Old 31st May 2012, 23:17   #1
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Mice?

ok, first off, i love my RAT 7, absolutely 100% love it, but i've been playing more and more competitive video games lately, eve online, APB reloaded to name the major offenders and there's a couple of hiccups and glitches every once in a while.

it works perfectly fine about 90% of the time, but using a cloth mousepad (steelseries Qck+) even the cat walking on the pad or cigarette ashes makes the pad dirty enough the laser sensor won't track at a consistent speed across it, so i thought sure, maybe it's the first hardware revision that's the problem and the left mouse button stopped working on the old one.

oh boy, it just gets worse and worse from there on out, RMA process: FUCKING NIGHTMARE, it took nearly three weeks for the replacement mouse to show up, they did replace my old first hardware revision RAT 7 with a revision 2 one, but it's still not an improvement, the little blinder thing they put on the bottom of the sensor does NOTHING, lifting still sends this mouse batshit crazy but that's ok, i can train myself not to lift if i really try and honestly it's a habit i've all but broken myself of since, however they required me to pay postage and ship the old one back to them, what the fuck, if not for being able to get my mom to bring home a crappy optical mouse she had an extra of at work, i would have been unable to use the computer at all for three entire weeks and the shipping cost about $5 too, completely unacceptable RMA process, i really couldn't think of a single thing they could do to make their RMA process worse, except maybe slower shipping.

not only that, i could and maybe should RMA this second one, but my first experience with having to have it replaced was just too traumatic to voluntarily go through that shit again and it's nothing that affects the mouse functionally, it's just that the little adjustment tool that's supposed to screw into the rear for storage came with stripped out threads really and won't stay in place.

so, i figure, maybe it's the mousepad? i love cloth/fabric mousepads because they're more comfortable to use in general, but it sure seems to attract dirt like a magnet to a piece of iron which causes the mouse to spaz out in some way or another or not cause major problems and track inconsistently which means my performance in competitive games suffers as a result, yeah i know what you're thinking "god what a first world problem" and sure, it is but i game very competitively, honestly i find i'm talking myself down from recording my play and starting a youtube channel more and more often lately (it'll never happen, i will not accept google+ and it's privacy invasion, RL and internet are separate worlds all there is to it and i will fight and die to keep it that way if it comes down to it) but that's not what this is about, i'm happy to be your average joe player with way too much time on his hands and leave it at that, i don't need to try to turn a profit on something i do for fun and sell out i'd rather keep enjoying it thanks.

so anyway, i decided to get a qpad heaton on the advice of other RAT 7 owners, i have to wonder what the fuck they were smoking though, it refuses to track acceptably on this hardtop pad at all, i can't tell if it's because the pad has a pattern/design on it or if it's just because the RAT's phillips twin eye laser engine hates hardtop pads, but at this point, i'm fed up, beyond fed up, i'm at the point i just stop using RAT branded products and i'm tempted to send a reply to that last email from the guy who works for them just to tell them what a fucked over job they're doing out of spite and how they've lost a customer for the rest of my life.

so here's the point of this thread:

i need a new gaming mouse, price is no option, it needs to track consistently across the whole pad for at least 12+ hours uninterrupted at a time, minimum, i've pulled 16+ hours gaming sessions and it's not much of a rarity either, a game just has to interest me enough and losing sleep every now and again probably will happen once or twice when i first start up on it.

logitech are out as i break them within a month. do not recommend this brand, i will not reply to anyone who does this goes for no names "just get a cheapo $5 derp", no, RTFT and post a helpful answer, don't troll.

microsoft mice are out as well, they really have no gaming mice on their own website anyway so anyone considering recommending them needs a reality check as well, their hardware is totally indestructible though and that's why i still use a microsoft sidewinder gaming keyboard.

i'm mainly considering the razer mamba 2012, but there's a few things that worry me and some other stuff i want to know before sending off for it.

1. the finish, my current RAT 7 does make my hand sweat with extended use, requiring me to take my hand off of it and wipe the moisture from my hand, bad mouse, i need something with a finish that won't make my hand sweat like one of those cheap plastic torture cots they have kindergarteners sleep on for naptime.

2. buttons, i need a mouse that's designed for right handed two button grip, if i can find one designed for either hand that's just as comfortable i suppose that may work as well, but i find that ambidextrous mice as less comfortable overall with either hand, i do also need easy to reach forward and backwards buttons for web browsing and a dpi selected in easy somewhere on the mouse, rocker or buttons either is fine for dpi selector.

3. scroll wheel, this is the main reason i won't consider logitech, their scroll wheels collect dirt like crazy from my experience and have caused me immense problems and 3 RMA'd logitech mice within 3 months, it must have a wheel can be cleaned and it must scroll nicely and have a noticeable feel to it when i've scrolled one "notch", free spinning is NOT an option, i need to know whether i've scrolled one notch or two without having to think about it.

4. wireless, personally i really don't see any use for wireless, i typically don't have problems with the cord impeding my movements, this does seem to be a selling point that goes to the old (non 2012 afaik) razer mamba as you could plug the cord into the front of the mouse to charge or game wired and unplug it to play wirelessly, i personally WILL NOT however get any use out of wireless, but this functionality seems to be gone from the mamba 2012? i can't be sure though so that's why it's been included here.

5. tracking, i need at least 5000dpi at a minimum, i have a huge mouse mat and use mice with sensitivity adjustment buttons/rockers on the mouse so that if i have to be more precise than 5000dpi lets me i can switch down to 4000dpi to snipe you out easily with precision at the touch of a single button, however it MUST track consistently preferably on a wide variety of surfaces, i really like the steelseries Qck+ for it's size and comfort but it's an absolute dirt magnet causing the RAT 7 to track inconsistently at a moments notice sometimes so i probably mainly be using this mouse on a hardtop gaming pad, another thing to note is the durability of the steelseries Qck+ is pathetic at best the first trip through the washing machine started noticeable fraying at the edges of the pad, after 3+ more trips, it's starting to warp and soon probably won't lay flat, if you can recommend a mouse that can track consistently on any surface including glass or mirrors that will be a huge step towards me taking your recommendation as my current mouse is just far too overly picky about what it will and won't track properly on.

6. grip, i typically use a palm/fingertip grip, i do not and will not use a claw type grip or a mouse that's designed for that, if i can effectively use a palm or fingertip grip your recommendation may stay as long as it's comfortable otherwise, you're disqualified now, leave.

typical grip for reference.

grip while using mousewheel.
before i end #6 i will say that three button mice are also out of the question, if i can't comfortably grip it with two fingers on the left and right mouse buttons it simply won't work i've never been able to middlefinger grip for the mousewheel and i'm not really interested in starting now, i just don't have the dexterity required for me to be able to count on my performance with a three finger grip.

anyway, that's about all i can think of for now, remember, please don't troll, suggestions for logitech and no name or microsoft branded gaming mice will be ignored and/or berated with a loud RTFT noob, as they deserve, if your post makes it evident you didn't read the entire OP that applies as well.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 22:27   #2
SilverBird775

Not for a mouse remark but another handy thing.

I'm quite happy with a gray matte and tiny bit grainy table. The table (sic) outperforms all the mousepads i've tried let alone this is the super ease concept letting a waste of space for a super intensive gestures. It makes you to concentrate only on precision forever forgetting the pad borders.

The good crafted table alone are making the gaming machines with a mousepads to feel like an 80% loosers. Yeah, my table makes a very minor movements a little bit grainy (which pad is not?) but it is extra precise and uniform overall. So, the mousepad free workspace is my choice. I like the table versus the pad because the table never ever fails or crumples, it is no BS dirt resistant and cleans up fast.
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 00:42   #3
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well that's exactly the problem, the mousepad i'm using now the steelseries Qck+ performs perfectly and the mouse tracks consistently on it, the ONLY problem is that ANY dust, dirt or imperfections stops the preceding from being true.

Old 2nd June 2012, 08:37   #4
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

TDM, How comw you hate the "L" word mouse?
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:38   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
You eliminated the two manufacturers I always use in mice. I've had a Logitech Performance Mouse MX for a while now and love it.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:46   #6
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I haz "The Anywhere MX Mouse"
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/notebo...where-mouse-mx
Works everywhere. I don't game, so maybe this mouse creatue would suck at that.
Old 13th June 2012, 07:12   #7
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
TDM, How comw you hate the "L" word mouse?
i had to RMA 3 in a few months, tell me that doesn't explain it.

at any rate, i'm thinking the RAT turned out to be one of those brands that's not worth using once it catches on, popularity can make manufacturers think they've got a winning design so they get lazy and over time the quality just goes to shit, which now i really don't have a choice like it or not describes about how this thing's working currently, i get second clicks at random again which is what i had to RMA the first one over, granted though that one lasted nearly a year this one's been around under three months, fuck me, i hate the idea of using razer peripherals too, feels more like buying the name than the product but i see fuck all for other options at this point.

Old 13th June 2012, 07:35   #8
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I wish you the best on your mouse hunt, I've only ever used my dell mouse which has lasted for years.

I want to thank you for introducing me to cyborg... I have thought it through and have decided that I need to get my hands on their headset and a mouse.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 07:38   #9
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

you are responsible for your own bad decisions if you buy anything from them honestly, i'm done with this shit, lasted less than an entire month by my count, barely over a month at most.

it's weird kind of, schwinn and mongoose used to be good names in bikes too... until they got popular.

Old 13th June 2012, 07:47   #10
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

I used to own a mongoose cruise BMX race bike, lightest bike they ever made. Tried to sell it years later to find out that wal-mart or something bought them out and cheaped them right up.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 13th June 2012, 07:56   #11
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well it's not only that, but you do have a hell of a point as far as wal-mart goes, but if a somewhat smalltime brand starts focusing on mass production suddenly, quality is gonna take a nosedive one way or the other.

Old 13th June 2012, 08:00   #12
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Oh shit, Razer! What about their mice? Have you ever given them a go?

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 13th June 2012, 08:02   #13
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

not yet, but it looks like i will be next month since this current one has decided to move from merely annoying to a certifiable pain in the ass, i'm always wary of buying from the biggest targeted brand, always gets me thinking that profits and looking good are the bottom line, not actually being something you want on your desk.

Old 13th June 2012, 08:06   #14
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

I would give a review but I've never had anything from razer.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 7th July 2012, 20:34   #15
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well so it showed up yesterday, been a bit slow in new games coming out though so still not really used to the new mouse, overall i'm really starting to fall for it if i'm honest, the only thing i don't like is the grip style i have to use with this one, it just..... feels wrong after being used to something like the RAT 7 but i know that once my hand is used to it better it'll be second nature and the different ergonomics shouldn't be noticeable.

i played a few competitive games yesterday just to force myself to get used to this new one quicker hopefully, honestly.... i don't think it was enough matches to really draw any meaningful or accurate conclusion but i did have a really good game and precision is really easy and near instant with this new one as well, i'm surprised quite a bit by that, i thought i'd be an easy kill for a week or two but it seems to be better even before getting used to it.

i like the idea of being able to pull the cord out of the end and use it wireless too but if i'm honest i don't think i could pull the cord and put it in the end of the wireless receiver quick enough to be useful in games.

so far, liking the razer mamba quite a lot, still waiting for the other shoe to drop though.

compare this to the two grip photos above:

i can tell this thing is meant for a much more relaxed type of grip and it kind of wants your thumb to curve in under the back/forward buttons or feels like it when you're holding it, i'll get used to it soon enough though.

Old 7th July 2012, 22:22   #16
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Ah you did go for a Razer, well once you get more accustomed to it please let me know. I'd be very interested to read what you've got to say on it.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 7th July 2012, 23:00   #17
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

i like it quite a bit so far, i don't know how they think it's ambidextrous though, it definitely seems to track more consistently across the pad by far compared to the RAT 7.

actually i'll grab the hard top pad and see how it does on that, i'm thinking that second optical sensor to calibrate it to your mousepad's surface is a deal sealer for competitive gaming though.

[EDIT] well it tracks on a hard top pad, that's something a RAT 7 will never do at least, pretty damn well actually if i'm honest, it throws a tantrum initially but once i forced it to calibrate to the pad it's fine enough, not sure i could rely on it as much on a hard top pad and definitely not at 5000dpi like the cloth top either but it does glide very nicely on the hard top, really effortlessly. [/EDIT]

Old 8th July 2012, 18:06   #18
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Old 8th July 2012, 18:38   #19
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
i like it quite a bit so far, i don't know how they think it's ambidextrous though, it definitely seems to track more consistently across the pad by far compared to the RAT 7.

actually i'll grab the hard top pad and see how it does on that, i'm thinking that second optical sensor to calibrate it to your mousepad's surface is a deal sealer for competitive gaming though.

[EDIT] well it tracks on a hard top pad, that's something a RAT 7 will never do at least, pretty damn well actually if i'm honest, it throws a tantrum initially but once i forced it to calibrate to the pad it's fine enough, not sure i could rely on it as much on a hard top pad and definitely not at 5000dpi like the cloth top either but it does glide very nicely on the hard top, really effortlessly. [/EDIT]
Sounds like it actually works... I might have to look into it. Though I still want to try that RAT out.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 8th July 2012, 20:03   #20
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
Sounds like it actually works... I might have to look into it. Though I still want to try that RAT out.
it's more comfortable that's for sure, but for any competitive gaming i couldn't recommend it just because of how picky it is.

Old 9th July 2012, 21:49   #21
Hypnose

Have any one triet Ace of sweden Edge GX500 mice i like the grip on it
Hypnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 04:38   #22
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

honestly, aside from it being a small no-name brand, i really couldn't say i'd recommend anyone use something like that for competitive gaming, sounds like it has the basics of a good gaming mouse though at least, weight adjustment, dpi adjustment, profile switching button.

but well i have problems with the implementation of at least the dpi adjustment on that particular mouse, you seem to have to keep clicking it upwards to get to a lower dpi setting than the one you're currently at, that is no good, if you're going to spend money on a mouse that has dpi adjustment controls as physical buttons like that you're going to want to use them in game while you are playing, if someone gets to a good spot for cover i'll frequently knock the dpi down a notch to make sniping them out easier, with the way something like that works you'd possibly have to hit the dpi switch 4 times to get to the dpi setting just one below your current, horrible design, nothing more to it, you need up and down, not one or the other for it to be worth using and you want the dpi buttons away from where you are going to rest your palm as well.

which brings me to the next major criticism i have of a mouse like that, both your profile change and dpi adjustment buttons are dead center on the mouse, likely your palm will be resting on top of both of those buttons when you're holding it and cause you to click them on accident if you apply more pressure, also i can't really tell but from the way it looks in a video i watched on youtube it looks like it would be very easy to accidentally click the left or right button if you had too much palm pressure on the mouse, can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like a concern.

Old 9th August 2012, 00:31   #23
caitcid

I thought this thread was gonna be about, Mus musculus.
caitcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 08:33   #24
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Here House's pet (Rat) Steve Mc Queen
Happy? Good!
Old 9th August 2012, 20:35   #25
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Here House's pet (Rat) Steve Mc Queen
Happy? Good!
Where did Steve go?
Old 19th August 2012, 17:40   #26
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well at any rate, it sort of figures now that i've already spent the money on a new one i notice something like this.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.35208800

it's pretty much the exact same mouse functionally, even does wireless and wired and it's adjustable like the old RAT 7 i replaced, it's like razer is reading this thread or something, dammit, now i've got a reason to blow another $130.

Old 19th August 2012, 18:51   #27
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Oh shit, I never knew Razer did anything like that! I would have let you know.

It's not all that bad looking either, thought I'd be mighty afraid of dropping that or it falling off my desk.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 19th August 2012, 21:32   #28
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

they didn't mike, until sometime after i bought this one.

also, if i'm honest, if you have problems dropping your mouse... yeah, something wrong there.

Old 19th August 2012, 22:14   #29
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Yeah my mouse gets knocked off my desk often, usually by a cat.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 19th August 2012, 22:49   #30
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ That's your cat's job!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions