Old 30th April 2018, 20:17   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
in_opus plugin for Winamp 2 (release)

Hello, this is the first time I post on this forum, I wrote a plugin for winamp 2+ to support reading of OPUS audio files, so I decided to share it in case anyone would be interested.

I developed this plugin because I wanted to be able to play OPUS files with Winamp 2, both on my Windows XP machine and an old Windows 98 SE, That is still used for playing music and for retro gaming at my home.

I had to build myself the libraries because they include dependencies that are not present on this old OS.

The plugin was tested and works fine on Windows 98SE/NT4/XP/2003/7.

There is a very good plugin that was already written by thinktink but it only works for Winamp 5.

I provide this plugin for compatibility with old platforms. to my knowledge, this is the only Opus player for Windows 98. and some of you may still use Winamp 2 for some reasons.
Attached Files
File Type: zip in_opus.zip (111.6 KB, 478 views)
Ramon_Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 19:56   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
Doesn't seem to be working under Winamp 5.666 and a file encoded using oggenc:

ffprobe test.ogg
[ogg @ 0x98047c0] 550 bytes of comment header remain
Input #0, ogg, from 'test.ogg':
Duration: 04:33:21.47, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 41 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Audio: opus, 48000 Hz, mono, fltp
ENCODER : opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.10-71-32d4b475 AVX1 [Jun 3 2018]
ENCODER_OPTIONS : --bitrate 48

hairlessbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 09:21   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
To avoid any interference with the ogg vorbis files, my plugin only considers files with the extensions .opus or .opu. Try renaming the file and let me know; the plugin will in no cases be loaded if the file extension is .ogg.

Winamp 5 only knows ogg vorbis files and thus anything with the extension .ogg is assumed to contain a vorbis stream, in your case it contains an opus stream, the "proper" way to name those files is actually .opus, same container but different stream.

When I made experiments with various files it appeared that some opus streams would not be decoded by libopusfile, when they would work just fine with other decoders such as the one within Mplayer.

As I did not want to take time to try other decoders I just use ffmpeg to fix the file with the command:

ffmpeg -i broken.opus -acodec copy unbroken.opus

In case renaming the file does not work, try this...
Ramon_Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump