Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 26th November 2013, 22:18   #121
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
I can think of a major argument here that no one has yet to bring up...

What is to happen to ShoutCast? Is it really just going to silently die off with Winamp, despite the fact that it is so widely used, and is the only seriously popular internet radio application system out there? People can argue IceCast all they want, but the reality is that it is nothing without ShoutCast's popularity and base.

SugarD-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:25   #122
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Anyways, can't blame a guy for trying his hardest, right?
and i'm not, i'm just trying to balance out what you're requesting with what is a reasonable viewpoint from the other side. i'm not going to stop you trying to achieve it, but from a personal view, i don't think wasabi.player is an appropriate base to work from (can say the same about Winamp proper as well but there's a far lower barrier to dev entry with Winamp proper than wasabi.player).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarD-x View Post
What is to happen to ShoutCast?
there is already a dedicated thread for such questions, this thread is not the place. and it's only Winamp that was included in the announcements, not what the rumours have done of make 1+1=3.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:37   #123
djpete
Major Dude

I think what most people are afraid of is Winamp losing any public representation at all. Then it is not promoted any more and eventually it is just another lost software.

Our petition is
1 asking for someone else to take up the challenge (even Microsoft if the software is not dismantled)
2 if that can't be done let it be released (realising there are downsides to that)

The fact is that no other player can do what Winamp can do.
Nothing is so versatile.
It can be whatever you want it to be.

Surely there is a market for that?

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:39   #124
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
from a personal view, i don't think wasabi.player is an appropriate base to work from (can say the same about Winamp proper as well but there's a far lower barrier to dev entry with Winamp proper than wasabi.player).
Maybe, but in my opinion, there is no other player or base that comes even close to either of them. Atleast from my perspective.
Sure, other players or codebases could surely be modified to mimic Winamp behavior and functionality, but it's unfamiliar territory and it hasn't been done satisfactory yet anywhere.
Foobar is probably closest as far as I know, but I just don't like it as much. Just a matter of taste.
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 01:22   #125
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Quote:
there is already a dedicated thread for such questions, this thread is not the place. and it's only Winamp that was included in the announcements, not what the rumours have done of make 1+1=3.
So far nothing has been revealed in that topic besides speculation, and someone in it brought up a very good point. AOL announced all related services would be taken down too. Doesn't that mean ShoutCast is included in the death of Winamp?

Old 27th November 2013, 01:26   #126
DrO

the notice on Winamp.com mentions "Winamp.com and associated web services" which is web services relating to Winamp.com and the Winamp clients. SHOUTcast is not Winamp.com and there are no notices up on SHOUTcast.com. that's all i can say and there is nothing which is going to stop people speculating about other things as that's just what happens.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 01:33   #127
SugarD-x

Quote:
the notice on Winamp.com mentions "Winamp.com and associated web services" which is web services relating to Winamp.com and the Winamp clients. SHOUTcast is not Winamp.com and there are no notices up on SHOUTcast.com. that's all i can say and there is nothing which is going to stop people speculating about other things as that's just what happens.
Given your position, I understand if you can't say much else beyond that...but does that mean SC is safe then? With Winamp's services going down, we'll still be losing the support boards, though. Winamp's web services are also spidered all over into the SC website. If AOL is nice enough to leave SC's web services up, we may still see some odd issues arise. It's very unfortunate that so much will be lost over the decision of a failing company.

Old 27th November 2013, 01:47   #128
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Given your position, I understand if you can't say much else beyond that...but does that mean SC is safe then?
User to user, SC looks safe for now to me. The only thing different on it's home page is the link to instructions for listening in Winamp opens a blank page. This makes sense since AOL is dropping Winamp.

But you can still use Winamp to listen to SC stations. If you need instructions on how, you just need to find them elsewhere.

SC is a separate web service that works through your web browser. It does not depend on Winamp. It would not be hard for AOL to split out the SC sub-forum and continue to host it.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 01:54   #129
SugarD-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
SC is a separate web service that works through your browser. It does not depend on Winamp. It would not be hard for AOL to split out the SC sub-forum and continue to host it.
That could technically be argued, as SC supports multiple browser and app-based players, but we're getting onto an unrelated subject anyway.

As for the forum split, that actually wouldn't be too hard. They would just need to export the data from the forum, make a new one on SC's website, import the data, and delete the extra boards. Then they would still retain everything related to SC's forum section and posts, even the user accounts. You're talking about a 10 minute porting using "cheating" methods.

As for Winamp, though...if SC stays and Winamp goes, would this mean a new release for SC to remove the Winamp references?

Old 27th November 2013, 02:15   #130
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
As for Winamp, though...if SC stays and Winamp goes, would this mean a new release for SC to remove the Winamp references?
We can only wait and see. The link to SC for IPhone is also blank, but the one for Winamp for Android with SC Album Art is populated. The only thing we know for now is that things are in flux.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 15:05   #131
Cheezwizsz

I'm not really sure I can handle Winamp "ending", as it does things nothing else I have does, or nothing else I have does that also does things everything else I've got does. I'm still waiting on fixes to problems with plugins that didn't show up, or with the latest update, now do this:

I don't understand why these plugins no longer work/show on a fresh install of a new version on a new OS, and it looks like I'll never have a fix for it either.
Cheezwizsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 19:51   #132
Smelter
Major Dude

You guys are like trying to ask microsoft to open source windows XP or windows 98.

Now cry.
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 19:52   #133
Smelter
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezwizsz View Post
I'm not really sure I can handle Winamp "ending", as it does things nothing else I have does, or nothing else I have does that also does things everything else I've got does. I'm still waiting on fixes to problems with plugins that didn't show up, or with the latest update, now do this:

I don't understand why these plugins no longer work/show on a fresh install of a new version on a new OS, and it looks like I'll never have a fix for it either.
Time to learn c++
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 19:54   #134
SugarD-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelter View Post
You guys are like trying to ask microsoft to open source windows XP or windows 98.

Now cry.
Windows 98 and XP were upgraded to new versions that are still being released under the Windows product line. Winamp is ceasing to exist. Quite a big difference there.

Edit: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/st...red-2D11658889

Looks like the petition just reached NBC, a very major news network in the United States. Maybe there is hope after all.

Edit #2: Holy what in the chocolate bar?!?
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/sou...namp-from-aol/

Old 28th November 2013, 02:24   #135
bunker80

Please go open source

Definitely winamp is and has been the best music player ever created. No matter how much revenue it haven't done for AOL it's not the users fault. I'ts AOL marketing team fault not knowing which would be the best strategy for making it more profitable.

How can you explain that there are thousands of apps (android and apple) earning an incredible amount of money? It's because all of them have adapted to the new worldwide economical model.

Going open source would help winamp not only stay alive but would help create a completely different financial game to the owner (that would be AOL, supposing they kept the rights of it).

Even better, if AOL is not longer interested in maintaining all winamp platform, why don't they sell it? I'm pretty sure there would be more than one wealthy buyer around the world who have lots of good ideas on how to bring it up.

Please, don't shut it down! Sell it or go open source, but don't shut it down.
bunker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 12:40   #136
n2jtx

Send a message via AIM to n2jtx
Signed!

Author of the "Auto Close" and "What's Playing v2" plugins.

I support the Right to Keep and Arm Bears.
n2jtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 21:43   #137
synthetiq

36,859 supporters (and counting) cant be wrong!
synthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 10:42   #138
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am only one of currently 43790 supporters...
http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/save-winamp

And I have shared this link again in Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Google+.

I want to see the 50000 before the 20th December. What can we do now to get this wish true?...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 23:46   #139
McRiot

I registered only to SIGN!

I'll miss you winamp! RIP

been using winamp since it's conception and still use it to this day.

:{ SOLONG
McRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 20:36   #140
pe_pi23

Signed

Signed
pe_pi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 15:00   #141
n3tfury

Signed.
n3tfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 20:52   #142
kamilrakowski

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/winamp-will-never-die/

It appears we may have been successful. Seeing as we are still here, 10 days after the December 20 shutdown date, I think we were!

-Kamil Rakowski
Using Winamp since December 2000
kamilrakowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 21:01   #143
kamilrakowski

This is what AOL should do:
  • Sell Winamp and Shoutcast to someone who cares
  • Sell AOL Mail and AIM to someone who cares
  • Go die quietly in the corner.

Then we will all be happy (I hope).
kamilrakowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion