Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center

Old 2nd November 2003, 00:52   #1
Starbucks
Forum King

Does anyone know if Super Metriod is comming out for GBA?

Does anyone know if Super Metriod is comming out for GBA? It's a classic and I want it on GBA for my SP. That game is awesome.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 01:44   #2
xenosomething
Major Dude

nope i dont think it is...but that would be great.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 03:04   #3
Bob the Tomato

Send a message via ICQ to Bob the Tomato
I'm not so sure it's feasible. The SNES had a higher resolution than the GBA, so parts of the screen get cropped out on these SNES ports. This would be highly detrimental to playing Super Metroid, since some details on the edges of the screen are vital to progressing. They'd basically have to turn down the resolution, and then the game wouldn't look as good.
Bob the Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 22:30   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, if they never port Super Metroid to the GBA, it'd be awesome if they would recreate Metroid II in the same style as Metroid Fusion.

I'm not too worried about it, though. I'm patiently waiting for the next of the Metroid series for the GameCube.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 23:18   #5
Starbucks
Forum King

It would be possible without chopping resolutions because I have Yoshi's Island and the graphics is exactly the same as the one in Super Nintendo. Even if you compare GBA emulator vs SNES emu with the same game, the sizes of objects are the same, and so is the resolution. Only a handfull of games are higher than normal resolution in SNES. Let's hope it's not SM, they are already porting a lot of SNES games to GBA.
Old 4th November 2003, 08:25   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Most of what you think are SNES ports, are actually GBA re-writes from the ground up.

Donkey Kong Country everyone thought was a SNES port, but the devs and Nintendo say it's a complete new code base, with maybe imported graphics etc etc.

The fact that SNES games were developed to work on a TV screen alone buggers the straight conversion , the GBA screen is entirely the wrong ratio to emulate a tv screen correctly, so if you took an existing SNES/NES game etc etc, it would have to loose a good number of lines both horizontally and vertically to fit onto a GBA screen, there are ways around this, scrolling screen etc etc, but it usually looks shite.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2003, 08:50   #7
Starbucks
Forum King

Damn I didnt know that. I hope SM is brought to GBA.
Old 7th November 2003, 06:13   #8
musipal

Nintendo is usually pretty tight lipped about releasing info on their new games, and there is no word on a Super Metroid remake for the GBA. That'd be so frickin' sweet though.

There is a GBA Metroid game that is currently in development, dubbed Zero Mission. Rumor has it that it's a remake of the original Metroid for the NES, with updated visuals and sound of course.
musipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2003, 11:01   #9
Starbucks
Forum King

Is that the episode before Super Metroid?
Old 7th November 2003, 23:56   #10
sgtfuzzbubble011

If Zero Mission is indeed a remake of the original Metroid, then that would mean it's the first episode on the Metroid timeline. If my memory serves, Zero Mission would be followed by Metroid Prime, Metroid II (Return Of Samus), Super Metroid, and finally Metroid Fusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that...
Old 8th November 2003, 05:50   #11
musipal

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
If Zero Mission is indeed a remake of the original Metroid, then that would mean it's the first episode on the Metroid timeline. If my memory serves, Zero Mission would be followed by Metroid Prime, Metroid II (Return Of Samus), Super Metroid, and finally Metroid Fusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that...
/me touches nose.
Old 8th November 2003, 14:45   #12
sgtfuzzbubble011

Old 9th November 2003, 04:11   #13
musipal

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
Is that the episode before Super Metroid?
It was the very first Metroid game, which was on the NES. It's unlockable if you beat Metroid Fusion (GBA) and link up with Metroid Prime. 'Course I already have it on my NES so I just play it that way.
Old 24th December 2003, 04:55   #14
sgtfuzzbubble011

Nintendo has released a little bit more information about Zero Mission. And here's the box art. Zero Mission is indeed going to be based on the original Metroid, but rather loosly. Personally, I can't wait to get it.
Old 24th January 2004, 03:30   #15
sgtfuzzbubble011

While I was at the GameStop in the mall earlier this evening getting my clear Game Boy Pocket (posted here), my friend that works there also hooked me up with the Metroid - Zero Mission promo box. It's still in its original shipped condition and hasn't been folded for display. I know, you're saying "it's a friggin' box... what's so special about that?" Well, lots of people are going to have the box that the actual game comes in when it's released, but very few people will have the promo boxes. Anyways, I just thought I'd share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg metzeromisspromobox.jpg (48.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 25th January 2004, 06:35   #16
sgtfuzzbubble011

Also, metroid.com has been updated and now includes Zero Mission. Not a huge amount of shtuff there yet, but it's got a few cool wallpapers, some screenshots, and a few video clips. Plus, the website layout is cool.
Old 4th February 2004, 23:25   #17
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Played Metroid Zero, beat it, it's not all that, fun for an hour or two, but nothing special.....
Old 4th February 2004, 23:27   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

How'd you get a copy so fast?
Old 4th February 2004, 23:35   #19
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Illegally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0025.jpg (39.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 4th February 2004, 23:35   #20
sgtfuzzbubble011

Of course. I should have known.

And come Monday, I shall be highly enjoying my LEGALLY ACQUIRED copy of Zero Mission on my GBAsp. I'm sure you think it wasn't all that just because it's not the real thing. The real thing is ALWAYS better.

[edit]
Btw, nice photoflash there.
[/edit]
Old 4th February 2004, 23:39   #21
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

No, really, didn't think it was that great, thought the other one was better, fusion, had more depth to the game I thought, plus I didn't finish it in 2hrs 36.

I have just bought a legal copy of prime however for the cube and played the original NES Metroid on there as well, and zero plays pretty much the same.

Good, but not fantastic.

Finished two games today, Baldurs Gate and MZero, Baldurs took over a week, more game for your money.

/yeah, whadya expect, batteries running down on cam, rushing to get a snap before they expired
Old 4th February 2004, 23:58   #22
sgtfuzzbubble011

Uh huh. Suuuure.

Well anyways. I never played the original Metroid all the way through, so this will be new for me. I can't compare Fusion and Zero Mission yet as I haven't played the latter yet, but I will agree that Fusion does have great gameplay. As a matter of fact, I just beat it again for the third time this past weekend. I'm working on Return Of Samus, now.

Oh and you said you just got a copy of Prime, also. What do you think of it so far?
Old 5th February 2004, 00:05   #23
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99

Oh and you said you just got a copy of Prime, also. What do you think of it so far?
Difficult to say really as I've spent more time playing Zelda Windwaker , went on a bit of spend festival at the weekend and picked that up as well, was half price in toys r us, double disc edition as well, so far I've been giving that some serious play time, I just love the look of it and how it plays, sheer joy.

However, I've played prime, and finding it a little tough to get into, the game just dosn't seem to be coming to me, maybe the inital dificulty is just a little steep, however, it looks and feels great, and I do enjoy FPS, so I shall stick with it, I'm sure it will get better as I get into it, if it dosn't then no biggie, 'twas dirt cheap in the sales anyhow.

I'm not the first person to say this, I know a lot of cube fanatics who said similar things, that it was just dense to get into and interest soon dropped off
Old 5th February 2004, 04:07   #24
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, when I first picked up Prime (had it reserved and got it the day it came out ), I played it for several weeks straight until I beat it. I didn't play any other video games during that time. I can't speak for everyone else, but I absolutely love the game. The controls took a little bit to get used to, but they shortly became almost like second nature. The gameplay is great, and the attention to detail is nothing short of phenomenal. I have yet to play a game that impresses me as much as Metroid Prime.

Also, the fact that Retro Studios was able to blend advanced technology, genetically engineered biomechanical lifeforms, and huge spaceships with ancient ruins, frozen landscapes, and fiery subterranean caverns is a testiment to their abilities and creativeness. The fact that they did it so beautifully is nothing short of amazing.

Give it some time. This game will grow on you.
Old 11th February 2004, 02:48   #25
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just picked up Zero Mission today... Gonna give it a spin soon. Woot.
Old 12th February 2004, 03:36   #26
sgtfuzzbubble011

Been playing Zero Mission for the past hour now, and I love it. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is really good (I like Fusion's gameplay just a tad more, but this is still very good). And Samus looks awesome when she's speed boosting. Plus, the remixed music tracks from the original Metroid are top par. The detail in this game is great.
Old 12th February 2004, 04:45   #27
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just saw this.

I love PA.
Old 12th February 2004, 15:32   #28
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

You finished it yet 'sarge?, my time is out of the window 'cos I've been farting around trying to find all the hiden items and power ups, but still haven't got them all, best I can manage is 69% .

There are a ton of power ups I can SEE, but some of them just look impossible to get to, so I've given it up as a bad job, time to move onto something new.

Still, I got the Gallery, original NES metroid and "hard" game settings unlocked, I'd read somewhere there are like 8 different endings or somethings to get.
Old 12th February 2004, 23:43   #29
sgtfuzzbubble011

No, I haven't finished it yet. I'm trying to get as many items as possible on the first time through without a guide. I've actually made good progress, though. I've got 160 missles, 8 super missles, 9 energy tanks, the screw attack, high jump + jump ball, long beam, charge beam, ice beam, wave beam, bombs, varia suit, morph ball, power grip, and the speed booster. *whew*

So far, I've spent 5 hours and 20 minutes on it...
Old 12th February 2004, 23:46   #30
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I got bored with trying to find all 100% of the items, specially when I saw this with images of all 8 different endings...

WARNING MASSIVE GAME SPOILERS HERE, CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK

Kinky..
Old 15th February 2004, 02:41   #31
sgtfuzzbubble011

Samus is a hottie, isn't she? Those pics are going to make awesome avatars when I get the time to put my site back up...

Oh, and check out what I got.

My friend down at the GameStop gave this to me this evening. It's going to look really good on my wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mzmposter.jpg (22.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 15th February 2004, 09:47   #32
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

It warms my heart to see I'm not the only grown man to get excited about these kind of things
Old 15th February 2004, 17:50   #33
sgtfuzzbubble011

Old 21st February 2004, 07:08   #34
sgtfuzzbubble011

Finally got 'round to beating Zero Mission just a little bit ago. I managed 100% item collection, but I had some help on a bunch of them. And now, for me, the whole series of Metroid games actually makes a little more sense than it did before for some reason. It's not like I know things now that I didn't know before I played Zero Mission, but things just kinda 'clicked' if you know what I mean.

I'm quite impressed with Zero Mission. Well worth it.
Old 22nd February 2004, 10:44   #35
xenosomething
Major Dude

finally beat prime.....the game was great, didn't think a fps metroid was possible.

the game was pretty long for a metroid and i really didn't expect to take 18 hrs just to beat it.(but i did get 87% )

my only complaint is that the whole game wasn't as hard as the phazon mines....because everything just seems easy after fighting omega pirate.

.........?.
Old 22nd February 2004, 23:25   #36
sgtfuzzbubble011

The Omega Pirate is a badass, huh? He's my second favorite boss out of the entire game, second only to Meta Ridley. And actually, Meta Ridley is probably the most difficult boss in the whole game... because when you fought the Omega Pirate, it wasn't necessarily him that was tough, but it was the Power/Wave/Ice/Plasma troopers that came in and made things difficult. And Meta Ridley was even tougher than Metroid Prime itself in most respects... because the other metroids that came in during the fight made things rough. Meta Ridley didn't have anyone helping him. And you have to admit, he looks fucking awesome.
Old 23rd February 2004, 00:38   #37
sgtfuzzbubble011

Btw...

http://www.petitiononline.com/smetroid/petition.html
Old 23rd February 2004, 01:36   #38
xenosomething
Major Dude

:signs:

.........?.