Old 20th September 2013, 17:06   #41
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

JPEG Artwork is not just about the dimensions, it is about the JPEG Compression options. Between the two of those they will effect the file size.

Think about the screen you will view the artwork on. If just on your MP3 player's tiny screen, then a small 300x300 highly compressed would be fine. But, if you want to play the tunes back on a 50" HD TV set then you will think about 1920x1080 sized artwork with low compression. It is the latter that I often use, but I personally don't embed the artwork.

There is no "one answer fits all" solution here. It is just personal choice, personal needs.

MP3TAG is always a good tool to have to hand for embedding artwork.

discogs.com has some very good artwork - including those obscure albums.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 17:57   #42
Aminifu
Forum King

The following site has very good high resolution artwork.

http://www.albumartexchange.com/

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 18:30   #43
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I myself began with Amazon, then I had discovered, Discogs is much better.

Mostly I download the album art directly, where I get also the music: Internet Archive, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, the websites of the netlabels themselves etc. But I have to visit each SoundCloud-Track directly to get the full image-size instead of only 400x400 pixel, and at first I have to "Switch back to the Classic SoundCloud", because with the "New SoundCloud" I see no "Download artwork"-Button anymore, if I visit the track. I will have problems, if "More" (top right) > "Switch back to the Classic SoundCloud" (top left) will not be possible anymore some day.

I also get very often a demo-track from an artist-colleague & friend, and then I have to visit the Facebook-Profile and the photo-albums of this artist. Mostly I get very good images from the photo-albums, and if they are nearly the image-format 1:1 or directly in 1:1, then I don't need to cut the images anymore, and I decide for the best images to embed them with Mp3tag.

Aminifu, I think, Your linked website is very good for well-known music, and many people listen to well-known music. I myself have mostly music, which is not well-known, and I doubt, that Gracenote will know the songs on my computer.

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 13:54   #44
lostinsound

If I can't find the art on the Album Art Exchange site I usually try Album Art Downloader next.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

It's kind of nice because it searches places like amazon and discogs (and a whole bunch of other places) all at once so you don't have to go to all of them separately.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:33   #45
nbinns

Aminifu and others, many thanks for all your contributions. I wish to view my album art without pixelation on an iPod touch screen, so from what everyone has said, I guess 500x500 or 600x600 pixels will do the job. Is mp3tag the best tool for embedding the image art?
nbinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:05   #46
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

That's the reason, why I prefer to visit each SoundCloud-Track to get the full image-size, because I think, 400x400 pixel would be not good enough. But for each subfolder in "SoundCloud Downloads" I save also the profile-picture of the SoundCloud-User as username.jpg and cover.jpg, and the profile-picture is only in 400x400 pixel, if it is in 1:1, or smaller, if it is not in 1:1. In such a case I save it as username.jpg, I cut it with IrfanView to 1:1 or to nearly 1:1, I resize it to the double size and then I save it as cover.jpg. I don't like it, if the album art is not in 1:1, because only 1:1 is 100% perfect for me, but I have to accept also the album art with the other image aspect ratios. I remember a downloaded track from SoundCloud, which came already with such an embedded album art. I have just checked it with Mp3tag, the embedded album art has an image-size of 480x150 pixel with 16 KB and with "Other" as info, and it is image/png...

At least Mp3tag does the job very fine for me. I don't know, if there is a better tool than Mp3tag around, but some other members here would know the answer...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 23:10   #47
neoikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicntc View Post
I downloaded a little Android app called Cover Art downloader. After running it once, the album art not only showed up in Winamp, it also showed up in the native Music player (which it had never done before.
I downloaded the "Cover Art Downloader" app, ran it, and it downloaded most all of covers, but when I run WinAmp, the album covers don't show.

Is there something special I need to do?
neoikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support