Old 29th April 2002, 07:09   #1
watussi

ReflectionLayer

Skin/Script related topic

Yesterday i'v got an idea triggered by that picture (in post).

I could imagine that the [ Layer,<layer/> ] will be also extended by something I call [ ReflectionLayer,<reflectionlayer/> ].

It is a layer that reflects|mirrors the desktopbackground on itself. The effect is like tree reflections on your cars windshield (-screen) by driving over an avenue. If you move your skin around so the reflections will change as your desktopbackground.

Here an ad hoc example (don't verify):

[wal]

code:

<reflectionlayer
x="" y="" relatx="" relaty=""
w="" h="" relatw="" relath=""

.. and those typical layer attributes

flipv="0 | 1" (flip vertical yes | no)
fliph="0 | 1" (flip horizontal yes | no)
mirror="0 | 1" (mirror yes | no)
rflxarea="50px" (desktoparea around the skin that will be reflected in pixel)

direction="topleft | top | topright | left | right | bottomleft | bottom | bottomright"
(preferred reflection direction)
/>

[maki]

code:

int ReflectionLayer.getDirection()
ReflectionLayer.setDirection(int direction | int direction | int direction | ..)

.. and some necessary more

I'm not sure whether it is realizable or whether it takes too much CPU usage but I think it would be a cool feature for skinners.

bye
Old 30th April 2002, 08:11   #2
watussi

No good explanation?
No good idea?

anybody?
Old 3rd May 2002, 06:44   #3
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
THIS IS AN AWSOME IDEA!

i might stick in a furthur skin too. i think the reason for no replies is because we have not seen it in action. maybe make that skin as it to show this thing off!

Old 3rd May 2002, 23:03   #4
watussi

mc^^^^ : I havn't understood what you said.

awesome == terrible ?

I can just speak "1000-word-airport-english" as everybody can, in the world. I can't understand slang because I'm from a different culture as you.

My dictionary couldn`t translate your statement. So hmmm ..
Old 3rd May 2002, 23:52   #5
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

Location: The box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's bait Shop. You know the place.
Send a message via Yahoo to jon_joy_1999
ok watussi
what I think mc^^^^ was trying to say was that he thinks that having the script (what you wrote about) was a real excellent idea, and that he thinks someone should put it into a skin to try it out, because if no one see's the way it works then nobody will be interested in it.
hope that helps
peace
jjoy01

Old 4th May 2002, 01:39   #6
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
yes, that is right jon_joy_1999. any chance of a skin with this script in it watussi?

Old 4th May 2002, 01:55   #7
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

Location: The box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's bait Shop. You know the place.
hey watussi
if you do make a skin with the script e-mail me because I have winamp 3 and I'd like to try it out. It doesn't look like it should be too CPU intensive. The only place that I could see a slow-down would be the "refreshing" of the desktop on the skin. Oh and one more thing, you would have to make custom for each skin since every skin is different (unless its a rip or an upgrade[then it is slightly different])
alright
peace
jjoy01

Old 4th May 2002, 02:01   #8
mc^^^^
Forum King

if you have nowhere to host it just attatch the skin as either a zip or a wal file

if you need any more help just ask

Old 4th May 2002, 07:12   #9
watussi

thx for your comments and thx for the retranslation jon_joy_1999

The ReflectionLayer,<reflectionlayer/> had to be an extension of the "maki"-part of WASABI and also had to be implemented in the "WAL"-DocTypeDefinition like the "AnimatedLayer". So I can't do so because of my low C/C++ skills. Maybe Francis from Nullsoft is the right person to turn to. I was just giving the idea. And I would really like to see it too .

Maybe there is a way to do it in the exsisting maki - I don't belive in it.

bye
Old 4th May 2002, 19:32   #10
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

I was thinking that maybe you could e-mail someone who does skins like maybe spleen (I have no idea) at spleen@net.hr. he does XML and MAKI coding and I have 2 of the skins that he helped make. (the best one in my opinion is Digitalium)
umm thats about it
peace
jjoy01

Old 5th May 2002, 08:58   #11
watussi

Hmmm .. jon_joy_1999 ..

It's no matter of a skindesigner. It has to do with the SystemDesign of the 'maki'-Language w.r.t. 'Wasabi'.

You have to be a member|programmer at Nullsoft to implement such things ( NullsoftProgrammers ). And after that we skinners could use that new feature.

As I said, Francis should read this thread and had to decide to take over 'ReflectionLayer' in 'maki' or not.

bye
Old 5th May 2002, 09:06   #12
mc^^^^
Forum King

heres my thoughts on what you would need to do:

have a hidden layer on the skin that covers the area to be reflected, then get winamp to take a screenshot of that certain area. flip the image upside down or whatever, then paste it over the skin as a seperate layer over all the other layers.

the only hard bit would be mutating the layer so it is the same 'height' as the skin, and other weird mutations.

Old 5th May 2002, 09:18   #13
watussi

Quote:
then get winamp to take a screenshot of that certain area
.. tell me how Winamp3 could do that ..
Old 5th May 2002, 09:54   #14
mc^^^^
Forum King

im not sure there is a function to do that yet...

Old 7th May 2002, 00:35   #15
LENZ.NET

Send a message via ICQ to LENZ.NET
It would be possible for a component developer to add this sort of thing to Maki really, but it is probably fairly hard. I don't know the SDK that well so I'm not even going to give it a go. It would be definately possible though.

"Some dance to remember, Some dance to forget."
Spacer | Previewer |
Old 7th May 2002, 10:07   #16
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

If this is done, I will absolutly add it to Console!! (screenshot in this thread's original post)

That would make Console much better looking.

One thing though, that reflection layer needs to have desktopalpha support too, coz otherwise it will look ugly on almost every skin, since most skins have anti-aliased edges.

-Plague
Old 7th May 2002, 23:48   #17
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

I totally agree with plague but what happens if you set like the main area to like 50% opacity what happens then (that should be real interesting)
peace
jjoy01

Old 8th May 2002, 11:32   #18
mc^^^^
Forum King

windows would probably crash

wouldnt the relfection just become mildly opaqe at the same time?

i think this feature may be way off in the distance, but i could be wrong.

Old 8th May 2002, 17:37   #19
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

It's not really been done much outside of Nullsoft, but the SDK allows you to make new script objects in a component. Someone could just make ReflectionLayer for reals in a component, then you just install that component if you want that new object in your skin.

--Brennan
Old 9th May 2002, 08:01   #20
watussi

Quote:
Someone could just make ReflectionLayer for reals in a component
But you have always to ship such a component in your 'Skin.wal' file. I don't know wether it is possible to pack a WAC file in it and wether the skin can comunicate with the WAC because it is not located in the 'Winamp3/Wacs/' filefolder. Another point is the size of such a skin (incl. a WAC).. hmmm ?!?

If the 'ReflectionLayer.WAC' has to be shipped seperately from the skin, noone would download that. People are typically to comfort-loving.

Brennan : Are the <Elements Attributes="Values" /> in the WAL-XML-DTD already fixed?

bye

P.S.: Oh holy s**t, I could really do more for my English-grammar skills. I already bought a new dictionary, yesterday.
Old 9th May 2002, 14:45   #21
Naamloos
Forum King

Use an installer, that would do the rest.
Old 9th May 2002, 18:37   #22
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

or, just write some system requirements stuff with link to the wac, on the skin download page.
I don't think it's a problem to have this kind of wac a third party one..

Would be fun if someone in the Dev-forum would like to make this kind of thing..

-Plague
Old 9th May 2002, 23:48   #23
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

just a thought, but I think your english is excelent i'm mean its execlent, just one spelling problem and it might not even be a error. maybe its me cuz its a word that i get wrong every single time. so don't feel bad
peace
jjoy01

Old 10th May 2002, 06:53   #24
watussi

Quote:
Naamloos:
Use an installer, that would do the rest.
Yes I also thought about that but that's what I wanted to be prevented from.

Installer form an UNKNOWN Person = Direct VIRUS Import

I don't like EXE files (as skin package) very much.

bye

PS: Thx very much jon_joy_YYYY. I would feel better if you were right .
Old 10th May 2002, 14:02   #25
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by watussi

I don't like EXE files (as skin package) very much.
I agree, the winamp2 skins were such a great thing in the way they self-installed. But, in some cases, it's not such a bad thing to have a lite installer to be able to do so much more with it...and NSIS now has a super-paranoid crc check that should do a lot to prevent virus infections of itself....I think.

Perhaps there's a way to compromise...have the skin report any dependencies it might have before it can load...I don't like dependencies either, though.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 10th May 2002, 23:25   #26
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

I understand what Watussi is talking about
Quote:
but I trust that whatever winamp puts on its servers is virus free. thats why I downloaded Mr. guicci off of the WA site despite all of the Virus reports. and I think the only people who are really known are the people who have posted a million billion things and most plug-ins come in an .exe installer. so I don't think you'll have a problem. I mean Ive downloaded several things for Winamp3 and most of them came from an install that came from winamp.
thats my $.02
peace
jjoy01

Old 12th May 2002, 05:44   #27
mc^^^^
Forum King

so is this accually goint to become a component? is someone going to try do it?

Old 14th May 2002, 23:46   #28
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

I hope so. I would do it but I'm so ignorant in this Winamp3 stuff I don't know what half of it is, but if I knew how to do all of these things I would (I just want to be here to keep everything in check)
peace
jjoy01

Old 15th May 2002, 00:06   #29
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

well, if someone could post it on the development forum, they might actually do it.
I don't think it should to hard for one of them to do it, they just need to be informed or something..

-Plague
Old 15th May 2002, 00:44   #30
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

sounds like a job for watussi. hey watussi if you need any help or don't want to do it, I can. so in the famous words of my late dad "Go get 'em tiger"
peace
jjoy01

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion > Winamp3 Wishlist