Old 7th September 2012, 19:46   #601
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Beautiful! ♥
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 23:58   #602
rockouthippie
Banned

Domestic dogs don't fare very well without a people. We used to have wild dogs around here when I was a kid. They were generally wormy, dirty and sick.

If they "pack up" they can be really dangerous. 8 or 10 dogs gone wild in a pack is pretty scary. Packs like this can pick up your domestic dog pretty easy. Dogs gone wild isn't a good deal. Timid individually, they get really bold in numbers. More so than a wolf. I think it that dogs have for better or worse had the fear of man bred out of them.

I think BB would be a very bad dog without human intervention. She's naturally aggressive enough. I think it would be a problem. I lost a golden dum dum once for a couple years. He went wild. After 2 years, I found him in the back of my truck when I was shopping. I think someone stole him and turned him loose. How he found my truck 10 miles from home? I dunno.

Anyway... my happy dum dum... turned wild. Reversing that wasn't entirely successful. My happy dum dum turned into a sort of dangerous dog that wasn't entirely trustworthy anymore. Bit the shit out of my brother in law. I did manage to get his wild down to a dull roar, but this sure wasn't the goofy puppy I had. I came very close to having him put down. It was sort of a relief when he passed on, because I felt more like a warden than daddy.

So... wild domestic canines... not a good deal......... Dirty, wormy, hungry and not very afraid of humans. A wolf will generally go out of it's way to avoid people. Dogs don't. If you have one "go wild" you'll play hell fixing it.

Wolves are a problem with domestic dogs too. Domestic dogs (male) will join a wolf pack, get bred and then be killed by the wolves. For some reason wolves want dogs in their genome, but will kill them later.

Life on the farm. Gotta make sure the pooch isn't following a dog pack or getting enticed away by wolves. In the old days we used to tell everyone around that if they had a dog, they should collect it, because we were gonna shoot the rest. Nobody ever argued.

Now, with animal control, usually you don't see dog packs. You didn't want to. The community conscience of a pack of dogs goes to the lowest denominator. You've probably noticed this even with a group of dogs if it's only a little more mischief.

I think "doggie friends" are overrated. My mom said this to me once, and I think she might be right. She said "You're teaching a dog to be a dog. It might not be what you wanted to do" I let BB play with other dogs, but this is a supervised activity. Nobody should get too wound up. Stop means stop. For this reason, BB is pretty aloof of other dogs and will not rip my arms off if we meet another dog in the street. She needs permission to play. Until then, we sit and behave ourselves. We only play with good dogs that have equal training. Mainly that you can say "that's enough!" and they will behave.

But mom might be right. Does a dog really need canine companions or did you want to train them to pay attention to humans and ignore other dogs? I trained Daisy to be aloof of other dogs. With a Rottweiler, it's probably a good move. I'm more lenient with BB, and it might be a mistake.

It's a tough call. I know if you have 2 dogs, you must train them each individually and not lump them together as "the dogs". Maybe it's not such a hot idea to let your dog greet strange dogs in the street. I'm not sure the dog park is such a great idea either.

You kinda wanted your dog to be human centric. If they do play with other dogs, it should be dogs they know from people you know and both should stop when you say "That's enough!"

Stranger dogs are a problem, because you're never gonna be 100% sure the introduction is gonna be amicable. I've seen pretty decent dogs take a dislike to each other for no particular reason. BB is a bit of a handful. If she meets another bitch out in public, not a problem. If a bitch is in my yard, she gets nasty and territorial. Absolutely do not approach the males next door. BB thinks she owns em'. Daisy was the same way.

Another problem is you will have a hard time overcoming a bad introduction. Once dogs decide they don't like each other, it's hard to talk them out of it.

I notice a lot of the immigrant people here are deathly afraid of dogs. In countries with no animal control, it's probably a pretty reasonable fear.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th September 2012 at 01:29.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 01:42   #603
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
^that's probably the best for city and suburban places, and for rural places if the owner doesn't want to deal with the extra energy it takes to deal with slightly wild dogs.

Aside of my Akron, OH days I've been in rural areas where if dogs run a little wild, it doesn't really hurt anyone or anything. I've had at most 3, plus a bunch that belonged to the neighbors, totaling a pack of maybe 7. Most evenings they ran together and didn't get into much trouble, although once in a great while you'd have an incident where you'd run out and yell at them to stop harassing a neighbor's cow or stop shredding a coat that someone accidentally left out, or stop horseplay near things that could be damaged. We had an incident where one fell through thin ice at the lake across the road when they were running around; that was probably the worst thing we had to deal with, but that dog was fine after we finally helped it break enough ice for it to swim to shore. We were really scared at first though.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:56   #604
rockouthippie
Banned

There is a difference between dogs running wild and domestic dogs out running around with a bunch of other dogs. It doesn't take that much human interaction to keep them from getting wild. Probably what turns the tide is if they are hunting and scavenging for a food source. If people are feeding them regular, they usually don't get actually wild. It's like when we'd start shooting dogs. They weren't all wild. Many of the dogs who would have been shot were recovered by their owners. That's why you went banging on neighbor doors..... get your dog, because we're shooting the rest. This was always triggered by something bad happening, either dead livestock or once in a while, they'd threaten children. Lock and load.

I was watching a TV show about a place in Mexico where they started dealing with wild dogs by taming and training them at a resort. Instead of killing the dogs they started training, feeding and grooming them. Now the guests can pet the dogs they are so nice. The dogs figured out humans were pretty good to know if they are nice. The domestic dogs got territorial and now run off the wild ones. Win. Win. Nice to know it can work out that way.
Old 9th September 2012, 19:58   #605
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I think the big difference is what you said about being given basic needs, meaning they had less reason to cause trouble to meet those needs, since they were already provided e.g. why kill the cat down the street if you're just going to get good food when you get home anyway? They still chased cats up trees sometimes though, including our own.

Old 11th September 2012, 10:40   #606
rockouthippie
Banned

Dogs aren't Gods meanest critters. We have that distinction.

Feeling rather happy with myself for killing chicken stealing, menacing dogs, my old man asked me "Are you happy?" seeing a little too much bloodlust in his young son. I said "Shit happens. I did everything I could do, don't make me cry about it." Barney was just making sure I was on the same page.

None of the dogs I destroyed knew what hit em. I wouldn't do the same thing without being a decent marksman.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 11th September 2012 at 11:42.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:31   #607
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Dogs...♥
I thought this was cute and warm and sometimes true ,,,,,
Old 19th September 2012, 10:02   #608
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Cosmo
Old 21st September 2012, 10:35   #609
rockouthippie
Banned

Old 21st September 2012, 15:04   #610
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Awwwww, That's so cute....and I feel bad for him.
Old 21st September 2012, 16:17   #611
rockouthippie
Banned

BB hasn't done anything bad in so long I can't remember. The last thing was she swiped a pillow case off the clothesline. Maybe because it was red? She didn't hurt it, she just ran around with it for a while. Uh... when was that? Early summer I guess.

But I think I wasn't paying enough attention to her so we had a little outburst to get my attention. They will do that.

You gotta watch that. Sometimes the dog is misbehaving because it's got a problem. Maybe it's feeling neglected or a little ill. If you shame em' too much, you can really hurt their feelings.

Dog emotions aren't like ours, but I think their self worth is largely based on how they think we feel about them.

You won't get a dog guilt video from me, because I just yell at em and tell em' to get in their bed.... give em' a shun for 10 minutes... no.... I don't want you.... you were CHEWIN!... Get in your BOX! BB was a chewer. No other problems.

Then you forgive em' in 10 minutes or so... They won't remember what they did if you punish them longer. You can really shoot yourself in the foot that way. They really do want to be good.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:48   #612
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I couldn't agree more. I think most doggies want to be good.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:53   #613
rockouthippie
Banned

you can see it in their little brain cell... I'm such a good puppy! I so happy! I is a good puppy!! It's a tickle.
Old 1st October 2012, 16:47   #614
rockouthippie
Banned

Old 2nd October 2012, 20:16   #615
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Oh, how cute are you? ♥
Old 10th October 2012, 20:23   #616
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

But we don't know where you live?
Old 11th October 2012, 17:39   #617
rockouthippie
Banned

Not fast enough dad... we didn't want to wait for daddy to take the clothes off the line ( see I'm even green about clothes) ... we wanted walkies! *I'll bet I could get dad's attention if we stole his boxer shorts.

Damn. I can't even get mad at this dog. She was having such a good time killing my underwear. Running around the yard.... keep away.... lol.

No shorts or dogs were harmed in the making of this post.
Old 11th October 2012, 23:39   #618
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Awwwwww,,,,,Play Time........Nice you don't get mad at her.
Old 12th October 2012, 01:26   #619
rockouthippie
Banned

I like that she's confident enough to have a little mischief. She gets to be a dog. Why would I get mad? She was teasing me. The boxers went back in the wash. No dent. No foul.

She's sure a long way from that beat up puppy I got a couple years ago. I was looking back at some pictures from when I got her. No grin. No curly tail because it was between her legs... didn't know her name.... and fleas.... wow....

Now a beautiful 60lb girl and a good jester.

I know I posted this picture before:

But I think I get to brag. This little lady is buff. I'd make a fortune if she was a breed.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:13   #620
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Still pretty!
Old 13th October 2012, 01:44   #621
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It's a good picture and worthy of repoast. Mine are overprotective of the baby and will sometimes act a bit aggressive towards strangers if the baby is nearby. That was cute at first, but now it's getting hard to handle. They didn't used to be like this. Also, they think the baby is a licking toy. Also cute at first, but wastes baby wipes to clean up.

Old 13th October 2012, 12:22   #622
rockouthippie
Banned

BB doesn't like other bitches anywhere near her house, but HEY! will talk her out of it. You've always got that problem with strangers, even if you have a dog that isn't hard to socialize. The best you're gonna do is teach them is that most people are sorta halfway cool and that they shouldn't worry. Dogs are big worriers.

Quote:
Also, they think the baby is a licking toy.
Pretty soon the baby will own some dogs. They will likely dote on her like she was a little princess. First words... not mommy or daddy.... SIT!
Old 19th October 2012, 19:57   #623
rockouthippie
Banned

Old 21st October 2012, 00:09   #624
webthing
Forum King

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 21:40   #625
webthing
Forum King

Old 26th October 2012, 19:58   #626
rockouthippie
Banned

Almost as good as Shatner singing rocket man.
Old 18th November 2012, 01:13   #627
rockouthippie
Banned

Physics. 1 68 lb mutt dog. I 189 lb man. 1 40 lb daschund. 1 bike. Daschund attacks mutt dog. Mutt dog takes a 90 degree attack angle defending against the daschund. Me... 189lbs splats on the pavement like Garfield on a car window. Mutt licks daddy... ooops?
Old 18th November 2012, 10:14   #628
rockouthippie
Banned

Update: It isn't good when you're 50 to be launched over the handle bars by your dog. The flight was fine. The landing was a little rough. I am not truly hurt, just banged. It's like I told BB... "that wasn't so good"...."you're not supposed to kill daddy!" .. hugs...
Old 30th November 2012, 23:42   #629
webthing
Forum King

Old 1st December 2012, 01:41   #630
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Holy...

That just might be the funniest post of this entire thread.

Old 1st December 2012, 06:53   #631
rockouthippie
Banned

These are a bitch to groom, but I have a place in my heart for Keeshonden. They are absolutely fearless:

Old 2nd December 2012, 18:37   #632
rockouthippie
Banned

Hey BB take me to the store. 0.6 miles. I did not pedal once.... pulling me into a 15 mph wind... She can go for about 2 miles like that. It's puppy power
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:20   #633
floWerjen0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
I had to try and get the image outta' my head!
And a link for AVMA for Haiti Animal Rescue
Here
And if you're not depressed enough a link to a review of
Mine
They sure fucked that up. The clips are heartbreaking.
As a post script: Somebody go get Bandit from that fat, selfish bitch before she eats him.
This is an old thread, but I still want to comment. The video on Pedigree site is pretty sad. I hope those animals are being fed pretty good and there is time when they can actually leave their cells for a walk or something. It does not look like there is enough space for them to have a decent walk in that little space. I know there are food manufacturers such as lendafreehand who donate a bag of dog food every time you buy a meal to your own dog. I wonder if Pedigree or any other large brands are doing the same thing.
floWerjen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:20   #634
rockouthippie
Banned

Those dogs look a lot like the ones that we'd find our our local shelter. Yes, they are fed and they do get a walk in an outdoor kennel every day. It is a "kill shelter", but they find homes for a lot of their dogs.

Is Westminster dog show dropping Pedigree as a sponsor because of these dog commercials justified?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/ny...nsor.html?_r=0

Pedigree ran these ads other places and got $500,000 in donations for the shelter. I think Westminster thought the ads were a downer and a lot of people working at animal shelters thought it didn't paint them in a good light.
Old 6th January 2013, 18:51   #635
rockouthippie
Banned

OK. I know I'm old and trying to get into heaven now. I have the flu. At 4 AM, BB was steaming up my face. It's kind of cute. If she wants something while I'm sleeping, she'll just sit by me in bed and steams up my face until I wake up. At 4, I would usually say.

Get in your box.

But I remembered that I hadn't fed her. She usually gets fed about 10. I passed out.

I didn't feed you did I?

Then she stood on my chest. So I got up and fed her.

I am owned by my dog. Where did I lose it?

But it is interesting. The adult BB is very polite with body English can tell me a lot of things. I'm hungry. I'm thirsty. I'm cuddly. I need to go out. I wanna play.

The funniest one: Hey! I want something? Your pick
Old 11th January 2013, 03:38   #636
webthing
Forum King

Charles the dog was frolicking down the streets in Norfolk, minding his own business, when panicked passers-by started calling 911.

“I’d like to report a lion sighting,” a caller says.
“Say that again?” a dispatcher responds. A few minutes later, another call came in.

“I just saw an animal that looked like a small lion,” a man says. “Had the mane and everything … I don’t know if it got away from the zoo, or what.”

And the flurry continued, including one resident who tells the dispatcher that the “baby lion” is the size of a Labrador retriever.

As soon as the calls trickled in, the Norfolk Police Department contacted the local zoo to ensure both its lions were caged and accounted for.

Zoo workers scuttled to the lions’ cages, he said, but the big cats were fast asleep.
Police moved on to more pressing matters when they realized this wasn’t a runaway baby Simba from “The Lion King.”

Nor was it on the lam from the zoo.
It was a Labrador-poodle mix — full name Charles the Monarch — strolling down the streets after a recent visit to the groomers.

His owner, Daniel Painter, told the affiliate that the dog’s shave represents Old Dominion University’s lion mascot.

Charles has turned into a celebrity since his sighting Tuesday, and is making rounds on national morning shows.

He also has a Facebook page that chronicles his life as a “party animal.”
And the cuddly, fluffy pooch is not shy about his sudden rise to fame.

“Who wants a pawtograph?” the most recent post on his Facebook page asks.
The 3-year-old pup is clearly enjoying his role as the “mane” attraction.
Old 12th January 2013, 16:43   #637
rockouthippie
Banned

^ Cmon. How could you mistake that for a lion? What a bunch of dumb asses.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:21   #638
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

You better watch out, he'll lick you to death!
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 14:05   #639
rockouthippie
Banned

Dogs expressions show us their feelings and humans can read them like a book. What seems to be really strange is that humans who don't own dogs are actually better at assessing a dogs emotional state than dog owners. Is our understanding of dogs bred in our bone? They have been our evolutionary pal for 100,000 years.

http://goo.gl/KxuvW

The emotional state of BB dog is a little cryptic to me this morning. She killed a skunk last night. I am assuming since she's been bit that the skunk was likely rabid. She has her shots, so I think we're ok, but she's been sprayed, bitten and clawed. Coated in a couple gallons of tomato juice, I put a stitch in her leg... I went down to the farm supply at 5 am and got her some a m o x i l l i n. $12 and a sheep needle. We're not gonna spend $200 at the vet. I will, of course, use a vet if I need one. But fighting a skunk, being sprayed, being coated in tomato juice and being left out all night last night and getting a nasty shot with a sheep needle. Having daddy put a mattress stitch in her leg after flushing the gash with Iodine. Ouch. :C Poor baby. I know it freaking hurt. But the dog knew. Daddy only helps. This isn't the reaction of wild animals or even a cat.

Holy Smoly. This skunk must be a 10 pounder. What mutant skunk is bigger than a cat? I've seen a nutria get the better of a dog, but a skunk? She killed it, but she got a hell of a fight. This is what makes me think it was rabid. BB is not that aggressive. You could leave her with kittens and she wouldn't hurt them. Skunks are usually on the timid side. This guy sure wasn't.

Digg sent me this article this morning about how humans understand the emotional state of dogs, but I think it's sort of interesting that the dogs understand us too. That BB would let me soak her in tomato juice, run a needle through her leg, shoot her in the ass with a sheep needle and understand that I am only helping... she does understand that. That's pretty amazing.

100,000 years with canines. No other animal. Not a cat. Not a horse has the implicit trust that a canine will have in you if you're their pal. BB knows. Weird really. Maybe it's the hot dog I gave her when we were done.

In our proto-hominid past, they towed our carts, found our game and cleaned up our trash. Would we be here now if not for canines? They always seemed to be pretty happy with the arrangement.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th March 2013 at 15:54.
Old 10th April 2013, 22:42   #640
rockouthippie
Banned

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions