Old 18th March 2012, 20:15   #1
Spiderm@n

Send a message via ICQ to Spiderm@n
WinAmp can't get proper associaciations

Today I got a really annoying problem with WinAmp. So, I'm using WinAmp for quite long time, and it's pretty much a clean install, no additional plug-ins. The problem is, that since today when I double click an audio file associated with WinAmp (.MP3/.FLAC/.AC3/.AAC) it tells me that the file isn't associated with any app and sends me to search the web for program to open the file. The file has WinAmp icon. So, I tried re-assiciating - didn't helped. Removed associations and set them again with restarts after each operation - didn't help. Removed associations and set them from "Default Programs" from Windows - didn't help. Re-installed WinAmp - didn't help. Uninstalled WinAmp and installed it again - didn't help. Associated it to WinAmp manually worked but it appears as not associated to WinAmp in Preferences and Default Program, when I associated it through WinAmp again couldn't open it - didn't help. Deleted the registry entry for .MP3 and re-associated it to WinAmp - didn't help. Associated to another program and back to WinAmp - didn't help.
The file appears with WinAmp icon, is shown as associated to WinAmp in Default Programs and Preferences but when I open the Properties window of a associated file or open WinAmp associations list in Default Programs it's shown as "Open With: Unknown Application".
Any ideas how can I fix this, I really like WinAmp, the only other installed programs that can open such files I have installed are Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (associated to video only) and Microsoft Zune (since I own a Windows Phone 7 device that unf WinAmp can't sync, unlike my old Windows Mobile 6.5 that was using ActiveSync).
Spiderm@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 08:13   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Spiderm@n,

Select the extensions for the file types in Winamp preferences and enable the option "Restore file associations on Winamp startup'.

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, start Winamp at-least once with Administrator privileges. This allows Winamp to make changes to the registry.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 17:30   #3
Spiderm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi Spiderm@n,

Select the extensions for the file types in Winamp preferences and enable the option "Restore file associations on Winamp startup'.

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, start Winamp at-least once with Administrator privileges. This allows Winamp to make changes to the registry.
I have Admin Approval mode disabled so WinAmp always runs with admin privs. Also "Restore file associations" option was never disabled, and it actually "does" it's job, except when it associate the files to WinAmp, they are associated to "Unknown Program".
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:50   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm@n View Post
I have Admin Approval mode disabled so WinAmp always runs with admin privs. Also "Restore file associations" option was never disabled, and it actually "does" it's job, except when it associate the files to WinAmp, they are associated to "Unknown Program".
Not sure what you mean. I'm not suggesting setting the compatibility mode option. Just right-click on the Winamp.exe file and select the "Run as administrator" option. You should only need to do this once to allow Winamp to write it's entries to the Windows registry.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:05   #5
Spiderm@n

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. I'm not suggesting setting the compatibility mode option. Just right-click on the Winamp.exe file and select the "Run as administrator" option. You should only need to do this once to allow Winamp to write it's entries to the Windows registry.
There's no such option when Admin Approval mode is disabled from Administrative Tools, all programs are started as "Run as Administrator".
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:54   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm@n View Post
There's no such option when Admin Approval mode is disabled from Administrative Tools, all programs are started as "Run as Administrator".
Ok, did not know about that option. Is user account control also disabled? Weird that Winamp is not able to register itself as the app for the associated files. Hopefully one of the devs will take an interest in this.

Maybe try enabling Admin Approval mode and running Winamp as administrator just to see if anything changes.

Have 12 hour shift to do tonight, need to go to bed. Will check back tomorrow.

Old 23rd March 2012, 13:22   #7
Spiderm@n

Quote:
Ok, did not know about that option. Is user account control also disabled? Weird that Winamp is not able to register itself as the app for the associated files. Hopefully one of the devs will take an interest in this.

Maybe try enabling Admin Approval mode and running Winamp as administrator just to see if anything changes.

Have 12 hour shift to do tonight, need to go to bed. Will check back tomorrow.
Admin Approval is basically how how User Account Control is called in Windows 7.
Old 24th March 2012, 19:34   #8
Spiderm@n

Ok, problem solved, if you remove the option to show "Play in WinAmp" from Explorer Shell it starts giving the described problem, once that option is available everything is normal, seems WinAmp can't integrate in explorer properly if that option is not existing. May be it's an idea to remove the ability to disable that option ^^
Old 25th March 2012, 13:27   #9
DrO

can you provide a screenshot of that preference page as i'm struggling to visualise how you had things to end up in the scenario (which i actually think is probably correct especially if there is a chance that no default had been set).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 14:21   #10
Spiderm@n

All I did between those two screens is to remove the option in WinAmp Preferences and refresh the two opened windows
Old 25th March 2012, 15:36   #11
DrO

it's what i thought was happening and is working as would be expected in the scenario shown.

by unchecking 'Play in Winamp' and 'Enqueue in Winamp' you're removing any of the default file handlers and since 'Set Enqueue & Play as the default file action' is not checked, then there is nothing set in the Windows registry for mp3 (and other files) to be associated to Winamp.

maybe it shouldn't be allowed to be unchecked but then that goes against the purpose of allowing people the control they want for such things. i have made a note to look into it as time allows to make sure there isn't a bug in the handling or if something can be done but from what i remember of the implementation of things, i really don't see there being any change which can be done which then doesn't violate the way file associations are setup in Windows.

-daz
Old 25th March 2012, 15:44   #12
Spiderm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's what i thought was happening and is working as would be expected in the scenario shown.

by unchecking 'Play in Winamp' and 'Enqueue in Winamp' you're removing any of the default file handlers and since 'Set Enqueue & Play as the default file action' is not checked, then there is nothing set in the Windows registry for mp3 (and other files) to be associated to Winamp.

maybe it shouldn't be allowed to be unchecked but then that goes against the purpose of allowing people the control they want for such things. i have made a note to look into it as time allows to make sure there isn't a bug in the handling or if something can be done but from what i remember of the implementation of things, i really don't see there being any change which can be done which then doesn't violate the way file associations are setup in Windows.

-daz
May be just use the "Open" handler like other programs. That problem happened when I cleaned by Right-Clock menu from additional options, programs like Zune, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (I have 2 versions, 32 and 64 bit) work even w/o such element being set
Old 25th March 2012, 16:05   #13
DrO

it is using the normal open handlers. but when you uncheck 'Play in Winamp', it will be removed since that's what you've explicitly told Winamp / the JTFE plug-in (which implements that preference page) to do.

that is why i'm saying it is working as expected with how everything is coded since if you tell it to not be there, it is doing that. from what you've said, it sounds like you're expecting it to leave a dummy entry which still shows that Winamp will handle it without the 'play' association (which seems completely counter-intuitive to me).

really if you want just enqueue and play as the only option provided, you should be setting that as the default file action.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
association, file