Old 28th December 2004, 22:26   #1
xzxzzx
Forum King

Microsoft doesn't suck... or it does... or something...

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...?storyid=56878

Quote:
Start a debate on Microsoft and there will be a thousand people ready with a hundred errors they have faced in the last 2 days! Give them a chance and the world will pounce on this monopolistic company ready to sue them for the craziest of reasons. Practically, everyone has a story to tell when it comes to products from Microsoft; be it hardware or software. Every second day there is news about a new flaw in Internet Explorer and Win9x OS being molested by a new virus. Of course, none of us have escaped the famous BSOD. What else can a normal user do apart from bitching about Microsoft and Bill Gates (many still assume he is the current CEO)? Practically nothing. Only if he is well conversant with some of the best open-source Linux OS like Red Hat, Mandrake and Suse.

For the rest of us, we will still have to survive on Windows as a prime OS for the next 5 years at least. We buy/borrow pirated Windows OS software without paying a single pie and use the 'F' word almost every time the system crashes or when it can't accept a new hardware or fails to install a simple software. A virus attacks your machine and the rain of words starts. We swear at Microsoft and crib at almost every single feature in it, but struggle to sit and write a decent code in C#. Hackers write codes targeting only Windows and not Linux; get arrested for a year and are then hired by some big-shot security solution firm or Microsoft itself.

Mozilla's Firefox has unanimously been named the World's No.1 web-browser, Copernic, X1 and Cathy have practically replaced the default search engine in Windows, Winamp replacing WMP10, Thunderbird the best E-mail client, WinRar an excellent compression utility, Ad-aware the best spyware scanner program...the list just goes on. Then where the hell is Microsoft, why don't they figure in the Top 10 at least? That's because they are the foundation, most of the above mentioned run on Windows ONLY excluding Mozilla's.

The only good thing about Microsoft is that most high-end games like Doom3, HL2, NFSU2 and popular graphic chipsets like NVidia and ATi are made to 'RUN' on Windows even though Linux geeks always try to prove a point to be up there with their best mean machines handling powerful hardware (support for Linux is always there). While the Age of Empires and Mythologies have been one of the best strategy games for the PC, the XBox sales are beginning to compete with the likes of the PS2. Rest assured their basic hardware peripherals (keyboards/mouse), are at par with the best, while their networking hardware is also famous. On the software front, I guess people still vote for OfficeXP to OpenOfiice.

Most of my friends come out with really innovative thoughts like, "I wish Mozilla comes out with an OS very soon that beats the shit out of Microsoft"...ya right, that should bring Microsoft to its feet. But since Microsoft has enough liquid cash to survive for the next decade, they can always buy the Mozilla group.... oops, did I say something stupid? Now, if you really think I am doing a PR for Microsoft and desperate for a job from them, you must be crazy. You don't need to write good or flame them as they are in far too many controversies everyday which adds an extra bonus point to their rank status. For the time being, let's hope your system doesn't crash :)

I am definitely not trying to be a loyal supporter of this brand, but if you ask your conscience, you will still vote for this brand as the most popular brand.
Does anyone else find this story a combination of poor grammar, bitching, anti-bitching, incomprehensibility, and idiocy? (I mean, Mozilla coming out with an O/S? Was that supposed to be sarcasm?)

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 22:32   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Looks like someone needed an article for their colum real quick but had no idea what to say.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 22:35   #3
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Yes, it sucks.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 23:02   #4
siebe83
Forum King

"I am definitely not trying to be a loyal supporter of this brand, but if you ask your conscience, you will still vote for this brand as the most popular brand."
Wtf?
What does he want to say? What's the purpose of this article?

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 23:53   #5
zootm
Forum King

Re: Microsoft doesn't suck... or it does... or something...

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Does anyone else find this story a combination of poor grammar, bitching, anti-bitching, incomprehensibility, and idiocy? (I mean, Mozilla coming out with an O/S? Was that supposed to be sarcasm?)
Although I agree with your critique of the writing, I've often thought that a display manager based on Gecko would be a fantastic idea. And some well thought-out and consistent UIs are just what Linux needs, especially right now.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 05:52   #6
xzxzzx
Forum King

I don't disagree that Linux could use a well-thought-out and consistant UI.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2004, 09:46   #7
henry3k56
Forum King

All the best of all the Linux UIs should be blended together so that there is a standard, then work from that standard to customize it even further.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News