Old 21st November 2004, 02:04   #1
fordrangerfan17

Best settings to run Winamp at???

Hey, this is my first post here however I have been using Winamp for over 3 years at least, and I just recently downloaded my first plug-in, the Enhancer. I have a 2speaker 1 subwoofer setup on my computer, and I am trying to tweak my systemt to sound the best. I had a few questions related to that, and would like some help.

keep in mind that i listen to a lot of rap/bass.

-Should I keep my winamp equalizer on when I also have the Enhancer running? If so, what settings do you guys like the best for bass?

-Also, should I run the winamp at full volume, versus turning my system up w/ the remote it came with??

-Are there any settings on my actual computer that I can tweak? I have a 2.5mhz, 712MB Ram, Nvidia GeForce440 setup, with the factory sound card.

yeah, just a few basic questions, looking for some better sound! if you have any ideas i would love to hear.
fordrangerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 02:45   #2
MarkRH

I haven't tried that Enhancer plugin, but as far as what settings in Winamp or whatever to make it sound the best are, they are the settings that make it sound the best to you.

One person's equalizer, bass, and plug-in settings will probably sound unpleasant to others. Sound/music is in the ear of the beholder. For example, my equalizer is flatline at 0db. In my sound card mixer control I have bass slightly adjusted up from the middle setting and treble a bit higher than bass. I then have my subwoofer control knob in the middle position.

As far as volume settings: Winamp 80%, Wave volume on mixer 100%, main volume on mixer just below 100%. I mainly control volume with the volume knob on the speaker itself.

The type/quality of speakers (or externally connected HiFi system) and room acoustics plays a big role as well in determining how to set things to get the sound you like.

In the end, it's up to you.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 12:47   #3
gaekwad2
Foorum King

There's only one way to find out: listen what sounds best.

I guess 'factory sound card' really means onboard soundchip, if you're not satisfied with its quality maybe you should look at a real soundcard. You can get cards for less than $30 that sound much better than onboard chips.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 19:17   #4
fordrangerfan17

right on, excellent replies. hmm, do you guys know of any places I can get get a good sound card at for cheap? Is there a certain one that is the most popular?
fordrangerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 20:11   #5
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I've heard lots of good things about the Chaintech AV 710 in 2 channel stereo mode (it also has 7.1 channel surround output that uses cheaper components), it usually costs around $27.

As for best place to buy, I don't know. Google for it.
Old 25th November 2004, 09:07   #6
nybergh
Dialup Junkie
(Major Dude)

Or buy a Audigy 2 ZS. It may not be that cheap, but it has EAX 4 (something tou will need to use the best sound capabilities of many of the latest games) and DVD-Audio support.
nybergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2004, 11:38   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

*cough*

And the Audigy is a gamers card, its sound quality is worse than the Chaintech's.

If you want to spend more (or record analog sources) get an M-Audio Audiophile 2496.
Old 25th November 2004, 11:57   #8
nybergh
Dialup Junkie
(Major Dude)

I've read that but my audigy 2 has served me well. And it sounds way better than the usual game alternatives, integrated 5.1 cards. That's why I usually keep telling people to buy Audigy-cards.
nybergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion