Old 27th May 2002, 11:13   #1
watussi

maki vs. EMCA-262

Why is maki not concepted as an ECMA compatible Scriptlanguage like Javascript?

notes: DOM-operability, Core-implementation, Bindings for special tasks etc.

bye
watussi
Old 27th May 2002, 13:53   #2
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

because its for wasabi, not going to be used in other applications, thus would be pointless to use something other than specific to the platform it was intended for.

Old 28th May 2002, 07:46   #3
watussi

Yes in this sense you are right CraigF. But I meant in particular some parts of the Syntax of maki.

And also I thouht if WA3 uses XML as a datacontainer and to initiate its objects (i.e. GuiObjects), why not use a scriptlanguage which can already manipulate such things.

Yes, maybe things like #include "../../../lib/std.mi" are not possible, but are they necessary for skinners? I'm not sure.

I don't know wether maki is used by people wich are coding wacs. If so, then I could understand why maki is so close to C language. That means just one language for Skinners and Componenters .

Hmmm .. questions over questions ..

bye
watussi
Old 28th May 2002, 08:19   #4
LENZ.NET

Send a message via ICQ to LENZ.NET
Personally I don't like the whole include structure, this has been discussed on more than one occasion in skins and scripting but I'll say it again.

I'm not sure what it could be replaced by (so this isn't going to help much) but it is sort of an older concept and to me, would be nice to be changed to something else. The way it operates at the moment though, is valid XML and I'm under the impression that that is going to be remedied.

"Some dance to remember, Some dance to forget."
Spacer | Previewer |
Old 28th May 2002, 09:56   #5
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

However, maki is not used for making wacs, they're done in C++. From what I've seen of maki I like very much, although I haven't coded with it - it's much nicer than something like JavaScript IMHO.

There's no real incentive to make the scripting language compliant with ECMA, it's better to have a language that's good at what it's designed for than to have one that's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. I personally (and I daresay many other people) have a pathological ingrained hate of javascript from badly-coded websites .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 28th May 2002, 19:12   #6
watussi

Thanks you all for your good arguments pro|contra.

bye
watussi

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion