Old 22nd August 2006, 18:09   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Winamp and wine

I got Winamp 5.0.6 to work with wine on linux. http://www.winehq.com/ But it's slow. How about a little optimization for Winamp under wine?. I know linux and OSX users would thank you.

I don't know how much trouble it would be, but coding around the trouble spots would probably be easier than changing wine. And then they'res millions of people who don't use windows that would beat a path to your door.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:31   #2
Xthar

that would be cool
Xthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:25   #3
DrO

i can see where you're coming from on this but really wine is what would need to have the fixes made to it rather than in winamp since i was always under the impression that wine was meant to provide a seamless re-implementation of the win32 environment. as such changing a working win32 program to work around issues on what is essentially an emulation layer doesn't quite make sense.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 10:33   #4
amano
Major Dude

rockouthippie: If you have some time left: Could you write a small but newbie friendly tutorial how to get winamp running with wine? And tell, what works and what doesn't?

Many users would be pleased by those efforts.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 20:45   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Look at the above link to get DCOM98 and install it "wine dcom98.exe".

Just use wine and the winamp install program to install winamp. (wine winamp506_full.exe).

What Didn't work:

Video
Winamp agent (don't install)

and it's too slow, even on a 3200 Athlon 64. But it does play clean if you don't move the mouse. I think that's mainly due to the UI. I don't think the UI is all that efficient in windows either, it just doesn't matter. If you have some really hyped up computer, it might even work adequately.

I think I did have to install some DLL or another, but it showed up that it was missing in the wine error messages.

My test box is FC5/32 with the latest wine from winehq.com

EDIT: oh and the CD burning stuff don't work....

Last edited by rockouthippie; 28th August 2006 at 22:26.
Old 28th August 2006, 21:00   #6
DrO

i'd disagree about the ui efficiency since i've struggled to replicate code which works as well as winamp's classic skin drawing and if it ran fine without issues on my old P2 and the 486 i managed to get win95+winamp on then i'd have to point the blame at wine's implementation (not being in a position to try i can't do any tests on my similar spec system). it still draws back to why a win32 app is needed for linux when there's all of the native players already out there (and it's not like it's that hard to replicate the Winamp UI anyway) but that's for another time/place.

-daz
Old 28th August 2006, 23:30   #7
amano
Major Dude

But thanks for your efforts. Winamp might start to work properly with every new wine version to come.

Just for later reference: What wine version are you using?

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 19:38   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

0.9.16 is the version I have here.

I recently did find a linux program that will tune all of the streams from the YP and others, so perhaps my quest for linux winamp was really unnecessary.

I can't comment further about this program, because it has a few ways that it violates Winamps TOS and has some features that are correctly banned from discussion here.
Old 7th October 2006, 02:24   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

I just installed 5.24 with wine and it works really good now as an mp3 player. Like above, some things don't work. It looks like the shoutcast and null sound plugins do though.

So, like I said, subject to some testing, it looks like you could run winamp on a linux server. This would be handy for broadcasting off a dedicated server, without paying the extra windows price tag.

I didn't try the latest Winamp before, because none of the ones after the one I mentioned above worked at all. They'd fail in the installer. Till this one, and it's real close to being Winamp.
Old 26th October 2006, 04:48   #10
$cyberhax0r

Send a message via ICQ to $cyberhax0r
hey dude, how'd you manage to get winamp working in linux with wine? I get some dll errors
$cyberhax0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 20:12   #11
raducoc

Well, for me is running werry well the latest 5.32 Winamp with Wine 0.9.29. I can runit a full speed. No slowness, no nothing. Almoust a native Linux app! Incredible.

Have some drawing errors and minimize button dont want to minimize, no media library and no time displayed, but is working werry well. I dont know how to save the setings! When I start Winamp alwais loads the same settings. If I load a new song, quit winamp and reopen I dont have the last song added.

And to not ask about my configuration: openSUSE 10.2, Dell Inspiron 9400 with Core2Duo 2GHz.
raducoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 22:09   #12
puntloos

P3-700..

That's cheating a bit now is it.. a core2duo to run pretty much any desktop app. Even if the emulated speed would be 5% of 'native speed' you would still have plenty left.

Reason to run winamp on linux for me is simple, and it has been mentioned in passing:

- I want my linux server to play my music.

But I have a lot of demands

1/ Server is P3-700.. <scooby>wruh woh</scooby>
2/ I want it to play back on my m-audio 'semi-pro' sound card
3/ I want to run it through HQSoftProc to upsample to 24bit
4/ I want to run it through Kernel Streaming
5/ I want to play back all formats - even the high-cpu-demanding ones.
6/ I use remoteamp (on a dell axim over bluetooth activesync) to control my playback
7/ Obviously I need no visual interface at all.

Can someone confirm or deny that currently (latest wine, winamp) this is anywhere near viable? I think if the box would run winXP it would work. My athlon64-3000 can play this back without a hitch using 5% cpu at max (except when caching).
puntloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 05:45   #13
megrimn

Have you tried losing a little weight?

Winamp lite works perfectly under Wine. If you go to the download page, just scroll down a bit until you get to the section with all the different languages. Has the option to download the 'lite' version there.
megrimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 16:15   #14
broman23

I really wish win amp could make a version for ubuntu that is compatible. i really like winamp on win7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
broman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 16:20   #15
broman23

i think personally that ubuntu makes win 7 look like crap. win amp would just a bonus to all the incredible thinks on ubuntu
Old 25th April 2010, 16:23   #16
broman23

win amp lite sucks i want the full offer
Old 25th April 2010, 16:35   #17
DrO

there's no need to make 3 posts when no one else hasn't responded in the 8minutes between all of the posts (there is an edit button for such things).

as for the Winamp running under <insert_system_or_other_OS> it won't natively happen and really if Wine is the way then it's better they improve things rather than Winamp, which is only intended to run on Windows, to start inserting Wine specific hacks when it's not needed.

and from what i've read up about Winamp under Wine, you generally need to enable some Winetricks to get everything running correctly - there's more information under Wine's tracked bugzilla reports for Winamp.

-daz
Old 26th April 2010, 02:24   #18
airsignads

I use linux servers just for working purposes but then again we like music while working. pretty much winamp runs smooth on Windows. hope they will work on opensources.
airsignads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:23   #19
bestmann

There is a great DSP compressor plugin I use in Winamp and there is nothing like this for Linux
bestmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist