Old 11th September 2011, 16:58   #1
johnshaft

lame 3.96.4, goldwave 5.20, winamp 5.621

hi,

i'm running windows 7 x64 and using the above software, i encoded some WAVS to mp3 with the following settings selected using Goldwave:

VBR, 0 HQ, 224-320 kbps, stereo, include CRC

all encodes ok, however the resultant files display the wrong track times in winamp. They are all reported noticeably of much longer duration (does not seem to be a pattern for why)

inspecting the meta data of the files shows the correct duration

are there any known issues with this behavior that anybody has seen ?

it's the first time i've come across this personally - i'm not sure where and how to isolate the problem.
johnshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 18:54   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do you mean LAME 3.98.4?

did u try running mp3val or moonbases vbrfix on the file? sounds like your software is making bad headers which causes incorrect lengths in winamp.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 06:24   #3
johnshaft

Actually, yes 3.98.4 - sorry for that.

I tried fixing with mp3val using the GUI frontend, it reported the following errors, but winamp still displays erroneous increased track times. It shows wrong times in the enqueue window, but shows correct times when viewing file info:

Analyzing file "Z:\My Music\MUSIC\MORE_MUSIC_XIV\richard groove holmes\comin' on home (2m)\groovin' for Mr G.mp3"...
WARNING: "Z:\My Music\MUSIC\MORE_MUSIC_XIV\richard groove holmes\comin' on home (2m)\groovin' for Mr G.mp3": Wrong CRC in 1 frames
WARNING: "Z:\My Music\MUSIC\MORE_MUSIC_XIV\richard groove holmes\comin' on home (2m)\groovin' for Mr G.mp3": VBR detected, but no VBR header is present. Seeking may not work properly.
WARNING: "Z:\My Music\MUSIC\MORE_MUSIC_XIV\richard groove holmes\comin' on home (2m)\groovin' for Mr G.mp3": No supported tags in the file
INFO: "Z:\My Music\MUSIC\MORE_MUSIC_XIV\richard groove holmes\comin' on home (2m)\groovin' for Mr G.mp3": 9777 MPEG frames (MPEG 1 Layer III), no tags, no VBR header, CRC
Done!

Winamp file info (correct time):
Payload Size: 8013409 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 286 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
224 kbps, approx. 10962 frames
44100 Hz Stereo
CRC: Yes, Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes, Emphasis: None

i ran moonbases vbrfix and and it fixed the times. in all 3 test files it added exactly 417 bytes to each file (?)

thanks very much for the program tip - i appreciate it
Old 12th September 2011, 14:20   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

i assume the extra bytes are fixing the data in the headers.

mp3val is a very good app, fixes 85%+ of the issues i find. but for stubborn VBR issues, i do sometimes have to use vbrfix. i have 3 files that neither fixed, but these are real oddballs that only re-encoding will fix.

i suggest using EAC to rip mp3s. anything ripping for you that isn't making headers right should be dumped.

--
Old 12th September 2011, 17:09   #5
johnshaft

you mean rip 1's and 0's (or create mp3's) ?

i explored EAC a little earlier this year, but most of my collection comes from wax (wouldn't be right having groove holmes on cd)

still need to visit west coast customs for that in-car deck...
Old 13th September 2011, 03:46   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i assume the extra bytes are fixing the data in the headers.

mp3val is a very good app, fixes 85%+ of the issues i find. but for stubborn VBR issues, i do sometimes have to use vbrfix. i have 3 files that neither fixed, but these are real oddballs that only re-encoding will fix.

i suggest using EAC to rip mp3s. anything ripping for you that isn't making headers right should be dumped.
I agree mp3val, vbrfix and EAC are excellent apps. Have you tried "MP3 Diags"? It appears
to be more comprehensive than mp3val in finding and fixing MP3 structural errors.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 06:51   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

is this the app you mean?

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

i tried to see if it had any other updates or anything, but this looks confused:

http://www.google.com/search?q=MP3+D...x=&startPage=1

so i tried the sourceforge one.

it seems slow, but very indepth and technical. however, it got some files flat out wrong, not recognizing them as working mp3s.

i don't know why it thinks files should have a APIC frame?

i'm not sure i'd be comfortable with it doing things to my files.

what i was hoping to find, and this doesn't seem to do it, is an app that can identify all the "mp3 pro" and "mp3HD" files that might have snuck into my collection. i want to decode them to wav using their native codec, and re-encode as proper mp3s.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=89260

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=332819

--
Old 15th September 2011, 04:26   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

Yes I meant MP3 Diags hosted on Sourceforge. Sorry it doesn't do what you need.
I only have 'standard' MP3s in my collection (6000+) and I noticed that different
rippers and taggers were applying the MP3 specs in different ways. I went looking
for something that could fix (or rearrange) all my files so that they would have a
consistent structure. This app seems to do this for me. Yes it is slower than something
like MP3Val, but as you say it is very indepth. It has identified 'errors' in some of my
files that it could not fix, yet Winamp has no problem playing these files. So I'm still
looking for that "perfect" MP3 fixer. :-)

The developer is still working on it and should be releasing version 2 before the end
of the year.

As you know the APIC frame is for storing album art. I find it more convenient embedding
art in each file now that hard drive space is no longer an issue.

I will keep an eye out for something that can work with MP3 Pro and MP3HD in the
way that you stated.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
3.98.4, goldwave, lame, mp3