Old 12th November 2002, 22:17   #1
lunarboy1
Forum King

Using NSVenc

I noticed there really wasn't a NSV forum so I guess the next best place is right here. I was wondering how NSV compares to DivX and other vid formats in quality and size when not streaming. I understand that NSV is supposed to be amazing for streaming, but I was wondering how else it fares. Thanks.

Brian

(I'm thinking about converting all my movies from DivX and shit to NSV if things are better on the Nullsoft side of the fence)
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 22:29   #2
Sawg

NSV is not an actual video format. it is a container format. Nothing really stopping a DivX stream being in a NSV file.

What you are thinking of it it's default set-up of MP3/VP3. Both DivX and NSV mostly use MP3, so that can be ignored.

In short, DivX is better then VP3. Even by it's maker VP3 has been surpassed by VP5. Though VP3 is Open-Source (recently became Theora. So if you want to just encode things for non-streaming use, stick with DivX. (Or XVid if you want an Open Source solution).

Also, I'll see about getting NSV it's own forum.
Old 13th November 2002, 22:44   #3
lunarboy1
Forum King

thanks for the answers man
Old 13th November 2002, 23:31   #4
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
NSV is not an actual video format.
So what is it then? How can it be taking so long to program?
evil_oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 00:07   #5
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

It's a container format, like .avi. Inside the container could be audio, video, both, or even other kinds of data (for instance metadata like id3 tags or subtitles). I don't know if nsv does actually support these metadata or any or whatever, but that's just an example of what it *could* hold. The audio inside an .nsv or a .avi could be wav, mp3, ogg, or other codecs. Same goes for video, it could be encoded using divx, vp3, or xvid, or whatever.

And what's your basis for how long it takes to program? The ogg format was in planning for many years before anyone had ever heard of it.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 03:15   #6
evil_oj

well yeh, but ogg is a real format, like a new technology. if NSV just holds other formats wouldn't it be really easy to make?
evil_oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 03:23   #7
Sawg

Not really. Though it is just a container format, it's default is VP3 (and maybe VP5) and MP3. The encoders need to be made to take advantage of this. The command line encoders and FlaskMPEG crap. Plus the server support (it is Streaming). Then the decoders. Winamp3 has to have cnv_vp3 and cnv_mp3pcm for the VP3/MP3 streams to work. Also I doubt it Is the highest priority. Small company, lots of products. Besides, who knows what AOL is having them do with it behind the publics view.
Old 14th November 2002, 03:27   #8
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_oj
well yeh, but ogg is a real format, like a new technology. if NSV just holds other formats wouldn't it be really easy to make?
No, and no. Ogg is also a container format, vorbis is the audio codec inside. There will eventually be .oggs available with video (the theora/vp3 codec). But designing a container format correctly takes time, lots of planning, then testing, then coding, more testing, debugging, etc. I don't know anything specific, but I could guess at some things that Nullsoft would have to do to make nsv a really popular format. It should be playable even if you don't have the entire file, like a partial download or whatever. It should have lots of metadata possibilities. It should be extensible, that is, brand new formats should be possible to insert into a .nsv, just like it's possible to do with a .avi. And I'm no video/audio visionary pioneer, like the people at Nullsoft are. I'm sure there's a lot more things that NSV must be about, that we'll just have to wait and see. But it seems in the short amount of time since it was announced, it's already quite nice, and it's really developed to a semi-usable product much faster than some projects I watch, so I have to disagree with you about the perceived time it's taking. You think it's taking a long time, and I a short time. Regardless of whether it is perceived as long or short, it's taking exactly as long as it needs to. That amuses me for some reason

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 05:51   #9
lunarboy1
Forum King

In the past two months alone the version of the ActiveX NSV plug-in for IE has moved from .1 or .01 all the way to .99! Thats good progress!
Old 14th November 2002, 06:52   #10
jarsonic
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jarsonic
Don't forget that .nsv seeks very well, even when streaming.

- `Jarsonic

do justly | love mercy | walk humbly
jarsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 23:01   #11
lunarboy1
Forum King

yea.. what else is it super-cool-llama-whipped-optimized for?

(yea it seeks like a ________ {insert a really fast noun there})
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video