Old 18th May 2013, 09:02   #1
kry945

Winamp not working on Windows 8

Hi there,

I've downloaded WinAmp just now, as an upgrade from Zune. I use Windows 8 x64. After installing the latest version of Winamp, I tried to launch the program and nothing happened. I tried installing 5.56 and 5.70beta, but neither of them worked either. I tried using an App Compatibility Admin fix, but that didn't work either.

I'd really like to try WinAmp. Please help!

Thanks
kry945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:12   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Don't bother with versions of Winamp older than Windows 8 - it is not surprising if they don't work.

Stick with the beta. I am sure there are people here running on Windows 8 as I can see it is part of the testing. I'd also be very wary of "app compatibility admin fixes" (whatever they are) as these can cause troubles later on when using a later version of software which truely is Win8 native.

If it was me, I'd start from scratch. Get shot of the tweaks you have done. Then do a full uninstall of Winamp. And remove the %appdata%\Winamp folder of settings. Then try again to install the very latest beta. Once you have that installed return here with a few more details of what you are seeing and someone will attempt to help you.

You'll also see mention of using the Winamp Info Tool to tell us more about your PC setup and Winamp installation.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:36   #3
kry945

Thanks for the help, but even a full reinstall didn't work. I try to launch WinAmp, and the cursor changes to 'working' for about a quarter of a second, then nothing. The process isn't running, or anything like that. It's a bit frustrating, unfortunately. I did download the Info Tool however, so here is the dump from that. Is there anything extremely out of the ordinary there?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (9.7 KB, 332 views)
Old 18th May 2013, 15:13   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If you have never seen the first run happen, try starting Winamp as admistrator ONCE.

RIGHT CLICK the winamp short cut and select Run As Administrator from the menu. This one off selection may help Winamp write its initial settings to the registry.

Don't set it to run as admin every time. Just do it once.

Question: when you installed Winamp what did you do at the end of the install? Did you let it run Winamp for the first time? Or did you untick that option? This is the time the file associations are setup and I notice in that Winamp remote no file associations are configured yet.

I don't run Windows 8 here myself so can't comment much further.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:30   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Batter Pudding
In Win8, filetype associations can only be made via the Default Programs control panel.
We still need to disable the Winamp Setup > Set Filetype Associations page for Win8
(or at least change it to match what we've done with Prefs > File Types, where it just has a link to open Default Programs CP instead).

As for the issue at hand, I'm not rightly sure, but maybe DrO can offer some further assistance/shed more light...?

Yes, it's certainly worth trying to run Winamp once in admin mode.

If that doesn't work, then I would start by disabling ml_disc.dll (CD Rip & Burn interface) to see if that's preventing the startup
(there's been one or two other similar reports).

Go to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins" folder
Rename ml_disc.dll to ml_disc.dll.off
(first, make sure 'hide extensions' isn't enabled in Folder Options Control Panel > View tab)

Does Winamp open now?

If no, you can re-enable ml_disc.dll and we'll need to look at other possible causes...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 15:36   #6
kry945

I tried running it as an Administrator, but it didn't work. In the multiple times I've tried installing it (having uninstalled it completely with CCleaner between each time) sometimes I've clicked to run WinAmp as soon as the installer finishes, and other times I haven't. Either way, it doesn't work.

I tried to disable ml_disc.dll, but that didn't work either. Same problem, unfortunately -- 'working' flickers on the mouse for a fraction of a second, then nothing.
Old 18th May 2013, 16:14   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Thanks DJ Egg. I'll note that now in my old brain and point people in the right direction. Should get around to installing Win8 on one of my PCs here soon.

@kry945: With an uninstall, have you actually opened the %appdata%\Winamp folder? Don't rely on CCleaner as it will not clean up Winamp's settings. All that is doing is hiding the naughty videos you have been watching. And it certainly will not have been updated to handle the latest Winamp Beta yet.

If you uninstall Winamp. Then delete %appdata%\Winamp (Usually C:\Users\kry945\AppData\Roaming\Winamp) then you know you really have a clean install.
Old 19th May 2013, 01:45   #8
kry945

After I uninstall WinAmp, both through regular means and with CCleaner, there is no folder in AppData or any of its subfolders called 'WinAmp' or anything like that. Maybe that's part of the problem.
Old 21st May 2013, 22:34   #9
DrO

i doubt ml_disc has anything to do with the issue if it's seemingly crashing so quickly (and if 5.7 b3392 is being used for testing).

based on what i'd seen from another user (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=360653), it's likely related to one of the supporting dlls which are loaded as soon as winamp.exe is started.

so the thing to do so as to get some sort of crash output is to follow the following steps...

First thing is to get ProcDump (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/dd996900) and extract procdump.exe from the archive.

Would suggest making a C:\dumps folder first and then putting procdump.exe in there.

Then do Windows Key + R and enter cmd.exe which should open a command-line window.

Enter cd c:\dumps and press return.

Then enter (or copy+paste should work) procdump.exe -e 1 -f "" -x c:\dumps "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe" and press return.

That should start procdump and have it start Winamp and hopefully will generate a dmp file in C:\dumps.

If it does, zip up the file and either upload to a file sharing site or if it's only a few 100 KB when compressed, you should be able to attach it a post in this thread.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:49   #10
kry945

All uploaded there for you DrO. Hopefully it sheds some light on the problem. I saw a lot of 'ACCESS VIOLATION's coming up in the cmd window.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_130523_004539.zip (189.3 KB, 306 views)
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:06   #11
DrO

pm sent with something to try out.
Old 22nd May 2013, 23:53   #12
DrO

you can ignore the pm i'd sent from today (22 May) - turns out the idea i had didn't have any effect as i'd assumed would be the likely case.
Old 24th May 2013, 06:23   #13
kry945

Yeah, I tried that, but it did nothing unfortunately.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:47   #14
DrO

that's why i said to ignore it

anyway, http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....21#post2935921 shows where things have gotten with the issue.
Old 3rd June 2014, 22:24   #15
Ronj

I turned off run as admin because I couldn't drag and drop if it was on.
Ronj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 13:40   #16
DrO

you should never have Winamp set to run as admin since it will break things and when Winamp needs to get admin privileges, it will do the prompts required i.e. it'll run as a non-admin user 99% of the time without any problem.

the only possible cases where it is required is with essential 3rd party plug-ins and in those cases, it's better to install to a different folder then "Program Files\Winamp" so that those old plug-ins will be able to write into the Winamp folder (which is the only reason for needing admin access).
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
windows 8