Old 20th October 2003, 05:49   #41
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

OK...now I found this thread which is where my post above probably should have been placed. They're all over the place and there's no map! (J/K... )

The reason I posted here is because in bold letters at the entry to this forum it says "Winamp 5 related posts belong here".

Oh well...If it needs to be moved, I'm sure it can be.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
Old 20th October 2003, 07:22   #42
Sawg

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
The reason I posted here is because in bold letters at the entry to this forum it says "Winamp 5 related posts belong here".
Fine, fixxed that at least.

Old 20th October 2003, 14:06   #43
retchless

Mp3 CD Burning

I've posted this before on another thread, but recieved no response.

I've noticed that Winamp 5 only has support for burning Music CDs. I have an MP3 CD player and buying Winamp 5 Pro would be SOOO worth it if I could burn winamp playlists to Mp3 Data CDs. Any chance of this happening before release time or in the near future? If not, is there any program that will take an m3u file and burn its contents to a Data CD?? I think that this feature would be great to add to the winamp 5 wishlist. I doubt that i'm the only one that would find this useful.
Old 20th October 2003, 14:18   #44
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

iTunes can do this....it's the only free program I know off the top of my head...there are almost certainly others.

Save your playlist in m3u from Winamp. Open iTunes, choose Import...(Ctrl-Shift-O) from the file menu. Be sure that the "Files of Type..." field is set to m3u or all, or you won't see your playlist (.txt is selected by default here). Then a new playlist in iTunes "source" list will show up and you can choose to burn from there. You have to specify whether you want to burn an mp3, audio, or standard data disc from the preferences, before clicking the burn button.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 20th October 2003, 16:37   #45
retchless

That's great. iTunes works fine, but I'd prefer to use Winamp. Does anyone know if this feature will be added to winamp 5? Can this be passed on to the developers?
Old 20th October 2003, 16:53   #46
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Already has been passed on, and I totally agree it would be a nice feature. More than likely this won't be a 5.0 feature, they're mostly in bug-fix mode now. But we'll see if we can get it into 5.1 or later.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
Old 20th October 2003, 17:11   #47
retchless

Thanks! Winamp 5 rules. Even the beta version is more stable than Winamp 2 ever was. Great job guys! I also love the way there are lots of little check boxes in the properties dialogue. It satisfies my need to constantly reconfigure things
Old 20th October 2003, 17:42   #48
evil_oj

heh,

i remember arguing with a couple of guys on this forum about Winamp5's performance with the freeform skins. looks like i was right! freeform skinloading is much faster and more stable in Winamp5, being based on the more tested codebase of Winamp2.x and that speedups and optimizations of the skin engine would be found faster.

Old 20th October 2003, 18:32   #49
JongAm

Send a message via ICQ to JongAm
Quote:
Originally posted by JongAm
Oh.. Well.. memory footprint is how much memory a program needs or occupies. Therefore if program A provides comparable features to program B, and quality of result are same, then A can be considered better. If programs require small amount of memories, it means that the process is lighter than the process of program B, and can be faster ( not always true, though. ).
No. I think that you didn't try the iTunes for Windows. As far as sound quality is concerned, iTunes for Windows is far better. The free version of DFX module even can't help it much.

However with the iTunes, you have music store, mp3 file sharing, ipod synching, etc, which I don't need much.
They eats memory much.
Well.. mp3 file sharing is cool, but I have other options to share mp3 files, so I don't really need it.
Old 20th October 2003, 19:57   #50
RoK923

Is there a way to disable winamp 5 from being in tha taskbar at startup? I did not find anything about it in preferences.
Old 20th October 2003, 20:09   #51
retchless

Go into the preferences and it's listed under General Preferences. It says "Show Winamp In:" and there is Taskbar and System Tray. Check the one(s) that you want.
Old 20th October 2003, 20:16   #52
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You mean at Windows startup? ie. the icon in the systray next to the clock?
If so, then: Prefs -> File Types
Uncheck the following under "Winamp Agent"
Enable / show system tray icon / maintain file associations
Or, if you want the Agent enabled but don't want the icon, just uncheck "show systray icon" . . .

Or did you mean what retchless said?
Old 20th October 2003, 20:26   #53
RoK923

I meant what you said dj egg, but all I needed to uncheck was winamp agent. I wanted to do this because for some reason it makes starting up a little slower.
Old 20th October 2003, 20:30   #54
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Fixed my issues!

Playing with the (very nice, BTW) myriad of configurable options under Preferences, under Prefs --> Titles, I turned off "Use advanced title formatting when possible", after which international characters were displayed properly again.

And since this reverts to title display formatting defined in the input plug-in configuration, I was worried that it wouldn't be saved upon closing and restarting Winamp (as was the case with 5 alpha and previous 2.9n versions). But 5 beta saved my entry of [%artist% ~ ][%album% ~ ]$if2(%title%,%filename%) as it should.

So, I'm one more fully satisfied neurotic perfectionist. Keep up the great work, guys!

Old 20th October 2003, 20:57   #55
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

lol, told you so

btw, the original instructions I gave you were for Winamp 5 Beta
Old 20th October 2003, 23:35   #56
Zulithe

There's some seriously odd things going on with skins in this beta! not only does it show part of winamp2.x playlist skin on opening and when changing skins (as already listed as a bug) but the Main Window keeps disappearing in the wa5 skin, when i try to minimize it shows a portion of the wa2.x Main Window (just a small area wtf!?!?!) if i change the skin to any other classic skin it shows the same area of the other skin, but not the full window. deleting winamp.ini seems to fix it temporarily, until it somehow happens again
Old 20th October 2003, 23:43   #57
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

All of the bugs/glitches listed in the known bugs thread are already fixed.
Old 21st October 2003, 00:53   #58
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_oj
heh,

i remember arguing with a couple of guys on this forum about Winamp5's performance with the freeform skins. looks like i was right! freeform skinloading is much faster and more stable in Winamp5, being based on the more tested codebase of Winamp2.x and that speedups and optimizations of the skin engine would be found faster.

I might have been one of those guys..
And to be honest, I maintain my original opinion..
Wa3 #499 loads skins as fast as Wa5 does.
And there's no reason it shouldn't, since it's the SAME code.

I like the Modern skin by bartibartman, and some other new stuff introduced in Wa5.
However, I do think Wa3 could have done all that better, geven a chance to develop properly..

I just hope that there's still hope for Wa3 beeing continued and not abandoned completely..

-Plague
Old 21st October 2003, 01:04   #59
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I'd get used to the absense of Winamp3-labeled software in the near-to-distant future. It's pretty much a dead format(this from the top, not my opinion). But the wasabi technology may(probably will) continue to get incorporated into things winampy and otherwise. So it hasn't been abandoned completely, just assimilated .

As a personal note, I'm still hurting over this fact. 499 showed so much promise, I thought we'd be back on track in a major way after it's release and.....pfft...nothing. Oh well, such is life. If we can get the script manager back into 5, I'll have no real reason to continue starting Winamp3, outside of nostalgia.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
Old 21st October 2003, 01:06   #60
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
How did you learn of Winamp3's death? Is it official, or a rumor, or an assumption, or did it come directly from Brennan, or what?

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 21st October 2003, 01:13   #61
Sawg

Steve said so, he is the admin and the WA3 Project Manager, iirc.

Old 21st October 2003, 02:38   #62
Helkite

WHAT? So Winamp3 is officially dead?!

And all this time you guys insisted that "Winamp3 is still being worked on, being tweaked to perfection..." Well, it's sad to hear that, but I guess Winamp5 more than replaces WA3... I hope (and it's probably true) that WA5 will have more success than WA3...
Old 21st October 2003, 03:02   #63
NeoChaos

Send a message via AIM to NeoChaos
Quote:
Originally posted by Zulithe
There's some seriously odd things going on with skins in this beta! not only does it show part of winamp2.x playlist skin on opening and when changing skins (as already listed as a bug) but the Main Window keeps disappearing in the wa5 skin, when i try to minimize it shows a portion of the wa2.x Main Window (just a small area wtf!?!?!) if i change the skin to any other classic skin it shows the same area of the other skin, but not the full window. deleting winamp.ini seems to fix it temporarily, until it somehow happens again
Hey, I had this problem as well. I thought I had fixed it by uninstalling the modern skins, but your fix is more effective.
Old 21st October 2003, 03:58   #64
bmezenga

Send a message via ICQ to bmezenga
Quote:
Originally posted by Plague
I might have been one of those guys..
And to be honest, I maintain my original opinion..
Wa3 #499 loads skins as fast as Wa5 does.
And there's no reason it shouldn't, since it's the SAME code.
SAME code is different then SAME algoritm...
an algoritm needs an language to be coded.

AFAIK, wa3 is aimed to be multiplataform, so it can´t have "hard" optimizations because it´s a headache to have hard optimized code compiling in several different plataforms...

Freeform skins engine have the same algoritm in wa3 and wa5 but wa5 is an win32 only application so the code can be hard optimized to use windows api, x86 assembly, or any other thing that improves it´s performance, reliability or whatever.
Old 21st October 2003, 04:30   #65
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
lol, told you so

btw, the original instructions I gave you were for Winamp 5 Beta
Yes you did...and thank you! If I had only listened the first time.

The title format string is still not being saved in the Vorbis input section, though, so I put a description in the WA5b1 bug thread...here. (I don't know how to link to a particular post in vB...sorry.)

Old 21st October 2003, 04:49   #66
Mystiq

Send a message via AIM to Mystiq
I have but one thing to say regarding Winamp 5

ROCK!
Old 21st October 2003, 07:09   #67
D&B
Banned

HOLY SHIT.

This blew me away. Thank you Nullsoft (I already tried to buy the Pro version but I cant!).

I love the new modern skin, and all the new functionality. This kicks ass! I cant wait for the CD burning shit too.

All the ML improvements are so welcome! Thank you!
-----
A question I ask myself is what other apps do I use that Winamp should do? 2 things come to mind. First, is I use EAC for ripping Music CDs. Why? Because I want to rip them once and know they are of the upmost perfect quality. I see winamp is going to use LAME (sweet!) but what about error correction during ripping? Is anything going to be done about that?

The 2nd thing I use that would be cool if it was integrated into winamp but probably never will be is Ephpod for awesome Ipod support.
Old 21st October 2003, 08:39   #68
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
I'd get used to the absense of Winamp3-labeled software in the near-to-distant future. It's pretty much a dead format(this from the top, not my opinion). But the wasabi technology may(probably will) continue to get incorporated into things winampy and otherwise. So it hasn't been abandoned completely, just assimilated .
Now see, that's just a thing I'm having a really hard time to accept.

Winamp5 came because alot of the Winamp2 fans didn't like Winamp3's initial release and didn't follow the internal's after it, so they all just said Winamp3 sucks.
They never even gave Winamp3 a chance to mature..

And now, when Winamp5 is coming, they stop developing Winamp3 completely, disapointing the Winamp3 fans instead.

In my opinion, with the promise 499 showed, Winamp3 could easily do everything Winamp5 does, but faster and on multiple platforms. Aswell as having every window skinned (no such thing in Winamp5, standardframe is a thing of the past because of this), and all the nice improvements in for example the Playlist Editor (I just love the sidecar).

There are alot of things lacking in Winamp2/5, for it to be a true replacement for Winamp3.

I do like the way Winamp2/5 is going, but I don't like that they feel Winamp3 no longer needs to be developed at all..

They are two separate projects, why not keep it that way?
Why not have both?

Winamp3 could be what Mozilla is (was, since Netscape is dying now) for Netscape.

I'm hurting really badly here...
I've always loved Winamp, and I will continue to love Winamp2/5, but if Winamp5 means killing Winamp3 for good (it wasn't supposed to die when they first announced Winamp5), then that love will be both sweet and sour, if you know what I mean...

This is just my own opinion, but I do believe there are several people who will agree...

-Plague
Old 21st October 2003, 09:14   #69
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

And I'm one of those who agree Plague . . . Winamp3 development should continue. Who knows what will happen? Maybe it will eventually resurface as Winamp6 (twice as good & powerful as Winamp3), by which time, most users will have hardware & OS to support it.
Wasabi development will thrive, no matter what the outcome.

But right now, I'm loving Winamp 5 (sure, I've still got 3 Winamp3 builds installed as well, but I only open them these days to compare them with the latest 5 build). More and more Winamp3 features are being implemented. All that's missing (and it's a big all) is:
- playlist sidecar (possibly never, but at least we've got this in the library, and you can open any of the stored playlists via pledit -> list button);
- enqueue/dequeue (play next) - this could be a bugger to implement in winamp playlist? (this will be the most missed feature. More people will be downloading wincue plugin, I guess);
- skinned dialogs (you'd think Prefs could be skinned, not sure about File Info Editors though);
- WAC support (maybe in a later release, maybe never);
- full script support (ditto);
- sort by track (ditto);
- Working Xfade button & slider (already implemented in latest build, yay!)

Main thing is there's plenty of time to work on implementing these features.
Maybe not in the same way as Winamp3, but I expect there to be lots of updates released, eg. 5.1, 5.2 . . . 5.8, 5.9, and then who knows what we'll have ?!?!

Whatever the case, don't get too disheartened Plague.
Hey, maybe Brennan will shock us all and release a build #500
Old 21st October 2003, 10:18   #70
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

yea, I really hope so.
But even if he does, Winamp3 is still "dead" in most peoples eyes, including Nullsoft employee's..
That's the main thing that needs to be changed in some way or another..
Especially if Winamp3 is to resurface again sometime in the future..

It doesn't have to be a main project of Nullsoft, it doesn't even have to be listed on the webpage at all, but it does need to be supported by Nullsoft staff, so that it can be kept up to date, and have features of Winamp2/5 that needs licenses...

I am happy about Winamp 5 though, and I do hope they somehow manage to implement most (if not all) the features you listed above..

-Plague
Old 21st October 2003, 12:18   #71
amano
Major Dude

hmm.
at the moment winamp3 seems to be nothing more than a wasabi example toy.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 21st October 2003, 13:09   #72
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

I like toys..

-Plague
Old 21st October 2003, 13:11   #73
amano
Major Dude

so do I

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 21st October 2003, 13:34   #74
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
- playlist sidecar (possibly never, but at least we've got this in the library, and you can open any of the stored playlists via pledit -> list button);
- enqueue/dequeue (play next) - this could be a bugger to implement in winamp playlist? (this will be the most missed feature. More people will be downloading wincue plugin, I guess);
I just came to think of a way to implement a better Playlist Editor, more like the Winamp3 one, without destroying compatibility with thousands of Classic winamp skins..
They could construct a new editor using the same generic window as the midea library does.
That way they could implement whatever they want into the editor and still maintain skin compatibility..

It wouldn't be the first time they ditched some part of the classic skin (avs frame for example, when they made the generic frame).

-Plague
Old 21st October 2003, 13:44   #75
amano
Major Dude

@missing enqueue feature:
maybe it can be included in the "jump to file" dialog (by pressing j)

you search for the song, then you right click it and tell it to enqueue.
for shuffled playback maybe an "enqueued songs" list could be displayed in/beyond/under/beside the "jump to file" menu, that you can see which songs are played next.
in normal playback this list wouldn't be needed, the songs would just be enqueued below the currently played song.
this wouldn't break any themes and would be at least better than nothing.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 21st October 2003, 18:37   #76
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@amano
Yes, if it used a gen plugin interface for the new "enqueued list" window, that could work. Not sure though. Maybe something like Shift+J could bring up a different (but similar looking) Jump-to-File box (like Yonido's WA3 component)...

I reckon if Nullsoft doesn't implement it (which I'm quite confident they will, eventually), then some 3rd-party plugin developer will definitely devise a cool method.
I know plugins already exist, but most of us will want it to be more integrated, instead of it being yet another window to contend with....

@Plague
I like that idea.
Freeform skins would use new pledit, whereas classics still use the old one.
Yes, maybe this is how it could be done.
I don't fully understand how the freeform engine works, but would it mean that no 3rd-party skins will need updating (to skin the new window)?
ie. it would use classic gen.bmp equivalent (whatever.png in freeform skin), or would it require a new png & xml file?

Basically, I can't imagine what it would be like to be forced to use the classic baseskin (just for this new window) with all freeform skins (other than Modern) until 3rd-party skin authors update their skins.
Old 21st October 2003, 19:51   #77
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Actually, both Freeform and Classic skins would use the new pledit.
classic would use it with the gen.bmp (just like the media library does) and freeform would use it with the equivalent (standardframe).
No new png and xml would be needed..

The media library use a generic frame in both classic and freeform skins, the new pledit would use the exact same frame..

Nothing new would need to be added.

-Plague
Old 21st October 2003, 21:03   #78
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by bmezenga
SAME code is different then SAME algoritm...
an algoritm needs an language to be coded.

AFAIK, wa3 is aimed to be multiplataform, so it can´t have "hard" optimizations because it´s a headache to have hard optimized code compiling in several different plataforms...

Freeform skins engine have the same algoritm in wa3 and wa5 but wa5 is an win32 only application so the code can be hard optimized to use windows api, x86 assembly, or any other thing that improves it´s performance, reliability or whatever.
Hey someone gets the point I was arguing in dozens of posts months ago! cool!
Old 21st October 2003, 21:09   #79
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by Plague
Winamp3 could be what Mozilla is (was, since Netscape is dying now) for Netscape.
Well Mozilla is slow. MyIE2 is a lot faster because it's only available on Windows, kind of like why Winamp2x is better to make an mp3 player from because it will have more optimizations or opportunities for optimizations. Unfortunately the tiny minority of people who stubbornly use Linux and want a good mp3 player program will have to stick to XMMS, while Mac users can keep using iTunes. Anyone who uses any other obscure OS can make their own mp3 player, or buy an overpriced iPod. done! Keep Winamp on Windows, as evil as Microsoft is blah blah blah
Old 21st October 2003, 21:35   #80
blackstripe

Send a message via ICQ to blackstripe Send a message via AIM to blackstripe
Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
A question I ask myself is what other apps do I use that Winamp should do? 2 things come to mind. First, is I use EAC for ripping Music CDs. Why? Because I want to rip them once and know they are of the upmost perfect quality. I see winamp is going to use LAME (sweet!) but what about error correction during ripping? Is anything going to be done about that?
Why would you actually pay to use LAME in Winamp when you can use EAC and LAME for free and specify encoding options (such as -alt-preset-standard)? In addition, the version of LAME included with Winamp is v1.1... we've got development of LAME v4.0 going on here people. Catch up with the times.

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_oj
Well Mozilla is slow. MyIE2 is a lot faster because it's only available on Windows, kind of like why Winamp2x is better to make an mp3 player from because it will have more optimizations or opportunities for optimizations.
Define slow. Mozilla is faster for me than Internet Explorer any day.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion