Old 31st May 2002, 19:42   #1
not in santiago

Opinions?

Lately, I've been working on a series of six skins pertaining to one of my favourite bands. I'm trying to cover different aspects, from individual members, to albums, to videos to visual interpretations of specific songs.

The attached is a skin of an old (old, old, old) video for a song called "500 Up". If elements of the skin look somewhat schizophrenic, it's because there's some strange imagery in the video (pink car driven by a Barbie doll with a duck head - no, I can't explain it! ).

I still have a few things to do (playlist title, shuf/rep, a better main title, and deciding whether I like or hate the eq bars), but in the meantime I was wondering what others thought of it, especially those who have never seen the video. I admit this skin will be more cohesive to those who have (and really, that's who the skin will be for).

Merci beaucoup!

P.S. - Yes, I am somewhat partial to flat, 2D skins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500up.jpg (74.7 KB, 159 views)
not in santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2002, 20:12   #2
Jellby
Major Dude

It's a pretty skin, even if I don't even know which band it is, some points I see:

-I would change the selected-bg colour in pledit.txt, that gray simply doesn't fit (light blue or even pink would be better).

-There's a lack of buttons in the main window, I would like to see at least some hint of shuffle, repeat, eq, pl, balance, mono, stereo... but that's your choice, of course. Big buttons would ruin the picture, but a slight hue change, a glassy symbol, a couple of blurry dots... that would be enough.

-The app-buttons don't fit in the titlebar, make it a little bit bigger so it can hold the buttons, there's something strange in the clutterbar too, check the cropping.

-The song title hides the gradient underneath, well, you can't help it, but I don't like that naked effect, it looks like a bug. I would add some kind of outline to the text box. I see the screenshot is not using bitmap fonts, you should be careful because bitmap and non-bitmap fonts are different size, so if you add the outline... well, you'll see.

-Finally, use nums_ex.bmp instead of numbers.bmp, that way you can skin the minus sign.

After this I want to say that overall it is a very good skin, I like it

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2002, 20:59   #3
not in santiago

Thanks for the constructive comments.

And I think I'll take you up on some of them, especially the song title "window" and the nums_ex. (I didn't even know about that one. Is that file included with the base skin?)

As for the app buttons - that's on the "to do" list. Along with shuf/rep buttons (they'll probably look like the on/auto buttons). I forgot to mention this, but the volume slider is there! It's part of the Main border (that's the slider you see at the end of it). Perhaps I should label it somewhere. I'm leaning towards leaving the balance and mono/stereo buttons off.

I'll try to finish it off tomorrow. I have to go to work now . . . .
Old 31st May 2002, 21:17   #4
Jellby
Major Dude

You'll see I didn't mention volume, I guessed it was that circle . Nums_ex is not included in the base skin, not that I know, but it has no secret, just add 9 pixels to the right for the minus sign. If in doubt, download any of my skins (plug) and see it

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Old 1st June 2002, 03:03   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Nice work, the pictures blend in fairly well with the background, and you've done a pretty good job with keeping the eq useable. Apart from the things jellby has mentioned, I'd add some winshade/close buttons to the playlist and if possible some sort of labelling to the playlist stack buttons.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2002, 18:57   #6
dam
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to dam
Nice.The road is kool.

Wouldnt be a bad idea if you made the eq buttons look like the c buttons.
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2002, 15:52   #7
nierke

Wow this skin realy looks good. I like it.

...:::nierke:::...
nierke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2002, 17:12   #8
StillWater
Forum King

looks good. pity about the preamp bar. the vis colours seem too full-on for the rest of the skin. nice cbuttons.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2002, 22:10   #9
not in santiago

Okay, this took longer than I thought, but it's impossible to stay inside on a sunny weekend.

I'm at the point where I'm sick to bloody death of this skin and I wouldn't care if I never saw it again. What better time for some sober second thought?

500 Up is pretty much finished except for a bug in the Pledit min/max buttons (which may never be fixed because even thinking about those buttons sends my mind into fits of murderous rage) and, much to my chagrin, the Minibrowser and AVS windows (which just occurred to me as I was typing this post. Bloody windows I never ever use! ) I can assure you they will be skinned, although plainly, as always.

Ack. The more I look at it, the more I think I'm not finished. I added a song title box, like Jellby suggested, but I'm not sure I like it now. It would be better if it were bolder, but then it would cut into the picture. I also see I should fix the vol button (for the 16th time . . . .)

dbleja, I see what you mean about the vis colours. I'll take out the dark blue and see what it looks like, but I'm kind of partial to the way it sticks out a bit. (Where's the "I think I'm slowly going crazy" Smilie when you need it?)

Preamp bar? I probably know what that is, but tell me anyway. I'm still a newb.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone! Lob 'em if you got 'em!

I'm going back outside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500up_newest.jpg (62.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 2nd June 2002, 22:21   #10
not in santiago

Guh. I was going to include a .wsz file of the skin, but apparently it's too large. (144k - I really didn't think it would be that big!)

Anyway, I just figured out what the preamp bar is (probably because I was just thinking the same thing, except I substituted "stupid eq bar on the left thingy" for "preamp"). Yes, it kills me too.

But at least I know what to call it. Gosh. I feel so edjumacated.
Old 2nd June 2002, 22:30   #11
Jellby
Major Dude

I think it's much better with the box in the song title. But you still have to skin nums_ex.bmp instead of (or in addition to) numbers.bmp, it's only 9 pixels more And chech the clutterbar, it seems there's some cropping around the top button.
The little lines in the eq are a nice addition, they help masking the 'pasted' look of the bars, just like the frame in the song title (the preamp bar is the left one, it controls the master gain). The playlist min/max button is bugged in winamp, it's one pixel to the right from where it should be, check TemplateAmp to see it, it could be easy or impossible to fix, that depends on the animations of your skin. Some kind of labeling in the playlist stacks could be nice too, even if it's only some coloured dots...

Old 3rd June 2002, 04:31   #12
Kenny D.

Cool skin, don`t know the band but vaguely remember the duck and car.
I like the design and light blue color on the left top main border. If you could somehow incorporate this into the playlist and mb it would have a more balanced effect. Also like the posbar. Unfortunately it doesn`t contrast enough with the blue BG. Would stand out on sky blue but that would mess up your color scheme.
I`ll give you the same advice you gave me. Stick with it a while longer. I can really see a lot of improvements in your latest screenshot.

coolkenny - "You don`t waste time ; Time wastes you"

LEAPIN LIZARDS | PHASE - B |
Swampy | ULTRA
Kenny D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins