LinkAmerica.net
http://www.linkamerica.net
"Your Internet Connection"
mdevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2000, 22:07   #31
Khopesh

The problem IS with Microsoft Internet Connection sharing. You need to open ports 8000 - 80xx where xx is the total number of listeners you allow. If you have Windows 98se visit this link,
http://www.timhiggins.com/sharing/icsconfiguration.htm

It's a 3rd party port mapper for ICS, really cool, if you go to the premade ones you'll find a shoutcast configuration.

If you have Windows 2000 look at this link,
http://windows.microsoft.com/windows...onn_config.htm

This will tell you how to map ports in W2K internet connection sharing. That should do the trick.
Khopesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2000, 22:33   #32
AndyB

Hi Everyone,
back to this old chestnut. By the way NO I still don't get listed. I get the following every 5 minutes in my logfile.

&lt;08/31/00@20:29:30&gt; [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
&lt;08/31/00@20:29:30&gt; [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (Connection refused 212.159.1.1:8000 check shoutcast.com troubleshooting)

And 212.159.1.1 is the firewall at my ISP. I also changed from BT to PLUSNET, and guess what.
ANOTHER stinking firewall, and here we are TWO more releases of shoutcast server, and no change.

BTW: putting in PublicServer=NEVER into your config simply stops your server trying to add itself to the yp.shoutcast.com listing. Doesn't really solve the problem, just hides it

(BTW: This is separate to the Win2k and 98 connection sharing problem. This IS down to what Khopesh describes)

have fun everyone.

------------------
Andy
andy@livemusicontheweb.co.uk
http://www.livemusicontheweb.co.uk
Old 31st August 2000, 23:50   #33
Khopesh

Well, seems you have a different problem entirely. However, if you do use any variety of Microsoft internet connection sharing you do have to perform the previous port mappings or you will get a similar error, only it will return your IP in the error message. Sucks your ISP decided to implement a firewall.
Khopesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2000, 23:11   #34
Murda

I run a station called GameCast which focuses on the gaming community. I'm running 3 servers for myself and have 5+ running by other people. From what I know, my two windows based servers encountered the same problems periodically. But, I ignored them and they righted themselves quickly. An easy way to check if you are still accessible is to check with www.shoutcast.com and search for your station. Otherwise, simply restarting your server sufficed for me.

From what I've read, some of you have had problems which do not seem to be shoutcast's fault. For those, I have no answer as I have not encountered any such for myself.

The way which normally works is to kick your cable modem/adsl and then kick your computer. Then pray and kick again. If your foot breaks before the server works, then, well... DAMN! If the comp breaks before the server works, then, well... DAMN again! Hopefully, all will right itself.

- Murda

GameCast Radio. http://www.gcast.org/
SC : http://www.gcast.org:8000/
irc.gamesnet.net / #gamecast
Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2000, 03:32   #35
BIGDADDY

Khopesh, as mahir would say - I KISS YOU! That ics port mapper is shweet..
BIGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2000, 07:41   #36
skinnypup

ok, someone else pointed out that their streams are not getting the song titles updated. mine either. others are getting total connections refused. i updated to the 171 server and 1.5 dsp and thought, damn, 'I' broke something. fall back to the old versions and still nothing. i don't think everyone here broke their server a couple days ago. something is going on on the shoutcast side!!!

i am jonesing without my titles!!!

help!!!

S.P.

just had a thought.... maybe the new winamp. gonna go rollback that and see what happens, winamps been pretty buggy lately too, yeah, in fact, the last bug fix took care of some dsp issue, yeah, maybe not all fixed.... must go check.....
skinnypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2000, 08:00   #37
skinnypup

nope, still no titles, bummer.....

i recently upgraded to win2k, could this do it?

still think its in the shoutcast side though.

anyone have any suggestions?

sumthin' wackey goin' on.

SP
Old 8th September 2000, 09:42   #38
skinnypup

nothing on older winamps:

2.05 - no song titles
2.62 - nak and extended 404 errors
2.64 - no song titles
2.65 - no song titles

found one cool thing with winamp. uninstall deletes everything, including all your skins. hope ya backed them up!
Old 8th September 2000, 09:46   #39
skinnypup

almost forgot.... winamp now fails to register drmclie.dll at install now.

incompatible w/ win2k server?

i give up at this point.....

Old 8th September 2000, 10:09   #40
Snake

Send a message via ICQ to Snake
I have been running Winamp 2.64 and DSP 1.50b on Windows 2000 Advanced Server since June and have not experienced any of those problems.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions